• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Knurek

Man, Apollo Justice was great. Can't wait to start Dual Destinies, well.. Right now

Biggest disappointment of 2014 for me.
Coming to the drag that was Dual Destinies straight from the masterpiece that was Edgeworth 2 might've skewered my expectations a bit.
Still, I'd say AA5 is even worse than AA2 and Edgeworth1. :\

Aizo

Banned
My girlfriend and I were playing our Vitas together last night, and while checking if playstation plus had updated yet, Danganronpa 1 • 2 Reload showed on my girlfriend's list of free games. Did this happen to anyone else? It must have been a glitch, because I tried to go to the page immediately, but it was already gone. I'm hoping this means it will be on the free play games this month... I wanted it :(

aravuus

Coming to the drag that was Dual Destinies straight from the masterpiece that was Edgeworth 2 might've skewered my expectations a bit.

Really? That's a shame

Well, like I said, I'm leaving the apparently fantastic Edgeworth 2 for the last AA game so even if DD disappoints me, I'm sure I'll leave the series with a positive taste in my mouth.

I remember quite liking AA2, though.

0ec5e0a133c13c24c5277ffdea02654a_large.jpg

IS COMING! Haven't finished milestone one yet but I like it thus far. Going to finish it up this week.

I have to admit I wasn't very far, I cleared the mansion
with the poison-statue
. I'm probably super unfair to SF and I'll get back to it later but I need something more AceAttorney-esque with a bit more gameplay right now (It's pretty dumb to "complain" about that in the VN-thread, totally agreed :p).

So, good that you enjoyed Jake Hunter. Shame about Time Hollow though, the premise seemed interesting and reminded me a bit of Shadow of Memories

Or I'll just import AA Investigations 2 and figure out how to apply the patch....hmmm...
Sweet Fuse is definitely lots of reading. The story itself is pretty standard, but the cast is pretty awesome. I hope you do give it another shot.

AAI2 is quite amazing BTW.

aravuus

Geez these AA gimmicks. Noise levels and some kind of emotion sensors? Eehhh... I've always been fine with psyche locks, but I had some problems with Apollo's power.

Well, as long as this emotion sensing shite is only used to make people talk, not as some kind of evidence I suppose I'll just deal with it.

e: the anime cut scenes have been awesome so far though

e2: professor layton vs phoenix wright worth playing if i generally enjoy pl for the puzzles and aa for the characters and story?

It could just be that you're into VN hybrids like myself. Although my kind is VNs with a turn-based strategy element like Daiteitoku for instance. As long as you know what you're into, it should be easier to find stuff you like.

I still have to figure that out. I don't think I dislike purely textbased VN per se, I just wasn't in the right mood for the things Sweet Fuse set out to do (and does well according to the people who played through it).

I think I'll just get it over with and import Investigations 2. Dai Gyakuten Saiban is still so far away (If we'll get it at all...)

Edit: ^ Yes, Layton vs. Ace Attorney is great. It is a Layton game at heart and pulls some explanations for the mysteries straight out of it's asshole (like all Laytons), but the game is fantastic. The soundtrack and visuals blow even Dual Destinies out of the water.

Edit 2 : I'm blind ....<.<
Sweet Fuse is definitely lots of reading. The story itself is pretty standard, but the cast is pretty awesome. I hope you do give it another shot.

AAI2 is quite amazing BTW.

Great to hear ! The lost child of the AA family *sniff*

aravuus

Edit: ^ Yes, Layton vs. Ace Attorney is great. It is a Layton game at heart and pulls some explanations for the mysteries straight out of it's asshole (like all Laytons), but the game is fantastic. The soundtrack and visuals blow even Dual Destinies out of the water.

Nice, I'll check it out after DD and the AAI games. 45 euros in the eshop though, blegh.. So expensive.

I always found Apollo's Perceive power harder than the Psyche Locks TBH...
How far are you into DD, Muntu?

Just finished the first case. The ridiculously, stupidly easy first case, if I may add.

Obviously the first cases are always easy, and I don't really remember much of the first trilogy, but damn, this might be the easiest of them all.

e: and yeah perceiving got really hard towards the end

Knurek

Just finished the first case. The ridiculously, stupidly easy first case, if I may add.

Obviously the first cases are always easy, and I don't really remember much of the first trilogy, but damn, this might be the easiest of them all.

It's the hardest from the game, I think.
Every other case you get the solution pretty much spoiled by your annoying sidekick.
Awkward Zombie sums up the game the best:
comic334.png

aravuus

Every other case you get the solution pretty much spoiled by your annoying sidekick.
comic334.png

Wow, this is.. Not very promising. Well, I paid money for it and I've loved the games so far so I'll trudge through the snail-paced text boxes at least once.

grim-tales

Personally I found it quite annoying how your practically hand-held and babied through the game for most of it. Its a shame as the stories were good.
Even though DD is really Athena's story in the end we learn next to nothing about Apollo

upandaway

comic334.png
Hahaha yeah, I felt the same way. The hints are fierce in this game.

Still, I can't say that the solution was spoiled by my sidekick. My experience was pretty much the comic - first I figured it out, and then the hints came in. And even then, some twists still surprised me on the moment of reveal.

Having such obvious hints come along makes it a bit less satisfying to blow everyone away with a piece of evidence, sure, but the game didn't really lead my way of thinking, it just came in at the last second after I arrived at the conclusion myself. I'm often surprised by a twist even when I conjure it in my own head (dunno how this happens) so I enjoyed it all the same.

Hope you have fun with it Muntu-man

e2: professor layton vs phoenix wright worth playing if i generally enjoy pl for the puzzles and aa for the characters and story?
You should go into PLvsPW expecting a Layton game pretty much. Half of it has court gameplay, but it's a Layton game all the same.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Really? I remember clearing AA5 maybe a month after Edgeworth 2 and thought that it's much better. Story in the latter felt like it was dragging for too long near the end.

Shengar

Really? That's a shame

Well, like I said, I'm leaving the apparently fantastic Edgeworth 2 for the last AA game so even if DD disappoints me, I'm sure I'll leave the series with a positive taste in my mouth.

I remember quite liking AA2, though.

I guess the overall experience depends on the people expectation when they approach AA5.
I was quite satisfied with the overall of the game, but with how the game ended, I'm not liking it at all which makes AA5 is worse than AA4 for me.

Bricky

So I've been playing Remember11 for the first time over the last two weeks and I'm getting pretty close to the (supposedly horrible) ending.

Even though I've played both Zero Escape games and Ever17 and anticipated some crazy twists and turns while playing this VN the
quantum teleportation reveal
is something I didn't see coming. I was fully prepared for some batshit insane twist from Kotaro Uchikoshi to explain the scenario presented in the game, I already had some theories myself
(Example: I expected everyone in the game to somehow be a DID personality within Inubushi)
, but the truth completely baffled me. The man is a genius and I love how he always makes the sci-fi stories he writes sound completely plausible no matter how improbable they are.

upandaway

So I've been playing Remember11 for the first time over the last two weeks and I'm getting pretty close to the (supposedly horrible) ending.

Even though I've played both Zero Escape games and Ever17 and anticipated some crazy twists and turns while playing this VN the
quantum teleportation reveal
is something I didn't see coming. I was fully prepared for some batshit insane twist from Kotaro Uchikoshi to explain the scenario presented in the game, I already had some theories myself
(Example: I expected everyone in the game to somehow be a DID personality within Inubushi)
, but the truth completely baffled me. The man is a genius and I love how he always makes the sci-fi stories he writes sound completely plausible no matter how improbable they are.
I was prepared for R11 to reveal nothing and leave me mystified (because that's what everyone said about it) so some of those twists blew me away. The
slow burn snowstorm survival
of the first route was an experience too.

It's definitely the most unique of the Uchikoshi VNs I played

Really? I remember clearing AA5 maybe a month after Edgeworth 2 and thought that it's much better. Story in the latter felt like it was dragging for too long near the end.

That's a complain for the first edgeworth ..
In 2 that was blend of several clues from various games that were answered with a vilain that let's face it we didn't see coming. That's why it was fine.
In 1 , we had the "ambassador" door that remained shut for god knows long with so many objections i've lost count .AAI2 was a breath of fresh air.

AA5 might have the same aspect/feelign if the characters were stronger. i loved it . But some cases , like the youkai village went for way too long. And don't get me started on the third case , were it has so many shallow twists it lost my interest.Not to mention that the only way to clear those hurdles was some munbo jumbo based on memories and emotions.

Don't get me wrong , athena power is really cool ( i like it better than appollo ) but case 2 & 3 are reallly putting the game down in my mind. By contrast , AAI2 was consistent in the fact that each case to the next . it felt that it had more "meat"

However i must admit that the case 4 & 5 in AA5 was very good ..this was a great pay-off . The middle of AA5 is what drag it down IMO.

----------
I have to say congratulations to how the Nekopara Thread was terminated /s
This is sarcasm but sometimes some people just have to let go, dammit.

aravuus

However i must admit that the case 4 & 5 in AA5 was very good ..this was a great pay-off . The middle of AA5 is what drag it down IMO.

I sure hope this is how I'll feel too, cause cases 1 & 2 were really boring and case 3 hasn't been very interesting either so far (though I'm still on day 1). Yay for prosecutor Gavin's return though, probably my fav prosecutor after Edgeworth in the series and all in all a very likeable character.

If I continue on this pace, I may be able to finish the whole series (AA5 + AAI1 & AAI2) by the time uni resumes on the 12th.

I sure hope this is how I'll feel too, cause cases 1 & 2 were really boring and case 3 hasn't been very interesting either so far (though I'm still on day 1). Yay for prosecutor Gavin's return though, probably my fav prosecutor after Edgeworth in the series and all in all a very likeable character.

If I continue on this pace, I may be able to finish the whole series (AA5 + AAI1 & AAI2) by the time uni resumes on the 12th.
The logic that is required in the middle of case 3 broke me, It's even a shame since i liked the start of the case , it had such potential.

Have you played XBlaze already?

Finished 2 routes of Xblaze , i like the characters , except the Main character. Even is best friend Akira is miles better. All the girls Are Grade A+ material , even if the tsundere level is high in some cases.

Xblaze so far is really fun to read , thanks to the blazblue continuity. . So far i'm liking it.

Finished 2 routes of Xblaze , i like the characters , except the Main character. Even is best friend Akira is miles better. All the girls Are Grade A+ material , even if the tsundere level is high in some cases.

Xblaze so far is really fun to read , thanks to the blazblue continuity. . So far i'm liking it.

The main character never gets any better. The whole dialogue only, no prose approach doesn't do him any favors either.

Josephl64

I feel bad for saying that I've never played an Ace Attorney game...then again I've never seen one in a store, only friends playing them

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I feel bad for saying that I've never played an Ace Attorney game...then again I've never seen one in a store, only friends playing them

They've been sitting on my "to do" pile, but I do own them all, just haven't even touched them >_> So many games, so little time is my problem :/

Li Kao

Hey, it just hit me ! Does any of you have experienced streaming a VN to a tablet ? I don't know, my first VN foray was stopped when I realized the amount of time I would have to dedicate to read a ton of text on my desktop, maybe the tablet in bed approach could be interesting ?

Yasumi

Banned
No, but I heard bad things about it ;-;

Looking forward to Steins;Gate this year tho ;-;
It's not bad per say, it's just very entry-level high school shonen-wannabe-seinen, and the main character is disgustingly timid. The Toi system is pretty cool, I love how visually dynamic everything is, the writing's solid, and some of the other characters are decent.

Sitrus

Hey, it just hit me ! Does any of you have experienced streaming a VN to a tablet ? I don't know, my first VN foray was stopped when I realized the amount of time I would have to dedicate to read a ton of text on my desktop, maybe the tablet in bed approach could be interesting ?

Splashtop is a great one since it has decent support for media. It´s one of the faster ones you can try. Fullscreen is a hit or miss, depends on the game.

Nothing beats a windows tablet pc though :)

Yuuichi

Splashtop is a great one since it has decent support for media. It´s one of the faster ones you can try. Fullscreen is a hit or miss, depends on the game.

Nothing beats a windows tablet pc though :)

I'm going to agree with this or say try google remote desktop.

And if you're interested in the tablet method, I actually bought one of these just for playing VNs. It's amazing and can run everything I've thrown at it no problem.

Akibared

I finally got around to playing Steins Gate I've gotten 2 endings so far! Nothing has topped Muv Luv Alternative for me in the amount of despair I feel but this is pretty close.

I was thinking of getting Steins Gate on PC but should I skip that and wait for the Vita version?
It really depends on how you like to play. The PC version is only marginally higher resolution than the Vita version, and the Vita version has PSN trophies. Otherwise, the two versions should be fundamentally the same other than the portability factor.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Damn i wish i knew.

I will probably jump when they decide to sell the extra psysical copies on their website or whatever

Yeah now I'm disappointed. I only didn't get it since it said "Japanese copy". Soo yeah kind of didn't even work as advertised. I want to send them an email or something.

Josephl64

Right, I opted for the JP ver for my own studies...I wonder if when we can ask to purchase extras...although I bet that ship has already sailed

aravuus

Okay I have to say, I really enjoyed the third case of AA5. Character or story-wise I honestly only disliked Athena's
short heroic bsod
which felt a bit out of place in an AA game, and the killer's
super comical, I guess you could call it defeat animation, where he kept writing stupid shit like "bathroom break" etc on his chalkboard. Victory didn't feel as good as it usually does since he just acted like a clown.

But other than that, I really liked it. The trio's friendship scene in the court was super heartwarming and particularly, the killer was really memorable and particularly Myriam and Robin stood out as really likeable side characters.

Pretty excited to continue on to the next case but I think I better sleep first, it's already 5am.

Top Bottom