• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Yay, got this in the mail today! I won't start it for a while, aiming to finish Steins;Gate in english first but still happy! Art book is great!

B6dumuwCQAE9jfT.jpg

aravuus

Ehh, this last case. It's been pretty intriguing so far, this whole phantom stuff especially is neat but what's really annoying me right now is how these people still mock Phoenix in the court. (AA5 spoilers)
Edgeworth and even fucking Apollo first go "man I really don't want to say but gee I think it's possible that she's the killer" and not even 10 seconds pass and they're all smug in Phoenix' face saying "YEA SHOW ME THE EVIDENCE SHE'S NOT THE KILLER!!!" I want to believe they're just trying to get him riled up so he'll dig harder for the truth, and I can probably forgive Apollo's part since his best friend died etc, but man this feels dumb right now.

Also it's gonna be a real fucking slap in the face if
Athena is in fact guilty of killing Apollo's buddy.

e: also this game overdoes the last millisecond objections. too many, they're starting to lose their impact, it's actually pretty easy to guess when one's coming.

e2: aa5 has probably the best judge's side comments though, they make me laugh every time

grim-tales

Ehh, this last case. It's been pretty intriguing so far, this whole phantom stuff especially is neat but what's really annoying me right now is how these people still mock Phoenix in the court. (AA5 spoilers)
Edgeworth and even fucking Apollo first go "man I really don't want to say but gee I think it's possible that she's the killer" and not even 10 seconds pass and they're all smug in Phoenix' face saying "YEA SHOW ME THE EVIDENCE SHE'S NOT THE KILLER!!!" I want to believe they're just trying to get him riled up so he'll dig harder for the truth, and I can probably forgive Apollo's part since his best friend died etc, but man this feels dumb right now.

Also it's gonna be a real fucking slap in the face if
Athena is in fact guilty of killing Apollo's buddy.

e: also this game overdoes the last millisecond objections. too many, they're starting to lose their impact, it's actually pretty easy to guess when one's coming.

e2: aa5 has probably the best judge's side comments though, they make me laugh every time

I think Phoenix is still mocked because he hasnt really been a lawyer for 8 years or whatever, quite a long time. I liked the Phantom stuff too :)[
I like Simon in this game, a great character and not a whiny b*tch like Fran was or smug like early Edgeworth. Having said that, I liked facing off against Edgeowrth again.

aravuus

I think Phoenix is still mocked because he hasnt really been a lawyer for 8 years or whatever, quite a long time. I liked the Phantom stuff too :)[
I like Simon in this game, a great character and not a whiny b*tch like Fran was or smug like early Edgeworth. Having said that, I liked facing off against Edgeowrth again.

Definitely, Simon was awesome!

So yeah, finished AA5. I'm not gonna deny it was a bit disappointing. Case 3 had an awesome setting and great characters, even though the plot was a bit boring. Case 5 dragged on for too long and the first half of the court was kind of stupid, but thankfully the villains shone in both cases. Especially
Phantom
, quite possibly my favorite bad guy so far in the series,
I really liked how his own face was never shown. Kind of a tragic villain, really.

3D graphics were fantastic, the anime cut scenes were really good and music was, while not nearly as good as the original trilogy's music, still very good.

Yeah, good game (great even?), even though I didn't really care for 3 of the 5 cases. Gonna start AAI1 tomorrow, I'm excited.

e: downloaded the dlc case too but eh, i'm gonna wait and do it later

e2: didn't realize the aai games are actual point-n-clicks. awesome!

Bricky

Well, I finished Remember11 today and I while I definitely understand how unsatisfying the end is to some (it leaves you with a bunch of important unexplained mysteries and a cliffhanger) it didn't bother me that much and hardly ruins the experience. Had a better time with it than Ever17 to be honest. The latter might have the better story/ending, but it's not even funny how much better the pacing in R11 is (and even further improved upon in 999 and VLR).

There is still alot of online research for me to do before I fully understand what happened, but let me get this straight (R11 Spoilers):
Since I guess the mysterious third personality were the babies, those infant twins murdered Enomoto and happily splashed around in its blood right? That is so fantastically fucked up,

Anyway, I don't think I'll play Never7 unless its sci-fi twist ending is really, really worth it. I can only handle so much dating simulator before my boredom outweighs my love for this kind of thriller/mystery VN.

Shizuka

What sort of VN is that? Sounds like a romance VN/slice of life perhaps but where everything is done very slowly?

I have no idea, I remember the first time I found this game was when Siliconera mentioned the japanese release last year.

I started playing Dangon Ronpa Trigger Happy Havoc and I'm really liking it. I should have played this a long time ago.

It's a great game, I'm sure you're in for a treat.

Marche90

Ok, after playing through a lot more of Romanesque, I've updated my feelings on the game.

At first I felt that it was decent, but the more I play, the more I like it... even if my strategy for the game portion is to just spam Dicere Herba and Celero for the first 4 turns and then use Invitatio and Aria's fireworks spell the 5th turn; In fact, this game easily reaches a 8.5/10 score with me. I just have one *tiiiny* issue with the game...

Unlocking Princess Fianna's route is a fucking Pain in the Ass.

You see, I've played the game three times already, and I have unlocked all the routes (that don't rely on the diplomas you get, for those I'm going to download a 100% save and read them on the gallery menu), except for hers. I don't know what I am doing wrong, but it's something that's really mining my enjoyment of the game at this stage, since it's the only thing that I'm missing so far. I've tried searching for clues on what you need to do to unlock her route, but my search has just hit a dead end.

If any kind soul here has played the game and know how to, I ask you to please share what I am supposed to do ;_;

Fianna's was the one route I couldn't unlock either. I couldn't figure out what I was missing. I eventually gave up and watched her epilogue on a 100% save.

Acosta

Completed the Fate route in Fate/Stay. Loved it, that ending was amazing.

Not sure what to do now, I have the anime (the second one), and if I'm not mistaken that's another route (Unlimited Blades?). Do some of you have experience with both?

Completed the Fate route in Fate/Stay. Loved it, that ending was amazing.

Not sure what to do now, I have the anime (the second one), and if I'm not mistaken that's another route (Unlimited Blades?). Do some of you have experience with both?

Read the Unlimited Blade Works route. The three routes in the FSN VN have to be read in a forced order. The ufotable FSN anime (the recent one) is an adaptation of UBW, but it won't be finished until the end of Spring.

Acosta

Read the Unlimited Blade Works route. The three routes in the FSN VN have to be read in a forced order. The ufotable FSN anime (the recent one) is an adaptation of UBW, but it won't be finished until the end of Spring.

Thanks! but it´s not the recent one I think, is Fate/Zero (so the recent one is UBW, I got that messed up).

Fate/Zero is other route?

Just found out that Air, Kanon and Little Busters! all have complete translations now. Guess I've been living under a rock all these years...

At least I can say the list is shaping up nicely! ^_^ 81 titles so far after your contributions!

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (DS)
999: The Novel (iPhone)
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (DS)
Ace Attorney Investigations 2: Miles Edgeworth (DS)
Again (DS)
Air (PC)
Another Code: R – A Journey into Lost Memories (Wii)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (DS)
Banshee's Last Cry (iPhone)
Case Closed (Wii)
Chaos;Head (PC)
Clannad (PC)
Corpse Party (PSP)
Corpse Party: Book of Shadows (PSP)
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita)
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (Vita)
EVE: Burst Error (PC)
Ever 17: The Out of Infinity (PC)
Famicom Tantei Club Part II (SNES)
Fate/hollow ataraxia (PC)
Fate/stay night (PC)
Hakuouki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom (PSP)
Hakuouki: Warriors of the Shinsengumi (PSP)
Hakuouki: Memories of the Shinsengumi (3DS)
Hakuouki: Stories of the Shinsengumi (PS3)
Hatoful Boyfriend (PC)
Higurashi: When They Cry (PC)
Hotel Dusk (DS)
Jake Hunter: Crash and Burn (iPhone)
Jake Hunter: Detective Chronicles (DS)
Jake Hunter: Memories of the Past (DS)
Jake Hunter: Seaside City Conspiracy (iPhone)
Katawa Shoujo (PC)
Kanon (PC)
Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (DS)
Layton Brothers: Mystery Room (Android, iPhone)
LifeSigns: Surgical Unit (DS)
Little Busters! (PC)
Love Hina (GBA)
Love Plus (DS)
Lux Pain (DS)
Never 7: The End of Infinity (PC)
Narcissu (PC)
Narcissu: Side 2nd (PC)
No, Thank You!!! (PC)
Phantasy Star Adventure (Game Gear)
Phantasy Star II Text Adventures (Mega Drive/Sega Genesis)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS, Wii, iPhone, 3DS)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (3DS, iPhone)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All (DS, Wii, iPhone, 3DS)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations (DS, Wii, iPhone, 3DS)
Planetarian: The Reverie of a Little Planet (iPhone)
Policenauts (Playstation)
Portpia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken (NES)
Princess Debut (DS)
Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (3DS)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS)
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (DS)
Professor Layton and the Last Specter (DS)
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (3DS)
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (DS)
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (3DS)
Radical Dreamers (SNES)
Remember 11: The Age of Infinity (PC)
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love (Wii, PS2)
Saya no Uta (PC)
Shinpi no Sekai El-Hazard (GBA)
Snatcher (Sega CD)
Steins;Gate (PC)
Sweet Fuse: At Your Side (PSP)
Theresia (DS)
Time Hollow (DS)
Tokimeki Memorial Girl’s Side: 1st Love (DS)
Tokimeki Memorial Girl’s Side: 2nd Kiss (DS)
Tokimeki Memorial Girl’s Side: 3rd Story (PSP)
Touch Detective (DS)
Touch Detective 2 ½ (DS)
Trace Memory (DS)
Umineko: When They Cry (PC)
XBLAZE: Code Embryo (Vita, PS3)
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (3DS, Vita)

I know I quotted a pretty old post, but I find it really funny that 999 and Zero Escape are at both the top and bottom of this list. Just funny seeing them all out like that. xD Wonder if Uchikoshi did that on purpose ;o

Thanks! but it´s not the recent one I think, is Fate/Zero (so the recent one is UBW, I got that messed up).

Fate/Zero is other route?

Fate/Zero is a prequel to FSN that was written after FSN. It's quite good, but if you are this deep in the VN, I'd probably watch it after finishing the VN.

Acosta

Fate/Zero is a prequel to FSN that was written after FSN. It's quite good, but if you are this deep in the VN, I'd probably watch it after finishing the VN.

Ah, perfect, thanks again.

Now to check if I can get the new route
without Ilya killing me :(

gokieks

The three routes are Fate -> Unlimited Blade Works -> Heaven's Feel.

Since you have to do them in order, you can just use a decision flow-chart to figure out how to move to each route w/o really spoiling anything.

Ah, perfect, thanks again.

Now to check if I can get the new route
without Ilya killing me :(

The three routes are Fate -> Unlimited Blade Works -> Heaven's Feel.

Since you have to do them in order, you can just use a decision flow-chart to figure out how to move to each route w/o really spoiling anything.

This is what I did, and while it's a great timesaver, part of me wishes I had explored on my own, because some of the Taiga Dojo are hilarious, and I think I only saw one my first time playing.

Acosta, finding your way into the different routes is actually quite easy compared to some other VNs. And keep in mind that UBW and HF have two endings each, so make sure you get them both (Fate only has one, so you haven't missed anything yet).

Knurek

Thinking of starting Umineko Chiru

One one hand thats 100+ hours of reading with (I heard) questionable payoff.
On the other Umineko ends on a terrible cliffhanger. Not sure if I can stomach another year of ignoring it...

On the other Umineko ends on a terrible cliffhanger. Not sure if I can stomach another year of ignoring it...

Well hey, at least the first episode of Chiru is the best one of em all :3

#teamep5

Yuuichi

VN GAF, Clannad kickstarter worth backing? Only about a day and half left, so will need to decide soon.

Assuming you already know you like the medium at least a little bit and have a lot of patience (not because the game is boring, because it's unbelievably long) and want to read arguably Maeda's best work overall, then probably?

Sekai's work is reputable at the very least if that's what you're worried about; the physical edition upgrade that they're doing for everyone is also a nice touch. If you're worried about bang for your buck, like I said, the game is crazy long. It took me over 50 hours to get to the second main section of the game last time at which point I actually dropped it because it was taking up too much of my time, but that's why I'm in for round two.

Dawg

Will Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters be any good?

And I'm still thinking about XBlaze. Would it be worth it to someone who hasn't played Blazblue games?

Assuming you already know you like the medium at least a little bit and have a lot of patience (not because the game is boring, because it's unbelievably long) and want to read arguably Maeda's best work overall, then probably?

Sekai's work is reputable at the very least if that's what you're worried about; the physical edition upgrade that they're doing for everyone is also a nice touch. If you're worried about bang for your buck, like I said, the game is crazy long. It took me over 50 hours to get to the second main section of the game last time at which point I actually dropped it because it was taking up too much of my time, but that's why I'm in for round two.
Ah will probably back it then, I'll probably go with a physical copy.
Ain't got a steam account anyway, don't hit me *hides*
Shame that any kickstarter I back with physical objects adds an extra $15 being in Europe and all =/

Thanks for the reply =)

Well hey, at least the first episode of Chiru is the best one of em all :3

#teamep5
Ep 5 & 8 are the best ones.

I think that the end is actually great ..
The pay-off is great if you actually don't go for the bad ending ..

CrovaxPSO

Famitsu's article on White Robe Love Addiction is online. Just a basic story overview for now with some art/screenshots of the main cast. April release for the Vita.

Anko

Yeah, seriously. Both quality releases from established studios as well.

I actually thought that was it for Kogado, what with the long silence after the previous White Robe pc port. I hope it does well. I know I'll grab at least two copies.

I loved the hospital work setting the first had. Such a breath of fresh air. The sequel goes back to a school but at least it's nursing school and not a regular one.

mStudios

Is there anything similar to 999, Zero Escape Last Reward?
i'd KILL for something similar.
If it doesnt exists. Any interactive visual novel out there for pc?

Sorry i'm dumb. Literally the first reply in this thread asks for the same.

My apologies.

Shizuka

My apologies.

Danganronpa.

My apologies.

If you want similarity in terms of plot, Ever17. Similarity in terms of exploration/logic puzzle gameplay, Hotel Dusk or Phoenix Wright.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Almost bought Sakura Spirit on Steam VN sale before I read it is only like 2hrs long, bullet dodged.

I did pick up World End Economica though.

Pezus

Just finished Saya no Uta and really liked it, it was basically my first visual novel. What should I play next?

I have Virtue's Last Reward on Vita but I stopped playing after ~3 hours for some reason. Maybe I should resume.

Also, are the Danganronpa good or really good?

Shizuka

Just finished Saya no Uta and really liked it, it was basically my first visual novel. What should I play next?

I have Virtue's Last Reward on Vita but I stopped playing after ~3 hours for some reason. Maybe I should resume.

Really good. Some of the best I've played in recent years.

Bricky

You're going to want to take my advice on this: if you have a (3)DS (or iOS device) play 999 before you continue playing VLR. You seem to enjoy visual novels and both Zero Escape games are must-plays in the genre, but you will forever regret finishing them in the wrong order. The second game spoils some major twists from the first game. The entire ending of 999, generally regarded as the best part of the game and perhaps one of the most mindblowingly awesome experiences in gaming, will be ruined for you by playing VLR first. This is a warning, go back while you still have the chance (first few hours of VLR should be spoiler-free). You will thank me later.

That said, if you don't have a (3)DS or iOS device go ahead and resume playing/reading VLR. You don't need to have read 999 to enjoy it as it is a great standalone experience.

But seriously, even if you don't own a DS consider borrowing one from friends or family to experience 999. It will be worth the trouble, I promise! ;-)

Danganronpa 1 is great, Danganronpa 2 is really great. Both are awesome experiences and fantastic visual novels for newcomers to the genre. I believe the first game is on sale on EU PSN right now, definitely worth buying if you like the premise and aesthetic.

Top Bottom