• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

butzopower said:
More of an origin story than a fact, but Mike Booth, lead designer of Left 4 Dead just finished a talk at my university and revealed that the basic idea of Left 4 Dead came from testing the Counter Strike bots they were creating and facing off against 30 or so of them only allowing the bots to use knives. Thought that was really interesting, though maybe not mind blowing.
I remember in the early days of CSS someone made a mod to do just that, it grew and slowly became the zombie mod which was popular for ages, get knifed and turn into a zombie which has a speed and hp bonus, but only a knife.

I played a ton of Zmod and loved it but left4dead just never pulled me in the same.

1up

butzopower said:
More of an origin story than a fact, but Mike Booth, lead designer of Left 4 Dead just finished a talk at my university and revealed that the basic idea of Left 4 Dead came from testing the Counter Strike bots they were creating and facing off against 30 or so of them only allowing the bots to use knives. Thought that was really interesting, though maybe not mind blowing.

That's in the developer commentary for Left 4 Dead 1.

notsol337

marked forever
butzopower said:

I used to do that!

TUSR

Banned
rpmurphy said:
What, people didn't know this? Do you guys also not know that more than one yeti can be chasing you at the same time?
Wait, what?

I always though the levels just looped around on its self, but two can be after you at a time. And pressing F makes you go faster too... My childhood....

Stabby89

Neo Member
"Olimar" is an acronym for "L. Mario" or Luigi Mario, his full name. Either that or the makers tried to make an anagram for Mario and added an L because it didn't work out.

Also, this:

30lgbp3.jpg

Lakupo

Actually, "Olimar" isn't quite an anagram, but actually "Mario" in reverse. Since Japanese is syllabic, MA-RI-O in reverse is O-RI-MA. This got localized to Olimar.

MNC

Stabby89 said:
"Olimar" is an acronym for "L. Mario" or Luigi Mario, his full name. Either that or the makers tried to make an anagram for Mario and added an L because it didn't work out.

Also, this:

30lgbp3.jpg
Close but no cigar, that's his tail :lol

lordy88

Lakupo said:
Actually, "Olimar" isn't quite an anagram, but actually "Mario" in reverse. Since Japanese is syllabic, MA-RI-O in reverse is O-RI-MA. This got localized to Olimar.

If this is true....

MIND BLOWN.

Question:
I'm listening to the music from the Clock Tower in Zelda: Majora's Mask.

The main part of the song reminds me of something from Metroid, but I'm not that familiar with that series' music, so I wonder if any one else has made the connection.

DryvBy

In the original Gamecube manual (for the system), at least in America, they had a picture of the save game feature and how that worked, along with a save state for "Super Mario 64".

Was Nintendo planning N64 remakes all along?

[Nintex]

DryvBy2 said:
In the original Gamecube manual (for the system), at least in America, they had a picture of the save game feature and how that worked, along with a save state for "Super Mario 64".

Was Nintendo planning N64 remakes all along?
The early GameCube/Dolphin devkits had an upgraded version of Peach's Castle as a tech demo. Might've been related to that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WxpmydJouc

Why they developed Super Mario Sunshine instead of a great looking Mario 64 sequel is anyones guess.

Kulock said:
One of the Japanese Brawl trailers even makes a clear play on this, jumbling the characters as Olimar knocks Mario out of the way.

[ig]http://www.mooglecavern.com/brawlcentral/SuperSmashBrosBrawl-CM86-Mario.jpg[/img][ig]http://www.mooglecavern.com/brawlcentral/SuperSmashBrosBrawl-CM86-Olima.jpg[/img]
[ig]http://www.mooglecavern.com/brawlcentral/SuperSmashBrosBrawl-CM86-PikuminAndOlimaa.jpg[/img]

Haha, wow! That's amazing!

Stabby89 said:
The gas Pokemon Koffing is just the word "coughing".
Come to think of it since Delibird is meant to be a play on the words delivery and bird shouldn't it be pronounced in the same way as delivered rather than "Deli bird" which I usually hear.

Stabby89

Neo Member
Jaded Alyx said:
Facts that blow your mind, not facts that are blatantly obvious :p

This will blow your mind: the evolution of Koffing was probably meant to be Sneezing, but it doesn't sound right so they changed it to Weezing.

Starwolf_UK said:
Come to think of it since Delibird is meant to be a play on the words delivery and bird shouldn't it be pronounced in the same way as delivered rather than "Deli bird" which I usually hear.

I remember this from learning Japanese for a while: Japanese doesn't have the v-sound, but it's replaced by and pronounced as b when writing an English word. So it could very well be "delivered".

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Not a videogame fact, but "Clint Eastwood" is an anagram for "Old West Action".

Seda said:
In Pokemon Blue, before you challenge Gary at the Pokemon Tower in Lavender town, he asks if you've ever known what its like to have a Pokemon die.

At this point in the game, he no longer has his Raticate.

132082_Pokemon__The_Lost_Ending_s.jpg

mclem

bernardobri said:
Not a videogame fact, but "Clint Eastwood" is an anagram for "Old West Action".

Not as cool as Virginia Bottomley (UK Tory MP) being an anagram of "I'm an evil Tory bigot"

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
You guys know the 150th Pokemon known as Mewtwo? Well guess what, it's a clone of Mew!

Here's the mindblowing part, Mewtwo= Mew-Two, get it?
Mew and Two!

Real talk though, Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan are Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan

ReyVGM

Yes yes we get it. Pokemon had a lot of clever name-play.

Hitmon Lee and Hitmon Chan = Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This thread keeps circling the drain.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
This thread sucks, but since I think this went overlooked in another thread, I'll just quote what I wrote here:

Surgeon Rocket said:
This isn't really a glitch since it was intentional, but the method to getting it was really weird.

This is for the Sega Genesis game, Rings of Power, by Naughty Dog, you know, the Uncharted people.

The "Glitch" in question was uncensored tits on the Naughty Dog logo screen.

ofvpso.gif

Back then, I read somewhere that if you hit/smack your Genesis as you're turning the thing on, you get the alternate titty start-up logo.

Here's the pic. Maybe NSFW (lol) http://i36.tinypic.com/245enhj.gif

Maybe if you smack the PS3, you get to see titties in Uncharted 2. Maybe.

Try it out sometime.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Keyser Soze said:
Probably already done, but each princess in the Mario games represents a power-up.

What?

Top Bottom