• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vigil Games: WiiU is "more powerful" than PS3/360; Darksiders II WiiU hints

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thunder Monkey said:
At worst it will be a half-gen leap.

You're talking about a much more efficient CPU, with a large cache of eDram, and from what we're hearing a fairly powerful GPU. The systems best looking games will be much better looking than either the PS3 or 360's best looking games.

In the worst case for the WiiU, the PS4 and 720 will have games that look a half generation better. All of the engines should scale really easy. This isn't going to be the same generation as last.

All Nintendo has to do is prove those that buy their consoles will buy 3rd party titles. If they can do that, they are set for this next generation.

aren't you making quite a few assumptions here?

You're saying the WiiU games will be much better looking than PS3/360. Then you say PS4/Xbox 720 will at best be half a gen ahead? Based on what?

Its possible that Nintendo are conservative about specs again, but even conservative tech will outclass PS3/360 due to age and how tech has evolved. So there might still be plenty of headroom for a PS4/Xbox 720.

Too much conjecture for my liking. Probably be E3 next year where we see proper games from WiiU and maybe an announcement of one of the others next consoles, before we can properly compare.

Lostconfused said:
Those people probably haven't even seen what a game running on PC looks like.

Also "omg not a gen leap difference" comments are bullshit. What did the games look like at the beginning of this generation?

This is a tech demo. Much like the FFVII trailer was for PS3. You could argue PS3 games *now* start to look somewhat like that.

StuBurns

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
I doubt the WiiU is viable by 2020. Nintendo will have the WiiUU out by then.
I'm sure a WiiUAll will be out by then, but eight years wouldn't be exceptional shelf life by any stretch.

Busty

Banned
What's the point of the WiiU being more powerful than the 360/PS3 if that power is never realised?

Third party ports of what are likely to be games developed with the 360 as the lead platform, as it is now, are never going to show what the WiiU can do.

Unless Nintendo sign a really talented studio like Crytek to make a graphically intense game from the ground for the WiiU al this graphics horsepower will go to waste.

Speaking of Crytek, if Nintendo really want to show the WiiU's graphics power let's see them port the original Crysis to the console (even as just a tech demo) and show just what the platform can do with a beast of a game like that.

mrklaw said:
aren't you making quite a few assumptions here?

You're saying the WiiU games will be much better looking than PS3/360. Then you say PS4/Xbox 720 will at best be half a gen ahead? Based on what?

Its possible that Nintendo are conservative about specs again, but even conservative tech will outclass PS3/360 due to age and how tech has evolved. So there might still be plenty of headroom for a PS4/Xbox 720.

Too much conjecture for my liking. Probably be E3 next year where we see proper games from WiiU and maybe an announcement of one of the others next consoles, before we can properly compare.
Taking a very powerful GPU of today (which is likely the era of GPU Sony and MS are looking at) they'd need to go through significant shrinks and redesigns to be workable for a 2013 console. The biggest problem with modern day GPU's is just how power hungry they are, and how much heat they produce. Even taking a console the size of the PS3, you're talking significant power reduction needs, lower clocks, shader ops, to get them into a large console.

Consoles aren't PC's. Yes, it's more than a little conjecture on my part, but based in some form of reality.

WARP10CK

Banned
SoulPlaya said:
Why would that lay fears to rest? I fear that this will be the next Dreamcast to 3rd parties. A next gen console that gets "higher-res" current gen ports. When the next Xbox and PS4 come out, it will probably blow this out of the water, and unfortunately, 3rd parties may just abandon it then.

Well it seems that the PS3 and 360 will be around for some time to come.
Nintendo is trying to cash in on the hardcore market and the casual market at the same time, only time will tell if they succeded and Nintendo is taking a big risk here.

But lets not underestimate Nintendo we all the had the same discussions when the wii was annouced, and that turned out really well for them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
WiiU is in a small box.

they have to get rid of the heat somehow.

Larger box for 720/PS4 would give more space for fans/heatpipes and allow them to use hotter chips. Yes there is a limit but perhaps they'll take some pain while expecting a die shrink during the lifetime of the machine too?

And aren't recent GPUs starting to get more power efficient? GTX560 for instance is actually pretty quiet and relatively low power?

beje

Banned
mrklaw said:
WiiU is in a small box.

they have to get rid of the heat somehow.

Larger box for 720/PS4 would give more space for fans/heatpipes and allow them to use hotter chips. Yes there is a limit but perhaps they'll take some pain while expecting a die shrink during the lifetime of the machine too?

And aren't recent GPUs starting to get more power efficient? GTX560 for instance is actually pretty quiet and relatively low power?

You have to take into account power consumption as well. A GTX560 or something in the line would still need a 300W or 400W power supply. Compare that to PS3 and 360 which are between 100W and 200W (I don't remember the exact figure)

GCX

Busty said:
What's the point of the WiiU being more powerful than the 360/PS3 if that power is never realised?

Third party ports of what are likely to be games developed with the 360 as the lead platform, as it is now, are never going to show what the WiiU can do.

Unless Nintendo sign a really talented studio like Crytek to make a graphically intense game from the ground for the WiiU al this graphics horsepower will go to waste.

Speaking of Crytek, if Nintendo really want to show the WiiU's graphics power let's see them port the original Crysis to the console (even as just a tech demo) and show just what the platform can do with a beast of a game like that.
You don't need Crytek to do games with great visuals.

Nintendo themselves will probably do some really impressive games once they'll learn to use the hardware well, just like they've done with every console they've released.
We'll see what developers like Retro Studios and EAD Tokyo come up with.

beje said:
You have to take into account power consumption as well. A GTX560 or something in the line would still need a 300W or 400W power supply. Compare that to PS3 and 360 which are between 100W and 200W (I don't remember the exact figure)
Actually, the GTX560 is recommended a 500W power supply.

Basically I have no clue what MS or Sony could realistically do to put themselves in a league far above the WiiU.

Thunder Monkey said:

Basically I have no clue what MS or Sony could realistically do to put themselves in a league far above the WiiU.

Defy the laws of physics.

Ushojax said:
Retro and EAD Tokyo.

dat art design

An HD game with Metroid Prime's detail to textures and Galaxy's artstyle.
Yeah, it would basically destroy everything.

Busty

Banned
GCX said:
You don't need Crytek to do games with great visuals.

Nintendo themselves will probably do some really impressive games once they'll learn to use the hardware well, just like they've done with every console they've released.
We'll see what developers like Retro Studios and EAD Tokyo come up with.

I'd actually argue that while Nintendo games have always had amazing art, but since Nintendo bowed out of the GFX arms race with the Wii there weren't exactly many first party titles that showed off what that machine could do.

While I'm sure that Retro will be able to show something amazing for the WiiU I'm not sure how accurate people's assumptions are that Nitnendo's first (and second?) party output will be the equivalent to that of Sony's worldwide studio group.

Nintendo and their studios put their foot on the technology brake as it were with their Wii philosophy (which was a great success) I'm not sure how easily they can get back up to speed with the MS and Sony's exclusive content.

Busty said:
I'd actually argue that while Nintendo games have always had amazing art, but since Nintendo bowed out of the GFX arms race with the Wii there weren't exactly many first party titles that showed off what that machine could do.

While I'm sure that Retro will be able to show something amazing for the WiiU I'm not sure how accurate people's assumptions are that Nitnendo's first (and second?) party output will be the equivalent to that of Sony's worldwide studio group.

Nintendo and their studios put their foot on the technology brake as it were with their Wii philosophy (which was a great success) I'm not sure how easily they can get back up to speed with the MS and Sony's exclusive content.
I honestly doubt given how the company makes it's games that they ever put the brakes on.

They've probably had prototypes running on 360ish hardware for years.

StuBurns

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:

They aren't launching today though, they're designing a system for two, possibly three years from now.

I can't believe it's not possible to outclass this hardware a year or two later. They could literally sell two WiiUs duct-taped together at the very least.

They're probably going to launch at a higher price, no built in profit, larger physical system, less costly interface and considerably later. They should be miles ahead.

StuBurns said:
They aren't launching today though, they're designing a system for two, possibly three years from now.

I can't believe it's not possible to outclass this hardware a year or two later. They could literally sell two WiiUs duct-taped together at the very least.

They're probably going to launch at a higher price, no built in profit, larger physical system, less costly interface and considerably later. They should be miles ahead.
I never said they wouldn't outclass it.

They will. But at best it's going to be a marginal difference.

GCX

Busty said:

It'll probably take some time but I'm sure some Nintendo studios will be up there with the best as the generation goes forward. Let's also not forget that Nintendo has expanded many of its studios with new staff to prepare for Wii U development. Those new people most probably already have years of HD development experience.

Busty

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
I honestly doubt given how the company makes it's games that they ever put the brakes on.

They've probably had prototypes running on 360ish hardware for years.

Hardware takes years to develop so I've not doubt that the first party studios have been kept in the loop about the hardware and it's specs. Again if that's the case where are these games/prototypes that they have supposedly had for years?

It's all very well making these assumptions but it's no mistake that all the games shown were third party games that have already been announced for the PS3 and 360.

Reggie even said that some of the footage shown of third party games were from ps360 builds. I just wonder if Nintendo and it's first party studios are where the Japanese games industry were at the start of he HD gaming generation. Taken a little by surprise and now playing catch up.

StuBurns

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
I never said they wouldn't outclass it.

They will. But at best it's going to be a marginal difference.
Outclass and marginal seems contradictory.

To outclass is to be greatly superior, not marginally so.

beje

Banned
StuBurns said:

Again, the main problem is that we barely have seen GPU miniaturization this gen: anything beyond 48xx and low/mid end 5xxx are huge bricks, getting bigger and bigger and needing dedicated power lines connected directly to them so if they want to use one of those in their next-gen systems it's going to cost a fuck ton on R&D to make them viable for a console box. The ones supposedly used by Nintendo have already been shrinked to some extent.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
StuBurns said:
I'm sure a WiiUAll will be out by then, but eight years wouldn't be exceptional shelf life by any stretch.
Can't wait for the WiiUAllEverybody.

StuBurns said:

Well it really depends on what you're getting at.

Will they be more powerful than the WiiU? Yes.

But the difference is going to be significantly smaller than the difference between modern PC games like the Witcher versus a 360 title.

Drek

Thunder Monkey said:

Because in the three to four years it'll take until they actually launch new systems technology isn't going to take further leaps and bounds right?

I mean, its not like ARM, ATi/AMD and Nvidia aren't sinking a very large portion of their R&D budgets into handheld graphical solutions or anything, all of which need to run cool and with lower energy consumption.

By the time Sony and MS are releasing their next systems we'll have tablets with as much graphical horsepower, if not more, than 360 and PS3. Sony is releasing a handheld for $250 near that power level this Christmas. If Wii U isn't a significant jump ahead of the two current consoles it will easily be left far behind.

Dragon

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:

But the difference is going to be significantly smaller than the difference between modern PC games like the Witcher versus a 360 title.

Your previous argument is that the difference will be less than the difference between the Wii and 360/PS3 right now. I'm more interested in that than the PC one, just because the PC is going to continue to advance whereas we're stuck with whatever happens with these three consoles for at least five years.

I think it's too early to speculate, although of course that's the whole point of this thread really :p.

TheBranca18 said:
Your previous argument is that the difference will be less than the difference between the Wii and 360/PS3 right now. I'm more interested in that than the PC one, just because the PC is going to continue to advance whereas we're stuck with whatever happens with these three consoles for at least five years.

I think it's too early to speculate, although of course that's the whole point of this thread really :p.
What?

I never made that argument. My only argument has been some expect way too much from the next Sony and MS console.

Even going all out they are limited by their huge case sizes. A half generational difference at best seems to be the argument I'm falling back on. In this day and age that's going to lead to less visual differences than between the PS3 and 360. More AF a few more shader ops.

Minimal differences. But that's mainly if RAM amounts are anywhere near parity.

[Nintex]

Thunder Monkey said:

Exactly. It's a real next-gen console for sure. MS and Sony have two options to outdo Nintendo, the first is to build a better console and sell it for the same price as the WiiU while taking a loss for each unit sold. The difference still wouldn't be that noticable on all fronts since I can't see them lose more than $50 or $75 on every machine.

The second scenario is to wait till 2014 or so, when Nintendo's tech(I guess finished late 2010/early 2011) is somewhat outdated but by then they've given Nintendo too much of a lead and third party developers will most likely use the WiiU as their lead platform. We have to wait and see but I think the PS4/Xbox720/WiiU box's will be mostly the same. MS, Nintendo and Sony are going to convince consumers of their experience which in Sony's case will be based on media functions, Vita, Tablet, Xperia etc. connections and in Microsoft's case Kinect 2.0.

Thunder Monkey said:

MS could make a 10 inch Surface tablet, they already have touchscreen tech designed for games like RUSE
Alot deeper then what we saw for wiiU

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thunder Monkey said:

500W is for the entire system.

draws about 150W when at full load - not sure what percentage it adds to idle. And thats powering the chip, ram, display hardware etc. On a console you'd just have the GPU, all the other would be common to the console. Plus if you customise it (I think you could remove some pixel shaders if you're only driving 1080p; perhaps cut some vertex shaders if you're doing that mostly on the CPU), you could bring that TDP down even further but still have comparable performance for a consumer HDTV.)

They aren't going to literally stick a PCI card in the next consoles, we have to give them some credit for tuning a system efficiently to the target needs - look at the 360 and the edram, not standard on a PC part.

The argument you guys are having about the wattage and heating issues is an important one. The volume of the WiiU compared to to the 360/PS3 is tiny, it has no HD and it's graphics card is most likely of a variety that will not produce much wattage at all.

It's a big improvement over the big behemoths in my table right now. I hope they pack it with everything it needs to produce great graphics, an awesome OS and a decent online service(although this is more software than hardware) instead of unnecessary things that decrease it's longevity.

Busty said:

Xbox 360 , known to hold other console's powerz back since 2006 !

Ushojax said:
Retro and EAD Tokyo.

dat art design

Clouseauava.jpg

StuBurns said:

They're not coming out 2 years after the Wii U. MAYBE, maybe one of them will wait that long, but I doubt it. They're going to launch in 2013 at the latest. It would be incredibly dumb for them to give Wii U a 2 year head start. Hell the PS3 gave the 360 a year head start and isn't it still trying to make up the difference of units. So they're going to need to finalize the chips their using next year. It doesn't give them a lot of time to shrink down some GPU beast. Which hasn't even been the case of where GPU tech is going. Like others have already posted, GPUs keep getting bigger and bigger, you're not seeing GPU tech getting smaller and cooler running.

StuBurns

Banned
Shin Johnpv said:
They're not coming out 2 years after the Wii U. MAYBE, maybe one of them will wait that long, but I doubt it. They're going to launch in 2013 at the latest. It would be incredibly dumb for them to give Wii U a 2 year head start. Hell the PS3 gave the 360 a year head start and isn't it still trying to make up the difference of units. So they're going to need to finalize the chips their using next year. It doesn't give them a lot of time to shrink down some GPU beast. Which hasn't even been the case of where GPU tech is going. Like others have already posted, GPUs keep getting bigger and bigger, you're not seeing GPU tech getting smaller and cooler running.
Yes, the 360 came a year before the PS3 (longer in some countries), and it's only just about even. The Wii came out a year after the 360, and fucking slaughtered it.

The PS2 came a year after Dreamcast and won. PS1 didn't go first either.

Shin Johnpv said:
Like others have already posted, GPUs keep getting bigger and bigger, you're not seeing GPU tech getting smaller and cooler running.

Have you seen the latest gaming laptops perform ?

StuBurns said:
Yes, the 360 came a year before the PS3 (longer in some countries), and it's only just about even. The Wii came out a year after the 360, and fucking slaughtered it.

The PS2 came a year after Dreamcast and won. PS1 didn't go first either.

I didn't say who ever was first to market won. The Wii, PS2, and PS1 all did things their competition didn't and that's why they succeeded. In a closer race giving your competition a 2 year head start is stupid. If the PS3 launched 2 years after the 360 how might the numbers look now? Probably even worse in Sony's favor.

I think it would be a big mistake for Sony and MS to let Nintendo be the only next gen console in town for 2 years. In 2 years they could have a pretty established audience in both the hardcore and casual markets.

So, people still honestly think that after all the losses Sony had with the PS3, they will announce a PS4 in 2012 and release it in 2013? I found that hard to belive... they can still do great things with PS3.

I mean, as long as they add Vita support on the PS3, and you could do the same things like with the U controller on the Wii U, then Sony is safe. They should somehow make 1080p a standard, still being the "mayor" 3D delivery man, maintain 60fps (the REAL hard thing to do) and all people happy, but nobody will start complaining about "how bad games look on the PS3 compared to the WiiU"... let's be realistic here.

StuBurns

Banned
Shin Johnpv said:
I didn't say who ever was first to market won. The Wii, PS2, and PS1 all did things their competition didn't and that's why they succeeded. In a closer race giving your competition a 2 year head start is stupid. If the PS3 launched 2 years after the 360 how might the numbers look now? Probably even worse in Sony's favor.

I think it would be a big mistake for Sony and MS to let Nintendo be the only next gen console in town for 2 years. In 2 years they could have a pretty established audience in both the hardcore and casual markets.
Which is why I said "two, possibly three years", which is what you quoted so I really don't see your point.

DisenLedZep said:
So, people still honestly think that after all the losses Sony had with the PS3, they will announce a PS4 in 2012 and release it in 2013? I found it hard to belive... they can still do great things with PS3.

I mean, as long as they add Vita support on the PS3, and you could do the same things like with the U controller on the Wii U, then Sony is safe. They should somehow make 1080p a standard, still being the "mayor" 3D delivery man, maintain 60fps (the REAL hard thing to do) and all people happy, but nobody will start complaining about "how bad games look on the PS3 compared to the WiiU"... let's be realistic here.

The Vita/PS3 = WiiU thing needs to die - you're talking about a console and a handheld that need to be bought separately for a total cost of something like $500 versus a console with the controller packed-in for more likely somewhere around $300-350. Not to mention securing dev support for what with the Vita should be considered just a glorified peripheral.

As for "somehow" making 1080p and 60fps the standard? Really? And people already talk about how bad certain titles look on the PS3 versus the 360 - assuming the rumoured Wii U specs are true, I think you might see rather more of that in the future...

TheExodu5

Banned
From the tech demos we've seen, it's quite obvious the WiiU is pretty far ahead of the PS3/360 in terms of shader performance, at the very least.

Anyone that thinks the lighting and DOF in Zelda and the Nature demo is doable on the current gen consoles is delusional. What we've seen here is more on the level of Metro 2033 PC.

OniShiro

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
From the tech demos we've seen, it's quite obvious the WiiU is pretty far ahead of the PS3/360 in terms of shader performance, at the very least.

Anyone that thinks the lighting and DOF in Zelda and the Nature demo is doable on the current gen consoles is delusional. What we've seen here is more on the level of Metro 2033 PC.

Specs probably are not even closed yet, so who knows? until the final hardware is announced it can be slightly more powerful than PS3/360 or much more powerful.

StuBurns said:
Which is why I said "two, possibly three years", which is what you quoted so I really don't see your point.

o_O

so you're saying to give Nintendo even more time in establishing a user base and being the only Next Gen system on the block? Honestly I have no idea what you're saying at this point.

What I'm saying is that they have to design a system that's going to be hitting in 2013, they can't let Nintendo be the only ones on the block till 2014. So they have to lock down chips next year, clock speed, and shader cores, ram can change, but they need to pick chips next year for a 2013 launch.

TheExodu5

Banned
OniShiro said:
Specs probably are not even closed yet, so who knows? until the final hardware is announced it can be slightly more powerful than PS3/360 or much more powerful.

That's my worry. If the hardware remains powerful enough to run those tech demos, then we're in for a treat...but who's to say that those demos were running on anything other than a high-spec PC at this point?

Cosmonaut X said:
The Vita/PS3 = WiiU thing needs to die - you're talking about a console and a handheld that need to be bought separately for a total cost of something like $500 versus a console with the controller packed-in for more likely somewhere around $300-350. Not to mention securing dev support for what with the Vita should be considered just a glorified peripheral.

As for "somehow" making 1080p and 60fps the standard? Really? And people already talk about how bad certain titles look on the PS3 versus the 360 - assuming the rumoured Wii U specs are true, I think you might see rather more of that in the future...

@Vita/PS3, people who follow Sony will have both, so why not include some functionality between them? You have the "advantage" that the Vita is a portable device, unlike the U controller. Some game features that would be "WiiU exclusive" can be easily implemented on a Vita/PS3 combo.
Should it be a must for all games? No.
Should it be a plus for most games? Yes.

@PS3/360, most of those comments are produced by the media (the famous PS3/360 comparison half to half screen) and repeated by fanboys to death. Sure, it will apply to multiplataform games. But PS3 only owners would be mad because the WiiU version is slightly superior visually? If that's the case, then I must say, people are stupid.

StuBurns

Banned
Shin Johnpv said:
o_O

so you're saying to give Nintendo even more time in establishing a user base and being the only Next Gen system on the block? Honestly I have no idea what you're saying at this point.

What I'm saying is that they have to design a system that's going to be hitting in 2013, they can't let Nintendo be the only ones on the block till 2014. So they have to lock down chips next year, clock speed, and shader cores, ram can change, but they need to pick chips next year for a 2013 launch.
You clearly never had any idea what I was saying. Why not go back and actually read posts before you quote them.

But I'll give you a hint, two years from now is 2013, not 2014.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
OniShiro said:
If the console really starts mass manufacturing in October I doubt there will be changes that dramatic made to the spec.
TheExodu5 said:
That's my worry. If the hardware remains powerful enough to run those tech demos, then we're in for a treat...but who's to say that those demos were running on anything other than a high-spec PC at this point?
And I think EAD know the ballpark of what the machine is capable of and targeted the Zelda tech-demo for it.
I firmly believe that it will be matched or surpassed by Wii U's Zelda.

StuBurns said:
You clearly never had any idea what I was saying. Why not go back and actually read posts before you quote them.

But I'll give you a hint, two years from now is 2013, not 2014.

By 2013 they're not going to be able to duct tape two Wii U's together and be miles ahead of the Wii U.

Daschysta

StuBurns said:

Keep in mind that to a certain extent, ESPECIALLY to the laiman user, we are reaching diminishing returns on investment in graphics based on hardware.

Take the nature tech demo, now that we've seen it in higher quality (even then it's still offscreen, and not streaming) it's gorgeous, and clearly beyond the PS360 machines. In order to get something that looks magnitudes better than that or even zelda, MASSIVELY better hardware, that runs MUCH hotter and is put into a HUGE box would be required. It's not impossible but there are some good points that suggest MS and Sony would be wise to avoid such an investment.

1. The companies are businesses, and both MS and Sony only recently just began making profit, even in 2013 a machine that would "kill" WiiU graphically (if the innards are remotely like they are rumoured to be) would be both incredibly expensive, while still, to the common eye have a smaller graphical leap than most average consumers are used to seeing in a console. Nintendo has the advantage of being such a monumental leap over wii hardware that it is incredibly impressive to wii-only users looking to upgrade, while still being a decent deal stronger than ps360, likely even an all-out machine would be about the same leap over wii-u that wii-u is over ps360. Wii-U is a legit half generational leap if it's power 7/ HD 4850/5770. Such a machine would certainly have to be sold at a hefty loss, and would be large and hot, and likely unreliable on the hardware front... A huge risk. Wii-U being above, but still not completely out of sight of PS360 and more expensive allows sony and Ms to continue this gen for as long as they would like, and recoup some of their losses before being pressured to release an all out next gen console.

2. PSVita is only being released at a loss because of the direction sony is moving in. They've already stated that they believe handhelds are the future, and looking at japanese sales they may not be wrong. Everything about PSvita is giving a true console experience, controls and all, in a portable machine. If they are taking a loss on this handheld it's because of it's vital position, which is, ikn their minds apparently above that of a next ps console. I doubt they take a loss on both, and if the PS vita isn't a sales monster then I REALLY don't think they take a loss or push the next playstation to a bleeding edge tech. The investors aren't dumb, they realize that it was the PS2 that reigned supreme, weak tech and all, when SCE was the most profitable.

By the same token Microsoft has gone all in with kinect, and are in a great position to sell their hardware cheaply, which appeals to the connect crowd. Their core consumers seem satisfied with 360 hardware as long as it has gears and halo. Heck they've even expressed their desire to extend this gen as long as possible, and undercutting their new consumers with newer, better hardware doesn't seem like a prudent financial move. Wii-U allows them to achieve their dream of extending the gen, and i'm sure that this was nintendo's plan.

Basically I doubt the next round of systems are out before 2014, giving wii-u a full year of graphical superiority, meaning new engines will be designed for it, engines, which in the name of financial viability will be upported to the next two systems unless nintendo massively screws up by gimping the rumoured hardware, which as I believe it to be, shuld be able to receive next gen multiplats, which i'm sure is at least in most ways nintendo's plan.

If ps720 comes out 2013 it will be an incremental leap if they come out 2014 the leap will be more significant, but the wii-u should already have a pretty massive userbase that publishers just won't be able to ignore.

DisenLedZep said:
@Vita/PS3, people who follow Sony will have both, so why not include some functionality between them? You have the "advantage" that the Vita is a portable device, unlike the U controller. Some game features that would be "WiiU exclusive" can be easily implemented on a Vita/PS3 combo.
Should it be a must for all games? No.
Should it be a plus for most games? Yes.

@PS3/360, most of those comments are produced by the media (the famous PS3/360 comparison half to half screen) and repeated by fanboys to death. Sure, it will apply to multiplataform games. But PS3 only owners would be mad because the WiiU version is slightly superior visually? If that's the case, then I must say, people are stupid.

If games actually utilize the new hardware of wii-u they should be noticeably better graphically.

If 3rd parties simply make straight ports of their games they'll be overshadowed by exclusives tapping the hardware and nintendo's own games. It's in their own interest to make wiiu the lead console and downport games or else their cutting off what could potentially be 1/3 of the market. I doubt publishers are keen to miss out on free money for two generations straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom