• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

_Ryo_

Is this something that's been hinted at, or just something we all desperately want?

I don't think it's been hinted at and 4LS are extremely against anyone implementing it on their own as their license for Katawa Shoujo explicitly forbids any derivative works including expansions and fan made sequels even when they're based on official works from 4LS. They've been pretty vocal about it on their forums and through reddit, I believe.

They did release a script for the route, which you can download through their website. They mentioned that had absolutely no intent or plans to integrate it into the game.

Marche90

I guess the best anyone can hope for is an anonymous fan release. Pretty sure the devs would be very pissed off about that but it's not like they can do anything preventing a stealth release in that way.

Of course, that would need that someone was actually working on that

The engine sucks. It does that even on my gaming PC. Apparently there were limitations that prevented MangaGamer from porting over to their Unity engine and they had to use Moonstone's crappy one.

*groan*
At least it's playable, I guess.
By the way, any idea how has it been selling so far, at least in Steam? (pretty sure we still don't have any official numbers). In my country the game currently sits at the #226 position, which is... quite bad, I think.

Quixzlizx

I guess the best anyone can hope for is an anonymous fan release. Pretty sure the devs would be very pissed off about that but it's not like they can do anything preventing a stealth release in that way.

Of course, that would need that someone was actually working on that

*groan*
At least it's playable, I guess.
By the way, any idea how has it been selling so far, at least in Steam? (pretty sure we still don't have any official numbers). In my country the game currently sits at the #226 position, which is... quite bad, I think.

The all-time peak in the US is 60 players so far, lol.

In comparison, Nekopara's all-time peak is 331, but that game had a bunch of bizarre Twitch coverage to get its name out there.

Marche90

Hmmm... wish we could see the Steam charts for any coutry. Oh, well, someone's bound to ask MG in their ask.fm account before long.

Man, I hope this game does well. I've heard that the license was somewhat expensive, but more than that, I really want the fandisk. I mean, not having a route for Ruriko here? Geez...

Hmmm... wish we could see the Steam charts for any coutry. Oh, well, someone's bound to ask MG in their ask.fm account before long.

Man, I hope this game does well. I've heard that the license was somewhat expensive, but more than that, I really want the fandisk. I mean, not having a route for Ruriko here? Geez...

It does feel like routes were cut that should be in, certain characters that are really prominent in the common route. Though the VN does seem really long so far.

blacksark

Short Aksys teaser update/summary:

No change today => good news, means the counter is not going: 3 days - 1 week - 3 days - 1 week…

It started as 0303[03] => changed after 3 days to 0302 = > then after a week to 0301

Weekly updates seem very likely (feels like going on “4infinity.∞“ ), we’ll know by 16.15 EST this Friday.

If the teaser site is still up after April 1st, we can eliminate the idea of this being the most cruel April fools prank ever perpetrated on mankind

After that, it’s either: 03(months)03(weeks)03(days) OR (0303weeks)03(days). We’ll know Friday after next, depending on the change of the counter. If it's the latter, digital roots idea seems likely.

Conclusion: It’s still a marathon, but not as obtuse as when it started (pictures A and B are useless). We correctly predicted the last change, if it works again then all that's left for us to do is wait.
I believe that we may have something this friday (0300) could mean 0 escape, we should watch that this friday, also it will be april 3rd.

takoyaki

Now you've done it. My brain is telling me nothing will happen on Friday, but my heart is telling me something might happen.

Choo! Choo!

Nope, let's not do it again :) This is option 3, the easiest one. Friday being the 3rd makes sense, but let's first wait until we've passed April 1st and then what Friday brings. Better to be positively surprised instead of another disappointing setback.

FluxWaveZ

I was going to ask if people would recommend Killer Queen but, reading back, I'm seeing the predominant opinion is this:

Just a heads up, I found the game to be very disappointing (and I think a lot of people did). Very flat and boring characters that either have no development at all or have very stupid development. The story is very predictable with twists that you can see coming from miles away with very unsatisfying endings. The art isn't very good either. I wouldn't suggest playing it tbh.

Visually, the game looks like trash, so I was already put off.

Is there no good visual novel which is all about being a battle royale, strictly involving people (typically teenagers) who have to kill each other in a specific location? It seems that VNs would be the one genre where I could find something like this, potentially with cool options such as allying or betraying different characters for alternate story routes and such. It's odd to me that the only one I can think of is Danganronpa. Zero Escape isn't quite that, and Fate/Stay Night—despite looking like it has the concept—isn't at all what I want atmospherically.

I swear I'm going to make this happen if someone doesn't.

Marche90

Sadly, there aren't that many VN with that aspect, it seems. Did a quick check on VNDB and this is what I got back: https://vndb.org/g664

From those, the only two VN that will be released in English for the foreseeable future are Euphoria and Ozmafia, and from those, Euphoria is very graphic and has a lot of questionable content. Ozmafia is an Otome game (meaning that ir caters more towards the female audience), but apparently it doesn't have any questionable content, so your best bet would be to wait for that one... or wait until the same guy who translated Killer Queen translates the other two games in the series, of which the only good one aparently is the third one; apparently the second one isn't bad, but mediocre

or wait until the same guy who translated Killer Queen translates the other two games in the series, of which the only good one aparently is the third one; apparently the second one isn't bad, but mediocre

I've heard good things about Secret Game Code:Revise too. The arts a little better, but they still have those huge eyes.

You could use ITH and TA instead of waiting for a patch..you'll probably have to do some guessing work every now and then, but the dictionaries it pulls from have gotten much better over the years.

grim-tales

Short Aksys teaser update/summary:

No change today => good news, means the counter is not going: 3 days - 1 week - 3 days - 1 week…

It started as 0303[03] => changed after 3 days to 0302 = > then after a week to 0301

Weekly updates seem very likely (feels like going on “4infinity.∞“ ), we’ll know by 16.15 EST this Friday.

If the teaser site is still up after April 1st, we can eliminate the idea of this being the most cruel April fools prank ever perpetrated on mankind

After that, it’s either: 03(months)03(weeks)03(days) OR (0303weeks)03(days). We’ll know Friday after next, depending on the change of the counter. If it's the latter, digital roots idea seems likely.

Conclusion: It’s still a marathon, but not as obtuse as when it started (pictures A and B are useless). We correctly predicted the last change, if it works again then all that's left for us to do is wait.

Hey,
Thanks for this :) You'd think the words would appear soon on the site, maybe at the next update or perhaps theyre red herrings.

The "Tsugi no Giseisha o Oshirase Shimasu" series (similiar to 999/VLR ?)

The "Ichiyanagi Nagomu Trilogy" (same protagonist, murder mystery in remote location = similiar to Kamaitachi 1-3?)

"Missing Parts the Tantei" (Famicom Tantei Club, Phoenix Wright?)

Also, I've never heard of Root Double, but it certainly sound interesting.

I want to read all of these, they are all my favorite type of VN's!

A pity they will likely never get localized (did Banshee's Last Cry sell well on iOS? IIRC an Android port is still in the works)

blacksark

I want to read all of these, they are all my favorite type of VN's!

A pity they will likely never get localized (did Banshee's Last Cry sell well on iOS? IIRC an Android port is still in the works)
It's my favourite too but are all those games very good? Someone more has played any of them?

takoyaki

On PSP alone, there are so many VNs without any English reviews / real wikipedia entries. That makes it pretty tough to know what's out there and which ones are good. Just a few more examples:

screenshot0027-03-31alfqrf.png

Hayarigami 1-3 and Shin Hayarigami on Vita (Urban Legends, solving crimes)

pa.156083.1cfuq0.jpg

"Diamond and the sound of a gunshot" (Hostage negotiation, police work)

41olxrfv59lnaus0.jpg

Enkaku Sōsa: Shinjitsu e no 23 Nichikan (Wikipedia: The plot centers around a man who's been falsely imprisoned and has 23 days to prove his innocence.)

The good news is that most VNs age pretty well and if the genre continues to get more popular outside Japan, more of them will get localized.

takoyaki

I haven't ever seen the games you've posted takoyaki, it's so unfair that we only get in english 0,1% of all visual novels

It's a bit like the import scene in the 90s and early 00s. There were Japanese games you'd never heard of before available at your import shop and all you knew about the game was if the cover looked interesting and what's on the back of the box. With the internet and fast localizations, that part of gaming is pretty much gone today. It's only VNs were I feel like this is still a thing.

Burnburn

Is there no good visual novel which is all about being a battle royale, strictly involving people (typically teenagers) who have to kill each other in a specific location? It seems that VNs would be the one genre where I could find something like this, potentially with cool options such as allying or betraying different characters for alternate story routes and such. It's odd to me that the only one I can think of is Danganronpa. Zero Escape isn't quite that, and Fate/Stay Night—despite looking like it has the concept—isn't at all what I want atmospherically.

I swear I'm going to make this happen if someone doesn't.

Yeah, it's really a shame how it's not more prevalent. I mean with Battle Royale and a lot of manga's (right?) having this theme, it's weird how there's not really a good VN like it. The medium would be so well suited for it too, choosing who to trust, what to do in situations, where to go and then seeing what it would result in would be awesome. Now that I think of it, that's another thing I don't like about Killer Queen, you're pretty much shoehorned with some characters. You can't choose who you want to trust.

K3v1

Neo Member
Zero with ring = phi?

Edit: Phi as a symbol could be seen as a zero with a vertical ring around it. Just a rough guess though.

zero with ring?

(VLR, 999 spoilers)

Akane x Sigma confirmed

edit: I JUST REALIZED I MISTAGGED THAT IF YOU SAW THAT I AM REALLY SORRY

takoyaki

Well what now... :/

Still convinced it's Zero Escape 3, now more so than ever. Hope we can make a new thread after April 1st is over.

edit: So wait, it was "salt" first then changed to "ring"? Because "salt" is on one of those pictures (A,B), "ring" is not. Are we thinking more regular updates with words popping up under the counter?

takoyaki

there's 26 letters in the alphabet

edit: doesn't look good:

KYVCFEXVJKEZXYKNZCCYRMVREVEU

FNJANJUUVNWXOXDAFXAM

I'm not doing the anagram thing again!

FluxWaveZ

Maybe each number could correspond to a letter.

Yeah, it's really a shame how it's not more prevalent. I mean with Battle Royale and a lot of manga's (right?) having this theme, it's weird how there's not really a good VN like it. The medium would be so well suited for it too, choosing who to trust, what to do in situations, where to go and then seeing what it would result in would be awesome. Now that I think of it, that's another thing I don't like about Killer Queen, you're pretty much shoehorned with some characters. You can't choose who you want to trust.

If I keep threatening to do this myself, destiny's bound to make one happen, right? So much potential for a trope which seems to be relatively popular when it's done right (Battle Royale, The Hunger Games, Danganronpa...). Ah well.

Top Bottom