• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vigil in 2012: Wii U "has been on par with what we have with the current generation"

KingJ2002

The game director of Darksiders 2 has shared their assessment of the Wii U's hardware in a recent video interview with GameReactor.

I thought people would be interested so I made a transcript (with the "uh's" and "um's" removed for readability).

Transcript of video:

Source: http://www.gamereactor.se/nyheter/43021/GRTV:+Darksiders+II-intervju/

I have to head out for a while, but I'll be back later in the day.

hmmm... to be honest.

this doesn't bother me... this gen's still has games which are jaw dropping and if the Wii U can deliver this all while providing a one of a kind experience... im sold.

then again... i really look forward to Nintendo's games... and playing a HD Zelda or Mario title... it's a must have for me.

Dicer

Banned
The mod triple threat at the start of this thread make me leery of the whole business...anyone taking this "information" as stock before e3 is just being silly.

Medalion

Banned
E3 is gonna be interesting either way

The usual meltdowns, with the people picking sides of whether to look to the brightside or bash this thing to hell and back

No inbetweensies

Medalion

Banned
All of a sudden 360 and PS3 hardware is not good enough, then what the hell are you guys playing on right now? A few months down the road and it suddenly becomes obsolete

btkadams

All of a sudden 360 and PS3 hardware is not good enough, then what the hell are you guys playing on right now? A few months down the road and it suddenly becomes obsolete

haven't people been bitching about the performance limits of 360/ps3 since crysis came out? i'm fine with ps3/360 level graphics, but i get annoyed by the amount of games that come out these days with poor framerate and sub-res.

haven't people been bitching about the performance limits of 360/ps3 since crysis came out? i'm fine with ps3/360 level graphics, but i get annoyed by the amount of games that come out these days with poor framerate and sub-res.

Those are basically my thoughts on this generation exactly. Games from Rockstar and titles based on UE on my PS3 leave a lot to be desired to be honest

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I haven't been keeping up with this fast-moving thread, but has Marvin Donald (Vigil) come out and apologized yet?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

it's a slow burn - the X360 is 6 years old , there's a level of generation fatigue for people who jumped in on day one. It's not like the games on current of past gen suddenly become obsolete there's just a new rush of excitement that comes with a new platform.

For multiplatform gamers there's the excitement of having HD Nintendo games at last, but the -tech up- excitement for those people is going to be far less than Nintendo only players going from Wii to Wii U.

I just don't get that mindset. It seems that would limit you to strictly games with human characters and then essentially FPS (because the viewpoint being third person isn't as "immersive" by it's nature). Heck, in the last few years there have been great games that are much more graphically simple that wouldn't meet these criteria. World of Goo for example, or VVVVVV. It seems wayyyyyyyyyy too limiting.

Some GAFers, and I'm not picking on Juice here specifically but just in general terms remind me of the Korean Star Craft leagues after Star Craft 2 was released. Most gamers I think have enjoyed SC2 but in Korea Star Craft is big business so the original game is still perferred, particularly in tournament play. Some GAFers seem to be of the same mindset with gaming, that games must fit a certain mold, or be designed a particular way, or use a particular interface to be "acceptable" or "real" games or "modern" or "non-casual" and I find the attitude very frustrating to be honest.

It is mind blowing to me that the gaming community is so passive about Sony keeping essentially the same controller in form and function as the original PlayStation had. Yes I know each iteration has tweaked it, adding rumble, six axis, etc but who are we kidding? It's the same damn thing.

Gamers should be at the fore front in encouraging companies to be bold and cutting edge in their design choices, not merely what is under the hood. Gamers should be open to new ways of playing and new concepts and even new takes on old concepts rather than sticking with design choices that are comfortable and familiar and rewarding companies for regurgitating the same experience. I think that's something some people miss. Although Nintendo has it's core franchises the experience can be radically different from game to game based on new possibilities with different control schemes.

I don't mind Sony's controller staying the same because I still believe symmetry allows for more flexibility. Also, while it might not be "what's under the hood" that only counts, but Sony has consistently pushed more and more of their 1st party to do things outside the box. I don't even see Nintendo do that anymore.

Medalion

Banned
it's a slow burn - the X360 is 6 years old , there's a level of generation fatigue for people who jumped in on day one. It's not like the games on current of past gen suddenly become obsolete there's just a new rush of excitement that comes with a new platform.

For multiplatform gamers there's the excitement of having HD Nintendo games at last, but the -tech up- excitement for those people is going to be far less than Nintendo only players going from Wii to Wii U.
Pretty much... the leap from SD to HD is huge, but from HD to better HD... diminishing returns

The usual meltdowns, with the people picking sides of whether to look to the brightside or bash this thing to hell and back

No inbetweensies

Eh, I find it all interesting, but I've never been either a Nintendo fan or a Nintendo hater so I'm not invested in this. I couldn't care less about what Nintendo does next or how they do, I'm fine either way.

I haven't been keeping up with this fast-moving thread, but has Marvin Donald (Vigil) come out and apologized yet?

He's still treating his foot.

Nilaul

"but visually it will be pretty much the same"

"so far the hardware has been on par with what we have on current generations"

"based on what I understand.. the resolution, poly-counts and all that stuff were not going to be doing anything to up res the game"

So those are pretty much exact quotes. The last quote implays there is extra power but they arnt going to use it. The 2nd one is the opposite. Uh.. I think i might just skip the Wii U, unless proven otherwise.

FyreWulff

shh don't disturb the circular logic of the Wii U being a 360+ being "shit" yet the 360/PS3 are fine right now, even though people have no idea if MS or Sony are actually going to make a huge leap forward or try to execute a Wii strategy where they go for 1.5x.

There's also the fact that first party Wii U games will not be held back by the 360's small DVD. Third party developers will have two platforms now (PS3 and Wii U) with Blu-ray sized discs, which means they can start justifying using the space on those two platforms since they'll now get more bang for the buck. So don't be surprised if you see the PS3 benefit from the Wii U's existence.

So many third party games right now are essentially held back by the 360's small DVD.

Hoo-doo

Banned
shh don't disturb the circular logic of the Wii U being a 360+ being "shit" yet the 360/PS3 are fine right now, even though people have no idea if MS or Sony are actually going to make a huge leap forward or try to execute a Wii strategy where they go for 1.5x.

There's also the fact that first party Wii U games will not be held back by the 360's small DVD. Third party developers will have two platforms now (PS3 and Wii U) with Blu-ray sized discs, which means they can start justifying using the space on those two platforms since they'll now get more bang for the buck. So don't be surprised if you see the PS3 benefit from the Wii U's existence.

So many third party games right now are essentially held back by the 360's small DVD.

Well, according to the "industry insider" in the WiiU thread, Microsoft is going all-out on hardware.

They asked publishers and developers what they need in a next-gen system

EA, Activision, DICE, and Epic all insisted on raising the ceiling by what we would traditionally consider a generational leap.

Microsoft listened because they were told this would increase game sales and hardware adoption.

The next gen is shaping up to be quite interesting. I'm looking forward to E3.

It's not "all of a sudden", for the last two years people have been saying it's time for an update and the longer it's stretched out the more vocal people get.

And to answer your question, a PC ;)

SmokyDave

Not surprised. The small case makes it obvious that there's no powerhouse hiding inside.

Right now I'm playing PC. As for the consoles, It's not 'all of a sudden', people have been calling out for a refresh for months now. This is a next-gen console we're talking about, it will still be 'on the shelves' in 2017.

confused

Banned

No, it was fine for current-gen, but when talking NEXT-GEN it's not quite as exciting anymore.

I wouldn't mind past gen hardware in Nintendo systems if they weren't priced like a current gen machines.

Wii selling for 250 euros when Xbox arcade was cheaper and PS3 costed 300 was sad joke.

A photorealistic game can be achieved with lots of ram (high res textures) and good shaders, everything else would just take 2nd place.

No it can't. Stuff rendered in maxwell-render isn't even close to photorealistic and that render is to demanding to use even in movies. How the hell could a game engine achieve that?

manzo

I'm fine with the graphical quality with 360 and PS3, but jeesus christ the image quality is horrible - at least for us playing on a projector.

That's the only thing which makes PC's better right now, is the super clean look of 1080p with 4xAA and 16xAF.

confused

Banned
I'm fine with the graphical quality with 360 and PS3, but jeesus christ the image quality is horrible - at least for us playing on a projector.

That's the only thing which makes PC's better right now, is the super clean look of 1080p with 4xAA and 16xAF.

This should at least get better with next -gen considering these can be achieved almost for free (memory-wise) now. At least I should hope so.

Shion

360 and PS3 are aged hardware.

They're still fine for now, they won't be fine for another 5-6 years.
That was always the case with every generation before this, and it's not going to change now.

Maxrunner

I wouldn't mind past gen hardware in Nintendo systems if they weren't priced like a current gen machines.

Wii selling for 250 euros when Xbox arcade was cheaper and PS3 costed 300 was sad joke.

ahah what planet was that on???Not here in Portugal i assure you....ps3 games cost 69€....cant wait for ps4/720 game prices....

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I really don't care about this if it's true. I'd be happy playing games that look like FFXII on the PS2. I can live with 5 years of slightly-better-than 360 graphics.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
If I'm investing money in a console, I sure hope it's more powerful than what I have now. Otherwise, the Wii U will have the worst looking third party games next generation. At least it's better than making watered down specially designed ports that the Wii got (Call of Duty, Madden, etc).

Yes, it will still have Nintendo 1st party games, and those in HD, even by current gen standards, will be wonderful. But the system will then be starved for content in between these releases, so it will once again be a supplemental system, like the Wii is to a PS3 or 360 this gen.

I'd like to see a Nintendo console be possible as a sole system, but it hasn't been that way since...well, SNES maybe? The Genesis was great but you could game on an SNES only and be content.

Tell me about it. I played Fragile on Wii for the first time this year and that game looks sublime. Art direction really is king when it comes to making games look good.

I'm right there with you.

I will admit that Wii tech did hinder the games somewhat.

Looking at Dolphin shots shows how much just a higher resolution and AA can do for that era of games.

yeah Anti Aliassing needs to improve. A LOT.
I sincerely doubt Nintendo even knows that there are things we call jaggies (since they don't seem to bother them in any way). So my hopes on them tackling this issue are low.

I must admit I am somewhat surprised to see so many people vehemently declaring just how integrally important the power of their gaming machine is to their overall gaming experience.

I'm surprised, because it doesn't seem to be folks who post in PC threads.

I mean, it would be pretty hypocritical to be openly lambasting a consoles entire library as shit because its computational power is inadequate while playing on 5 year plus old hardware and ignoring the leaps that have occurred in that period, right?

*golf clap*

Busty

Banned
The mod triple threat at the start of this thread make me leery of the whole business...anyone taking this "information" as stock before e3 is just being silly.

Let me guess...., is this a case of "Who are you going to believe? Me or your lying eyes?" because it sure sounds that way.

The usual meltdowns, with the people picking sides of whether to look to the brightside or bash this thing to hell and back.

Personally I'm thinking that the thread for the WiiU port of Arkham City is going to be the highlight of this year's E3 here on GAF.

I think that's were most people are going to be making their 'last stand' and/or having total break downs when it's finally shown off.

You heard it here first folks.

The WiiU Arkham City thread is going to be a classic.

Derrick01

Banned

All of a sudden? It's 6-7 year old hardware! And diminishing returns just because it's slightly more HD? You can't seriously tell me BF3 maxed on PC is only slightly better looking than 360, or that Samaritan only looks a bit better than what we have now.

SmokyDave

*golf clap*

That's great and all, but perhaps some people just don't post in PC gaming threads much?

I mean, I have a nice gaming rig that slaps both the 'HD' consoles around but I can't think of a PC-specific thread that I've posted in outside of the Steam topic.

Edit: Except The Witcher 2. And the racing sims topic.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Personally I'm thinking that the thread for the WiiU port of Arkham City is going to be the highlight of this year's E3 here on GAF.

I think that's were most people are going to be making their 'last stand' and/or having total break downs when it's finally shown off.

You heard it here first folks.

The WiiU Arkham City thread is going to be a classic.

I prefer to judge the possibility of a console basing my idea on a game developed exclusively and from ground zero for that console, not on a late port :\

Busty

Banned
I prefer to judge the possibility of a console basing my idea on a game developed exclusively and from ground zero for that console, not on a late port :\

That's exactly the reason that game's thread is going to be a classic. Of course the saner/calmer heads will point out that it's launch window game (I assume) and as such shouldn't be taken as representative of the system's performance.

Of course they will be in the minority and the thread will be awash with comparisons of the PC, PS360 and WiiU versions.

I strongly disagree with the niche sentiment of technological advancement.

I mean, this is neogaf, but people are way too douchey about wanting to move forward. I'll be quite happy with what I've got for at least another few years and if Wii U is a little better than the current gen at a decent cost, I'll definitely go for it once I'm convinced of the control benefits.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
That's exactly the reason that game's thread is going to be a classic. Of course the saner/calmer heads will point out that it's launch window game (I assume) and as such shouldn't be taken as representative of the system's performance.

Of course they will be in the minority and the thread will be awash with comparisons of the PC, PS360 and WiiU versions.

Um - it's a port of an old game already released on other platforms , what else is going to happen?

I mean, this is neogaf, but people are way too douchey about wanting to move forward. I'll be quite happy with what I've got for at least another few years and if Wii U is a little better than the current gen at a decent cost, I'll definitely go for it once I'm convinces of the control benefits.

.... i don't know if this is serious or not but.... really???

UberTag

I'd like to see a Nintendo console be possible as a sole system, but it hasn't been that way since...well, SNES maybe? The Genesis was great but you could game on an SNES only and be content.
Nintendo isn't exactly suffering financially with this "supplemental system" approach now, are they? Sure, the last time it could qualify as a one-stop shop for everything great in gaming was the SNES days but why should we expect them to WANT to be that again?

Even during the Gamecube era where they could rightfully claim to offer the best looking/exclusive third-party versions of a number of Japanese-developed titles (i.e. RE4), they were still for all intents and purposes considered to be a "supplemental system".

Nintendo could release an "on par with PS3/X360" HD console for an affordable price that will be outclassed in 1-2 years and rendered obsolete as a third-party alternative and it won't even matter. Why? Because they'll have a sick install base. They'll have their AAA first-party Nintendo titles in HD. They'll have a small handful of "best version" Japanese exclusives during the two years the playing field was levelled. And they'll have offered an affordable system upgrade path for current Wii/X360 owners... for a profit.

Nintendo is never going to be Sony. And given the financial state of both companies we shouldn't hold them to that standard.

Um - it's a port of an old game already released on other platforms , what else is going to happen?
Some people with misplaced expectations are going to expect Arkham City to be something more than a competent port with a co-op/tablet gimmick.

Word

I bought Shadowman for my N64 just a few weeks ago :p

Dreamcast version is the definitive console version in my experience. Some strange (but minor) changes were made in the N64 port.

That's great and all, but perhaps some people just don't post in PC gaming threads much?

I mean, I have a nice gaming rig that slaps both the 'HD' consoles around but I can't think of a PC-specific thread that I've posted in outside of the Steam topic.

Edit: Except The Witcher 2. And the racing sims topic.

Either you've missed the point of the post I quoted or you're being facetious.

"but visually it will be pretty much the same"

"so far the hardware has been on par with what we have on current generations"

"based on what I understand.. the resolution, poly-counts and all that stuff were not going to be doing anything to up res the game"

So those are pretty much exact quotes. The last quote implays there is extra power but they arnt going to use it. The 2nd one is the opposite. Uh.. I think i might just skip the Wii U, unless proven otherwise.
What i get from those quotes are.The dev kits we have are on par with the current gen systems.We know that the final hardware is going to be more powerful,and when we get those more powerful kits in we aren't or maybe won't have the time to make the game prettier.

Onemic

Not surprised. Especially given the wiiu's tech demo last year that looked around the same as PS360's tech demos. I'm thinking it will be akin to the wii in how it's a suped up version of the previous generations consoles.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

As Ryo would say: "I see..."

I agree with you.

The former, I reckon. I must have missed the point.

Well, it was taken out of context.

MrNyarlathotep was saying it's absurd to be hung up on console specs to the point that you can't enjoy games on less powerful hardware. Console specs are obsolete a few years after they're released, so why aren't people like Juice gaming exclusively on PCs if they must have the best at minimum? Why touch consoles at all? Why be happy with handhelds when they're always going to be delivering sub-console experiences? Etc. All of which proves it's a matter of perception, not of higher, uncompromising standards.

Some gamers love games. Other love to be dazzled first and foremost, and if they can't be dazzled, they won't play. Different strokes and all that, but that's a little silly.

I'm glad I don't have those kinds of hang-ups. Sounds like a real burden.

Top Bottom