• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vigil Art Director in 2012: Wii U is pretty powerful.

Vigil needs to shut up about the Wii U's power. There is no point in trying to hype people up with vague stuff. Nintendo can also fuck off with their secretive shit.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Believe it or not but there was a time when Nintendo was putting out consoles with tech that was on par with competitors.

This has not been there stance since the past administration change, what, 8 years ago?
They'll always take the more profitable route. They simply don't have other business units to support them, so they have to keep margins in mind more than other companies in their space.

Busty

Banned
Man alive just give it up.......

These Nintendo fans are doing so much spinning they are in real danger of 'cockscrewing' themselves into the ground.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's a pretty vague comment, not saying much that's new, what do you expect?

Because the other Vigil quote was pretty vague as well and that thread exploded.

VariantX

Don't think either the "on par thread" or this thread were good ideas. Should have both been in the speculation thread.

Bagu

So both comments are vague, but this one more than the other, this thread in particular is saying nothing new, it's seems like a formula for small thread.

The game director's comment was far more vague than this one

VariantX said:
Don't think either the "on par thread" or this thread were good ideas. Should have both been in the speculation thread.
Both were

D_prOdigy

It's a pretty vague comment, not saying much that's new, what do you expect?

Because the other Vigil quote was pretty vague as well and that thread exploded.

So both comments are vague, but this one more than the other, this thread in particular is saying nothing new, it's seems like a formula for small thread.

The game director's comment was far more vague than this one

I can see the tone of this thread has been established.

Oddduck

This has not been there stance since the past administration change, what, 8 years ago?
They'll always take the more profitable route. They simply don't have other business units to support them, so they have to keep margins in mind more than other companies in their space.

So what you're saying is that the Wii was the only Nintendo home console where there was a drastic difference between Nintendo hardware's power in comparison to the power of competing consoles? So because Nintendo released one console that was significantly less powerful, that means Nintendo will always go that route?

I don't disagree about them taking the more profitable route. But profitability doesn't indicate the Wii U will be a super weak machine.

donny2112

why does it feel that Darksiders 2 it the posterchild for wii U....am I missing some sort of behind the scenes relationship there....

They talked it up last E3 and even got Darksiders II running on it in five weeks. They've been one of the few developers actually working on a game to comment on it, and their comments almost never match! :lol

lednerg

There is not much I can really talk about right now, but I think that the Wii U is a pretty powerful machine, which obviously means more resources, and means you can do a lot more. So the Wii U team is doing very well, we've been working with Nintendo and I think it's going to be a very exciting version of Darksiders but we want to keep the overall theme relatively consistent."
Oh, but let's just focus on the phrase "pretty powerful" since that is vague enough to be twisted into our preconceived notions.

These Nintendo fans are doing so much spinning they are in real danger of 'cockscrewing' themselves into the ground.

Spin_Drill.png

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can see the tone of this thread has been established.

If you're inferring I'm a fanboy of any particular system do some fact-checking.

I made that comment because they were BOTH vague statements.

theBishop

Banned
Rumors are only ridiculous to a person if those rumors don't fit that person's agenda.

And same goes for the opposite. Rumors seem likely if they fit that person's agenda.

It's not about my agenda. The only reason I say it's ridiculous is because Microsoft already makes the Xbox360. There's your Xbox Lite. Unless they're making a family console they can sell for like $40, it's pointless.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
So what you're saying is that the Wii was the only Nintendo home console where there was a drastic difference between Nintendo hardware's power in comparison to the power of competing consoles? So because Nintendo released one console that was significantly less powerful, that means Nintendo will always go that route?

I don't disagree about them taking the more profitable route. But profitability doesn't indicate the Wii U will be a super weak machine.

It's a solid enough thread to set you own personal expectations with

Jokeropia

There is not much I can really talk about right now, but I think that the Wii U is a pretty powerful machine, which obviously means more resources, and means you can do a lot more. So the Wii U team is doing very well, we've been working with Nintendo and I think it's going to be a very exciting version of Darksiders but we want to keep the overall theme relatively consistent."
Oh, but let's just focus on the phrase "pretty powerful" since that is vague enough to be twisted into our preconceived notions.
This. "Pretty powerful" is obviously vague, but that bolded part is not.
are you sure it wasn't Mr. Wishful Thinking?
Vigil never even worked on Wii, so no.

Seems pretty likely that the power relationship between the wii u and the forthcoming systems is going to be comparable to the relationship between the Wii and the 360/PS3. Which is fine, as 360/PS3 games with great art direction look great, and will continue to look great in 5 years. ULTRA-GRITTY realistic shooters and what not are going to look noticeably worse compared to the new stuff, probably, but who cares. This is assuming the newer stuff will even look much better. As always, if there are great games that I want to play on the Wii U, I will buy it, if not, I won't. How many fold more powerful it is than whatever else is not really of concern to me.

lednerg

Obviously people here need the Wii U to not be any more capable than the 360 or PS3. Like they have something invested in that being the case. Sounds like a personal problem. People just need to chill and quit it with all the hyperbole.

And it's not even like the Wii U Speculation Thread regulars are talking about some massive, mind-bending upgrade or anything. It's enough to run games at a smoother framerate with more details and effects, but not so much that it'll cost a fortune, or drive game devs into bankruptcy trying to max out.

Obviously people here need the Wii U to not be any more capable than the 360 or PS3. Like they have something invested in that being the case. Sounds like a personal problem.

And it's not even like the Wii U Speculation Thread regulars are talking about some massive upgrade or anything. It's enough to run games at a smoother framerate with more details and effects, but not so much that it'll cost a fortune, or drive game devs into bankruptcy trying to max out.
Who would need something like that? Can't see why someone would want some consoles not to evolve over this gen. Man, most of your posts always seem to be about everyone else being a fanboy and disliking Nintendo.

Come to think about it, why did he use "pretty" in pretty powerful? If it was really more than "on par"* then he would have used "very" or "much more" or something like that, not pretty.

*On par as in PS3 is on par with 360 despite being more powerful.

guek

Banned
Come to think about it, why did he use "pretty" in pretty powerful? If it was really more than "on par"* then he would have used "very" or "much more" or something like that, not pretty.

rofl

Come to think about it, why did he use "a lot" in " you can do a lot more"? If it was really less than "on par"* then he would have used "a little" or "a bit" or something like that, not "a lot".

For the record (because I feel I have to say this every single time), I don't think Wii U is going to greatly exceed this gen's capabilities.

lednerg

Who would need something like that? Can't see why someone would want some consoles not to evolve over this gen. Man, most of your posts always seem to be about everyone else being a fanboy and disliking Nintendo.

I didn't say "everyone." If it doesn't apply to you, then don't apply it to yourself. The people I'm talking about know who they are.

Also, "most" of my posts are "always" about fanboys? Really?

StevieP

Banned
Anyone who still thinks WiiU will be portable with PS4 and Xbox3 is setting himself up for disappointment.

It's already portable with the next MS and Sony consoles. Just like MS and Sony's current consoles are portable with high end PC releases. Whether publishers *choose* to port content is a different story.

Sony will be building a pretty powerful machine next gen (at least, as powerful as you can within the standard console TDP limit). That doesn't mean they're going to go crazy and take massive losses on it to do so. They don't have the same leeway they did with the PS3 and the hardware designers are being kept on a much tighter leash.

Yes, because Nintendo fans are the only people spinning. How bout this:
None of the next gen consoles are going to end up as powerful as my current gaming rig. I can assure you that's a fact. Does that mean they're all going to be disappointing to everyone on this board? Or can people around here be more reasonable and accept them for what they are?

Doesn't say much, I hope no one was hoping this quote would change anyone's mind on the WiiU power situation.

As if the last incredible vague Vigil statement was more substantial than this one? Please... This thread won't go but 4 pages at most, not enough doom and gloom for the hungry GAF fiends.

As if the last incredible vague Vigil statement was more substantial than this one? Please... This thread won't go but 4 pages at most, not enough doom and gloom for the hungry GAF fiends.
You think it's not? This quote doesn't even say what they're comparing the WiiU in power too. The last thread had that.

Top Bottom