• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 - North American version - 720p support only? (photos)

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Rhindle said:
We really need a new labelling convention for PS3 box covers.

There should be an indication of what resoultions the game natively renders in vs. resolutions that are supported through scaling.

X360 titles don't disclose which resolution they render at and which ones the system scales

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Is this really a big deal? If you're PS3 is set to 1080p, won't the game just run in 720p? It's not like the game won't function or ask you to go into the XMB and change the settings before you are able to play the game...

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Mail me your copy and i'll be happy to check for you Jim. :)

*Sigh* only 12 more days until I have my copy...

dirtmonkey37 said:
Is this really a big deal? If you're PS3 is set to 1080p, won't the game just run in 720p? It's not like the game won't function or ask you to go into the XMB and change the settings before you are able to play the game...

Yup that's how resistance works. No biggie. I just WANT THIS!

LJ11

dirtmonkey37 said:

It's not the 1080p owners who are worried. 1080i only owners, such as Agent Icebreezy, may be left out in the cold if it only supports 720p. I don't think Sega is dumb enough to print two different versions of the game, but dumber things have happened.

Raistlin

dirtmonkey37 said:

Its a big deal if the Japanese version supports 1080p and the US version doesn't.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
LJ11 said:
It's not the 1080p owners who are worried. 1080i only owners, such as Agent Icebreezy, may be left out in the cold if it only supports 720p. I don't think Sega is dumb enough to print two different versions of the game, but dumber things have happened.

Everything is in motion already. The arcade stick and such. I'll find out one way or the other pretty soon.

crunker99

I have the import Virtua Fighter 5 on PS3 and i run my ps3 HDMI to a 1080p samsung tv and guess what

IT NEVER GETS ABOVE 720P EVEN THOUGH THE BOX SAYS 1080P

trust me, the game is onoy 720p nomatter what

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
crunker99 said:
I have the import Virtua Fighter 5 on PS3 and i run my ps3 HDMI to a 1080p samsung tv and guess what

can someone take a pic with this running at 1080i please. This is beyond ****ing ridiculous now.

Bebpo

Banned
crunker99 said:

Uncheck 720p under display in the system settings.

I have no problem with 720p at all. That resolution is gorgeous enough for me. It is like being disappointed that it doesn't support Dolby Digital 8.1 all of a sudden. I just want my VF5 ASAP.

Raistlin

Rhazer Fusion said:
I have no problem with 720p at all. That resolution is gorgeous enough for me It is like being disappointed that it doesn't support Dolby Digital 8.1 all of a sudden. I just want my VF5 ASAP.

Some people should really just not post

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
GCQuinton said:
Hasn't this been known for a while? I could have sworn this was in the original press release for the PS3 version.
Yeah, but things kinda changed when we started seeing 1080p pop up on websites and game boxes.

I have a 1080p set so I'm kinda interested in whats going on.

KTallguy

Banned
Bad_Boy said:

I have a 1080p set too.

But the game at 720 is awesome looking. So I'm not too worried.

I don't know about 1080i stuff, so hopefully there's some support there.

Bebpo

Banned
picssss33.jpg

1080i/1080p are supported but are just 720p upscaled like X360 games.

Honestly I bet RR7 is as well as any other game at 1080 on X360/PS3. I bet no one will ever make a 1080 game and will just upscale and say "look it's 1080p!"

GCQuinton

Bad_Boy said:
Yeah, but things kinda changed when we started seeing 1080p pop up on websites and game boxes.

Yeah, I've got one too so it'd be cool if it was in. If it was in 1080p, I think Sega would have made some sort of deal about it and announced it much like they did with Virtua Tennis 3 being 1080p on the 360. I really doubt they'd miss out on marketing their top fighter like that, no matter how small it may be to some.

Miburou

Bebpo said:
1080i/1080p are supported but are just 720p upscaled like X360 games.

Honestly I bet RR7 is as well as any other game at 1080 on X360/PS3. I bet no one will ever make a 1080 game and will just upscale and say "look it's 1080p!"

Huh? I thought the PS3 did not scale games?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Onix said:
Its a big deal if the Japanese version supports 1080p and the US version doesn't.

It was confirmed that the game doesn't run natively in 1080p.

All you would be getting is horrible 1080p upscaling which is probably performed by the game instead of the PS3 itself. Does that make a monumental difference?

I guess I should be a bit more kind. Everyone has their quirks. If this is yours, then so be it. VF5 isn't going to be any less awesome in 720p and it will still be regarded as the "deepest fighter" by both critics and fans.

Mmmkay

Bebpo said:
Are you feeling okay Bebpo?

Raistlin

Rhazer Fusion said:
Eh? I was basically saying that literally no one has 1080p anyway, so this news really doesn't effect most people.

Considering what is being questioned (and even not considering it) ... there are several things wrong with your statement.

Whatever though ... I don't want to derail this thread.

Raistlin

Bebpo said:

ummm no.

RR7 is not upscaled.

dallas79

I got VF5 through Play Asia, I also have a 1080p tv.

I forced 1080p by unchecking the 1080i 720p options in the display settings in the PS3 interface

And it looks like shit compared to 720p, so it must be scaling it like others have said.

You aren't missing anything American PS3 owners....

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Onix said:
ummm no.

RR7 is not upscaled.

That's true. And it looks beautiful in 1080p on those beautiful Bravias (no?) at TGS....woah, a site to behold.

dallas79 said:
I got VF5 through Play Asia, I also have a 1080p tv.

I forced 1080p by unchecking the 1080i 720p options in the display settings in the PS3 interface

And it looks like shit compared to 720p, so it must be scaling it like others have said.

You aren't missing anything American PS3 owners....

Was that what they were doing at TGS (the question is not specifically aimed at you)? VF looked a bit less sharp when I saw it there...

Raistlin

dirtmonkey37 said:
It was confirmed that the game doesn't run natively in 1080p.

All you would be getting is horrible 1080p upscaling which is probably performed by the game instead of the PS3 itself. Does that make a monumental difference?

I guess I should be a bit more kind. Everyone has their quirks. If this is yours, then so be it. VF5 isn't going to be any less awesome in 720p and it will still be regarded as the "deepest fighter" by both critics and fans.

Unfortunately you're wrong. The game will be less awesome for those that have lag issues.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Agent Icebeezy said:
they are doing it in software and this alleviates a lot of fears about my purchase now

I think they might be doing it with that 960x1080 mode with horizontal scaling method.

dallas79

dirtmonkey37 said:
That's true. And it looks beautiful in 1080p on those beautiful Bravias (no?) at TGS....woah, a site to behold.

Was that what they were doing at TGS (the question is not specifically aimed at you)? VF looked a bit less sharp when I saw it there...

It just looks "off" when switched to 1080p. stretched, aliased, not sure what the deal is.

720p is immediately noticeably better.

I was disappointed, I wanted another game to show of my Bravia XRB. RR7 and Marvel Legends are hardly graphical showcases besides the 1080p....

3rdman

dallas79 said:
It just looks "off" when switched to 1080p. stretched, aliased, not sure what the deal is.

720p is immediately noticeably better.

I was disappointed, I wanted another game to show of my Bravia XRB. RR7 and Marvel Legends are hardly graphical showcases besides the 1080p....

Not surprising considering how they are accomplishing the scaling. The wait for the hardware revision that will include a proper scaler is going to be a LOOOOOOONG one.

Miburou

I understand a system upscaling the output of a game (either through software or dedicated hardware), while being transparent to the game.

But I don't understand how the game itself taking every frame and upscaling it before output would be any less work than rendering the frame in the higher res from the start, while keeping the same assets.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Miburou said:
I understand a system upscaling the output of a game (either through software or dedicated hardware), while being transparent to the game.

But I don't understand how the game itself taking every frame and upscaling it before output would be any less work than rendering the frame in the higher res from the start, while keeping the same assets.

Apparently Sony has got a scaler in the PS3, but developers are only able to use it to stretch horizontally at the moment.

So devs are encouraged to put in a 960x1080 mode into their games and let the PS3 stretch it.

So the game either does 720p or 960x1080...960x1080 wouldn't scale down nicely to 720p I don't think, so it probably picks one mode over the other.

http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/ps3scaler/index.php?p=02

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
GCQuinton said:
Yeah, I've got one too so it'd be cool if it was in. If it was in 1080p, I think Sega would have made some sort of deal about it and announced it much like they did with Virtua Tennis 3 being 1080p on the 360. I really doubt they'd miss out on marketing their top fighter like that, no matter how small it may be to some.
True.

Bebpo said:
huh? lol

Miburou

Fatghost said:
Apparently Sony has got a scaler in the PS3, but developers are only able to use it to stretch horizontally at the moment.

So devs are encouraged to put in a 960x1080 mode into their games and let the PS3 stretch it.

So the game either does 720p or 960x1080...960x1080 wouldn't scale down nicely to 720p I don't think, so it probably picks one mode over the other.

http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/ps3scaler/index.php?p=02

Aha. Thanks for the info.

Miburou said:

Because when you render a frame, you do it in multiple passes. You would have to do multiple rendering passes at the higher resolution to get your final output frame if you render it natively at the res. Doing it after you've rendered the scene is just one extra pass that scales the entire composited image.

crunker99

i told u gusy noamtter what it doesnt go above 720p

i wasnt lying or inaccurate

u can scale it up sure but its not more than 720p, nor will it ever be

leave it at 720p folks, it looks fine

mollipen

So, wait... call my stupid, but question about the region thing. I remember one of the big deals made about the PS3 was that it would be region free. Do games still have a region listed on them, even though they can be played on any system, or is VF5 an exception to the usual no region encoding? Because, so far as I know, most games so far have been playable on either Japanese or US machines. Or is that wrong?

Bebpo

Banned
shidoshi said:
So, wait... call my stupid, but question about the region thing. I remember one of the big deals made about the PS3 was that it would be region free. Do games still have a region listed on them, even though they can be played on any system, or is VF5 an exception to the usual no region encoding? Because, so far as I know, most games so far have been playable on either Japanese or US machines. Or is that wrong?

They still list region just so you have some idea where the game came from. For instance the Asia vs. JPN PS3 where the boxes are identical besides the region marking and the CERO rating on the JPN one.

They're still all region free and VF5 is a universal disc with the full English version of the game and full Japanese version on the same disc.

Miburou

Thanks Marty.

PSP games also have region code symbols on the back of the box even though they're all region free.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Mibouru said:
But I don't understand how the game itself taking every frame and upscaling it before output would be any less work than rendering the frame in the higher res from the start
Every 3d game (at least)double buffers rendering.
Render to Back buffer, while Displaying Frontbuffer.
When it's time to show the next frame, you have two options:

- Swap Back and Front buffers (requires that both buffers have identical size and color format).

- Copy Back->Front buffer on start of vertical sync (commonly used since start of PS2 generation, when GPUs became fast enough for copy being almost free, and required on machines like 360 and GCN, which cannot scanout from their videoram).

The second option puts no restriction on buffer formats or sizes - so, you can use Frontbuffer in any resolution (upscaled, downscaled, whatever) you choose.
(Eg. Often used on PS2/GC was Backbuffer 512x512, Frontbuffer 640x480).

There's no real extra cost aside for more VideoRam usage when FrontBuffer is larger (External Scaler will save you that overhead).

Onix said:
Considering what is being questioned (and even not considering it) ... there are several things wrong with your statement.

Whatever though ... I don't want to derail this thread.

Er...Ok. I was only kidding around in my post. Anyway, carry on guys.

Top Bottom