• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vigil: If Darksiders 2 sells 4-5 mil copies, [Updated with dev comments]

RedSwirl

How many games actually sell 4+ million anyway? The last games I heard of selling in the 4-5 million area were non-GTA Rockstar games like Red Dead Redemption and whatnot. Is that the level of popularity they're expecting for games like this and Dead Space 3?

I think as long as it sold more than Darksiders 1, they should be safe. it show that the series is still growing. if it sold less than DS1, then this ip is probably dead.

Forkball

Five years from now: If our game doesn't sell 12 million copies, our company will collapse and the developers will be forced to live in modern-day Hoovertowns.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
These sales targets are incredibly high. I'm not sure if it's because of Rubin's unrealistic expectations of if that's really the amount of copies every game has to sell nowadays.

If starting next generation games really have to sell 5 million copies to be considered a success, I can't see how the traditional games industry will survive. It's a sales bar that simply can't be reached by even a fraction of the released games -- it only can go down for many publishers and developers.

I'm pretty sure it's taking into account it's going to be a wii-u launch title as well. Which should give it a pretty healthy sells boost.

Selling over 4 platforms should help it

DieH@rd

Banned
These sales targets are incredibly high.

They are not, if they aim for 4-5 million coppies over the entire life of that game.If they manage 2-2.5 million in the first month of ps3/x360/pc sales, then they have a really good chance of going above 4 million over the next 2 years [cheaper copies + Wii U version].

Also, they are planning a full-force DLC support for this game.

Striek

If they sell well they will change the scope of their next sequel. Thats uhh... an interesting use of consumer feedback.

RedSwirl

According to that big Wiki list, they're asking for this to outsell an Uncharted game, a Gears of War game, etc.

DieH@rd

Banned
In this case, they certainly do not.

We're probably thinking first 6 months, at best.

First 6 monts on all of their platforms. We will know the fate of Darksiders franchise in the spring of 2013, after Wii U numbers arrive.

According to that big Wiki list, they're asking for this to outsell an Uncharted game, a Gears of War game, etc.

Both are one console exclusives.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If they sell well they will change the scope of their next sequel. Thats uhh... an interesting use of consumer feedback.

As it's been said before each game will feature a different horseman, speculation going now is that it will be strife. Big open multiquest hubs will not fit his play style and a more focused metroid style structure would be more fun

guit3457

I hope they reach those numbers. Hate to see THQ go under.

It seems that 2013 is going to be a good year for THQ:

- Company of Heroes 2
- Metro: Last Light
- South Park: The Stick of Truth

TBD:

- inSANE
- Homefornt 2
- Saints Row 4
- 1666 (?)

And they have to show Turtle Rock Studios’ FPS and Patrice Désilets’ Unannounced Title.

I wish they survive, They have great studios.

Derrick01

Banned
How many games actually sell 4+ million anyway?

Without sales or price drops over the course of a year or two? Not many any more. Especially this year where no one's buying games now.

I just need THQ to stay alive long enough to get South Park out. With targets like this and South Park needing 2 million just to break even THQ is going to die, but just let me play SP first.

smr00

Banned
Well yeah. If Darksiders 2 DOESNT sell that much, THQ won't be making much of anything
They are probably banking on WWE 13, not Darksiders.

It's pretty much guaranteed WWE 13 will hit at least 2 million, and with this focusing on the attitude era bringing in fans who haven't bought a WWE game since the early SD PS1/PS2 games or even the N64 stuff it will probably sell more.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Without sales or price drops over the course of a year or two? Not many any more. Especially this year where no one's buying games now.

I just need THQ to stay alive long enough to get South Park out. With targets like this and South Park needing 2 million just to break even THQ is going to die, but just let me play SP first.

also Metro.

Effect

In this case, they certainly do not.

We're probably thinking first 6 months, at best.

This also has to change. High numbers is one thing but to expect those numbers in the first few months is crazy. Companies should be prepared for the long term. Something that will sell consistently and not just drop off. If a game comes out in the holidays push it again come the spring. To many companies release games and then forget they exist a few months later when they could try to give them a second wind. Not talking DLC but the original game itself.

How many did the original sell?

Seems a hefty target TBH. Not sure it'll do that well but here's hoping, especially if it's as enjoyable as the original was. I'm not sure a Wii U version is going to sell great, coming 2/3 months after the other versions isn't going to help. It'll feel old and expensive by then.

I'll be doing my bit, but it's outta my hands after that :p

ShaneB

Sigh... another depressing news story of a company figuring it needs to sell so and so many millions to stay afloat.

Nice knowin ya Darksiders... but I'll keep some faith. Darksiders has had great legs because of all the sales. Hell I just double dipped.

At this point it seems like everyone owns a copy of Darksiders 1 with how often it goes on sale.

I'll be doing my part... but when the game is a bit cheaper, and I know there are preorder deals and whatnot, but I think I can wait until christmas maybe for a 50% discount. That being said, is it heresy to wonder if they'd be happy with it selling 4-5 million copies of it at 30$ a pop at launch, or have they decided they need to sell 4-5 million at 60$...

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Sell 5 million and we may let you make a cheap sequel. What a generation this has been.

Detox

Even if THQ dies I'm sure someone will pick the South Park game.

wrowa

They are not, if they aim for 4-5 million coppies over the entire life of that game.If they manage 2-2.5 million in the first month of ps3/x360/pc sales, then they have a really good chance of going above 4 million over the next 2 years [cheaper copies + Wii U version].

Also, they are planning a full-force DLC support for this game.

I quite frankly don't see how it's even possible for Darksiders 2 to sell 2-2.5 million copies first month. In the same time frame, THQ shipped merely 1.2 million copies of Darksiders 1 -- I really can't see the sequel doubling the first one's sales.

Especially considering that the market seems to be in the toilet right now anyway, with games such as Prototype 2 not even reaching the sales of their predecessors. Even high-budget games such as Max Payne 3 are selling rather modestly.

It would be interesting to know how many (digital) copies Darksiders sold on PC, though. It's been quite a popular "sale" game in the last two years.

El-Suave

So at best we'll end up with another Uncharted clone? Because that's what I think "reducing the scope" would lead to.

Sid

Sad news,i think the wiiu port won't do much good either since it's a late port and the majority who want to buy this game most likely already have at least a ps3,360 or a pc

iNvid02

im only interested in the standard game, dont care for season passes etc

hmm, it being a steamworks title maybe i can buy directly from THQ and support them a bit more?

oh they have THQshop where they dont give away a 30% cut, and there are no packaging/shipping costs for selling downloads!

maybe they priced it competitively with retail and other digital stores!? if it were cheaper than other digital stores and around the same price as retail i would get it directly from THQ

they could make more money per sale than steam and much more than retail!

oh wait, this is all they have

awh2J.png

HoosTrax

Serious question, is 4-5 million unreasonable? I mean Portal 2, which is part of kind of a niche puzzle platformer genre, sold 4 mil in about a year. Shouldn't Darksiders have more of a...bro...appeal?

Flatline

Banned
It's not fair. The only generation I'm interested in THQ games and the damn company is fucking dying. I sometimes hate this industry.

Meier

First game was a blast and Vigil is here in Austin.. hopeful it works out for them. I rarely buy games at launch these days with only a few exceptions per year so I don't think I'll be helping out within their window but I hope enough folks do!

web01

That is a ridiculously target, I cannot see this happening at all.
You need phenomenal hype behind a game for those type of sales numbers.
I think they would be lucky to get 1.5 million.

Derrick01

Banned
Serious question, is 4-5 million unreasonable? I mean Portal 2, which is part of kind of a niche puzzle platformer genre, sold 4 mil in about a year. Shouldn't Darksiders have more of a...bro...appeal?

Portal 2 was price slashed heavily pretty quickly, especially on Steam.

LTWood12

Not only is 4 or 5 million ridiculous, but even more so when you consider that most companies expect the goal to be met in the first six or so weeks. Calling 3 million sales a failure means you need a new accounting/finance department. Cost accounting guys.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Nope Portal has a hipster/gamer apeal to it.

Darksiders pretty much only has a gamer thing going for it

Geoff9920

I imagine having the game available on day one of the Wii U launch could really help them on sales, but 4-5 is a rather lofty goal.

wrowa

Don't underestimate Portal's appeal. It pretty much became part of the "nerd pop culture". Darksiders can only dream of that.

TriGen

I think DS2 could get to 4M, it's not impossible. There isn't any competition during it's release time and didn't a recent study show this being one of the most anticapated games of the year? If this was coming out in November it would be screwed but I could see it posting big numbers quickly.

Everybody throws around Zelda comparison's, well Skyward Sword sold 3.42M copies in it's first month, was exclusive to one console, it required a controller not everyone had (Wiimotion+), and it released at a time when it's platform was dieing, with it's successor already announced. I know people will think it's crazy to compare DS2 to Zelda, (even though people do it all the time) but when you factor in the positives that it has right now and look at the things going against the last Zelda game I could see DS2 doing near first month SS numbers, and if it can sell 3M in it's first month, with a Wii U version coming later in the year as well it should get to 4M.

AHA-Lambda

Unfortunately that number, though depressing, is hardly a big surprise after EA wants 5m copies for DS3.

I'm sure it needs 2-3m copies to break even after all so 4-5m means they've made a healthy bit of profit on it.

Btw, didn't the first darksiders not even break even? =s

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think DS2 could get to 4M, it's not impossible. There isn't any competition during it's release time and didn't a recent study show this being one of the most anticapated games of the year? If this was coming out in November it would be screwed but I could see it posting big numbers quickly.

Everybody throws around Zelda comparison's, well Skyward Sword sold 3.42M copies in it's first month, was exclusive to one console, it required a controller not everyone had (Wiimotion+), and it released at a time when it's platform was dieing, with it's successor already announced. I know people will think it's crazy to compare DS2 to Zelda, (even though people do it all the time) but when you factor in the positives that it has right now and look at the things going against the last Zelda game I could see DS2 doing near first month SS numbers, and if it can sell 3M in it's first month, with a Wii U version coming later in the year as well it should get to 4M.

That's fucking zelda, you could put zelda on poop and it would sell.

When people compare the game they mean in gameplay aspects not in brand name recognition.

Top Bottom