• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 - North American version - 720p support only? (photos)

MegaTen

Banned
lupin23rd said:
Haha so the Region 2 disc is "For Japan Only" and the Region 3 disc is "For Home Use Only"?

m
It was sort of a similar case with PS2 games as well. Actually.. Japanese versions of games were "For Japan Only", while the version for other Asian countries was "For Home Use Only".

Jim

Bebpo said:
No, 1080i.

So basically, this confirms that Sega (in both Sonic and VF5), have already begun using the scaling capabilities to some some extent. So now 1080i "only" HDTV owners won't be stuck with 480p.

Now how long before Resistance is patched to do the same...

Bebpo

Banned
Jim said:
So basically, this confirms that Sega (in both Sonic and VF5), have already begun using the scaling capabilities to some some extent. So now 1080i "only" HDTV owners won't be stuck with 480p.

Now how long before Resistance is patched to do the same...

Well, it's the software that's scaling, not the hardware. If it was the hardware unchecking 720p would put every game in 1080i.

Shawn

Banned
Personally, I'm happy that it "only" supports 720p, as I just purchased a 720p-native set.

I would have been pretty pissed (I'm slightly exaggerating) if VF5 offered 1080p support. Why? Because it would have made me felt that I should have held off for a high-quality, affordable 1080p-native set.

Now I don't feel so bad.

Jim

Bebpo said:
Well, it's the software that's scaling, not the hardware. If it was the hardware unchecking 720p would put every game in 1080i.

Well the PS3 HW scaler supposedly isn't transparent, so I believe Sega still needs to add some logic/hooks within the software to know whether or not to scale. It does not work like the 360s scaler where the HW simply does what it needs to.

And ^ what Marty said.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Shawn said:
Personally, I'm happy that it "only" supports 720p, as I just purchased a 720p-native set.

I would have been pretty pissed (I'm slightly exaggerating) if VF5 offered 1080p support. Why? Because it would have made me felt that I should have held off for a high-quality, affordable 1080p-native set.

Now I don't feel so bad.

Aren't you the guy who gets pissed when other people have sex too? I think you just get pissed too easily.

cedric69

Considering the majority of reactions here... it looks like Microsoft was right in the first place when they stated that "Full HD" was not meant for this generation... regardless of them later adding 1080p as a bullet point in the marketing material for 360...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Jim said:
It does not work like the 360s scaler where the HW simply does what it needs to.
360 scaler isn't some voodoo magic box (regardless of what you were told by MS cronies) - it does what developer tells it to do.
The last thing any developer would want is being completely at the mercy of "transparent" unit - having flexibility with choices of filters and other parameters is a GOOD thing, even if you don't always need it.

i think the 1up crew summed it up best all the 720p and 1080p babble when there starting making fun of many more Ps they want

like they said, games look good on 720p period

boo7z

gutter_trash said:
i think the 1up crew summed it up best all the 720p and 1080p babble when there starting making fun of many more Ps they want

like they said, games look good on 720p period

Sure, if the TV's native rez is 720p.

I have a question, when you create an AI does it save to a seperate file than the main game save file? If it does than it will be easy to share that file with one another online. But if stuck as a part of the main game save than there is no way to share just the AI.

Please tell me they seperated the files.

Bebpo

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
I have a question, when you create an AI does it save to a seperate file than the main game save file? If it does than it will be easy to share that file with one another online. But if stuck as a part of the main game save than there is no way to share just the AI.

Please tell me they seperated the files.

Nope, it's crappy like Evo :(

Just hope you're the only one with the game and everyone will make their characters and play it at your place ^^;

Bebpo said:
Nope, it's crappy like Evo :(

Just hope you're the only one with the game and everyone will make their characters and play it at your place ^^;

NOOOOO!

What the hell, it would have been so easy to share files. Damn they messed up on that one.

Raistlin

Bebpo said:

'HW-scaling' need not be automatic.

The horizontally-scaled 960x1080 framebuffer that has been mentioned as of late is an obvious example of this.

Raistlin

Shawn said:

Now I don't feel so bad.

You selfish jerk.

So now people with 1080p-native sets have to choose between aliased graphics or lag.

Thanks ... thanks a lot :p

KTallguy

Banned
I have a 1080p native set, and the game looks fricking awesome.

Why don't you wait till you have it before you make hasty judgements?

Top Bottom