• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visceral / EA Vancouver Star Wars game may be cancelled

VertigoOA

Banned
Great job shutting down lucasarts.

Thanks Disney.

The game output helped keep Star Wars strong all those years.

Whatever, I’m glad it’s dead now. I remember Star Wars as it shoul; before the dark times, before the empire

Hudo

I really hope that Disney will license out Star Wars on a per-project basis after this whole deal with EA finally expires. I know that game dev is hard but come on... At least there's still the game by Respawn Entertainment. I hope that it will scratch my Jedi Knight itch. (Will probably also get cancelled and we will get a Battlefront III instead, as mediocre (and littered with microtransactions) as the previous ones...)

ODESZA

The only reason EA should have Star Wars is for Bioware, but they aren't even competent to make KOTOR 3 anymore.

Let Sony and MS have a bid war for the rights so we can see some quality Star Wars titles again.

Last edited:

Teslerum

So, they cancelled the mutilated corpse of a cancelled game?
I'm glad. Because the only thing this game would have done is remind me that we missed out on a Amy Hennig written Star Wars game.

PSFan

Great job shutting down lucasarts.

Thanks Disney.

The game output helped keep Star Wars strong all those years.

Whatever, I’m glad it’s dead now. I remember Star Wars as it shoul; before the dark times, before the empire

Couldn't agree more. Everything Star Wars needs to be cancelled. It just sucks so bad since Disney bought it, especially the movies. They never should have purged the entire extended universe, so much good stuff in there.

Thiagosc777

Is it any surprise? Companies like EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc, are going multiplayer only with lots of microtransactions.

VertigoOA

Banned
Couldn't agree more. Everything Star Wars needs to be cancelled. It just sucks so bad since Disney bought it, especially the movies. They never should have purged the entire extended universe, so much good stuff in there.

For 40 fucking years Star Wars stayed strong. Lucasarts was incredible. Its Star Wars output was always something to get excited about.

Shadows of the Empire, the super Star Wars trilogy, rogue leader, republic commando, mother fuckig kotor 1 and 2. And that’s just the console Star Wars stuff. Let’s not forget mercenaries, Indiana Jones: date of Atlantis, full throttle and the like.

It took Disney two soulless piece of shit movies to take a giant shit on it all. Don’t blame the games. Don’t blame EA. Don’t blame solo for ip fatigue because episode 8 did that and anyone who denies otherwise is lying to themselves big time.

You didn’t need movies every year. And the games weren’t creatively restricted by some bullshit canon rules when it should’ve stayed how it was. The books, the games... everything was fan fiction if not written by Lucas.

I guess the kids like new Star Wars but I will just call you a retard for thinking that

Javthusiast

Banned
So many years and all EA has to show for are two mediocore at best battlefront games?

The star wars ip is completely wasted in their hands.

Just do it like marvel and license the ip out to sony etc., maybe we then can get spider man like quality single player games, and avengers like multiplayer titles. If the avengers game is actually multipayer and most importantly, good.

Last edited:

dan76

I want a Naughty Dog Han Solo and Chewie game, taking out bounty hunters, smuggling for Jabba... someone please stop EA.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't. ND would probably turn Han Solo gay. ND should stay away from Star Wars.
What established character did they change the sexual orientation of for you to worry about anything like that and bring it up in an otherwise completely unrelated topic? That's just an irrational... phobia.

llien

I thought Disney has already turned SW into not that beloved IP, chuckle, EA just follows the trend.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
And to think people (including me) were actually optimistic initially about the Disney sale due to wresting it away from George Lucas. I would say it's been worst-case scenario ever since then.

Fox Mulder

I don't even care anymore.

EA fucking sucks and has done nothing with the license since 2013 but two divisive Battlefront games. They can't even do the slam dunk Bioware kotor.

Even if Disney took the license, they'd probably just give it exclusively to Activision or Ubisoft and we'd likely get the same kind of stuff.

Fake

No please

941780e3_e3-kinect-star-wars-fail.gif
What a blast from the past.

Fbh

So according to the update on the Kotaku Article:

UPDATE (10:17pm): Since the publication of this article, I’ve talked to several more people familiar with EA Vancouver’s now-cancelled open-world Star Wars game. This project, which was code-named Orca, was very early in development but would involve playing as a scoundrel or bounty hunter who could explore various open-world planets and work with different factions across the Star Wars universe.

When EA’s top decision-makers looked at their road map for the next few years, they decided that they needed something earlier than the planned release date for Orca, according to two people familiar with what happened. So they cancelled Orca in favor of a smaller-scale Star Wars project that’s now aimed for much sooner—likely, late 2020, which also happens to be around the time that I’ve heard next-gen consoles will launch. (Might be a bit earlier; might be a bit later. From what I’ve heard, next-gen plans are definitely still in flux.)

Sounds like making a good Star Wars game was too much effort so they cancelled it in favour of a quick next gen cashgrab

iconmaster

Banned
Thanks Fbh Fbh . The good news here:

To EA’s credit, those people said, the publisher did not lay anyone off as part of this transition. This news comes at a time of cost-cutting across the industry, at major publishers including both EA and Activision, as we’ve reported. Some at the studio also hope that Orca might be restarted after this new project is finished.

I'm not angry about this. From a business perspective, yes: Disney should be seriously reevaluating this relationship. From a gamer's perspective, was EA ever going to produce a truly great Star Wars game? I'm not sure anything of value was really lost.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I hope Oculus Quest's VR Darth Vader series does well and they get the rights to make a fantastic full PC VR game out of it.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You have one of the most lucrative Ips of the world and what do you do. Nothing !!

Clearly shows how HORRIBLE of a company EA is. The devs are very very talented, yet the suits managing those teams are THE WORST!!!!

So basically EA has killed Battlefront, Mass Effect, KoTOR, Sim City, Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, SSX, Burnout, Need for Speed, Command&Conquer and more recently Battlefield. What else?

That's why we should really stop finding excuses for those who still buy their crap games. Let the degenerate couch potatos waste money on Fifa and EA go bankrupt so they have to sell all their other franchises and assets to better suitors.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So basically EA has killed Battlefront, Mass Effect, KoTOR, Sim City, Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, SSX, Burnout, Need for Speed, Command&Conquer and more recently Battlefield. What else?

That's why we should really stop finding excuses for those who still buy their crap games. Let the degenerate couch potatos waste money on Fifa and EA go bankrupt so they have to sell all their other franchises and assets to better suitors.

Wing Commander, Ultima, etc., etc..

This is not surprising. Any property owned/involved with Disney should be no-go territory for developers unless you're super-rich and have that licensing contract locked down. The Star Wars property is being pushed in other directions and it would be a risky venture for a developer to guess what that direction might be.

Thiagosc777

You have some weird priorities if you think an obviously exaggerated example like that is worse than whatever the fuck EA is doing.

Why? It'd be comparable to the new Solo movie where they turned Lando into a pansexual. They are weirdos who want to push their politics whenever they can. After that point it stops being Star Wars and it is just propaganda.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Why? It'd be comparable to the new Solo movie where they turned Lando into a pansexual. They are weirdos who want to push their politics whenever they can. After that point it stops being Star Wars and it is just propaganda.

In a world that have aliens and talking robots. And in a prequel no less. And on top of that they barely even mentioned his pansexualness.

He was pansexual? Holy shit I didn't even notice. They fumbled Lando's character and that's not the reason why. And besides, we can't accuse ND of "agenda driven" poor writing as it just hasn't happened and even if we could, that would still be better than the lootbox hell and myriad of cancellations EA has given us. Dying a very slow and painful death would probably be better than the EA-Star Wars partnership.

In my humble opinion, giving the entire Star Wars IP to a single publisher has proved to be fruitless They should create a new Lucasarts publisher in charge of collaborating with studios from across the globe to create the best games possible, even if it means more work and higher costs... is not like the current model is bringing a lot of revenue.

Rotti

Clearly shows how HORRIBLE of a company EA is. The devs are very very talented, yet the suits managing those teams are THE WORST!!!!

Indeed, the management at EA this gen has been a mess. Bad release dates, closing studios, a LOT ofcancelled games. Its baffling.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
EA: Exclusive Star Wars license, exclusive NFL license.

IP holders, stop sending your product to stagnate or die for a quick cash grab. Dumb.

When EA acquired the license, I thought they were a nice fit because they had already made a ton of Star Wars games and those IP's all had potential. But the evidence is there, all they have to show for themselves in the past 6 years are only 2 very problematic Battlefront games that are missing tons of content compared to the old ones.

Just fire EA already.

is this the Amy Schumer game? How many SW games has EA cancelled now? How many are still in development? we need an Excel spreadsheet.

Only the Respawn one remains it seems.
Amy Schumer lol. You mean Amy Hennig?

Last edited:

Caffeine

so ragtag was cancelled which was sent to EA vancouver/motive and now that is canned. I dont see them even attempting a battlefront 3 after 2 tbh at dice. swtor mmo at bioware has slowed to a crawl. so that literally leaves respawns jedi fallen order? gg with the starwars license.

LOLCats

Banned
What the fuck is going on.

Can’t believe all we have is battlefront and that shitty mobile game.

monetization man... EA only wants games that have a steady post purchase revenue stream. SP games dont do that. Story DLC income is not enough for them.

They probably also realize all the writing talent these studios had is long gone now and they cant make any good SP games... so they are just giving up.

Last edited:
The current state of Battlefront doesn't make sense. Didney brought Lucas Arts and their staff, they couldn't make their own? They had to give it to EA who before the first Battlefront reboot, already had a bad rep with licensese? Couldn't give it to Activision that actually had good licensed games? Or someone like Epic games which had a stronger shooter track record?

Galaxy of Heroes is about as good as a gacha game can get. I would actually play it if it had no energy system..
It has an absurd amount of content and the visual design is incredible. The whole cantina with hologames thing is brilliant. It's worth checking out for the presentation and interface design.

Last edited:
Top Bottom