• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vigil Art Director in 2012: Wii U is pretty powerful.

Erethian

For the last time, saying "more powerful" doesn't make any sense in relation to the wii because darksiders 2 is not on that system. When he says they can do "more," he is talking about more in relation to something that actually EXISTS, ie. the other builds of darksiders 2.

This isn't that hard.

People just love to argue about this stuff.

I mean people continue to argue about the relative power of the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube to this day.

J-Rock

Banned
ngbbs48c2e7f7e9b7b.jpg

For the last time, saying "more powerful" doesn't make any sense in relation to the wii because darksiders 2 is not on that system. When he says they can do "more," he is talking about more in relation to something that actually EXISTS, ie. the other builds of darksiders 2.

This isn't that hard.

same thing can be say about the "On par" his game look on par with other

Guys who want to explore the power (Technical Director, Art Director): It's a beast.

Guy who has to worry about shipping a game on time (Game Director): Weaksauce. Not worth making new assets. Move along.

So....first Vigil said it is not that powerful, now they are saying it is...........................they change their minds as much as Epic does regarding tablet gaming.

No what actually happened was, first (in 2011) some one who directly worked with the hardware said it was more powerful then the current gen, then the game director who doesn't have anything to do with hardware said it was on par, then at the same time as that, ANOTHER person who deals directly with the hardware says its pretty powerful, and more powerful than the current gen.

Neogaf, jumps on and clings to the comments by the person who doesn't touch hardware, and ignores the 2 comments from the people who actually work with the hardware.

Danielsan

This isn't that hard.
Where in that quote that you get "more powerful"? He just say it's pretty powerful.
Anywho. I have no doubt in my mind that the Wii U will be more powerful than the current gen hardware. Though I suspect it probably won't be much of a leap. Which means the "on par" comment is fine as well.

Oddduck

Even if Nintendo themselves came out and confirmed Wii U was more powerful than 720/PS4, people would still find a way to spin it to put Nintendo's console in a negative light.

daebo

This isn't that hard.

He doesn't say more powerful. He says it's a powerful machine. Obviously, it will have more juice than current PS360... but that doesn't mean it's not on par with them either. All he said it's a 'powerful machine' not more powerful.

I don't know why that is so hard. What are you defending? Is your enjoyment of the system going to be any less or more if the machine is 5000x more powerful or on par with current machines? I'm going to say no, you'll enjoy it just fine.

SmokyDave

This isn't that hard.

He said 'pretty powerful' not 'more powerful'. In addition, he could well mean you can do more with the Wii-U than you could if they were working on the Wii. Now, I think you're likely correct but you shouldn't be acting as if you have the sole possible interpretation of the mans comments.

You've used up your allotment of bolded and underlined letters for the week in that post. I hope you enjoyed it.

guek

Banned
Where in that quote that you get "more powerful"? He just say it's pretty powerful.

I should have written "more" powerful rather than "more powerful," because that's spelled out clearly when he literally says "more resources" and that they can "do a lot more."

I thought people could have pieced that together.

I thought wrong.

Raist

Banned
Vigil dude 1: "WiiU is better than PS360"

Vigil dude 2: "WiiU is on par with PS360"

Vigil dude 3: "WiiU is pretty powerful"

Maybe they should have a meeting or something.

Erethian

He said 'pretty powerful' not 'more powerful'. He could well mean you can do more with the Wii-U than you could if they were working on the Wii.

You've used up your allotment of bolded and underlined letters for the week in that post. I hope you enjoyed it.

Why would they be comparing the technical capabilities of the Wii U to a system they never worked on?

That's just as silly as assuming he's saying the Wii U is actually super-mega powerful.

daebo

Even if Nintendo themselves came out and confirmed Wii U was more powerful than 720/PS4, people would still find a way to spin it to put Nintendo's console in a negative light.

No... you can't argue facts.

But when everything is up to speculation, apparently most of the people who frequent the nintendo threads have to fall on one side or the other.

Me, I'm taking a wait and see approach and still buy the system because I want to play Nintendo's first party games in HD. I guess when I buy all systems because I like games, I don't become a rabid fanboy.

guek

Banned
In addition, he could well mean you can do more with the Wii-U than you could if they were working on the Wii. Now, I think you're likely correct but you shouldn't be acting as if you have the sole possible interpretation of the mans comments.

Dude, they never worked on the wii. They never touched the wii. The statement makes zero sense in relation to the wii. This isn't about interpretation, it's about common sense.

daakusedo

More funny than desperate thread.
Doubting this statement with wii for comparison certainly is.
Still I won't contradict people telling on par and pretty powerful are not obligatory antinomic but certainly a bit forced.

wsippel

Banned
No it doesn't.
"more ressources, can do a lot more on the platform" does, though. Which he also said.

He said 'pretty powerful' not 'more powerful'. In addition, he could well mean you can do more with the Wii-U than you could if they were working on the Wii. Now, I think you're likely correct but you shouldn't be acting as if you have the sole possible interpretation of the mans comments.

Read the actual quote, not just the thread title.

They're all saying pretty similar things, only people try to spin one into contradicting another quote.

The thing is, Nintendo aren't going to release exact specs, so even after E3, there's going to be a shitton of debate on this subject. It won't be helped by the fact that most of the third party games will probably be straight PS360 ports with Upad functionality added on.

I should have written "more" powerful rather than "more powerful," because that's spelled out clearly when he literally says "more resources" and that they can "do a lot more."

I thought wrong.

"do a lot more" could easily be in reference to the tablet controller and what they can do with that. In fact, I'm guessing that's what he meant.

Bagu

He doesn't say more powerful. He says it's a powerful machine. Obviously, it will have more juice than current PS360... but that doesn't mean it's not on par with them either. All he said it's a 'powerful machine' not more powerful.

I don't know why that is so hard. What are you defending? Is your enjoyment of the system going to be any less or more if the machine is 5000x more powerful or on par with current machines? I'm going to say no, you'll enjoy it just fine.

Powerful is a relative term that needs context to make any sense. In 2012, slightly above 360/PS3 isn't powerful. Given that there is no Wii version of DS2, he's comparing it to said 360/PS3. He says they more resources and can do more than those two. The art director is saying the Wii U is powerful relative of the current gen consoles.

This is what I was going to post. But you pretty much nailed it. Wii U being a powerful/or more powerful is not mutually exclusive from it being on par with the current gen.

Damage control thread when it's not needed.

Triple U

Banned

I thought wrong.

More resources could mean more ram, which would allow you to do "alot more" without being more powerful at all. Still doesn't make the comment any less vague.

guek

Banned
"do a lot more" could easily be in reference to the tablet controller and what they can do with that. In fact, I'm guessing that's what he meant.

Except he's talking power and resources, but believe whatever you want.

I'm not even trying to say here that the console suddenly isn't "on par" with the current gen. You can be on par and still do a "lot" more, such as with the xbox vs ps2/DC. I accepted a long time ago that Wii U isn't going to be some monumental leap over the current gen.

I'm just irritated that people really can't wrap their heads around the fact that it doesn't make sense for him to be talking about wii.

Hoo-doo

Banned

So, taking these quotes together, we come to the conclusion that the WiiU is more powerful than the PS360, but not by a giant margin, hence why it's still "on par" with the current HD consoles. Like the fact that the PS3 is technically more powerful than a Xbox 360, but they are definitely on par.

Am I doing it right?

Why would the art director be talking about things to do with the tablet. Think in context of whose being asked the question. The ART DIRECTOR is saying they can do more with the system. It doesn't take a giant leap to realize he's talking about doing more with the ART, since he's the ART director.

There is not much I can really talk about right now, but I think that the ABACUS is a pretty powerful machine, which obviously means more resources, and means you can do a lot more. So the ABACUS team is doing very well, we've been working with Nintendo and I think it's going to be a very exciting sum of numbers but we want to keep the overall theme relatively consistent."
An abacus is pretty powerful... compared to doing math with a stick and some sand, however it wont be running UE 4 any time soon :)

Let this one go guys, expect slight improvements over current gen games. Just wish for the devs to take some time an implement the controller in interesting ways.

Zeliard

Except he's talking power and resources, but believe whatever you want.

I'm not even trying to say here that the console suddenly isn't "on par" with the current gen. You can be on par and still do a "lot" more, such as with the xbox vs ps2/DC. I accepted a long time ago that Wii U isn't going to be some monumental leap over the current gen.

I'm just irritated that people really can't wrap their heads around the fact that it doesn't make sense for him to be talking about wii.

You're a strange guy. Devs are privy to the Wii's technical specs without having necessarily created a game for it. Some devs never made anything for the Wii specifically because of its limited tech, so it stands to reason that some would ultimately feel the Wii U is capable of more by comparison.

It's a vague, worthless quote, and certainly nothing to be getting riled up over.

KrawlMan

Some of you are borderline obsessive about this shit.

When you are a huge fan of Nintendo games that has been stuck with Gamecube level hardware for the last 11 years you start to go a bit overboard at the idea of Nintendo finally having a decent machine.

z0m3le

Banned

"There is not much I can really talk about right now, but I think that the Wii U is a pretty powerful machine, which obviously means more resources, and means you can do a lot more. So the Wii U team is doing very well, we've been working with Nintendo and I think it's going to be a very exciting version of Darksiders but we want to keep the overall theme relatively consistent."

Pretty sure that translates into one thing: "Wii U has more resources and can do a lot more, but we want to keep the overall theme relatively consistent."

From what we know about the ram alone, that comment makes sense, but my god, if they could make a 360 level gpu this day and age without actually wasting more money then building something at least 2x more powerful, I think you'd have a point.

Anyways don't let your argument get in the way of logic.

guek

Banned
You're a strange guy. Devs are privy to the Wii's technical specs without having necessarily created a game for it. Some devs never made anything for the Wii specifically because of its limited tech, so it stands to reason that some would ultimately feel the Wii U is capable of more by comparison.

It's a vague, worthless quote, and certainly nothing to be getting riled up over.

Except he was talking about DS2. You know. The game they're working on that has nothing to do with wii. It's called context.

And I'm not getting riled up over whether or not the wii u is super powerful. I agree it's a relatively worthless quote, just like the "on par" quote. I just don't like it when people are being, you know, dumb.

So, taking these quotes together, we come to the conclusion that the WiiU is more powerful than the PS360, but not by a giant margin, hence why it's still "on par" with the current HD consoles. Like the fact that the PS3 is technically more powerful than a Xbox 360, but they are definitely on par.

Am I doing it right?

Shhh, thinking isn't allowed here.

Coolwhip

Banned
When you are a huge fan of Nintendo games that has been stuck with Gamecube level hardware for the last 11 years you start to go a bit overboard at the idea of Nintendo finally having a decent machine.

Yes but multiple threads and thousands of posts about it in the speculation thread is a bit much.

Yes but multiple threads and thousands of posts about it in the speculation thread is a bit much.

There are multiple threads and thousands of posts about the next Xbox and PlayStation as well. The closer we get to those releases, the more threads and posts there will be.

Top Bottom