• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visceral / EA Vancouver Star Wars game may be cancelled

Gander

Banned
If Square-Enix acquired Lucas Arts that would be interesting. Giving Stars Wars to people use to making dramatic RPGs and they sure could use the name recognition for their IPs.

blackjon24

No please

941780e3_e3-kinect-star-wars-fail.gif

lol I forgot about that. I completely take it back

If Square-Enix acquired Lucas Arts that would be interesting. Giving Stars Wars to people use to making dramatic RPGs and they sure could use the name recognition for their IPs.

Give it to Activision, Raven Software is still around (They're stuck making CoD multiplayer forever). There's a few people left that worked on Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy last I heard. Get them involved and make a spiritual successor to Jedi Outcast which still has people playing MP to this day.

M0G

Please give the license to somebody that's hungry to make a name for themselves. Somebody that isn't just looking at every aspect in terms of numbers and hooking an audience into an ongoing "service". No license exclusivity hell let's go back to the old old days when upstarts and smalltime developers could get hold of a license if they had an idea to pitch. Otherwise don't even consider letting companies with toxic reputations have sole access to such a beloved franchise. Sod it though, Star Wars is pretty much dead to me at this point with the BS that is going on with the films too atm.

I think a lot of people are also forgetting that Lucas Atrs was doing jack shit with the Star Wars license in the last decade of its life. We just need new young blood in the Star Wars license.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Please give the license to somebody that's hungry to make a name for themselves. Somebody that isn't just looking at every aspect in terms of numbers and hooking an audience into an ongoing "service". No license exclusivity hell let's go back to the old old days when upstarts and smalltime developers could get hold of a license if they had an idea to pitch. Otherwise don't even consider letting companies with toxic reputations have sole access to such a beloved franchise. Sod it though, Star Wars is pretty much dead to me at this point with the BS that is going on with the films too atm.

You know damn well Factor 5 would be itching to give it a go again.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think a lot of people are also forgetting that Lucas Atrs was doing jack shit with the Star Wars license in the last decade of its life. We just need new young blood in the Star Wars license.

Oh yes they were, it slowed down around the time of the sale (which usually takes up to a year or more in planning and back and forth with such an acquisition), so naturally they are not going to invest in heavy new projects if it were in the contract phase that it was to get the ax after.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LucasArts_games

The completion of the sale to Disney was in 2012.

VertigoOA

Banned
Oh yes they were, it slowed down around the time of the sale (which usually takes up to a year or more in planning and back and forth with such an acquisition), so naturally they are not going to invest in heavy new projects if it were in the contract phase that it was to get the ax after.

Yep. Lucasarts was always hard at work.

People forget how important lucasarts was to the gaming industry. While not as important or lucasfilm or ILM it certainly had its own contributions.

Fuck man...

prag16

Banned

I'm still salty that the allegedly-nearly-completed Rogue Squadron Trilogy pack for Wii never got released. God I hope that leaks online some day (assuming it's in a reasonably playable state). I never set up a USB loader of any kind on my homebrew'd Wii, but this would be reason to.

Yeah, was gonna say this. They hadn't done "jack shit" with it in the decade prior to 2012. Things definitely did slow down but there were some good games released in that Window, and what we've gotten since (two Battlefront games and a mobile game) is embarrassing. Incredibly huge missed opportunity.

M0G

Having just looked at their Wikipedia page, I didn't realise that Turrican was them or that they'd re-acquired the Turrican IP. Now a new Turrican game would be something... But yeah they are 100% the guys you'd talk to if you weren't relying solely on EA to produce a quality Star Wars game.

Komatsu

It's becoming increasingly clear that though EA is sitting on one of the world's most valuable IPs, with a rich galaxy and lore to explore, with dozens of amazing single-player games set in that universe, they decided to invest in Battlefield Clones and P2W black holes.

Teslerum

He was pansexual? Holy shit I didn't even notice. They fumbled Lando's character and that's not the reason why. And besides, we can't accuse ND of "agenda driven" poor writing as it just hasn't happened and even if we could, that would still be better than the lootbox hell and myriad of cancellations EA has given us. Dying a very slow and painful death would probably be better than the EA-Star Wars partnership.

Poor writing, maybe. But Agenda driven writing definitly happened at ND by their own admission during Uncharted 4. (For example changing the gender of Nate's kid) And they are proud of it.

Now how important that is for you is your thing.

M0G

With the pansexual Lando thing, that was quite subtle and you can either appreciate it, ignore it or laugh. I wouldn't have noticed it except it was mentioned in an interview. "Oh yeah well Lando would fuck a robot if given half a chance" was basically it. When there's no song & dance or it's left open to interpretation that's one thing, it's when you smack it into the audience's face with a hammer that it becomes divisive.

It's becoming increasingly clear that though EA is sitting on one of the world's most valuable IPs, with a rich galaxy and lore to explore, with dozens of amazing single-player games set in that universe, they decided to invest in Battlefield Clones and P2W black holes.

What irks me about this is EA just sits on it and resources into creating new IPs that nobody really expected or asked for. Anthem for example... Why not set that in the Star Wars universe and make it about a rogue band of Mandalorian mercenaries on a quest to uncover a relic from the KOTOR era. The game would still be criticised left right and centre for being a Destiny clone and always online etc, but a lot of Star Wars fans would be thrilled to play a co-op shooter set in the Star Wars universe.

I'd make a GaaS Warframe/Division/Destiny style online game that combines the storytelling, setting and RPG elements of KOTOR with the combat of Jedi Knight. Real Time action fast paced smooth lightsaber action. Fight in 100 player battle on various planets with Jedi pitted against Sith. Make your own detailed character. Build your own fighting style by choosing two unique force powers, a unique lightsaber form, lightsaber type, and choose special secondary abilities (pummel hits, kicks, power dash, backflips, etc) to round out your character.

With a long term progression system where you level up and have tens of thousands of unique cosmetics for your character to unlock for every kind of activity in the game. Hire top tier development studious to make stand alone single player campaigns where you play as different characters set in the old republic universe. Charge 40-50 dollars for a 10-15 hour single player story campaign, with cosmetic unlocks for your multiplayer character.

Round out the gameplay with a tight balanced combat system, spectator and esport friendly. make user submitted content system so people can submit their own maps, weapons and items to be put in the game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
With the pansexual Lando thing, that was quite subtle and you can either appreciate it, ignore it or laugh. I wouldn't have noticed it except it was mentioned in an interview. "Oh yeah well Lando would fuck a robot if given half a chance" was basically it. When there's no song & dance or it's left open to interpretation that's one thing, it's when you smack it into the audience's face with a hammer that it becomes divisive.

What irks me about this is EA just sits on it and resources into creating new IPs that nobody really expected or asked for. Anthem for example... Why not set that in the Star Wars universe and make it about a rogue band of Mandalorian mercenaries on a quest to uncover a relic from the KOTOR era. The game would still be criticised left right and centre for being a Destiny clone and always online etc, but a lot of Star Wars fans would be thrilled to play a co-op shooter set in the Star Wars universe.

Well for one, they want an IP that they can control if it does have the success that Destiny had. And not share any profits with a licensee.

That is really what it comes down to as far as Anthem, but I agree, that would be dope.

Caffeine

well they have it till april 2023 right? i guess they can pump out one 4 year dev cycle game, and a sequel to fallen order by then. maybe project orca will still see the light of day lol.

Last edited:
So how long has it been since EA got the SW rights and we have basically had 2 lacklustre multiplayer FPS games. The Games were always some of the best EU experiences I seriously think the lack of engaging and story driven SW games in the last few years has hurt Disneys efforts to build a loved extended universe to the new era.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So how long has it been since EA got the SW rights and we have basically had 2 lacklustre multiplayer FPS games. The Games were always some of the best EU experiences I seriously think the lack of engaging and story driven SW games in the last few years has hurt Disneys efforts to build a loved extended universe to the new era.

2013 and until 2023 if Disney doesn't act a fool and renew it with them.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just port the Old Republic to console already. It will sell just fine while EA keeps starting and cancelling SW games.

I've tweeted that for years with it going unanswered by the Developers, and then PC fans trying to "educate me" as to why it wouldn't work on consoles, lol.

It's definitely a missed opportunity on EA's part.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Seems like EA is probably not loving the deal they made and instead of dealing with Disney, would rather just do nothing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Seems like EA is probably not loving the deal they made and instead of dealing with Disney, would rather just do nothing.

What I find fascinating about these types of deals, is that they usually carry a set amount of games having to be made... this deal seems unorthadox where like you said, they don't have to do shit.

It's frustrating watching them c-block the entire industry from this IP, and they aren't producing much of anything in the process.

We don't even get the LEGO games anymore from TT Fusion and I suspect it is due to this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom