• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vigil in 2012: Wii U "has been on par with what we have with the current generation"

zoukka

I'm not talking about 5 tablets.
I'm talking about 5 players.
How can the party scene be dead when they actually support more people playing at once?

Well to me that's like the Wii supporting only one mote and your friends play with gamecube controllers. What's the point of having this great controller when only one player can enjoy its benefits at a time... To me that would be lame.

If an entire playable game used looked like this with these techniques, yeah I would be impressed. But I wouldn't be surprised seeing that tech demo running on the 360/ps3.

That said, this quote may simply be their excuse for not spending the time to up-res the game. The way it reads isn't super definitive, so I don't think this 100% means the Wii-U isn't packing a bit of a punch. Even so, at this point Im not expecting too much.
Besides the lighting, the reason the Zelda demo looks so good is because of the beautiful animation. No way they have anything that good for actual games.

What does "has been on par" even mean? Isn't "par" subjective? Does this mean features, lighting, shader capabilities or polygon output and pixel fillrate. Is it a reference, concerning the entire package? Isn't DS2 being published by a company on its way out, they can't afford to atleast increase texture resolution.

fernoca

Nearly 900 replies about something that is been taken out of context; and the same development team has been saying the same since last year (take advantage of the controller, port the game and if there's time and resources up some other things).

And anyone that follows the "speculation thread" should know that the controllers takes a chunk of power, maybe the (small) team that Vigil working on this is doing multiple things with it (they've mentioned swapping items in the fly only so far which depending on what the screen shows,I guess); which results in technically games as good as current gen games.

Another thing that some seem to forget is that: 1st gen Wii U games = 5-6th gen 360/PS3 games.

Remember the 360-launch with Gun and a few other games that technically looked like Xbox games at hi-res, with better textures? Things can only go up from here.

Yet, some act as if the Wii U is getting games that look like Xbox 360 launch games back in 2005.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
someone needs to find that wii u is 2x more powerful and x720 is 8x powerful thread. lol

And he said it would be difficult, like the situation we currently have, to port stuff to the WiiU after the next consoles come out.

Sounds to me like more powerful while still being stuck a gen behind. Look forward to the alternate translation that I'm sure is coming.

If MS & Sony have a similar philosophy to this gen, then that is likely ( I do like how you keep talking about things that don't have any information in the public domain, when all I have been referring to is the current gen), but given the recent quotes regarding Apple I would think one of them is dragging their feet.

Nearly 900 replies about something that is been taken out of context; and the same development team has been saying the same since last year (take advantage of the controller, port the game and if there's time and resources up some other things).

And anyone that follows the "speculation thread" should know that the controllers takes a chunk of power, maybe the (small) team that Vigil working on this is doing multiple things with it (they've mentioned swapping items in the fly only so far which depending on what the screen shows,I guess); which results in technically games as good as current gen games.

Another thing that some seem to forget is that: 1st gen Wii U games = 5-6th gen 360/PS3 games.

Remember the 360-launch with Gun and a few other games that technically looked like Xbox games at hi-res, with better textures? Things can only go up from here.

Yet, some act as if the Wii U is getting games that look like Xbox 360 launch games back in 2005.

Please tell me how this was taken out of context? I've read it and it seems clear as day to me.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
You know, whether or not the Wii U is more or less powerful than any particular person thinks, is anyone else annoyed by the implication that innovation is a less desirable thing?

Me. I'm annoyed by it. I like new things that push the medium forward, and they don't have to involve raw processing power either. :mad:

Ugh...at this point I think we can just start cutting and pasting post from before Wii launch.

Cripes sake people it doesn't take an industry person to know how this is going to end up, just someone NOT caught up in nin-hype with even a vague recollection of every Nintendo console released and how Nintendo plays the game.

1) Nintendo has NEVER tried to compete exclusively in the graphics dept.

I don't understand how that can be claimed 'with even a vague recollection of every nintendo console released' unless people are actually oblivious to the historic state of the market in terms of graphical hardware that the NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube were all - at the very least - competitive graphically released into.

Unless your point is as it literally reads, in which case NOBODY making a games console has ever competed exclusively in the graphics department.
Which is a sort of meaningless truism to apply when discussing videogames.
You might as well say nobody has ever competed exclusively on audio fidelity, or on the colour of their controllers.

5) wii U will not be getting faithful multi plat ports of next gen games. You are fooling yourself if you believe otherwise. It is the wii all over again. You buy a Nintendo console to play Nintendo games.

I agree that Nintendo games are the strongest motivator to buy a nintendo console, but I don't see how the first statement is in any way a given.

Would you have told people looking for 'faithful multiplat ports' on a ps2 they were fooling themselves?

What does "has been on par" even mean? Isn't "par" subjective? Does this mean features, lighting, shader capabilities or polygon output and pixel fillrate. Is it a reference, concerning the entire package? Isn't DS2 being published by a company on its way out, they can't afford to atleast increase texture resolution.

It means more or less the same, like ps3 and 360. On the slightly more side with wii u.

Very disappointing if it can't even do this gen's games in 1080P. Doesn't bode well for being very friendly for multi-platform title like the 360 and PS3 were, which is something Nintendo could have focused on this time around. I haven't really kept up much with how console development is going now, but if current gen vs. last gen development still has a large difference in cost that many companies offset by putting titles across two platforms, I wonder if Wii U will still have a chance to have more third party titles than the Wii did. I would hope that downporting from PS4 / the next Xbox will be significantly easier than the same process from PS3/360 to Wii, though.

Wolfie5

So what happened here

1egfo5.png

sp3000

I trust the opinion of a developer more than the legion of Nintendo fans on this forum who want the Wii U to be something it isn't.

Grymm

Banned
It's Wii all over again.

A stop gap system that will mostly appeal because of 1st party Nintendo support.

If you're fine buying a console that is at the bottom of the pile of its generations systems because it has a Mario game, then good for you.

If you're a more discriminating consumer with standards who expects more than that then you'll pass on WiiU.

I've known since the e3 reveal I'd be passing. But I'm sure it will do well.
In Japan.

My biggest gripe though is people comparing it to 360 and PS3. It's not supposed to be a current gen system. It's supposed to be a next gen one. And even without hard specs on the 720 and PS4 it's safe to say this WiiU thing isn't in the same league.

kingkaiser

So, ehh Pachter was wrong again? You know, that statement about Nintendo "dreamcasting" themselves...well as far as i remember the Dreamcast was a great technical leap compared to the PSone and N64...

Jonm1010

Banned

In fairness kameo and project Gotham looked better than anything last gen. Even perfect dark zero had some decent moments and looked better than anything last gen.

Though I get your overall point.

fernoca

Please tell me how this was taken out of context? I've read it and it seems clear as day to me.
Developer says "on part current gen" = "OMG Wii U is the same as Xbox 360, not powerful enough".

Read the rest of the post.:p

Here's a developer that has been working for years on Xbox 360/PS3 hardware, making a game that looks like Darksiders 2 in 2012, as a Wii U launch game... that looks like a 2012 game.

Now if they were making Darksiders 2 on Wii U in 2015 and it looked like now; yeah agree..but as a launch game "on par" is not the weakness many are making it out to be.

In fairness kameo and project Gotham looked better than anything last gen. Even perfect dark zero had some decent moments and looked better than anything last gen.

Though I get your overall point.

There's that and the "Rare touch"... :p.....and those were games that were technically ported from Gamecube, to Xbox, to Xbox 360.
Then compare that, to Viva Piñata and Banjo and there's a big difference in visual-quality too; is not like those 2 games looked like or worse than their launch games.

Grymm

Banned
So, ehh Pachter was wrong again? You know, that statement about Nintendo "dreamcasting" themselves...well as far as i remember the Dreamcast was a great technical leap compared to the PSone and N64...

How was it compared to the PS2, GameCube, and XBox though? You know, the actual generation of systems it was competing against.

Developer says "on party current gen" = "OMG Wii U is the same as Xbox 360, not powerful enough".

Read the rest of the post.

Here's a developer that has been working for years on Xbox 360/PS3 hardware, making a game that looks like Darksiders 2 in 2012, as a Wii U launch game... that looks like a 2012 game.

Now if they were making Darksiders2 on Wii U in 2015 and it looked like now; yeah agree..but as a launch game "on par" is not the weakness many are making it out to be.

He said the "wii u hardware is on par with current gen", not the different game versions. It sounds like you're the one taking it out of context.

It's Wii all over again.

A stop gap system that will mostly appeal because of 1st party Nintendo support.

If you're fine buying a console that is at the bottom of the pile of its generations systems because it has a Mario game, then good for you.

If you're a more discriminating consumer with standards who expects more than that then you'll pass on WiiU.

I've known since the e3 reveal I'd be passing. But I'm sure it will do well.
In Japan.

My biggest gripe though is people comparing it to 360 and PS3. It's not supposed to be a current gen system. It's supposed to be a next gen one. And even without hard specs on the 720 and PS4 it's safe to say this WiiU thing isn't in the same league.

Lol Nintendo fans have no standards. :-/

So much salt in this thread. Were people really expecting the WiiU to be closer to PS4/Durango than the previous gen? You guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment.

Vigils Technical Director has been quoted as saying the Wii U is "more powerful than Current gen", Epic have said "beyond current gen" & I believe Gearbox claimed that Aliens will be higher res on Wii U.

Something can be more powerful and more advanced but still be on par. They don't' necessarily contradict each other. It's very possible WiiU will be more advanced than current gen hardware, but still far behind PS4 and Xbox720.

Vigils Technical Director has been quoted as saying the Wii U is "more powerful than Current gen", Epic have said "beyond current gen" & I believe Gearbox claimed that Aliens will be higher res on Wii U.

None of those statements contradict the OP. There have been plenty of developers on record saying the ps3 is stronger than the 360, and vice versa. Who's going to argue the two systems aren't on par, besides the most deluded fanboys?

fernoca

He said the "wii u hardware is on par with current gen", not the different game versions. It sounds like you're the one taking it out of context.
What different game versions?
I'm talking about how some took "on part with current gen" as if it's the same or worse than 2005-Xbox 360 launch.

Any "big" difference in hardware, won't be known until a few years, when we compare games made for it and games fully made for it.

With 1st gen hardware and early dev kits, they've technically admitted to been able to port Darkiders 2 "as is" with extra controls. If in 2-3 years they're not able to do much more than that, that's another thing.

Comb through the thread and you'll see them

You don't seem to understand. Epic and Ubi quotes state it's more powerful, but they don't contradict the OP like you alluded to. The question about it being more powerful than current gen isn't what we're arguing about.

None of those statements contradict the OP. There have been plenty of developers on record saying the ps3 is stronger than the 360, and vice versa. Who's going to argue the two systems aren't on par, besides the most deluded fanboys?
This

NewFresh

It's Wii all over again.

It's pretty presumptuous of you to call people who buy this impartial (With the implication of being"bad") consumers. As someone who is looking forward to the WiiU, regardless of graphical limitations, I hope to aspire to your high minded, proper consumer standards.

magash

You don't seem to understand. Epic and Ubi quotes state it's more powerful, but they don't contradict the OP like you alluded to. The question about it being more powerful than current gen isn't what we're arguing about.

This

At what point in time does "on par" start becoming "more powerful"? The PSVITA is "on par" with the PS3 yet the PS3 is most definitely stronger than the PSVITA

Top Bottom