• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vinyl - HBO on the 1970s music business in NY [update: Canceled by HBO]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KooopaKid

Banned
Couldn't finish the pilot. It's not grabbing me. I didn't see any sympathetic characters. I just don't care if they find the next talent and save their label.

- Deadline: ‘Vinyl’ Canceled: No Season 2 For HBO Drama Series
HBO has changed course on Vinyl. The 1970s rock n roll drama had been renewed for a second season with a new showrunner, Scott Z. Burns, replacing co-creator, executive producer and showrunner Terence Winter. Now the premium cable network has decided not to go with Season 2 of the series, executive produced by Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger.

“After careful consideration, we have decided not to proceed with a second season of Vinyl,” HBO said in a statement. “Obviously, this was not an easy decision. We have enormous respect for the creative team and cast for their hard work and passion on this project.

Cancellation was not based on the work of the new Vinyl creative team of Burns and executive producer Max Borenstein as no scripts for Season 2 had been delivered.

Vinyl has been a disappointment, a big-budget series from A-list auspices that had underperformed. “Vinyl didn’t launch in the way we were hoping it would; it’s disappointing, but it happens,” HBO’s outgoing head of programming Michael Lombardo told deadline last month.

The decision not to continue with Vinyl comes as HBO’s new programming chief Casey Bloys is settling into the job. It will free up resources and help him put his stamp on HBO’s drama output more quickly.

Sanjuro

kbd6uze.gif

So long, Vinyl.

Viewt

Not surprised to hear it got canceled. My girlfriend and I gave up on it after three episodes. I just couldn't find anything to latch onto that felt vital in the way Boardwalk Empire was. Hopefully his next show will come together a little better.

I'm mostly just sad for Bobby Cannavale, because he absolutely deserves to lead a show. This just wasn't the one.

EDIT: Am I in the minority for loving the way Boardwalk Empire wrapped up? I honestly thought it was a massive improvement over Season 4.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Show was okay but probably wasn't worth it for the money they were pumping into it.

Dug the music and atmosphere but not much else.

BTails

Damn, I actually really enjoyed Vinyl, especially as things heated up near the end of the season. Then again, I also enjoyed the Newsroom so what do I know?

HBO cancellations always hurt, though nothing will ever match the agony of Rome being axed.

Sanjuro

EDIT: Am I in the minority for loving the way Boardwalk Empire wrapped up? I honestly thought it was a massive improvement over Season 4.

Yup. I don't think the Boardwalk Empire final season was...bad, but you could certainly tell they were going through the motions. It worked because it had an incredible cast that could maneuver with less.

I knew the thread bump was a cancellation. HBO using the money saved here to pay the GoT cast?

I don't even know what they do with their money right now. This isn't the HBO I remember.

ezekial45

Banned
What a waste. The show found its way towards the end, but it just didn't work as well as it could have.

I'm still PISSED Boardwalk Empire ended with such a condescend season so he could jump to this show. It had great episodes, but the show should've at least had a full season.

Oh wow, surprised they let it go when they don't have too many other hour long drama programs at the moment.

I never watched it, but did the season have a complete story told or was it a whole bunch of setup for season 2 and on? I usually wait until shows are finished before starting them and since this is canceled, guess it is finished.

Oh wow, surprised they let it go when they don't have too many other hour long drama programs at the moment.

I never watched it, but did the season have a complete story told or was it a whole bunch of setup for season 2 and on? I usually wait until shows are finished before starting them and since this is canceled, guess it is finished.

I wouldn't recommend jumping in. Season 1 was mostly setup for a payoff that will never come now. This is disappointing, but expected. Bobby Canavale is a fucking great lead though. Killed it in Boardwalk and killed it here IMO.

Honestly, I feel like Mick Jagger and the music director were a mistake here. Not necessarily the music choices, but the little interludes sprinkled throughout EVERY FUCKING EPISODE started to grate on me. Like, stop the episode and have someone singing a song that is entirely unrelated to what was unfolding on screen interludes.

So I have no investment in this show at all, but with this news I can't help but wonder: doesn't HBO worry how these reversals impact the confidence of the viewers? Like what is the point of the early renewal for a show like this when it doesn't actually mean the show is definitely coming back?

This isn't the first time they've done this, either. If I were HBO I would stop doing the early renewal announcements altogether for shows in their first season. As a viewer, this is the last time I take that renewal at face value. It is completely meaningless now. If they announce a couple of weeks into Westworld that the show has been renewed it isn't going to mean a damn thing.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The first episode was okay at best and it didn't have any engaging characters, I'm not surprised it got canceled. Pretty sure the only thing Vinyl will be remembered for is that naked gif of Olivia Wilde.

Eyeron

Save us, David Simon. Love me some dramas set in the 60s and 70s. So much historical context. Some of my favorite moments in Mad Men involved the characters reacting to real world events like the Kennedy assassination, moon landing, etc. Aside from the music, Vinyl felt lacking in that regard to me.

El Topo

So I have no investment in this show at all, but with this news I can't help but wonder: doesn't HBO worry how these reversals impact the confidence of the viewers? Like what is the point of the early renewal for a show like this when it doesn't actually mean the show is definitely coming back?

This isn't the first time they've done this, either. If I were HBO I would stop doing the early renewal announcements altogether for shows in their first season. As a viewer, this is the last time I take that renewal at face value. It is completely meaningless now. If they announce a couple of weeks into Westworld that the show has been renewed it isn't going to mean a damn thing.

HBO seems pretty chaotic and lost to me, like they have no idea what works and have no plan whatsoever. I assume they decided to make a clean cut even if it hurts, but it's not as if they have all these great new shows lined up. Man, they're probably praying to all gods they can find that Westworld doesn't bomb. Probably not a bad decision to make some sacrifices to them, given the teaser.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Saw this coming a mile away. Show had potential, but it had no idea what to do with it.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
If they wanted to do a show about the music industry, they should have made it about the music industry.

Instead, they have a murder in the first episode and bring in gangsters as soon as they could.

Alpende

Kinda sad it didn't get a second season. If they kept focusing on the label itself and getting new artists it could have been cool, the mafia storyline wasn't all that interesting.

Strike

Not surprised. They've done this with shows before. Tell Me You Love Me got cancelled after it got renewed as well. This show definitely had potential, but it would've needed a major overhaul. It just came off like it was trying too hard to be Mad Men, but without any of the nuance. That murder subplot is what probably hurt the show the most.

Dishwalla

Banned
Kind of forgot about this show after the first few episodes, wonder if it will hit Netflix or something and I can watch the whole thing.

IMO, there was a great show in there, but they didn't make it. Vinyl had its shot and missed the mark, better to give someone else their chance.

Blader

Kind of forgot about this show after the first few episodes, wonder if it will hit Netflix or something and I can watch the whole thing.

It's HBO, so no. Maybe Amazon Prime in a few years. I think their deal has HBO shows on a three-year delay or something.

I wouldn't recommend jumping in. Season 1 was mostly setup for a payoff that will never come now. This is disappointing, but expected. Bobby Canavale is a fucking great lead though. Killed it in Boardwalk and killed it here IMO.

Honestly, I feel like Mick Jagger and the music director were a mistake here. Not necessarily the music choices, but the little interludes sprinkled throughout EVERY FUCKING EPISODE started to grate on me. Like, stop the episode and have someone singing a song that is entirely unrelated to what was unfolding on screen interludes.

Nope, season ended with some pretty big cliffhangers, and lots of unresolved story lines.

Ugh, I'll probably check it out at some point when I'm bored, but come on HBO at least give them a movie or two to wrap it up.

Hari Seldon

HBO is solely for GOT and then unsub. They need to get their shit together they are running out of time to convert GOT people into full time subbers.

Sanjuro

Well yeah Silicon Valley is great but I'm not paying HBO prices just for a weekly half hour comedy. I'm just lucky HBO puts their two best shows back to back haha.

They changed their mission when they cancelled Luck. The whole purpose was they would produce shows regardless of the ratings. Standing by their product. Now? Just feels they are misguided as any other network.

That being said they are still delivering the best overall programing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom