• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visceral / EA Vancouver Star Wars game may be cancelled

iconmaster

Banned
According to Schreier’s sources:

After EA shut down Visceral and talked about the poor ROI on single-player experiences, I’ve been waiting for this shoe to drop.

Sounds like a “thud” to me.

Edit: I thought there was another cancelled EA SW game recently. Research isn’t bearing that out, but feel free to add your own info.

Last edited:
Disney: "We saw Star Wars popularity declining on the charts and we we went to find out what caused the decline. The results that came up said "Battle Front" so based on this fact, we are removing EA's rights to Star Wars and we will be giving the Star Wars IP to a competent gaming studio: Activision"

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Game cancellations should be illegal, so anti-consumer, someone please force them to finish it.

Elenchus

Banned
Obviously a lie. We all know the only video game ever cancelled in the history of video games is Scalebound! Nice try Phil. Trying to divert attention from the REAL cancellation. Close but no dice my felonious friend.
36fec3a6c6c9d7a4e20c6ff3f4d0b1ad.jpg

Mooreberg

How much longer will Disney put up with this? What is EA actually good at these days beyond squeezing money out of kids with Ultimate Team? This has been such a hilariously mismanaged mess of something that should have been a slam dunk. I know a KOTOR style game would never be a fit for their monetization goals, but can they not do better than cancellations and Hawaiian lawsuits?

Codes 208

Yep I also believe microsoft would have done great things with the IP as well. I can't believe we still have another 4 years of this ea exclusivity bullshit
I don’t know. Ms would probably keep delaying it and promise how cool it’ll be as. Or sit on the IP for a decade or two. Or buy another dev to work on it just to throw them into the halo/gears cycle.

Last edited:

Alexios

Oh well we can just replay this forever, who needs new games in any genre if they can't top the classics.

Pallas

Someone else really needs to take the Star Wars IP away from EA, just don’t give it to Activision.

Alexios

What the fuck is going on.

Can’t believe all we have is battlefront and that shitty mobile game.
There's also the OCULUS QUEST (stand-alone snapdragon powered full 6DOF VR Set with twin tracked controllers) VR DARTH VADER series.

Dunno how much game there is going to be or if it's more like a VR TV show or something, didn't research as I won't get a Quest and I dunno if they'll release it for PC VR yet.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Blame Disney.

They’ve completely destroyed Star Wars it anyone actually giving a fuck anymore about it. And I thought that was impossible.

Designed by committee garbage in both games and cinema.

Nothing of value was lost

Last edited:

Fbh

tenor.gif

Not so long ago I was super excited for the big return of star wars. Fast forward a few years and I'm finding it hard to care about both the games and movies of this franchise anymore

At least the Respawn one should be good but maybe they find a way to fuck up that one too

Wonder what Sony could do with the starwars ip

At this point I'm starting to wonder what pretty much any big dev/publishers (aside from maybe Activision) could do with the IP

Last edited:

DiscoJer

The cancellation that always puzzled me was EA's The White Council, which was going to be an Elder Scrolls style game set in Middle Earth.

How would that not be huge?

Last edited:

juliotendo

According to Schreier’s sources:

After EA shut down Visceral and talked about the poor ROI on single-player experiences, I’ve been waiting for this shoe to drop.

Sounds like a “thud” to me.

Edit: I thought there was another cancelled EA SW game recently. Research isn’t bearing that out, but feel free to add your own info.

Probably because they couldn’t find a way to incorporate micro transactions.

evangd007

Ya'll remember when we'd get 2, 3, or even 4 Star Wars games in a given year in a wide variety of genres like flying, FPS, RPG, and strategy? Good times man, good times...

Barakov

Sheesh. What a mess.
Wonder what Sony could do with the starwars ip
You know, Most of Sony's output is at the very least solid. Having one of their internal studios or Insomniac taking a crack at isn't the worst idea.

PsyEd

Well might be a good decision if it was another quality product like ME:Andromeda or was infested with sjw cancer...someone with brains prolly got a whiff of it and pulled the plug early. Anyway nothing will be missed.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Just fucking break the contract, Disney. I wish Microsoft bought EA when they were looking at it.

Last edited:

suemrri

Neo Member
There are tons of studios that may develop an awesome Star Wars game, I want to play a new Dead Space but I guess this is something that considering all the factors its not going to happen.

ruvikx

Banned
EA seem to have forgotten how to make video games. Seriously, when's the last time these imbeciles released a real popular well reviewed successful single player game? (Dragon Age Inquisition?) It just seems to be sports/multiplayer/microtransactions/shared online cheaply made cash grabs piled on top of each other. Even Fifa's single player career mode has gone to shit because they're obsessed with ultimate team.

They destroyed Dead Space (even insofar as they made the third a co-op game because some genius believed it would make more moneys), they destroyed Mass Effect & Battlefield is on the ropes. Meanwhile, actual single player games (not cheaply made co-op or multiplayer/shared online hub bullshit dictating game design) like God of War, Red Dead 2 & Spiderman are at the top of the sales charts.

Moral of the story? Stop treating the gaming industry like a shoe factory (cheapest investment & maximising profits) & start making actual real video games again.

Inviusx

EA execs probably look at the budgets for these projects and contrast them with Galaxy of Heroes and then wonder why the fuck the project was even greenlit in the first place.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
You can't see it, but I have my shocked face on, no seriously I have, I thought Visceral was dead?

They are, and the game was cancelled. Parts of Visceral's game was handed over to another EA studio who was suppose to develop a Star Wars open world game. Suddenly Jade Raymond jumped the ship, and now the game is cancelled as well.

TeamGhobad

Banned
is this the Amy Schumer game? How many SW games has EA cancelled now? How many are still in development? we need an Excel spreadsheet.

Only the Respawn one remains it seems.

Last edited:
Top Bottom