• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VideoGamer.com Video Preview of Sunset Overdrive

That's not the worst of it.

Rumour has it that MS are in salvage mode with this project. Focus testing, now backed up by early reviews is painting a very negative picture of the game. Claims of repetitive, dull, lacking in polish, lacking in appeal, inconsistent, lacks direction are often heard in hushed tones when Sunset Overdrive is mentioned.

MS have distanced themselves completely from Insomniac, their only interest now is to try and recoup the money they invested into development as well as money for their contractual obligation to market the game.

It's not all one sided, Insomniac are apparently very distraught of having backed the wrong horse with the Xbox One. They were hoping for a five million seller, but with the Xbox One install base in dire straits and the market's complete rejection of the Xbox brand, well, you get the picture.

That's why Insomniac allowed Sony to use the font for their recent sale. It was a reconciliatory measure to get back in Sony's good graces, so they'd allow them to make more games after the Ratchet and Clank reboot.

It's pretty much a disaster from any perspective. Insomniac weeping, MS ruing, critical backlash, market on course to reject the IP.

It's perhaps the biggest disaster we'll see in gaming, rivalling that of ET. There will be documentaries about this game for years to come...

I feel like one has to be trying really hard to come up with these types of doom and gloom posts.

joking/trolling or not lol

Rumour has it that MS are in salvage mode with this project. Focus testing, now backed up by early reviews is painting a very negative picture of the game. Claims of repetitive, dull, lacking in polish, lacking in appeal, inconsistent, lacks direction are often heard in hushed tones when Sunset Overdrive is mentioned.

MS have distanced themselves completely from Insomniac, their only interest now is to try and recoup the money they invested into development as well as money for their contractual obligation to market the game.

It's not all one sided, Insomniac are apparently very distraught of having backed the wrong horse with the Xbox One. They were hoping for a five million seller, but with the Xbox One install base in dire straits and the market's complete rejection of the Xbox brand, well, you get the picture.

That's why Insomniac allowed Sony to use the font for their recent sale. It was a reconciliatory measure to get back in Sony's good graces, so they'd allow them to make more games after the Ratchet and Clank reboot.

It's pretty much a disaster from any perspective. Insomniac weeping, MS ruing, critical backlash, market on course to reject the IP.

It's perhaps the biggest disaster we'll see in gaming, rivalling that of ET. There will be documentaries about this game for years to come...

LOL. Needs "A Slap In The Face" somewhere in there.

Whatever I think its a good thing SSO is divisive, at least from a visual/fashion standpoint. There were plenty of people that thought JSR looked dumb back in 2000 as well. Glad they went forward with something that not everyone will be into, fuck the homogenious design that's been all over everything

LOL can't even spell "rumor" correctly

There goes all your credibility

Pfft, only overweight heathens who clap after each post spell it the other way.

It's been 7 days since Phil Spencer has tweeted anything about the game. He was playing it for a while and now all he does it watch TV, so I think he's bored with the game as well. This sucks as I had high hopes for the game.

See? What more proof do people need? Even the hollow hype man isn't hyping this as a big autumn exclusive.

Doesn't anyone find it strange?

Noobcraft

Satire? What?

Have you even following the game?

Follow the signs. It's there for all to see. The writing, as they say, is on the wall.

It won't break until after release (everyone wants to try and save face), but it will surely be epic when it eventually does.
Oh my gosh you're actually serious?

kick51

Banned
It's been 7 days since Phil Spencer has tweeted anything about the game. He was playing it for a while and now all he does it watch TV, so I think he's bored with the game as well. This sucks as I had high hopes for the game.

Oh man, and that guy totally loves Shenmue, Phantom Dust, N.U.D.E, Metal Wolf Chaos, Otogi, and any other obscure original Xbox original you can think of and ask him about. His efforts this past year have skyrocketed him to the top of the It List for the hardcore gamer demographic. This doesn't bode well for Sunset Overdrive.

It is spelt correctly, it is the english (UK) spelling of the word!

LOL what are you trying to bake hippie bread or something

cakely

So pretty.

edit:still baffled how this looks "bland" and "glacial" to people.

Must be my old eyes-

None of those gifs refute in any way the points brought up in the preview that's being discussed here.

Also, for some reason they're all missing the UI. Must be a bug.

Respawn

Banned
Woah, dude says the game almost made him want to sleep.

They call it tremendously dull. Before Sony fanboys get all giddy, dude says Infamous is even duller.
I'm a PS4 owner and I enjoy the infamous expansion First Light more than the actual game so I think I understand where he's coming from.

Izuna

Banned
LOL can't even spell "rumor" correctly

There goes all your credibility

It is you who can't spell mate.

I saw this video yesterday but I waited to give my impression... I think the game looks dull, but these guys are awful at articulating why. They didn't ever mention what mechanics were for or how the game even works.

I am desperate to preview this game myself but that will be after release I guess. Instead we got two guys trying their best to be as funny as the Ricky Gervais Show by trying their best to be "hipsters 3" themselves.

abadguy

Banned

Brilliant!

At least Microsoft isn't trying to hide anything with this game, unlike the Shadows of Mordor previews not allowing anything negative to be said.

You know, I think if people loved the last few Saints Row games, I see this being a hit with that crowd. If you didn't then, probably not. I think Saints Row does really well so I have faith in Sunset being just as over the top, fun, and funny!

I was watching Boogie stream this game. It looked so bad and boring =\ I hope it just gets better later in game

I watched his stream too and it looked boring, but I think that's just because he sucked at the game tbh. This one youtube walkthrough I watched made it look super fun.

Oh man, and that guy totally loves Shenmue, Phantom Dust, N.U.D.E, Metal Wolf Chaos, Otogi, and any other obscure original Xbox original you can think of and ask him about. His efforts this past year have skyrocketed him to the top of the It List for the hardcore gamer demographic. This doesn't bode well for Sunset Overdrive.

LOL what are you trying to bake hippie bread or something

I think this game was especially made for you!

Spelt is a simple past tense and past participle of spell

Ah, okay. Yeah, I'd agree they aren't consistent when it comes to soundtracks.

ITN wasn't great...

Incredible post.

Stimpack

This game literally always looked horrible. Sad to hear that the gameplay is as bad as the humor, but at least it'll be out in the wild soon enough.

*edit* Ratchet & Clank is incredible, though.

JaggedSac

ITN wasn't great...

This is great.

neurophd

This game literally always looked horrible. Sad to hear that the gameplay is as bad as the humor, but at least it'll be out in the wild soon enough.

*edit* Ratchet & Clank is incredible, though.
Such a weird post...if it always looked horrible to you, why would you be sad?

ukpanik

Banned
Seems like the humour in this game really rubbed these guys the wrong way.

It's the characters I hate. It's like they are designed by suits based on their imagine of youth.
I can imagine them in a meeting saying. "Got to be extreeeme to the max, wack, zany and hip to the hop.
Then drew a doodle.

Poochy_%28Simpsons_Official_Site%29.PNG

ITN wasn't great...

Halfway through reading this..

tumblr_mgkp88PQH11qcxbquo1_500.gif

I thought you were being serious the whole time. One hell of a spin sir.

ITN wasn't great...

How did they let Sony use their font when anyone can use their font? They had a link showing they made it and allow anyone to use it. Seems to me it's that anyone can use it.. .not that they let Sony use it to get in good graces. In fact the sites I visit and frequent, this is the first I've ever heard the game is having problems and MS wants to get away from the game. Sounds kind of FUDish a bit.

edit.. I don't know who's real anymore.. .that's how crazy stupid this gen has been with fans.... lol... good stuff.

Stimpack

Such a weird post...if it always looked horrible to you, why would you be sad?

I thought it looked horrible, but I had hope that the gameplay itself would perhaps open up in some interesting ways. The fact that it doesn't isn't coming as a surprise to me, but I feel sad for those who expected more and will end up disappointed. I don't think anyone actually wants a game to be bad.

*edit* Also I genuinely like Insomniac Games and it's sad to see them put out a game that doesn't live up to their potential. But also I'm speaking as if this is all to be taken a face value, when that's not the case. It's not out, yet, and it could be amazing. It's just that what they've described is exactly what I was expecting based on everything I've seen up to this point. It's not fair of me to act as if I know better, though, because I can't say that I do.

Rembrandt

Banned
I thought it looked horrible, but I had hope that the gameplay itself would perhaps open up in some interesting ways. The fact that it doesn't isn't coming as a surprise to me, but I feel sad for those who expected more and will end up disappointed. I don't think anyone actually wants a game to be bad.

Not really a fact when almost all other previews have been positive.

kick51

Banned
It's the characters I hate. It's like they are designed by suits based on their imagine of youth.
I can imagine them in a meeting saying. "Got to be extreeeme to the max, wack, zany and hip to the hop.
Then drew a doodle.

I agree. nerds designing counter-culture types after googling "counter-culture type"

How did they let Sony use their font when anyone can use their font? They had a link showing they made it and allow anyone to use it. Seems to me it's that anyone can use it.. .not that they let Sony use it to get in good graces. In fact the sites I visit and frequent, this is the first I've ever heard the game is having problems and MS wants to get away from the game. Sounds kind of FUDish a bit.

Up there, in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's....the joke!

Syrus

Banned

I think you just got trolled

Jito

Banned
Shit he compares it to Alex Zane funny? That doesn't sound too great. I can see the infamous comparisons but I'm hoping it's more like Crackdown than infamous.

Auto aim sounds pretty horrific.

Bgamer90

Banned
Then drew a doodle.

Yeah, I'm sure suits look back to the late 90s/early 2000s Dreamcast era for tips on what the hip youth are doing today.

I think you just got trolled

I did! I put in an edit at the bottom.

Again.. this gen has been so full of people crying about the smallest stuff, I have no idea anymore who's real and who's not with their post. Lol.. just goes to show you how nuts the fanboys have been with their real post.. .not Miles.. but the real deal post. That's why for me at least it's so easy to be tricked by that type of post.

Ha ha... good stuff then Miles. I was about to take away your level 8 Xbot Command certificate.

Etnos

Banned
ITN wasn't great...

LMAO! man you are consistently a satire genius.

Top Bottom