• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vigil Art Director in 2012: Wii U is pretty powerful.

Triple U

Banned
Why would the art director be talking about things to do with the tablet. Think in context of whose being asked the question. The ART DIRECTOR is saying they can do more with the system. It doesn't take a giant leap to realize he's talking about doing more with the ART, since he's the ART director.

Because you can render graphics on the tablet? Thats really not as bad a idea as you are making it out to be. Their are numerous reasons an ART DIRECTOR would take about what he could do on a tablet.

filler

Banned
Because you can render graphics on the tablet? Thats really not as bad a idea as you are making it out to be. Their are numerous reasons an ART DIRECTOR would take about what he could do on a tablet.

That would fall in to the realms of game play design and controls. Why would an art director have anything to do with either of those?

smug

Banned
So powerful he ran out of duct-tape! lolz j/k

In reality though... I'm pretty certain he might be referencing the amount of memory they can work with and the overall architecture is probably more powerful than most think. The bottom line is, any hardware is only as good as the software developer who can wrap their head around the technology and get more out of it than what is thought based on specs alone..

daebo

The worst part about all this speculation is... all these threads drive me crazy and keep me out of them. Only the last couple days have I read them... but I miss so much 'real' info that it pisses me off.

this whole line in the sand mentality and defending your side drives me nuts. Wish there was a way to read the gaf nintendo wii u threads with the real leaks/info/rumors w/o people who troll/defend/argue over speculative shit. It especially gets annoying when you have defenders who are purposely trolling now *looks at the Wii U |OT 3| thread*.

I guess I'll be heading back out of those threads until E3 when we have a bit more info than all the speculative crap.

The way the line reads really sounds like he's talking specifically about graphic capabilities. Which I guess could include the Tablet.

This is really why these comments don't mean much, because they really don't say much.

Triple U

Banned
That would fall in to the realms of game play design and controls. Why would an art director have anything to do with either of those?

You can render graphics on the tablet. Graphics. Sure whatever gameplay mechanics come into play would have to be coordinated with the proper people but when you have to budget GPU resources the ART DIRECTOR is certainly gonna call the shots.

filler

Banned
You can render graphics on the tablet. Graphics. Sure whatever gameplay mechanics come into play would have to be coordinated with the proper people but when you have to budget GPU resources the ART DIRECTOR is certainly gonna call the shots.

You're really reaching with this, breh.

theBishop

Banned
I think you'll set yourself for disappointment when you find out 720/PS4's specs.

Outside these ridiculous rumors of a low-powered stopgap Xbox, do you really think the next Sony/MS consoles, won't be properly next-generation consoles? The hardware already exists on PC. Even if next-gen hardware holds back from absolute bleeding-edge, it will still be a huge upgrade over the current systems.

Meanwhile, we have a taste of what early next-gen games will look like with Samaritan and the Frostbyte Engine. This stuff is already in development.

gaf.gif

Pocks

Guys who want to explore the power (Technical Director, Art Director): It's a beast.

Guy who has to worry about shipping a game on time (Game Director): Weaksauce. Not worth making new assets. Move along.

Indeed. Here are the exact quotes:

Colin Bonstead said:
When we asked Bonstead if he thought it was possible that the Wii U version of Darksiders II would be the best version of the game, he said, "Yeah, just because the hardware is more powerful and it will have some extra features that I think will actually be useful to people playing the game. With it’s controller, [the Wii U version of Darksiders II] might be the best version of the game."

Han Randhawa said:
There is not much I can really talk about right now, but I think that the Wii U is a pretty powerful machine, which obviously means more resources, and means you can do a lot more. So the Wii U team is doing very well, we've been working with Nintendo and I think it's going to be a very exciting version of Darksiders but we want to keep the overall theme relatively consistent."

Marvin Donald said:
So far the hardware’s been on par with what we have with the current generations. Based on what I understand, the resolution and textures and polycounts and all that stuff, we’re not going to being doing anything to up-rez the game, but we’ll take advantage of the controller for sure.

I think it's important to keep each of their roles in perspective. Donald is mostly resposible for the story, quests, and cutscenes — not so much the technical side of things.

THQSledgehammer: How does an average day at Vigil Games look as the Director of Darksiders II?

Marvin: Most of my focus is on story. Watching over the process from writing to its many end results including cut-scenes, quests, and all of the key in-game moments.

Source: http://community.darksiders.com/go/.../Meet_the_Team:_Marvin_Donald_-_Game_Director

No there are not. You are reaching SUPER SUPER hard with this. To make the leap that he's talking about the tablet takes some MAJOR cognitive leaps, that aren't hinted at, AT ALL in the interview. He's directly comparing two things. There is no tablet on the current generation, so why would he say we can do more with these higher resources on this version, than we could on the other versions. The tablet is not a resource, ram, GPU power, CPU power, etc these are the kinds of things that fall under resources. I mean come on people, it's not a hard comment to read.

If he was talking about the tablet he would have said, with the tablet we can do blah blah blah. He's obviously not talking about that though. Plus no the art director would NOT be talking about the tablet this way. That's for the game designer to, the game designer is going to be the one deal with, the new controls, and experiences that the tablet would bring to the game. Not the art director.

JavyOO7

I think in the end WiiU will be a bit ahead of PS3 and X360. Sure I'd like this next Nintendo console to be league's ahead but I guess it doesn't take much to please me these days. =p

theBishop

Banned

You can't render graphics on the tablet. The console streams pre-rendered video to the tablet. It's comparable to PSP's Remote Play feature, but likely using one of the new video streaming standards for better quality and lower latency. This would also explain the same-room limitation.

Shion

Vigil dude 1: "WiiU is better than PS360"

Vigil dude 2: "WiiU is on par with PS360"

Vigil dude 3: "WiiU is pretty powerful"

Maybe they should have a meeting or something.

Some people need to understand that quotes like these, do not necessarily contradict each other.

HylianTom

Banned
I think you'll set yourself for disappointment when you find out 720/PS4's specs.

720: Three 360s with enhanced Kinectimals ability added-on to a pad. (and an E3 conference that focuses on MS' long-term non-gaming goals.)

PS3: Sony can't afford losses. Two PS3s with duct tape and MoveToo.

Oh, the fun we'll have!

I think in the end WiiU will be a bit ahead of PS3 and X360. Sure I'd like this next Nintendo console to be league's ahead but I guess it doesn't take much to please me these days. =p

This is why I'm really curious to see what E3 brings. I want to see the games. I try not to get too bogged down in specs since there are so many variables that can effect the final product.

On paper, the PS2 was leaps and bounds beyond the Dreamcast. With the games actually playing on my TV the difference was very minor, at least for a couple years until PS2 hit it's stride - in fact a couple of early multiplatform games looked a bit better on Dreamcast.

I'll be interested to see just how ahead PS4/720 seem to be in a real world scenario, not on paper.

Outside these ridiculous rumors of a low-powered stopgap Xbox, do you really think the next Sony/MS consoles, won't be properly next-generation consoles? The hardware already exists on PC. Even if next-gen hardware holds back from absolute bleeding-edge, it will still be a huge upgrade over the current systems.

I have no doubt that they'll be powerful, but I'm wondering if they'll take a large a leap as last time around. I imagine that Sony in particular wants to be more careful with price this time around (although, who knows) so it will be interesting to see how big a step they can take at what price.

Triple U

Banned
No there are not. You are reaching SUPER SUPER hard with this. To make the leap that he's talking about the tablet takes some MAJOR cognitive leaps, that aren't hinted at, AT ALL in the interview.

Im reaching, yet you are calling for cognitive leaps to understand why the art director would be talking about the tablet. LOL.

He's directly comparing two things. There is no tablet on the current generation, so why would he say we can do more with these higher resources on this version, than we could on the other versions. The tablet is not a resource, ram, GPU power, CPU power, etc these are the kinds of things that fall under resources. I mean come on people, it's not a hard comment to read.

He's not directly comparing anything. That's the whole problem with this quote. The tablet is indeed a resource IDK what you are going on about but a second screen is definitely a resource that a game developer can target and utilize.

Also the fact that there are additional resources is the main factor in why you can do more with a tablet than you could with one on a PS3/360. Whatever you render on that screen isn't gonna be free, it will still have to utilize a FB, it will still utilize ALU resources, etc etc. Maybe you should re-read the not so hard comment.

If he was talking about the tablet he would have said, with the tablet we can do blah blah blah. He's obviously not talking about that though. Plus no the art director would NOT be talking about the tablet this way. That's for the game designer to, the game designer is going to be the one deal with, the new controls, and experiences that the tablet would bring to the game. Not the art director.

He didn't specify anything, so why is it you assume that if he was talking about the tablet that he would specify that? IF he was talking about higher rez textures or more DD or higher poly characters or whatever, he didn't specify those.

Also if you think the ART DIRECTOR isn't gonna have any input as to what is gonna be rendered on the tablet screen you are clueless.

Einbroch

Banned
My phone is pretty powerful. My dog is pretty powerful. The sun is pretty powerful.

Dumb, vague statement that can mean anything. Pretty can mean fairly, moderately, or quite a lot. E3 please.

Kamille

While it's obviously become a great sport for many on GAF to rile up Nintendo fans regarding Wii U specs, this back and forth is getting real tired. Be sensible. To the ones implying he's saying it's "pretty powerful" compared to Wii, come on. If Wii U was just equal to the 360/PS3, it is not "pretty powerful" compared to Wii, it's way more powerful. "Pretty powerful" does not describe the jump from Wii to the HD twins and cannot describe the jump from Wii to Wii U regardless of if it's equal or better than PS360.

No one thinks Wii U will be a huge leap above current gen HD (or at least they shouldn't). It seems likely it will be a moderate jump. Vigil is being vague because they have to be, but "pretty powerful" seems it could imply a moderate jump from the current-gen HD consoles they've already been working on. Just not a huge one. I'm not getting why that's so hard to swallow for either side of the argument.

Triple U

Banned
You can't render graphics on the tablet. The console streams pre-rendered video to the tablet. It's comparable to PSP's Remote Play feature, but likely using one of the new video streaming standards for better quality and lower latency. This would also explain the same-room limitation.

You render it on the GPU and its streamed to the tablet, which is what I said. Has it been actually been confirmed that the tablet receives video or actual data from the console? Either way you still have to render on the GPU, which means you still have to create a separate FB, which still means the tablet requires resources that the ART DIRECTOR is largely responsible to budget.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I expect Wii U to be the "PS2" in term of power for next-gen. Quite behind the other 2, but not enough to hurt it, unlike the Wii.

Shion

They all said it was as powerful as PS3/360..... for a next gen machine, that's not powerful.

If you ask me, the leaks point to a console that, while more powerful than the HD twins, it's still (more or less) in the same ballpark as the current-gen consoles. Kinda like what XBOX was in the previous gen.

That is why I really don't think that quotes like these actually contradict each other.

theBishop

Banned
You render it on the GPU and its streamed to the tablet, which is what I said. Has it been actually been confirmed that the tablet receives video or actual data from the console? Either way you still have to render on the GPU, which means you still have to create a separate FB, which still means the tablet requires resources that the ART DIRECTOR is largely responsible to budget.

All i'm saying is that the tablet contains no additional processing power beyond the console itself. At least, nintendo has given no reason to expect it.

Oddduck

Meanwhile, we have a taste of what early next-gen games will look like with Samaritan and the Frostbyte Engine. This stuff is already in development.

Rumors are only ridiculous to a person if those rumors don't fit that person's agenda.

And same goes for the opposite. Rumors seem likely if they fit that person's agenda.

I'm pretty sure that I said this in last years E3 thread but I'll say it again here.

What do people expect Vigil to say? Do you expect them to insult the PS360 and say that they're garbage compared to the Wii U when they have two versions of their game in development for the current gen consoles?

Maybe you expect them to say that they could make the Wii U version look much better than the other versions but they're not going to because it will cost them more money?

Or that the Wii U is weak and that they barely have the PS360 version running on it with the tablet going?

Vigil is trying to hype their game while being as diplomatic as possible about the differences between the versions. People trying to spin that in one way or the other are wasting their time.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It may have been already said, but I'll go out on a limb and say that this thread doesn't get anywhere near as large as the previous Vigil one did.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Since when did graphics become so important to Nintendo fanboys?
These threads all turn out the same. Bad for our collective health, haha

Oddduck

Since when did graphics become so important to Nintendo fanboys?
These threads all turn out the same. Bad for our collective health, haha

Believe it or not but there was a time when Nintendo was putting out consoles with tech that was on par with competitors.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Believe it or not but there was a time when Nintendo was putting out consoles with tech that was on par with competitors.

I believe quoting his tag would have worked as well.

Top Bottom