• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

MNC

Mama Robotnik said:
Yeah, already including it all. This is my start so far:

Loads more to do and loads of gaps but its a start. To Zelda scholars who think the two-timeline theory is complex: Consider this behemoth.

Anyway, to keep this on topic: the videogame fact is: The Mario Timeline is more complicated than the Zelda timeline.
Ho lee shit. You make some charts of this RIGHT NOW.

Sorry if this has been posted before but Michael McConnohie

Is the voice actor for so many things...

- Crackdown : Agency Director
- Dynasty Warriors 4/5 : Zhang Liao/ Zhou tai
- Diablo 2 : Necromancer
- Final Fantasy IV : FuSoYa, Cagnazzo, Zeromus
- Red Faction: Guerilla : The Red Faction Commander
- Soul Calibur 3/4: Astaroth
- Street Fighter 4 : Seth
- Star Ocean: The Last Hope : Stephen D. Kenny (Lightspeed Kenny)
- Warcraft series : Kel'Thuzad, Uther, The Lich King, The Epoch Hunter (CoT Durnhold?)

oracrest

Mamesj said:
34t5y5g.jpg

1zx3x9i.jpg

older than the sun? I just noticed...

mind blown!!!!!

it reminds me of:

sonycantdesignanewfontdr0.jpg

antonlev

I was playing The World Ends with You, and I noticed a hidden pot leaf outside of the Shibu-Q Heads store.

21lio0n.jpg

Nice subliminal advertising, SE :lol

Subliminal42 said:
Sorry if this has been posted before but Michael McConnohie

Is the voice actor for so many things...

- Crackdown : Agency Director
- Dynasty Warriors 4/5 : Zhang Liao/ Zhou tai
- Diablo 2 : Necromancer
- Final Fantasy IV : FuSoYa, Cagnazzo, Zeromus
- Red Faction: Guerilla : The Red Faction Commander
- Soul Calibur 3/4: Astaroth
- Street Fighter 4 : Seth
- Star Ocean: The Last Hope : Stephen D. Kenny (Lightspeed Kenny)
- Warcraft series : Kel'Thuzad, Uther, The Lich King, The Epoch Hunter (CoT Durnhold?)

That reminds me (so, sry if old):
John DiMaggio (the voice of Bender in Futurama) has quite a lot of videogame-roles, too.
As a voiceactor that's obviously not surprising, but I still chuckle when I read his name in the credits or notice his voice (and think of Bender).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_DiMaggio#Video_games
CoD4, Riddick etc. is in there, but here are some of his main roles:

- Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2 (Wakka, Kimahri)
- Final Fantasy XII (Migelo, Gilgamesh)
- Gears of War 1/2 (Marcus Fenix)
- Valkyria Chronicles (Jann, General Georg von Damon)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I lived in Foster City, CA for a couple years (the headquarters of SCEA). It's a very very small suburb of San Francisco with a really small-town feel, so I always though it was weird sony had a big office here.

I always wondered where their office was, when I realized I drove by an office building every day that had a small "Sony" sign out front - not flashy at all. Took me months to notice.

I took a look at the building number and it was 989 Hillsdale.

My reaction? o.0

ZAK

Mama Robotnik said:
Yeah, already including it all. This is my start so far:

Loads more to do and loads of gaps but its a start. To Zelda scholars who think the two-timeline theory is complex: Consider this behemoth.

Anyway, to keep this on topic: the videogame fact is: The Mario Timeline is more complicated than the Zelda timeline.
Mario characters cameo in some Kirby games. Make sure you explain those. Dreamland 3 also has those weird creepy Kirby clones. Maybe you can explain those with time travel or alternate dimensions or something. And if ever one of those universes becomes inconvenient, you could just say Kirby ate it...?

And where does Kirby get Link's hat from whenever he uses the sword? Is it possible that Kirby is the ultimate, final incarnation of Link at the end of the Zelda timeline?

gokieks

Shikashi said:
tha-drought-is-over-62.jpg

Devil%20Jin%20T5DR%20(1).jpg

Far from mind-blowing, but there's a blatant Devil Jin artwork rip-off from T5: DR in there.

Far be it from my intention to be defending what looks like could be one of the worst movies ever made, but black wings aren't exactly something that was first introduced in Tekken.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
gokieks said:
Far be it from my intention to be defending what looks like could be one of the worst movies ever made, but black wings aren't exactly something that was first introduced in Tekken.

Its an album not a movie :lol

And he isnt talking about wayne, he is talking about the the figure in the top left

CB3 said:
Its an album not a movie :lol

And he isnt talking about wayne, he is talking about the the figure in the top left

Mind blown, I didn't even see that :lol

This is the second time I've seen that pic and I couldn't figure out why black wings on a dude were worth noting

rvy

Banned
The chain on his left (right) leg gives it away. They did edit the horns out and darken it a lot, but it's very visible.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ZAK said:
Mario characters cameo in some Kirby games. Make sure you explain those. Dreamland 3 also has those weird creepy Kirby clones. Maybe you can explain those with time travel or alternate dimensions or something. And if ever one of those universes becomes inconvenient, you could just say Kirby ate it...?

And where does Kirby get Link's hat from whenever he uses the sword? Is it possible that Kirby is the ultimate, final incarnation of Link at the end of the Zelda timeline?
Last line sounds good to me.

vulva

zweifuss said:
I always thought that Canadian Hip-Hop group Swollen Members ripped the main rif of their song 'Fuel Injected' from the 'Lava Lagoon' stage of Donkey Kong Country 2.

DKC2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jeNwh33BPk, listen from 0:18 onwards

SM:FI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bpX8MFTahg

I'm not a musician but now I know why I liked that song so much when it was popular in the late 90s...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsAqSJ9xzFU

Just your favourite DJ Saviour

Enosh

Ken Masters said:
most people who follow her are horny pron addicted gamers with little REAL LIFE social interaction with females

so I don't see why you are surprised

sorry to burst your bubble but the average gaffer isn't rolling up to club every weekend with a model in each arm

what? she is hot
sure she isn't "look at my boobjob hot" but she is "normal hot"

Oli

Another [probably commonly known] VG fact:

In The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker, some of the islands represented locations from The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

The Forest Haven island, for instance, is connected to Kokiri Forest. Signified by the presence of the Deku Tree, and the music which is very similar: Forest Haven Theme, Kokiri Forest Theme.

Additionally, Windfall Island is connected to Kakariko village. The comparisons are a bit more rough on this one, but the music has its similar points if you listen to both closely: Windfall Island Theme, Kakariko Village Theme.

There are other obvious connections to Ocarina of Time, but I won't go into those as I assume just about everyone knows about them.

Oli

Here's another snippet.

Not sure if this is 100% confirmed, but apparently the name Pikmin does not come from the obvious relation to "Pick Men". Rather, the name came from Miyamoto's dog, Pikku.

Another shaky fact is that the Metroid series is loosely inspired by the Alien movies. Evidenced by the female heroin and the series regular boss Ridley, aka Ridley Scott.

Haunted

SolidusDave said:
That reminds me (so, sry if old):
John DiMaggio (the voice of Bender in Futurama) has quite a lot of videogame-roles, too.
As a voiceactor that's obviously not surprising, but I still chuckle when I read his name in the credits or notice his voice (and think of Bender).
CoD4, Riddick etc. is in there, but here are some of his main roles:

- Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2 (Wakka, Kimahri)
- Final Fantasy XII (Migelo, Gilgamesh)
- Gears of War 1/2 (Marcus Fenix)
- Valkyria Chronicles (Jann, General Georg von Damon)
I recently heard him as Jack in Madworld and Super Joe in Bionic Commando. He does tons of games - doesn't help that he has such a recognisable voice. :p

ZAK

Haunted said:
I recently heard him as Jack in Madworld and Super Joe in Bionic Commando. He does tons of games - doesn't help that he has such a recognisable voice. :p
No, he was Kreese Kreeley in Madworld.

Jaroof

Broodax said:
If this blows your mind then also know SSX = Snowboard Supercross.

:O
What?
Wh---
Wow. Mind blown for the FIRST TIME in this thread.
Come on people, you need to come up with more stuff like this. ;)

kai3345 said:
Yeah the Forest Haven one I knew, but I never though about Kakariko Village....

I thought the game baisically told you that it was the same universe as OOT, just thousands of years later......

And yeah, pretty much the same here.
I thought the Deku Tree was kind of a giveaway..

kai3345

Banned
Oli said:
Another [probably commonly known] VG fact:

In The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker, some of the islands represented locations from The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

The Forest Haven island, for instance, is connected to Kokiri Forest. Signified by the presence of the Deku Tree, and the music which is very similar: Forest Haven Theme, Kokiri Forest Theme.

Additionally, Windfall Island is connected to Kakariko village. The comparisons are a bit more rough on this one, but the music has its similar points if you listen to both closely: Windfall Island Theme, Kakariko Village Theme.

There are other obvious connections to Ocarina of Time, but I won't go into those as I assume just about everyone knows about them.

Yeah the Forest Haven one I knew, but I never though about Kakariko Village....

I thought the game baisically told you that it was the same universe as OOT, just thousands of years later......

Oli said:
Another shaky fact is that the Metroid series is loosely inspired by the Alien movies. Evidenced by the female heroin and the series regular boss Ridley, aka Ridley Scott.

That's not a "shaky" fact, it was confirmed by Gumpei Yokoi (Metroid's creator).

sn00zer

Woah after a half a year of waiting to get approved I can finally post this
Both the Soul Calibur series and Tekken series are in the same universe, although tekken takes place hundreds of years in the future, besides the obvious (Yoshimitsu) there is an awesome easter egg in Tekken 5

Tekken 5:
pirate_cove_2.jpg
pirate_cove_3.jpg

Soul Calibur 2:
ps2_soul_calibur_185_med.jpg
ps2_soul_calibur_139_med.jpg

the "Pirate's Cove" stage is the same stage found in Soul Calibur 2, but after a hundred or so years of plundering

ReyVGM

Milon's Secret Castle has another ending :O

This is kind of old (in Internet age), but a few weeks ago AdamL from GameFAQs let me know of a "cheat" posted for Milon's Secret Castle saying that if you beat the game 4 times in a row (it's actually only 2 times in a row) you get an extra ending.

I went ahead and tried it out and indeed, you do get something different for your second quest ending:

milonsecret-5.png

Totally not worth it, but I guess finding out about an extra ending for a 20 year old game we thought we knew everything about was kind of the exciting part!

In that note I decided to give the GameBoy version another shot, just in case, and I found that it also has longer ending if you manage to find all the items.

This time the characters get married:

miloncastle-12.png

MNC

Since I busted out Rhythm Tengoku Gold out again, the game is littered with cameos from its Japanese Only GBA brother, Rhythm Tengoku.

In the photofinish minigame for example, you see loads of cameos.
  • The mice
  • The ghosts
  • The rappers
  • The 4 galaxy dancers
  • 2 ninja's

In it's turn, alot of the people got new minigames (some obvious, some less obvious) like Karateka, and the samurai returns in an Endless Minigame. I guess these don't blow minds, although the ones in the photofinish ones are less obvious. The rappers also return in some card when you complete the game, dressed in formal suit.

shaowebb

Here is another BIG one folks.

It is in honor of Pulseman being launched on Virtual Console.

Game Freak worked on Pulseman with SEGA.
Game Freak worked on and practically created POKEMON.
The main villain's gang in Pulseman is called the Galaxy Gang.
The villains in Pokemon Diamond,Pearl,and Platinum are called "Ginga-dan" which directly translates to "Galaxy Gang".
Pulseman's head and the electric ghost Pokemon "Rotom" look VERY similar.
220px-Pulseman_box_art.jpg
legg9.jpg

Pulseman's signature attacker "voltteccer" and Pikachu's "volt tackle" in Brawl(which was originally called "voltteccer" in the japanese version) look alike.

Volt Tackle
Pikachu.jpg

Voltteccer
large.jpg

The same composer that worked on Pulseman worked on Pokemon as evident in Pearl's Rival battle theme being very similar to the Neo-Tokyo theme in Pulseman.

Pokemon Pearl Rival Battle theme 0:37
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecL2DZjfujM

Neo Tokyo about 0:34 sec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuB4sjzuK-4&feature=PlayList&p=2BE1246E394D44C0&index=0&playnext=1

CONCLUSION
Pokemon has been hiding references to Pulseman in its titles for YEARS.

Top Bottom