• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Luigi87

Oli said:
In The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker, some of the islands represented locations from The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

The Forest Haven island, for instance, is connected to Kokiri Forest. Signified by the presence of the Deku Tree, and the music which is very similar

Being the starting area, Outset Island's theme also contains sections that are from Kokiri Forest

KevinCow

Banned
sn00zer said:
Woah after a half a year of waiting to get approved I can finally post this
Both the Soul Calibur series and Tekken series are in the same universe, although tekken takes place hundreds of years in the future, besides the obvious (Yoshimitsu) there is an awesome easter egg in Tekken 5

Tekken 5:
http://www.tekken-series.com/tekken5/stages/pirate_cove_2.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://www.tekken-series.com/tekken5/stages/pirate_cove_3.jpg[IMG]
Soul Calibur 2:
[IMG]http://images.psxextreme.com/screenshots/ps2_soul_calibur/ps2_soul_calibur_185_med.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://images.psxextreme.com/screenshots/ps2_soul_calibur/ps2_soul_calibur_139_med.jpg[IMG]
the "Pirate's Cove" stage is the same stage found in Soul Calibur 2, but after a hundred or so years of plundering[/QUOTE]

Heh, that's pretty cool.

m00

This isn't a video game fact, but a fact about one of GAF's favorite media personages.

If you look up badass in the (Merriam-Webster) dictionary, you'll see N'Gai Croal's name. Yeah.

Merriam-Webster Online said:
Main Entry: ¹bad·ass
Pronunciation: \-ˌas\
Function: adjective
Date: 1955
1 often vulgar : ready to cause or get into trouble : mean <pretending to be a badass gunslinger — L. L. King>
2 often vulgar : of formidable strength or skill <such a badass guitar player — N'Gai Croal>

EDIT: D'oh, rehosted.

In Final Fantasy 4, on your second trip through the tower of Bab-il, you fall through a pitfall in the crystal room after beating Rubicante:

crystal.gif

Notice there are only seven crystals. A nice touch, although none of them use the dark crystal sprites. Trying to take them crashes the game. The room is also oddly designed, in that there's no walkable path to the middle.

Also notice the door at the back.
With a game genie and the walk-though-walls code, you can go through this door, which will deposit you on the walkway behind the room, directly up from the entrance door.

b5f.gif

As you can see, there's another door there! Unfortunately, trying to go through it just produces some weird tile glitches in the room, but there it is.
A vestige of a cut area?
Just a decoration, suggesting there's much more to the tower than we get to see?
The path to wherever Golbez was hanging out, or even the teleporter that he planned to use to get to the moon?
You be the judge.

FYI, these doors are cut in the DS version, but I know the crystal room one is still there in Edge's Tale in The After Years. Not sure of it's status in the GBA version.

Credit to ian-albert.com for the images.

feel

HisshouBuraiKen said:
In Final Fantasy 4, on your second trip through the tower of Bab-il, you fall through a pitfall in the crystal room after beating Rubicante:

2gtc2hf.jpg

Notice there are only seven crystals. A nice touch, although none of them use the dark crystal sprites. Trying to take them crashes the game. The room is also oddly designed, in that there's no walkable path to the middle.

Also notice the door at the back.
With a game genie and the walk-though-walls code, you can go through this door, which will deposit you on the walkway behind the room, directly up from the entrance door.

2el6sxt.jpg

As you can see, there's another door there! Unfortunately, trying to go through it just produces some weird tile glitches in the room, but there it is.
A vestige of a cut area?
Just a decoration, suggesting there's much more to the tower than we get to see?
The path to wherever Golbez was hanging out, or even the teleporter that he planned to use to get to the moon?
You be the judge.

FYI, these doors are cut in the DS version, but I know the crystal room one is still there in Edge's Tale in The After Years. Not sure of it's status in the GBA version.

rehosted

Parham

Banned
Not really mind blowing per se, but the company that made this:

2i6meeh.jpg

Also made the original Xbox and Xbox 360 visual boot up sequences.

Also, I'm not sure if this has already been posted or not, but the font used for "The Price is Right" logo is the same as the one used for Grand Theft Auto logo.

Edit: Pics removed, already been posted multiple times. :p

I wonder how many people still have Xboxes with the original boot-up sequence left in. :lol "My XBMC screen looks nothing like that!"

As for the Price is Right/GTA4 thing, it was quoted twice on the previous page alone. May as well just edit that out.

MarkusRJR

ReyVGM said:
Milon's Secret Castle has another ending :O

This is kind of old (in Internet age), but a few weeks ago AdamL from GameFAQs let me know of a "cheat" posted for Milon's Secret Castle saying that if you beat the game 4 times in a row (it's actually only 2 times in a row) you get an extra ending.

I went ahead and tried it out and indeed, you do get something different for your second quest ending:

milonsecret-5.png

Totally not worth it, but I guess finding out about an extra ending for a 20 year old game we thought we knew everything about was kind of the exciting part!

In that note I decided to give the GameBoy version another shot, just in case, and I found that it also has longer ending if you manage to find all the items.

This time the characters get married:

miloncastle-12.png
The sequel to Milon's Secret Castle is 1000 times better than the original. God, what a huge waste of time that game was. *waves fist angrily*

If you didn't know already, DoReMi Fantasy for the SNES (japan-only) is Milon's Secret Castle's sequel.

Jasoco

Banned
BowieZ said:
The often overlooked Main Theme from Super Mario Galaxy - all 30 iterations throughout the game's score...

Some more obvious, some more cleverly concealed during the thick of the action... did you hear them all?
Please don't link to zShare anymore. They tried to trick me into thinking my Mac was infected with viruses by showing me a fake Windows "Explorer" window and starting multiple downloads of EXE files of their "virus software".

It did cheer me up though. It was fun taunting the site since it couldn't actually hurt me at all no matter how hard it tried.

Use Mediafire if you need an alternative.
http://www.mediafire.com/
Muuuuch better.

Anyway, on topic. That MP3 was awesome. I never noticed all the music was just variations of one tune. It made me remember how good the Galaxy soundtrack is. I think I'm gonna listen to it again now. :D

MNC

Jasoco said:
Please don't link to zShare anymore. They tried to trick me into thinking my Mac was infected with viruses by showing me a fake Windows "Explorer" window and starting multiple downloads of EXE files of their "virus software".

It did cheer me up though. It was fun taunting the site since it couldn't actually hurt me at all no matter how hard it tried.

Use Mediafire if you need an alternative.
http://www.mediafire.com/
Muuuuch better.

Anyway, on topic. That MP3 was awesome. I never noticed all the music was just variations of one tune. It made me remember how good the Galaxy soundtrack is. I think I'm gonna listen to it again now. :D
That's clutty Mcclutter.

sn00zer

The main character from the Bouncer looks exactly like a grown up Sora. Note the jacket, hair style, KH2 gloves, and KH hip chain.
The_Bouncer_Sion.jpg
qn4l8i.jpg
10cs1nq.jpg

BowieZ

Banned
Orpheon said:
Won't necessarily blow your mind, but will hopefully put a smile on the faces of those who've yet to realise the musical references.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Title Screen & Intro) - Just recall the intro.

(FYI - The following contains a spoiler from Wind Waker - Just listen to the music if you wish to avoid.)

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - Triforce of Wisdom - @ 2:47. Will automatically start there.
Wow great ears (if you noticed this yourself). It's a pretty clear reference but so fleeting.

Jasoco

Banned
MNC said:
That's clutty Mcclutter.
Of course it is. There's 5 separate download windows for an EXE that I won't even be able to run and a fake Explorer window with a fake popup window in the background. All in an attempt to make me install their virus software.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Oli said:
Another [probably commonly known] VG fact:

In The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker, some of the islands represented locations from The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

The Forest Haven island, for instance, is connected to Kokiri Forest. Signified by the presence of the Deku Tree, and the music which is very similar: Forest Haven Theme, Kokiri Forest Theme.

Additionally, Windfall Island is connected to Kakariko village. The comparisons are a bit more rough on this one, but the music has its similar points if you listen to both closely: Windfall Island Theme, Kakariko Village Theme.

There are other obvious connections to Ocarina of Time, but I won't go into those as I assume just about everyone knows about them.
Well, yeah.
It's set in the same world, 100 years later, flooded. The islands are basically the highest points of elevation from OoT. You even end up in visiting locations from OoT (I know Hyrule Castle, can't remember if there are any others) at the end when you go under the surface of the ocean.

lyre

sn00zer said:
The main character from the Bouncer looks exactly like a grown up Sora. Note the jacket, hair style, KH2 gloves, and KH hip chain.
Not very shocking; they're designed by nomura, a guy with as much range in character design as there are in colours in black.

FoxSpirit

sn00zer said:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9b/The_Bouncer_Sion.jpg
http://i28.tinypic.com/qn4l8i.jpg
http://i25.tinypic.com/10cs1nq.jpg

Wow, that's spot on :lol

Semantic Continuum said:
I don't know if this was found yet (surely it was), but nevertheless :

http://a.imagehost.org/0464/spoonybard.jpg

They really did that? Ahahaha.... :lol

Most of the classic games Miyamoto gets credited with are actually by Takeshi Tezuka.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takashi_Tezuka

His work extends far back to Devil World on which he took on the role of Director. Later, he directed or co-directed games such as the Japanese version of Super Mario Bros. 2, The Legend of Zelda (also Graphic Designer), Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Yoshi's Island and Super Mario 64. He was also Supervisor to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Kirk

Dr. Muganda said:
Most of the classic games Miyamoto gets credited with are actually by Takeshi Tezuka.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takashi_Tezuka

His work extends far back to Devil World on which he took on the role of Director. Later, he directed or co-directed games such as the Japanese version of Super Mario Bros. 2, The Legend of Zelda (also Graphic Designer), Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Yoshi's Island and Super Mario 64. He was also Supervisor to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

One person does not make a game, be it Miyamoto or Tezuka (in fact in most cases they seem to be credited together). That being said, the man should probably get a little bit more credit, but he seems to be a more reserved kind of guy.

HUELEN10

Linkhero1 said:
Can't....unsee......it.
:D EXCELLENT
The US Dollar has so many secret/odd patterns/shapes in it. Here is one that threw me in for a "FedEx Arrow"!
9hmdkz.png

For the record, I'm Jewish, and I never realized this until it was shown to me.

jaxword

HisshouBuraiKen said:
A vestige of a cut area?
You be the judge.

THIS is really, really cool. I LOVE finding new stuff in the early FFs, and I just know tons of stuff was left on the cutting floor. FF6 must have lots as well.

How did you find this? I am really interested in ANYthing else you've found!

mclem

Metal B said:
Tezuka's wife was the inspiration for the Boo, a ghost-like enemy in the Mario series. Like Boos, she is often shy but one day became very angry at him for spending too much time at work.

boo.jpg

:lol :lol

What is it with Japanese depictions of ghosts often having their tongues hanging out? I've never quite made sense of that.

mclem said:
What is it with Japanese depictions of ghosts often having their tongues hanging out? I've never quite made sense of that.
Just guessing, but maybe it's because dead people's tongues hang out? Or at least, they're commonly thought to. No idea if that's true or anything.

honeymustardn said:
I don't think this one has been posted... it's a bit of a stretch, but you might get a kick out of it:

http://i31.tinypic.com/21oy1r9.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Already talked about, also it looks like mario but it's really two lions or animals facing each other with their feet on an object, like the english lions on the queen's emblem.

Diablohead said:
Already talked about, also it looks like mario but it's really two lions or animals facing each other with their feet on an object, like the english lions on the queen's emblem.

Ah, you're right. Kind of like one of those inverted image illusions.

Top Bottom