• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VideoGamer.com Video Preview of Sunset Overdrive

Everything I've seen and read about up to this point has been overwhelmingly positive. Reviews are sure going to be interesting for this one as I think it's a love it or hate it type gameplay.

Sounds like these guys just don't like open world games either (which I can't really blame them)

ironcreed

Banned
The wall running , bouncing and grinding are the main reason I've canned my pre order and am waiting for GAF impressions and reviews.

The weapons look as we'd expect from Insomniac and the art style is cool, but the movement looks slow and awkward and I worry that it will become a real annoyance for me.

I cant remember the last time I wanted a demo for a games as much as I do SO.

Really? I think it looks about right, when keeping in mind that you need to aim and all that jazz. It should make it a bit easier to control and pull off some really cool moments.

Duxxy3

Their biggest criticism seems to be that while getting around is fun and the weapons are fun to use, there's nothing interesting to use the mechanics for.

Fetch quests, boring enemies, etc.

That's what I was afraid of. The majority of the footage they have shown off is just traversal and killing things off with cool weapons. Which looks great, but you still need to create a game around those cool things.

The one mission that I've seen is the train mission, and that just last too long, and you're just doing the same thing over and over. Shoot the marked targets on the train, change rails, shoot the marked targets on the train.

I would rather have a more linear game with new levels and interesting missions, than a wide open game with one big world and tedious missions. They built all of these cool elements that they wanted to do for years, and forgot about the game part of it.

Is it me or did anyone else want to grab the controller out of this guys hand in the video and show him how to play it?? And hell, I don't even know how to play it! Most of this game play is the exact opposite how I've seen people play on other videos and streams. It's like they were trying to find ways to say it was "dull".

Thank you, video gamer, for confirming that i'm not the outlier, but that this game IS is boring as it looks.

Wouldn't it make sense to wait for more outlets to back up this opinion rather than relying on Viodegamer, who have been rather...out there in terms of reviews of late.

GTA actually is a lot of fetch quests, only are they made awesome by incredible characters and a fun story.

GTA5 did try and sprinkle in something fresh with the missions though. Loved that game.

Yeah they were mixed. You had to fetch the cars and drugs at times for some of the characters but id say it was fun when you had to find away to elude the people chasing you.

Bgamer90

Banned
Thank you, video gamer, for confirming that i'm not the outlier, but that this game IS is boring as it looks.

There is another video from the same site saying that it's a blast (but it's from a different person).

This post comes across as admitting to confirmation bias.

le.phat

Wouldn't it make sense to wait for more outlets to back up this opinion rather than relying on Viodegamer, who have been rather...out there in terms of reviews of late.

Everything i've seen so far feels so dull, and this video puts the right words to my sentiment. I'm not looking for reviewers agreeing with me, but i am really grateful for this video to accurately describe why everything comes off as dull.

bryanee

Anyo who might of played it, does it get any faster? Every video I've seen it looks slow as fuck. Can you upgrade your speed especially for grinding?

TheF1BOB

Banned

Everything i've seen so far feels so dull, and this video puts the right words to my sentiment. I'm not looking for reviewers agreeing with me, but i am really grateful for this video to accurately describe why everything comes off as dull.

yeah it's great that a game is shit.

thanks insomniac.

Nozem

Goddamn.

In the total 12 minutes of constant bitching they only had THREE positive things to say:

1. Respawning is well done.
2. Art direction is good.
3. It's not as bad as Assassins Creed 3.

The rest all negative.

dugdug

Banned
I love how critics can't be honest these days without someone calling them jaded. How dare they not validate our previous opinions that were only based on short previews we watched on youtube!?

How many people in this thread have even played the game? Is it really that far-fetched that some people just won't like it?

Anyo who might of played it, does it get any faster? Every video I've seen it looks slow as fuck. Can you upgrade your speed especially for grinding?
From the outside looking in it has always seemed a bit slowed down from what it should be.

Maybe it feels different when you're actually playing it. But yeah, just a tad too slow.

So the other previews (including one from Video Gamer) that claim it's good, fun and anything but dull are....?

Biased? Irrelevant? You simply don't care about those, as you're happy to have one previewer agree with your opinion and fuck the rest?

Goddamn.

In the total 12 minutes of constant bitching they only had THREE positive things to say:

1. Respawning is well done.
2. Art direction is good.
3. It's not as bad as Assassins Creed 3.

The rest all negative.

Well they also said in a negative tone that there's no penalty for dying, so strike #1 from your list. Personally, I don't mind there being no penalty for dying. With the limited amount of time that I have to play games, I don't want a game that heavily penalizes you for dying.

RulkezX

Really? I think it looks about right, when keeping in mind that you need to aim and all that jazz. It should make it a bit easier to control and pull off some really cool moments.

You can see the amount of auto aim in the videos ( It looks like once the red circle is over the enemy that he can be shot) the cross hair can stray quite a bit from the enemy and still hit him with the auto aiming.

I'm not taking what they said as gospel, but the point about it being grinding in a circle round the enemies while pressing fire seems to ring true.

Like I said, I'll wait for GAF and reviews to decide if it's a purchase , I still think a demo could do wonders for this game.

Jaxx

Banned
Gamefeed reviewed it, (never heard of them, video seems amateurish), but he quite enjoyed it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu5j5Xmpw1Q

That's not a real review. And all his footage is stolen from someone else who loved the game while streaming it recently.

So you used the outlier preview to prove that your opinion of a game that you've never played isn't an outlier? Such brilliance.

sangreal

I'm not taking what they said as gospel, but the point about it being grinding in a circle round the enemies while pressing fire seems to ring true.

I can't watch this right now as I'm at work, but this sentence largely sums up most of the videos I've watched

I still think the game looks fun though, and I plan to get it

I mean, I really liked Ryse and it can't be more repetitive than that

"It's the least dull looking game. It has no right to be dull." Yup, that art direction deserves props.

On the game commenting on itself:

"Look at me. Aren't I shit?" lol

Haha, hilarious preview. I'm not surprised. From what I played, combat and traversal didn't hook me, and from the first few hours that have been streamed, the humour and characters have been really cringe. "Awesomepocalypse" uhh.

Auctopus

"It goes for zaniness-"

"YEah, and it's like fucking Alex Zane"

Hahaha

Edit: That comment about trope commentary and therefore falling in to them was my immediate problem with Blood Dragon. Just 'cause you make fun of tropes doesn't mean you're exempt from falling in to them.

That's not a real review. And all his footage is stolen from someone else who loved the game while streaming it recently.

So you used the outlier preview to prove that your opinion of a game that you've never played isn't an outlier? Such brilliance.

552.gif

LoveCake

Interesting.

I have the Sunset Overdrive White Xbone on order (i'm getting it very cheap) i was never really that keen on the game from what i had seen, i played InFAMOUS SS & the first few hours it was pretty good, but it became a bit boring, WatchDogs is the same as well i have found, the game does look nice & colourful but also pretty empty & sparse like InFAMOUS SS & WatchDogs i suppose, i have W101 & that is nice & colourful but there is loads going on, on screen.

As i will be getting Sunset Overdrive for free i will give it a real go, but i can see myself giving up after three or four hours.

Bit disappointed, like the guys in that pre/review video.

:/

Hoo-doo

Banned
Interesting.

I have the Sunset Overdrive White Xbone on order (i'm getting it very cheap) i was never really that keen on the game from what i had seen, i played InFAMOUS SS & the first few hours it was pretty good, but it became a bit boring, WatchDogs is the same as well i have found, the game does look nice & colourful but also pretty empty & sparse like InFAMOUS SS & WatchDogs i suppose, i have W101 & that is nice & colourful but there is loads going on, on screen.

As i will be getting Sunset Overdrive for free i will give it a real go, but i can see myself giving up after three or four hours.

Bit disappointed, like the guys in that pre/review video.

:/

Is the SO bundle the only way to get the white XBO?

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I'm not at all convinced this game is going to be amazing, but these guys seem really, dramatically negative. They even sound depressed talking.

The critique about this gaming having "monsters like Crackdown 2" struck me as particularly dumb. So if Crackdown 2 had human enemies everything would be better? Also the part about the grinding being too easy. Do they really think the game would benefit from challenging grinding? I suspect these guys will have one of the lower reviews for the game.

Auto aim doesn't literally mean you don't have to aim.

I'm with you. One guy sounds really overly angry about the game lol. I mean it's opinion but the game looks good to me. Fingers crossed

Jaxx

Banned
For now, but I doubt it will stay that way.

In the US it currently is. A white bundle with Halo has already been announced for somewhere else. I forget which territory, but I doubt it won't be made available in the US this year after Sunset comes out.

worst fear confirmed for this game: it looks so fucking slow. i was expecting jet set radio future levels of fastness.

When's the last time you played JSR? This game is faster.

OsirisBlack

Banned
At first I wanted this game badly then the more I saw of it I just kind of felt meh about it. I liked Infamous Second Son so him saying the game is similar is a positive in my book. I will wait on GAF opinions on this one but I am curious to see where it lands. I think the biggest thing putting me off is that it looks really slow... or is that just me?

LoveCake

Is the SO bundle the only way to get the white XBO?

Not sure, for the moment i think, i am getting it becase i want FH2, but the only reason i am getting a XBO is because i am one of the people getting the GAME UK free shares which are around £150 so i am getting a XBO for half price, but i have other credits & money from games i have traded in & the console isn't going to cost me a penny, i have a PS4 & WiiU already & a games PC.

Back on topic, i just dunno, i love the GTA games, i think the dev's have maybe tried to do too much or that the idea they had was better than the actual game that has been made, has the game been rushed maybe by MS perhaps?

GlamFM

Banned
I love how critics can't be honest these days without someone calling them jaded. How dare they not validate our previous opinions that were only based on short previews we watched on youtube!?

How many people in this thread have even played the game? Is it really that far-fetched that some people just won't like it?

Yup, this is how it goes. Next up: they just want the clicks.

Top Bottom