• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vigil Games: WiiU is "more powerful" than PS3/360; Darksiders II WiiU hints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pocks

BY2K said:
http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/video/HW_DI_Bilson

qbppI.png
Cool, didn't know the full interview for each developer was available.

3 titles at launch from THQ (or just Vigil?).. awesome

J-Rock

Banned
Discotheque said:
That screencap of the darksiders video looks cool and useful. But I'm just excited about Aliens using the controller as radar. Make it so.

Seriously this. To look down at the radar on that controller screen and hear that pulsating sound from it's speakers while the little dots draw in closer will give me chills. I really hope they make it happen.

I went to sleep after reading tons and tons of asinine posts from mental midgets, only to wake up and find some still spouting the same crap they know nothing about.

GAF really irritated me yesterday and some are still trying today. The only thing we know about the platforms hardware is that it's anywhere from a half-generational leap to a full generational leap. Even using underclocked versions of Watson is leaving you with a much much more powerful CPU (though not directly comparable) to either the PS3, or 360.

If the GPU is really in the 5xxx series of card, you'll also have a GPU many many times more powerful than in either the 360 or PS3. The console, even taking into account cutbacks, could be anywhere from a half-generational leap to full.

I don't think a lot of these guys understand just how weak the PS3 and 360 are in comparison to modern PC tech. In a lot of ways those two consoles are closer to the Wii than modern PC tech.

Pocks

Slightly off-topic, but I just watched the Yves Guilemont (Ubisoft) interview. They are working on 5 titles for Wii U, including 2 new brands.
  • Assassin's Creed (Wii U exclusive)
  • Rabbids
  • Ghost Recon Online
  • Revolutionary FPS (New IP)
  • Multisport game (New IP)

Frank Gibeau from EA also mentioned new ways to play Battlefield with Wii U, namely commander mode, driving from a different position inside a vehicle, etc.

EDIT: Link for Battlefield mention — http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/video/HW_DI_Gibeau

J-Rock

Banned
Pocks said:
Slightly off-topic, but I just watched the Yves Guilemont (Ubisoft) interview. They are working on 5 titles for Wii U, including 2 new brands.
  • Assassin's Creed (Wii U exclusive)
  • Rabbids
  • Ghost Recon Online
  • Revolutionary FPS (New IP)
  • Multisport game (New IP)

Thanks. Think we should post this in a main Wii U thread along with the THQ 3 launch games news?

J-Rock

Banned
Pocks said:
Frank Gibeau from EA also mentioned new ways to play Battlefield with Wii U, namely commander mode, driving from a different position inside a vehicle, etc.

Where did Frank say this? Got a link?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
J-Rock said:
Nice. Thanks! There also have 2 more launch games?! Secretive bastards.
I think it's extremely likely one is Devil's Third. Not too long ago, Itagaki hinted that the game would also be coming to a powerful Nintendo platform were one to come along.

Mael

Thunder Monkey said:
I went to sleep after reading tons and tons of asinine posts from mental midgets, only to wake up and find some still spouting the same crap they know nothing about.

GAF really irritated me yesterday and some are still trying today. The only thing we know about the platforms hardware is that it's anywhere from a half-generational leap to a full generational leap. Even using underclocked versions of Watson is leaving you with a much much more powerful CPU (though not directly comparable) to either the PS3, or 360.

If the GPU is really in the 5xxx series of card, you'll also have a GPU many many times more powerful than in either the 360 or PS3. The console, even taking into account cutbacks, could be anywhere from a half-generational leap to full.

I don't think a lot of these guys understand just how weak the PS3 and 360 are in comparison to modern PC tech. In a lot of ways those two consoles are closer to the Wii than modern PC tech.

Well they spent the last 5 years thinking that the hd twins where high tech so yeah to be so easily grounded back into the reality that was always there that they basically played with outdated hardware from day 1 is kind of galling I guess :lol

Cartman86

Banned
Sadist said:
Third party roundtable? When?

I'm also expecting BioShock Infinite Wii U before the end of the week

Tomorrow at 6PM PST. Probably WiiU online information during that as well if Reggie is to be believed.

J-Rock

Banned
Pocks said:
Yeah, good idea. There is actually a lot of hints and solid information in each of the interviews. New info throughout, so it might be worth it's own thread.

EDIT: Here's the link: http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/video/HW_DI_Gibeau

Damn. I'm heading to bed. I'd make it if I wasn't. Someone should round everything up and see if it's enough for a "Wii U - Game Thread"(first and third party). I might try tomorrow if nobody makes it.

Sadist said:
Third party roundtable? When?

I'm also expecting BioShock Infinite Wii U before the end of the week

Wed 8:30pm EST ... I think. tired.

[Nintex]

I'm certainly impressed by what we know about the system so far. PowerPC7 and a GPU probably from the Radeon HD5xxx series. I think we're looking at a future 'PS2' instead of a future 'Dreamcast'.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thunder Monkey said:

It would almost be difficult for them to *not* be more powerful than PS3/360.

Not sure about generational leap though. For that you have to compare with what PS4/720 will be. If Nintendo are cutting any corners with underclocked chips etc, then that leaves 'tech on the table' for MS/Sony to take advantage of.

I don't expect WiiU to compete with PS3/360 on pure tech, but I hope they have enough grunt to keep up with multiplatform ports throughout the next gen. Just being able to get current ports won't be enough.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
balladofwindfishes said:
I completely agree with this post.

I have similar feelings. That the average consumer is not going to really notice much difference between graphics now and graphics of the "next generation." We're at a very interesting time when 3D models have basically hit about as close to reality as they can, and once games catch up to that sort of technology... the ceiling will be hit. But it's not realistic to expect such a leap right now, not in the current shaky stake of the industry.

come on, we say this every fucking generation.

'look at Toshinden - so fucking realistic. Can't imagine graphics getting any better than that!'

Red UFO

mrklaw said:
come on, we say this every fucking generation.

'look at Toshinden - so fucking realistic. Can't imagine graphics getting any better than that!'

At this point in a generation it's usually a good idea to look at the PC to see what the console games are going to look like. But when we look there, the improvements aren't that great, just improvements to IQ, which I don't think a lot of people outside of GAF and similar environments actually notice.

mrklaw said:
It would almost be difficult for them to *not* be more powerful than PS3/360.

Not sure about generational leap though. For that you have to compare with what PS4/720 will be. If Nintendo are cutting any corners with underclocked chips etc, then that leaves 'tech on the table' for MS/Sony to take advantage of.

I don't expect WiiU to compete with PS3/360 on pure tech, but I hope they have enough grunt to keep up with multiplatform ports throughout the next gen. Just being able to get current ports won't be enough.
Yes, it would be difficult for the system to be weaker than either the PS3, or 360. I was arguing that exactly my friend... since there seems to a contingency of GAFers that seem to think that exact thing about the platform.

I was saying that they knew shit. Even using underclocked parts this thing should be anywhere from a half-generational leap to full. I don't expect Sony or MS to have anything that much more powerful in their platforms. More powerful on smaller die sizes? Sure. I don't expect the difference to be any bigger than the difference between the Dreamcast and GCN though.

All using extremely similar tech, just some on smaller die sizes, with faster clock speeds and potentially more RAM. Kind of hard to say on that one when we don't know WiiU's RAM amount.

Jay Sosa

I'm actually satisfied with the u supposedly being just a bit more powerful than the ps3 and the 360. gimme clean looking games with a nice framerate and I'm happy. The way more important issue here is that it seems that finally 3. party developers are willing to develop games that I'm looking forward to on the system. Titles like Darksiders 2 AND the Nintendo franchises all in HD? I can't wait. I just hope they'll sell good enough to justify them continuing to put out "core" games.

Mael

Thunder Monkey said:
Yes, it would be difficult for the system to be weaker than either the PS3, or 360. I was arguing that exactly my friend... since there seems to a contingency of GAFers that seem to think that exact thing about the platform.

I was saying that they knew shit. Even using underclocked parts this thing should be anywhere from a half-generational leap to full. I don't expect Sony or MS to have anything that much more powerful in their platforms. More powerful on smaller die sizes? Sure. I don't expect the difference to be any bigger than the difference between the Dreamcast and GCN though.

All using extremely similar tech, just some on smaller die sizes, with faster clock speeds and potentially more RAM. Kind of hard to say on that one when we don't know WiiU's RAM amount.

Huh that's pretty sizable...

Red UFO said:
At this point in a generation it's usually a good idea to look at the PC to see what the console games are going to look like. But when we look there, the improvements aren't that great, just improvements to IQ, which I don't think a lot of people outside of GAF and similar environments actually notice.
Show me a shooter on consoles that has levels similar to Crysis.

beje

Banned
Wow, this thread has been awesome for adding more fanboyish morons and manchildren into my ignore list.

Also, ROFL'ing at the people actually expecting MS and Sony to go over-200 watts and alien refrigeration/cooling system for their new consoles once again after the reliability and failure rate problems it has caused during this generation. And it's not like we've seen graphics card shrinkage this gen (everything after the 48xx has been getting more and more HUGE and power demanding in PC) so they just can't cram a 6970 in a console box without repeating all their mistakes (in this case, it would cause 599 US DOLLARS and Red Ring of Death at the same time).

Kato

Lostconfused said:
Show me a shooter on consoles that has levels similar to Crysis.

Thats the thing; its not about you analizing geometry and textures/poly's measuring/counting and hugging your awesome videocard. Its about perception of people outside neogaf. They see it like UFO is saying: it looks a bit better but not OMG GEN LEAP difference.

Kato said:
Its about perception of people outside neogaf. They see it like UFO is saying: it looks a bit better but not OMG GEN LEAP difference.
Those people probably haven't even seen what a game running on PC looks like.

Also "omg not a gen leap difference" comments are bullshit. What did the games look like at the beginning of this generation?

1132768361.jpg

1177120823.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
On GTTV yesterday I think CliffyB said the footage of Aliens was in fact running on the WiiU (Geoff had said earlier he didn't think it was). I thought the footage looked like shit, but I have no idea how long they've had the hardware.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Red UFO said:

No, because there aren't many PC games pushing the envelope right now. Multiplatform PC games are mostly just console poly counts with higher res textures - lazy ports basically. They don't tell you anything about what a new console would be capable of.

Since when did this 'look at PC games' become the norm? We've only had three generations of '3D' consoles, and PCs were barely even doing 3D for the first ones. If we learn anything about games its that you can't accurately use past events to predict future ones.

Luckyman

Banned
Orayn said:
It's because they're beholden to using the same parts as earlier iterations of the consoles. You could easily come out with a system with equivalent or greater power in a smaller package, because you'd be able to use different parts. What's so hard to understand about this?

lol really. PS3 and 360 slim have same components as launch units. You obv dont know wtf you are talking about. Number and size of parts have been reduced multiple times.

Kato

Lostconfused said:
Those people probably haven't even seen what a game running on PC looks like.

Also "omg not a gen leap difference" comments are bullshit. What did the games look like at the beginning of this generation?

Shot1
Shot2

Not to get on your case but what are you trying to say with those shots exactly?

I lol at some people.
You think that the 360 and PS3 being as fat as they are means Wii U needs to be fat?
newer generation CPU's and GPU's draw less power so cooled more easily, as well as this i expect Nintendo has down-clocked them a little to keep efficiency up.
I mean look at the GC, Nintendo are super efficient at console manufacture and design.

But still 2010/2011 chips vs 2004/2005 chips shouldn't be a grounds to compare box sizes and power

If people are arguing over the hd Zelda footage being 1080 or 720p then they haven't got a chance of telling the difference in consoles when they are all running in 1080p

StuBurns

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
I lol at some people.
You think that the 360 and PS3 being as fat as they are means Wii U needs to be fat?
newer generation CPU's and GPU's draw less power so cooled more easily, as well as this i expect Nintendo has down-clocked them a little to keep efficiency up.
I mean look at the GC, Nintendo are super efficient at console manufacture and design.

But still 2010/2011 chips vs 2004/2005 chips shouldn't be a grounds to compare box sizes and power
I think people mean because the box is small it's not a 'next-gen' leap, not that it's not better than the PS360.

StuBurns said:
I think people mean because the box is small it's not a 'next-gen' leap, not that it's not better than the PS360.

Again thats what i'm saying too.
Just because PS3 and 360 are fat consoles, doesn't mean next gen consoles have to be.
I mean look at PC towers now compared to years ago. You needed a whole room for a PC tower ten years ago. Now they sit neatly under your monitor!

Box size != Power (necessarily of course)

Kato said:
Not to get on your case but what are you trying to say with those shots exactly?
"gen leap" comments are just a stupid attempt at justifying a new console purchase to your self. It has little to do with the actual hardware capabilities or performance of the console.

StuBurns

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
Again thats what i'm saying too.
Just because PS3 and 360 are fat consoles, doesn't mean next gen consoles have to be.
I mean look at PC towers now compared to years ago. You needed a whole room for a PC tower ten years ago. Now they sit neatly under your monitor!

Box size != Power (necessarily of course)
But that's not true at all, towers are roughly the same size today as they've always been. And games consoles have always launched large, expect the Wii which was a 'last-gen' console, and now the WiiU which has yet to show anything that suggests to me it's not exactly the same situation as last time.

StuBurns said:
But that's not true at all, towers are roughly the same size today as they've always been. And games consoles have always launched large, expect the Wii which was a 'last-gen' console, and now the WiiU which has yet to show anything that suggests to me it's not exactly the same situation as last time.
At worst it will be a half-gen leap.

You're talking about a much more efficient CPU, with a large cache of eDram, and from what we're hearing a fairly powerful GPU. The systems best looking games will be much better looking than either the PS3 or 360's best looking games.

In the worst case for the WiiU, the PS4 and 720 will have games that look a half generation better. All of the engines should scale really easy. This isn't going to be the same generation as last.

All Nintendo has to do is prove those that buy their consoles will buy 3rd party titles. If they can do that, they are set for this next generation.

StuBurns said:

Yeah you can buy them fricking huge if you want to build a nasa control centre in your lounge. but desktops with 10's if not overall 100's times more power now than a standard user would of had 10 years ago, is not the same size

StuBurns

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
Yeah you can buy them fricking huge if you want to build a nasa control centre in your lounge. but desktops with 10's if not overall 100's times more power now than a standard user would of had 10 years ago, is not the same size
That's because 'standard users' needs haven't increased with gamers needs. Running Quake versus Crysis isn't the same as running Word '95 versus Word '10.

Gaming PCs are as large as ever.

Thunder Monkey said:
At worst it will be a half-gen leap.

You're talking about a much more efficient CPU, with a large cache of eDram, and from what we're hearing a fairly powerful GPU. The systems best looking games will be much better looking than either the PS3 or 360's best looking games.

In the worst case for the WiiU, the PS4 and 720 will have games that look a half generation better. All of the engines should scale really easy. This isn't going to be the same generation as last.

All Nintendo has to do is prove those that buy their consoles will buy 3rd party titles. If they can do that, they are set for this next generation.
That's what I've been told, I know nothing about this stuff personally, so I hope that's the case.

StuBurns said:
That's because 'standard users' needs haven't increased with gamers needs. Running Quake versus Crysis isn't the same as running Word '95 versus Word '10.

Gaming PCs are as large as ever.

Gaming consoles aren't Gaming PC's

And the point i'm saying is.
PC hardware which is many times more powerful is smaller than many years ago. so things get smaller yet more powerful.
ergo, just because its smaller than a 360 doesn't mean it's not a leap above

Gaming rigs are as big as they are as the user wants them big. There's still a shit ton of dead space in even powerful rigs.

DefectiveReject said:
I lol at some people.

People on both sides of the argument are going overboard on the size issue. Its a very important factor to look at and confirms that this thing isn't going to be a monster anywhere close to modern PCs. Directly comparing the size to the 360 isn't a particularly great idea either, its a decent frame of reference but nothing more, as Xenon never fared well in the power efficiencey stakes at launch, nevermind now.

StuBurns said:
That's what I've been told, I know nothing about this stuff personally, so I hope that's the case.
It would have been the case this past gen if Nintendo had upgraded to an even marginally more powerful GPU. The games might have looked like PC games of the lowest setting, but as long as the engines scale, developers have no problem porting.

StuBurns

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
Gaming consoles aren't Gaming PC's

And the point i'm saying is.
PC hardware which is many times more powerful is smaller than many years ago. so things get smaller yet more powerful.
ergo, just because its smaller than a 360 doesn't mean it's not a leap above

Gaming rigs are as big as they are as the user wants them big. There's still a shit ton of dead space in even powerful rigs.
It doesn't mean it's not either. It implies it though, as does releasing first, as does including a costly control interface, as does the success of the Wii, as does the 3DS, as does the vague claims of performance from Reggie, as does what's been shown of the games so far.

I don't think it's a big deal personally, Nintendo creamed the competition (at least in terms of install base), I don't see why they'd want to change their plans.

EDIT: depends what you mean by 'leap' really, my post was about a generation leap. There is no question it is going to be better than the PS360, it practically can't be releasing six years later.

StuBurns said:
It doesn't mean it's not either. It implies it though, as does releasing first, as does including a costly control interface, as does the success of the Wii, as does the 3DS, as does the vague claims of performance from Reggie, as does what's been shown of the games so far.

I don't think it's a big deal personally, Nintendo creamed the competition (at least in terms of install base), I don't see why they'd want to change their plans.

EDIT: depends what you mean by 'leap' really, my post was about a generation leap. There is no question it is going to be better than the PS360, it practically can't be releasing six years later.
Honestly Stu, I'd be more worried about the 360 or PS3 hampering the next gen consoles more than WiiU. The engines will likely scale to those platforms as well.

StuBurns

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Honestly Stu, I'd be more worried about the 360 or PS3 hampering the next gen consoles more than WiiU. The engines will likely scale to those platforms as well.
That's short term issues though right? Those systems aren't going to be viable in 2020, WiiU will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom