• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Bricky

I'm gonna be the contrairian here, DR1 is way better than 2. You should play them in order anyway.

True. Opinion on which is better seems to be split 50/50 though. I believe it to be a matter of preference since they're quite similar (aside from some small gameplay improvements in DR2).

Yaari

Also bought DR1 and DR2 (Thanks EU PS Sale).

But I've yet to complete VLR, and reading here I might as well try 999 on iOS. I have a 3DS also but it appears to be cheaper on iOS. Just wondering though, I'm seeing a 999: The Novel. Is that it?

Voliko

Well, I finished Remember11 today and I while I definitely understand how unsatisfying the end is to some (it leaves you with a bunch of important unexplained mysteries and a cliffhanger) it didn't bother me that much and hardly ruins the experience. Had a better time with it than Ever17 to be honest. The latter might have the better story/ending, but it's not even funny how much better the pacing in R11 is (and even further improved upon in 999 and VLR).

There is still alot of online research for me to do before I fully understand what happened, but let me get this straight (R11 Spoilers):
Since I guess the mysterious third personality were the babies, those infant twins murdered Enomoto and happily splashed around in its blood right? That is so fantastically fucked up,

Anyway, I don't think I'll play Never7 unless its sci-fi twist ending is really, really worth it. I can only handle so much dating simulator before my boredom outweighs my love for this kind of thriller/mystery VN.
Just finished this one... Yeah a lot of crazy stuff happened in this game, maybe even too much haha. The pacing in this is so much better than Ever17 it is ridiculous. The survival aspect of the first chapter is great. Too many things were left unexplained but I still need to get the rest of the (bad) endings and TIPs and research online of course. There was a lot to take in from this story. One thing that I don't get is
why did Enomoto leave out the 3rd location and "alpha" from his explanation to Satoru?

Honestly I still think my favorite of the translated Infinity games is Never7. The sci-fi isn't contained in a single ending twist. I loved the island setting and vacation feel. It's definitely more relaxed than something like R11. R11 felt very
confined by being stuck in the cabin and SPHIA, but I guess that's the point.
Ever17 has the highest highs of the series but overall it's lacking.

I can't wait for Lemnisca's translation of 12Riven.

Oh and the TIP showing when all the Infinity games up to that point came out that said "the infinity series will go on forever" made me sad.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
What visual novels in that sale would you recommend to me? I'm a big fan of 999, VLR (currently in the middle of), DR, playing DR2 next...

I enjoyed analogue: a hate story for what it's worth.

Wichu

Also bought DR1 and DR2 (Thanks EU PS Sale).

But I've yet to complete VLR, and reading here I might as well try 999 on iOS. I have a 3DS also but it appears to be cheaper on iOS. Just wondering though, I'm seeing a 999: The Novel. Is that it?

Yep, it's 999: The Novel on iOS. The iOS version doesn't have any puzzles - it's a straight VN. I think it also has the flowchart system from VLR that means you never have to replay parts you've already done (you can fast-forward through them on the DS version, though).

The DS version has a really neat use of the dual screens at one point - for me, that was probably the best scene in the game (and obviously doesn't work the same way on iOS) - and the puzzles are fun (though do get slightly annoying once you start replaying to get more endings), so I'm strongly biased towards that version.

Yaari

Yep, it's 999: The Novel on iOS. The iOS version doesn't have any puzzles - it's a straight VN. I think it also has the flowchart system from VLR that means you never have to replay parts you've already done (you can fast-forward through them on the DS version, though).

The DS version has a really neat use of the dual screens at one point - for me, that was probably the best scene in the game (and obviously doesn't work the same way on iOS) - and the puzzles are fun (though do get slightly annoying once you start replaying to get more endings), so I'm strongly biased towards that version.

Okay, thanks. Probably going for the DS version then. I can get it fairly cheap from VideoGamesPlus apparently.

Marche90

Why does Steam decides to have a sale when I am completely penniless? ;_;

Fianna's was the one route I couldn't unlock either. I couldn't figure out what I was missing. I eventually gave up and watched her epilogue on a 100% save.

Ok, this is stupid. Finally managed to find out what the hell you're supposed to do to unlock it. For whoever else is having troubles with this:

Just don't do neither the Hunting Grounds nor the Find a Dress! quests. Do the rest of the quests regarding the Roshtari ruins and Fianna and for good measure use Tillet as a teacher once.

*facepalm*

Bricky

Too many things were left unexplained but I still need to get the rest of the (bad) endings and TIPs and research online of course.

I would indeed recommend getting all the bad endings and TIPS first (was too lazy to do so myself, but both contain essential elements to understanding the story). Once you've finished or get bored doing that, go to this website. It does a pretty good job explaining everything you probably can't figure out on your own. It is translated from some Japanese resource and sadly incomplete, but what is there really helped me understand the story and especially how it fits into the Infinity franchise.

The game is incomplete though (a third route was scrapped due to budget concerns), so don't expect everything in the game to become perfectly clear.

One thing that I don't get is
why did Enomoto leave out the 3rd location and "alpha" from his explanation to Satoru?

There is a theory on the website I mentioned earlier that would explain this.
Basically, Enomoto is trying to trap you, the player and 0th dimensional being, in an Infinity loop. He probably intentionally doesn't explain those things to keep you guessing and replaying the events on Mount Akakura and Aosagi island (basically, what you're doing right now. These games are meta as fuck).

Honestly I still think my favorite of the translated Infinity games is Never7. The sci-fi isn't contained in a single ending twist. I loved the island setting and vacation feel. It's definitely more relaxed than something like R11.

Is it still worth playing having already finished Ever17 and Remember11 though? I'm simply afraid of being extremely disappointed by a narrative too samey to the sci-fi story in the other Infinity games.

Voliko

I would indeed recommend getting all the bad endings and TIPS first (was too lazy to do so myself, but both contain essential elements to understanding the story). Once you've finished or get bored doing that, go to this website. It does a pretty good job explaining everything you probably can't figure out on your own. It is translated from some Japanese resource and sadly incomplete, but what is there really helped me understand the story and especially how it fits into the Infinity franchise.

The game is incomplete though (a third route was scrapped due to budget concerns), so don't expect everything in the game to become perfectly clear.
Thanks, I'm also going to checkout the series timeline that was included in the Never7 patch.

And wow, I can't even imagine what a 3rd route would have been like.
I'm guessing that must be why Hotori's unused portrait is in the credits.

There is a theory on the website I mentioned earlier that would explain this.
Basically, Enomoto is trying to trap you, the player and 0th dimensional being, in an Infinity loop. He probably intentionally doesn't explain those things to keep you guessing and replaying the events on Mount Akakura and Aosagi island (basically, what you're doing right now. These games are meta as fuck).
Damn. R11 and Ever17 spoilers
Now that it's mentioned, I do remember Enomoto mentioning the 0th dimensional being. Very similar to Ever17 in that regard, manipulating the actual player. Can any other medium get so meta? I love that.

Is it still worth playing having already finished Ever17 and Remember11 though? I'm simply afraid of being extremely disappointed by a narrative too samey to the sci-fi story in the other Infinity games.

Hmm, I'd say it sets itself apart from R11 and Ever17. I had played Ever17 before playing Never7. While it obviously shares a few common themes with the other games I feel like it has it's own unique identity and premise. I can't really say anything without spoiling parts of the story unfortunately. I think it's worth a look if you enjoyed R11 and Ever17.

There's a certain sense of mystery and unease throughout the game from the very beginning, just to dispel anymore thoughts that it is a dating sim :)

Jazz573

Just wanted to join the Remember11 discussion, since I also just finished the game. I read through the translated site, but after reading it I still feel I need to see all the endings and get all of the TIPS. I have a related question though.

Is there a guide anywhere on how to get all of the endings? I Google translated the original untranslated website you provided and I did find a guide to the endings, and it looks like it might be easy enough to follow, but it would be nice to have an English resource.

I'm gonna be the contrairian here, DR1 is way better than 2. You should play them in order anyway.
I'd agree that the first game is significantly better.
True. Opinion on which is better seems to be split 50/50 though. I believe it to be a matter of preference since they're quite similar (aside from some small gameplay improvements in DR2).

But the gameplay is worse in DR2. They made the mini-games more tedious.

Why does Steam decides to have a sale when I am completely penniless? ;_;

Ok, this is stupid. Finally managed to find out what the hell you're supposed to do to unlock it. For whoever else is having troubles with this:

Just don't do neither the Hunting Grounds nor the Find a Dress! quests. Do the rest of the quests regarding the Roshtari ruins and Fianna and for good measure use Tillet as a teacher once.

*facepalm*
Well that's completely arbitrary. I would never have figured that out.

Voliko

Just wanted to join the Remember11 discussion, since I also just finished the game. I read through the translated site, but after reading it I still feel I need to see all the endings and get all of the TIPS. I have a related question though.

Is there a guide anywhere on how to get all of the endings? I Google translated the original untranslated website you provided and I did find a guide to the endings, and it looks like it might be easy enough to follow, but it would be nice to have an English resource.
I couldn't resist so I read the website... And wow, almost all of this went over my head when playing the game. R11 and Ever17 spoilers-
I had no idea the player was involved but the evidence on that site is rock solid. The amount of little details is pretty crazy. I brushed off the 0th dimensional being and "That guy" talk in the game because I honestly didn't expect them to involve the player again after Ever17. The player killing Sayaka's personality at the beginning of the game because they thought she was Inubushi is just nuts. I can't help but feel that it's a bit... "convenient" though. The game definitely could have used that third route, no doubt.

Sekai Project has just mentioned that the physical version of Clannad (at least from the Kickstarter) will not be tied to Steam.

It is completely standalone.

Quixzlizx

What visual novels in that sale would you recommend to me? I'm a big fan of 999, VLR (currently in the middle of), DR, playing DR2 next...

I really enjoyed Planetarian, but just to warn you, it's a kinetic novel, which means there's no gameplay (no puzzles or dialogue choices). You're basically just reading a story with pictures and voices. A touching story with impressive world-building, in my opinion.

Pedersen

I hate myself over stopping playing Remember 11 maybe half way through. Really want to finish it, but now I think I've forgot just enough crucial story points that I have to start over again. To bad I have 50 other games i haven't finished yet... :(

Hey guys! For like the 3 people out there that are also into otome visual novels, the English patch for Dot Kareshi is out! I haven't tried it myself yet, but just giving you all a heads up. :) The post says that the second and third parts to the game will be released in the same month.

I also hear that these translators are looking into Ken ga Kimi, another otome visual novel.

So , for some reason , i had a package i had to redeem at my local postal service.. and it wasn't the game i thought it was , it was "Cho dengenki striker"

I actually had the Dengeki striker already finished so i bought that one once the psysical copy was available. and with a certain surprise by how the case also had a STEAM KEY Code for the all-ages version.

If it was advertised i had completly forgot about it too !!

Ah so many Vns , so little time !!

*Still wonders how the Cho dengeki plot can get more crazy than the original with the twists..

Astarte

After that 999/VLR thread where a healthy amount of criticism of VLR was had, I decided to play Ever17. If I had one hundred million M Night Shymalan reaction images it would not equate to how I'm feeling right now. My experience equated to me thinking of the writer's smug face slowly rising up through each ending and fully appearing in the middle of the screen after the true ending.

0AofGnu.jpg

This smug face. This smug fucking face.

upandaway

I couldn't resist so I read the website... And wow, almost all of this went over my head when playing the game. R11 and Ever17 spoilers-
I had no idea the player was involved but the evidence on that site is rock solid. The amount of little details is pretty crazy. I brushed off the 0th dimensional being and "That guy" talk in the game because I honestly didn't expect them to involve the player again after Ever17. The player killing Sayaka's personality at the beginning of the game because they thought she was Inubushi is just nuts. I can't help but feel that it's a bit... "convenient" though. The game definitely could have used that third route, no doubt.
I feel like, if we can equate it to Ever17, what we got in R11 was equivalent to everything up to and including the explanation flashback in the Coco route, as in, it explains all the big twists and the general outline of what really happened, but the actual actions and resolution to the story come afterwards. I guess this is what a third route would have entailed, sort of bringing another Blick Winkel into it to really reveal all of the things explained in the site and settle a good ending.

Pretty much everything in the site went over my head too

Didn't know that.. i guess i need to follow them on twitter too , then .

Waiting for the PS4 port. ( it's going to happen, no doubt in my mind )

Ah. T'is a shame. Played, it. Yeah it's OK. Nothing special though the Positive/Negative mechanic makes for good multiple playthroughs.

Just ordered Steins;Gate. I've heard good things about it, but this'll be my first VN that isn't on a handheld (not that I've played many to begin with).

Also got the PW Trilogy, but that's more of a replay thing since I already have physical copies complete of those.

damekoiefqwi.jpg

Just finished an older classic I always wanted to read: Sekai de ichiban dame na koi.

What makes Damekoi great is the protag, a 28 years old, extremely unlucky salaryman named Osamu. His wife divorced him, his company fired him to cover up some shady business but hey, he meets a nice beautiful woman who is the landlord of an apartment house and gives him a reason to keep on living. So things get really awkward when he decides to show up at the apartment house to confess his feelings, only to be greeted by Mitoko, the daughter of this woman, who tells him that her mother eloped with some dude.

The story is all about the growing bond between Osamu and poor Mitoko, a girl left behind by her mother who has to manage school, the apartment house and property taxes she can't pay because the tenants are lovable but lazy slobs who barely pay rent. It's a very down-to-earth story with drama that is mostly realistic and exciting to follow because the relationships are believable and the characters sympathetic, so you start rooting for the happiness of everyone involved.

And while Osamu might me a wuss, he's a grown-up wuss (and not clueless high-school protag No.4992). This is reflected in the way he resolves problems and his general outlook on life. Refreshing protag and a refreshing setting ( I don't think there are too many eroge that have the protags ex-wife as a heroine) make this a really good read. Kind of feels like a well done seinen slice-of-life manga.

Yaari

I wonder how VN's based would run on a Windows based tablet. Reading on my Desktop PC isn't really too comfortable. They don't seem too demanding to play.

Marche90

装甲悪鬼村正;146821931 said:
damekoiefqwi.jpg

Just finished an older classic I always wanted to read: Sekai de ichiban dame na koi.

Well, this sounds really interesting. The description you gave it makes it sound like a VN that would be worth reading; shame it's not translated, though.

I wonder how VN's based would run on a Windows based tablet. Reading on my Desktop PC isn't really too comfortable. They don't seem too demanding to play.

Any recent Win8.1 tablet will be fine to read them. Seeing how even the Stream 7 (1.33 quad core processor, 1 gb of ram) is even able to run games like Skyrim, I think you will be fine

Yuuichi

They would run fine because like you said most aren't resource intensive.

I bought an Asus Vivo note 8 specifically for this, works great with brand new stuff, but haven't tried anything from light thought because they use so much resource intensive stuff.

Also Damekoi looks really interesting, it's somewhere on the to play list now.

Jazz573

Almost finished Remember11. Just got a few more bad endings left and I'll be done!

After I finish Remember11, I'm planning on playing Fate/stay Night. I've been looking forward to playing it for a while, so I can't wait to finally play it. Btw, does anyone know if F/SN is available anywhere as a digital purchase?

soc

Almost finished Remember11. Just got a few more bad endings left and I'll be done!

After I finish Remember11, I'm planning on playing Fate/stay Night. I've been looking forward to playing it for a while, so I can't wait to finally play it. Btw, does anyone know if F/SN is available anywhere as a digital purchase?

The only place I'm aware of is Japanese PSN for Vita, with iOS and Android still in development. The three Realta Nua routes were available digitally for PC on Amazon, but they don't seem to be purchasable anymore.

Jazz573

Finally finished Remember11, as well as the Infinity series in general. Of the three games I would say that this is my favourite of the series.

Remember11 is the fifth VN I have finished and I don't plan to stop anytime soon. My current plan is to play Fate/stay Night, but after that I'm not sure just yet.

I've heard that there are a lot of bad endings in F/SN. There is a lot I don't know about, so if anyone here who has played it before has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

A question about Never7 related to the very ending, vague Remember11 spoilers

I don't understand what was the "sci-fi twist". Unlike Remember11, it doesn't even feel like there is any sort of mystery left open for you to ponder on. Is the mention of Curé the twist? I honestly do not see why that is, nor do I see why Yuka Curé is named as such.

Edit: This is a great thread, I'd also like to say that Virtue's Last Reward is my favorite game of all time.

Yuuichi

Can you guess what mine is referring to? o:

Based on what I know about the game from minor spoilers and not having played it, it's referring to 999. Seems kind of obvious for some reason, so I'm probably wrong.

Now if anyone knows mine, I'll be seriously impressed. It's probably too common to be guessable.

jzbluz

Some VN either don't control well in my windows tablet (dotkare, coot) or won't even install (dmmd, SKS). Sucks.

装甲悪鬼村正;146821931 said:
damekoiefqwi.jpg

What makes Damekoi great is the protag, a 28 years old, extremely unlucky salaryman named Osamu. His wife divorced him, his company fired him to cover up some shady business but hey, he meets a nice beautiful woman who is the landlord of an apartment house and gives him a reason to keep on living. So things get really awkward when he decides to show up at the apartment house to confess his feelings, only to be greeted by Mitoko, the daughter of this woman, who tells him that her mother eloped with some dude.

The story is all about the growing bond between Osamu and poor Mitoko, a girl left behind by her mother who has to manage school, the apartment house and property taxes she can't pay because the tenants are lovable but lazy slobs who barely pay rent. It's a very down-to-earth story with drama that is mostly realistic and exciting to follow because the relationships are believable and the characters sympathetic, so you start rooting for the happiness of everyone involved.

And while Osamu might me a wuss, he's a grown-up wuss (and not clueless high-school protag No.4992). This is reflected in the way he resolves problems and his general outlook on life. Refreshing protag and a refreshing setting ( I don't think there are too many eroge that have the protags ex-wife as a heroine) make this a really good read. Kind of feels like a well done seinen slice-of-life manga.

Gonna play this soon myself. The relationships and drama being down to earth is pretty important for me. I'm in the mood for some genuine relationships and character development over the more forced and over the top stuff

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Based on what I know about the game from minor spoilers and not having played it, it's referring to 999. Seems kind of obvious for some reason, so I'm probably wrong.

Now if anyone knows mine, I'll be seriously impressed. It's probably too common to be guessable.

Nope wrong! I've had this name longer than 999 has existed. lol

Top Bottom