• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vinyl - HBO on the 1970s music business in NY [update: Canceled by HBO]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The whole murder plot is just dumb. I'd much rather they just focus on bringing the record label back to life

The while studio plot with the Nasty Bits was very interesting. Exploring the creation of a song. The murder plot is detracting from it all. The plight of the label was/is enough.

CyReN

Each time this thread is rarely bumped I'm hoping HBO changed their mind and cancelled season 2.

To be fair though, I haven't watched any since Episode 3.

Enthus

The while studio plot with the Nasty Bits was very interesting. Exploring the creation of a song. The murder plot is detracting from it all. The plight of the label was/is enough.

Hopefully they learn with season 2 and make the focus entirely the label, and maybe cut half the characters. There are so many different threads that no one can develop except Richie.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Richie is the worst part of the series. I don't know how anyone thought to make a music show based around a fake record executive.

Chase17

The first 40-45 minutes of the last episode were actually pretty solid...kind of fell apart at the end though. Not too hopeful on how good the remainder of the season will be with what I'm guessing will be a bigger focus on the murder plot.

Honestly, I think the show is at its best when it's doing ham-fisted mystical-magic shit: the building collapsing in the first ep, the number 18, this week's 'other religion.' I'd rather they went all in on that stuff than keep making Important Drama #12.

Enthus

Honestly, I think the show is at its best when it's doing ham-fisted mystical-magic shit: the building collapsing in the first ep, the number 18, this week's 'other religion.' I'd rather they went all in on that stuff than keep making Important Drama #12.

Yeah, I agree with this. Focus on the music and drugs, and scatter some weird shit in throughout that you can't be sure really happened or not.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's kind of ridiculous how many super famous people they keep trying to cram into the show - John Lennon! Bob Marley! Elvis! David Bowie! Like, jeez guys, show some restraint...

if they did pay money for using an original Beatles song that's baffling considering the amount of shitty cover songs they've used so far.

My thoughts exactly. A season full of average sounding covers but an original Beatles song? What?

The whole murder plot is just dumb. I'd much rather they just focus on bringing the record label back to life

Yep. The music stuff can kind be fairly interesting when it wants to be - the scene where Lester teaches The Nasty Bits how to make a song was cool - but the mob/murder stuff is so tired at this point. If you wanted to keep telling mob stories, Terrence Winter, you shoulda just stuck with Boardwalk Empire!

Helmholtz

Thought this last episode was pretty good actually. In particular the scenes with the nasty bits and the manager were pretty well done.

Ok then....

- Deadline: ‘Vinyl’ Showrunner Terence Winter Exits
There is a major behind the scenes shakeup at HBO’s 1970s rock n roll drama Vinyl as it is heading into its second season. Co-creator, executive producer and showrunner Terence Winter has been let go over creative differences. Scott Z. Burns has been named executive producer/showrunner & Max Borenstein executive producer on the project, which is executive produced by Mick Jagger and Martin Scorsese.

The move is surprising as HBO has been Emmy winner Winter’s TV home for more than two decades as he has emerged as one of the pay cable network’s top writer-producers, first on The Sopranos, where he rose to executive producer, then on Boardwalk Empire, which he created and showran for its entire run, working alongside Scorsese, and then Vinyl, another collaboration with Scorsese.

“As we head into the second season of Vinyl, we have decided it is an appropriate time to make a change in the creative direction of the show,” HBO said in a statement to Deadline. “We have enjoyed a longtime partnership with Terry Winter at HBO on projects from The Sopranos to Boardwalk Empire to Vinyl, and we look forward to our next collaboration with him. We are pleased to welcome Scott Z. Burns, executive producer and showrunner, and Max Borenstein, executive producer, as the new team helming the show.
More via the link.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Not surprised. The show has been going nowhere plotwise IMO. Normally ratings don't matter as much on HBO but they haven't really had anything break out since Game of Thrones in like 2011. They probably have invested a lot in the show so rather than cancel they want to try and rework/salvage it. The Leftovers was also reworked for its 2nd season and it turned out amazing so here's hoping the 2nd season of Vinyl is much better than the first.

Fjordson

Yeah, I wanted to love this but I just can't. I haven't even watched the last two episodes.

Reminds me of season 2 of True Detective (though this isn't as bad as that). The cast was really intriguing and I loved the setting, but after the first few episodes I kinda had to admit defeat.

Yeah, I wanted to love this but I just can't. I haven't even watched the last two episodes.

Reminds me of season 2 of True Detective (though this isn't as bad as that). The cast was really intriguing and I loved the setting, but after the first few episodes I kinda had to admit defeat.

The only thing worthwhile in the last 2 episodes was the manager guy explaining how you can make a song using the same chords for every genre.

I'm several episodes behind, and just haven't been able to find the interest to watch this show anymore. The first few episodes were okay, but nothing special that hooked me, despite my interest in that era and music, and I have a lot left to watch on my PVR.

Should I bother? Has it honestly gotten much better?

Not surprised. The show has been going nowhere plotwise IMO. Normally ratings don't matter as much on HBO but they haven't really had anything break out since Game of Thrones in like 2011. They probably have invested a lot in the show so rather than cancel they want to try and rework/salvage it. The Leftovers was also reworked for its 2nd season and it turned out amazing so here's hoping the 2nd season of Vinyl is much better than the first.

Leftovers got good? I gave up after the first 3 or 4 episodes of season 1

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm several episodes behind, and just haven't been able to find the interest to watch this show anymore. The first few episodes were okay, but nothing special that hooked me, despite my interest in that era and music, and I have a lot left to watch on my PVR.

Should I bother? Has it honestly gotten much better?

Not really, honestly. The quality of the back half of the season has largely remained on par with the early episodes, so if you didn't like those, then you're probably not going to think much of the ones you missed.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Nude Olivia Wilde was the highlight of the past few episodes.

They should really focus on getting Alibi Records off the ground, everything else is just noise.

TheOddOne

- THR: Terence Winter Describes 'Vinyl' as Learning Experience, Wonders If Project Came "Too Soon".
"Period pieces are really tough," Winter admitted to a roomful of entertainment execs and investors at the Dream Downtown hotel. "It's tough to depict reality that's still fresh in someone's mind." Despite being renewed for a second season and counting names like Mick Jagger and Martin Scorcese among its co-creators, the show has netted unimpressive ratings for HBO. "Maybe it's too soon?" Winter wondered aloud about tackling that particular era of New York City's history. "I don't know."
Considering his many successes since then, including penning the Oscar-nominated screenplay for 2013's The Wolf of Wall Street, perhaps the greatest revelation of Winter's speech was his envy of a popular franchise he had no part in creating: ABC's The Bachelor. He described how, after his wife finally convinced him to watch one episode with her, he was "so hooked" on the reality series.

"If we can find out how to do what they do," he said, "then scripted TV has a chance in this business."

Chase17

FIinale was good. Think the last few episodes were an improvement over the rest. Season overall was alright. I'll probably tune for season two. They do some interesting things with how the show is presented even if the plot/characters aren't as good as I hoped.

If that fourth exec character doesn't have the gay sex with Xavier in the season 2 opener, I'm going to demand a refund. Enough with the nervous ogling already.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The finale was one of the strongest episodes, but it still wasn't even all that great. The "totally rockin" Nasty Bits performance at the end was decidedly uncool and I can't believe they're going to stretch this mob shit out into another season.

Uncool is the exact right word to use ratsky. This whole show reeks of "old white men at HBO attempt to write a hip show."

Spray painting the office, the CBGB stuff, all of that was just so damn lame.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Uncool is the exact right word to use ratsky. This whole show reeks of "old white men at HBO attempt to write a hip show."

Spray painting the office, the CBGB stuff, all of that was just so damn lame.

Old, or very very young, men. "Oh man, he got punched by the police for saying 'Fuck you!'" "That dude wrote 'Fuck This Place Up' on the office wall with spray paint!" "Swearing is so cool!"

Anth0ny

I liked the finale. Galasso is a scary mother fucker.

I'm also enjoying the low key rise of DJing/disco under everyone's noses.

BadAss2961

The show needs fixing alright, but getting rid of the two best characters (Richie and Kip) isn't going to do it. That's crazy talk. The show just needs more focus on what works and cut the fat.

What the hell happened to the Nasty Bits? I thought they were gonna break out with their punk style, but their big single ended up being more like what Benny from Sopranos was trying to make of them.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The show needs fixing alright, but getting rid of the two best characters (Richie and Kip) isn't going to do it. That's crazy talk. The show just needs more focus on what works and cut the fat.

Richie is salvageable, but Kip needs to go. The actor is absolutely dreadful and he clearly only got the role because his dad is Mick Jagger.

BadAss2961

Richie is salvageable, but Kip needs to go. The actor is absolutely dreadful and he clearly only got the role because his dad is Mick Jagger.
Cannavale, the wife, and the Bits manager are the only actors putting in performances here, so I don't think Jagger's outclassed in this show. In fact, I think he's believable in the punk lead role. Thought he was only out of his range in the last episode when things went bad with the girl, which was kinda rushed with questionable writing anyway.

The Bits were the most consistent part of this season, and Kip carried them along with the manager. Each subplot bored at points except for theirs. The show is barely worth it as is, but without them, definitely not worth it...

Without Cannavale, there is no show. Cancel it.

EDIT: About performances again, Romano was pretty funny at points. I'll give him that... But his character was mostly a nuisance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom