• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Seems like the recent decay of Elf is depressing some people, like on /vr/ and VNDb (heard their brand Silky's has fallen off the radar); losing Yu-No to 5pb might be good for playing the game over here, though, if JAST USA's going to localize it.

Seems like the recent decay of Elf is depressing some people, like on /vr/ and VNDb (heard their brand Silky's has fallen off the radar); losing Yu-No to 5pb might be good for playing the game over here, though, if JAST USA's going to localize it.

It's only depressing because the next Maro game is now in limbo. Silky's Plus is all ex-Elf and Silky's people and constantly releasing stuff, so nothing of value was lost.

Well, JAST is more in cahoots with Nitro+ than 5pb (though Steins;Gate involved both companies). Do we even know what platform Yu-No is coming to? JAST definitely won't do it if it's not on PC.

People are figuring it's coming to Xbox One because of Asada's history with developing Cave STGs for the platform. That's not certain, of course, and I don't see why 5pb wouldn't bring it onto PC.

Josephl64

Whats the general consensus on Cho Dengeki Stryker All Ages Version? Translation any good? Worth the 15 quid?

Only played the 18+ ver, but it should be similar enough. I really disliked the first playthrough until maybe near the end, but the second one was good to me so if that sounds good enough to you for 15 quid, then by all means go for it.

So Little Witch Romanesque passed through Steam Greenlight. From what I've played of it, it's a bizarre fit. They are going to have to hack the hell out of it to make it all-ages. If they try to sell this as a Long Live the Queen type of game, it will be really misleading.

Kasper

Whats the general consensus on Cho Dengeki Stryker All Ages Version? Translation any good? Worth the 15 quid?

I've only played the adult version, but I enjoyed it. It's not amazing by any stretch of the imagination, but it's got nice production values and an entertaining plot. I liked the comedic aspects the most.

CrovaxPSO

White Robe Love Addiction from Kogado Studio, a follow-up to White Robe Love Syndrome, was announced at Comiket. More info will be in the Jan. 8 issue of Famitsu. There's a teaser site up. Would be nice to see it come out on the Vita since they put the previous game on the PSP, but the publisher (Cyberfront) has since been closed.

Loona

Kind of a shot in the dark, but does anyone know if there are any Ren'Py iOS novels?

Some friends and I are in the very early stages of trying to collaborate on one and trying to pick between Ren'Py and Visualnovelty, and the a quick glance makes it look like there hasn't been any successful iOS support for Ren'Py, but that was according to posts two to three years ago.

Based on Renpytom's twitter, an iOS version is in the works, but not ready yet.

elyetis

So Little Witch Romanesque passed through Steam Greenlight. From what I've played of it, it's a bizarre fit. They are going to have to hack the hell out of it to make it all-ages. If they try to sell this as a Long Live the Queen type of game, it will be really misleading.
How far are you ? i must have played something like 4 hour of it I think, probably more, and only had 1 scene which wouldn't fit an all age version. And given how unimportant the scene is, it would be really easy to remove at that point.

How far are you ? i must have played something like 4 hour of it I think, probably more, and only had 1 scene which wouldn't fit an all age version. And given how unimportant the scene is, it would be really easy to remove at that point.

The sex scenes become a lot more common later. And there is a lot of suggestive content outside of them, especially for underage characters. The whole game is laced with and structured around erotic content. Even the spell cards have it.

Marche90

The sex scenes become a lot more common later. And there is a lot of suggestive content outside of them, especially for underage characters. The whole game is laced with and structured around erotic content. Even the spell cards have it.

The assets for an "All-ages" edition exist, seeing how the game got a PS2 release in Japan. I'm sure they will use those assets for the Steam version

In other (funny) news, I just tried to access the Neko-para site... Seems like it's being hammered with visits, since the website just threw me a "Service Unavailable" error.

The assets for an "All-ages" edition exist, seeing how the game got a PS2 release in Japan. I'm sure they will use those assets for the Steam version

They're not using the PS2 port as a base apparently. I think the port was done by a different company, so they don't even have the rights to it.
In other (funny) news, I just tried to access the Neko-para site... Seems like it's being hammered with visits, since the website just threw me a "Service Unavailable" error.
It reached top 18 on Steam in the middle of a holiday sale, so its probably doing pretty well.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Should I go for Nekopara or If My Heart Had Wings with my steam card monies? I know Nekopara will most likely be vapid cuteness but IMHHW's iffy translation is swaying me away from that.

Yuuichi

I'd go for Nekopara given the choice

KonoZora is more for your money of more questionable quality than nekopara, so if I had to choose looking at my massive backlog it would be Nekopara as well.

Totally irrelevant, I added you on steam Infinite (DJ Juan Taka).

White Robe Love Addiction from Kogado Studio, a follow-up to White Robe Love Syndrome, was announced at Comiket. More info will be in the Jan. 8 issue of Famitsu. There's a teaser site up. Would be nice to see it come out on the Vita since they put the previous game on the PSP, but the publisher (Cyberfront) has since been closed.
Funny, I remember the Kogado store being unusually inactive last I checked, at least regarding news. They're still around, it seems! VNs, Power DoLLS Web, and distributing second-hand Falcom wares must be doing them some good.

So I'm a bit late to ask this, but what Visual Novels are worth getting before the holiday sale ends? I'm pretty open to anything provided the story and/or characters are engaging. I already have Hatoful Boyfriend and Go Go Nippon! so there's no need to recommend me those. I asked this in the Steam holiday thread but I thought maybe I should ask it here as well.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
So I'm a bit late to ask this, but what Visual Novels are worth getting before the holiday sale ends? I'm pretty open to anything provided the story and/or characters are engaging. I already have Hatoful Boyfriend and Go Go Nippon! so there's no need to recommend me those. I asked this in the Steam holiday thread but I thought maybe I should ask it here as well.

Well if we're going with Steam stuff I'd go with World End Economica, Planetarian, and/or Fault Milestone one. Narcissu 1+2 is free on Steam so you can just pop that in with either/both!

This thread plus the steam sale got me to buy Planetarian on a whim earlier today. I just finished it.

I...kinda....wasn't feeling Sweet Fuse :/

I just bought Time Hollow and Jake Hunter: The good version on the cheap, I hope they'll be more up my alley.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I just bought Time Hollow and Jake Hunter: The good version on the cheap, I hope they'll be more up my alley.

I just finished Time Hollow last year. It was alright. Story was.... not my favorite. If anything, what bugged me the most was how Konami gave everyone in the game western names :/ No real reason for it, and not like it was a game for kiddies. Doesn't happen that much anymore, but still bugs me that it's still done, just cause.

I...kinda....wasn't feeling Sweet Fuse :/

How far into Sweet Fuse did you get?

Time Hollow is pretty meh IMO. It's not horrible, but very middling, with an unsatisfying conclusion. Jake Hunter is pretty cool though, I wish they'd bring more of those over.

aravuus

The Ace Attorney games are considered VNs, right? I finally finished the first trilogy and I'm on the last case of Apollo Justice so I'm pretty excited to finally play a 3D AA game on the 3DS.

Apollo Justice has been okay so far. Pretty enjoyable. The slow text is still killing me though please for the love of god give me a fucking choice to not spend 10+ seconds in every 10-word textbox if I don't want to

I finished Littlewitch Romanesque, and I wouldn't really recommend it. The gameplay in it is bad, it's just one dice rolling mini-game that you have to do over and over. I feel like this game was sold as having some sort of compelling gameplay and that is just not true, don't come here expecting that. Halfway through the game I had already tired of it enough that I just used cheat engine to avoid it. And if you don't cheat, you'll need to play through the game many times to see all the endings, and I can't imagine doing that mini-game that many times without going crazy.

The actual writing in the game is just fluff with a lot your typical harem elements, and the occasional excuse for a sex scene (or twenty of them).

Josephl64

I finished Littlewitch Romanesque, and I wouldn't really recommend it. The gameplay in it is bad, it's just one dice rolling mini-game that you have to do over and over. I feel like this game was sold as having some sort of compelling gameplay and that is just not true, don't come here expecting that. Halfway through the game I had already tired of it enough that I just used cheat engine to avoid it. And if you don't cheat, you'll need to play through the game many times to see all the endings, and I can't imagine doing that mini-game that many times without going crazy.

The actual writing in the game is just fluff with a lot your typical harem elements, and the occasional excuse for a sex scene (or twenty of them).

was going to buy it...is the fluff at least good fluff and the h-scenes good enough? Would be a shame if not so since the art seemed nice.

To be fair...from these 2 pics, I could have never guessed how the gameplay was supposed to play like although I probably could have looked it up:

JAST006_6.jpg

JAST006_8.jpg

Marche90

I'm still playing through it, but so far I disagree with your opinion. Due to the holidays I hadn't been able to play anything of it until yesterday, and somehow, even with how sleepy I was, I ended up playing for 4 hours straight, and only stopped because I forced myself to. I found the dice and skill mechanics compelling, and learning the spells and doing the quests gives you that 'one more round' feeling that keeps you engaged.

The writting so far is innocent fluff, and I've been liking it, and regarding H scenes, I've only found two so far, and they are easily ignored and you won't miss anything importante if you skip them

My two cents, anyway

was going to buy it...is the fluff at least good fluff and the h-scenes good enough? Would be a shame if not so since the art seemed nice.

To be fair...from these 2 pics, I could have never guessed how the gameplay was supposed to play like although I probably could have looked it up:

The fluff is alright, I enjoyed it for a while, but ended up pretty tired of it by the end. Most of the characters are one-note and the same sort of jokes get repeated a lot. I skipped past the H scenes, so I can't really speak for their quality.

I'm still playing through it, but so far I disagree with your opinion. Due to the holidays I hadn't been able to play anything of it until yesterday, and somehow, even with how sleepy I was, I ended up playing for 4 hours straight, and only stopped because I forced myself to. I found the dice and skill mechanics compelling, and learning the spells and doing the quests gives you that 'one more round' feeling that keeps you engaged.

The writting so far is innocent fluff, and I've been liking it, and regarding H scenes, I've only found two so far, and they are easily ignored and you won't miss anything importante if you skip them

My two cents, anyway
The dice roll game didn't stay novel for very long with me. And it never changes, you get more spells, but it gets pretty tedious, especially with how much the higher level spells cost. You end up finding a good formula to earn spirit and just use the same pattern every time.

Josephl64

Alright, so far fluff seems okay, you two mixed on the dice gameplay, and nobody does the h.

I'm curious enough to maybe give it a go at a later date when I have some spare scratch.

The Ace Attorney games are considered VNs, right? I finally finished the first trilogy and I'm on the last case of Apollo Justice so I'm pretty excited to finally play a 3D AA game on the 3DS.

Apollo Justice has been okay so far. Pretty enjoyable. The slow text is still killing me though please for the love of god give me a fucking choice to not spend 10+ seconds in every 10-word textbox if I don't want to

Don't forget about the Edgeworth games, the first one sucks but the second one...oh lord the second one might as well be my favorite AA game.

aravuus

Don't forget about the Edgeworth games, the first one sucks but the second one...oh lord the second one might as well be my favorite AA game.

Probably gonna check them out after Dual Destinies as, afaik, they don't really have anything to do with DD. From what I read, pretty much only Apollo Justice has stuff that comes up in DD anyway. If the first one's so bad, could I just skip it and go for the sequel right away?

I'm halfway through the last case of AJ and dang okay this is getting real good. May end up being my favorite case in the series so far.

Probably gonna check them out after Dual Destinies as, afaik, they don't really have anything to do with DD. From what I read, pretty much only Apollo Justice has stuff that comes up in DD anyway. If the first one's so bad, could I just skip it and go for the sequel right away?

I'm halfway through the last case of AJ and dang okay this is getting real good. May end up being my favorite case in the series so far.

I wouldn't skip it, but it's your choice. There's still some character development and even if it's the weakest game of the series it's still good.

Best case is forever 3-5.

Problem with the text speed is that it's often used to help the narrative.
Some/many passages have those obligatory pauses to help to increase the weight of a scene( or the opposite )

part of the charm i guess

aravuus

Problem with the text speed is that it's often used to help the narrative.
Some/many passages have those obligatory pauses to help to increase the weight of a scene( or the opposite )

part of the charm i guess

Sure, and it works really well when there's a shocking twist or something similar

I'm willing to bet that at least 90% of the text could be super sped up and it wouldn't matter at all.

I just finished Time Hollow last year. It was alright. Story was.... not my favorite. If anything, what bugged me the most was how Konami gave everyone in the game western names :/ No real reason for it, and not like it was a game for kiddies. Doesn't happen that much anymore, but still bugs me that it's still done, just cause.

How far into Sweet Fuse did you get?

Time Hollow is pretty meh IMO. It's not horrible, but very middling, with an unsatisfying conclusion. Jake Hunter is pretty cool though, I wish they'd bring more of those over.

I have to admit I wasn't very far, I cleared the mansion
with the poison-statue
. I'm probably super unfair to SF and I'll get back to it later but I need something more AceAttorney-esque with a bit more gameplay right now (It's pretty dumb to "complain" about that in the VN-thread, totally agreed :p).

So, good that you enjoyed Jake Hunter. Shame about Time Hollow though, the premise seemed interesting and reminded me a bit of Shadow of Memories

Or I'll just import AA Investigations 2 and figure out how to apply the patch....hmmm...

Josephl64

I have to admit I wasn't very far, I cleared the mansion
with the poison-statue
. I'm probably super unfair to SF and I'll get back to it later but I need something more AceAttorney-esque with a bit more gameplay right now (It's pretty dumb to "complain" about that in the VN-thread, totally agreed :p).

It could just be that you're into VN hybrids like myself. Although my kind is VNs with a turn-based strategy element like Daiteitoku for instance. As long as you know what you're into, it should be easier to find stuff you like.

Top Bottom