• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Sekai Project licensed some random Korean BL game called November Boy. I guess I expected too much, but I hope it's at least a good game.
Almost all of the stuff they license are random doujin games that people don't know about.
They announced two other unknowns too that I want to look up once I'm not on my phone.

Regarding the Infinity titles:

12Riven was supposed to be the first in a completely new trilogy which was a spiritual(?) successor to Infinity. This series was supposed to be called "Integral", however, due to money issues that trilogy never came to be realized. 12Riven IS in the same universe as the Infinity titles.

Code18... Don't know much about this one, all I know is that it belongs to Infinity series but counts as a different universe, and the general consensus is that it sucks.

P.S: Remember11 and Ever17 are must plays. Kokoro and Sora best girl, respectively.

cj_iwakura

I find it interesting how dominate the BL genre's becoming. Those fangirls(and boys :p) must really be coming out in droves.

Not my cup of tea, but I'm glad they have a niche. Kind of wish we got more traditional dating sims, though. (And not eroge.)

Have any GL(is that the phrase?) ones ever been localized?

I find it interesting how dominate the BL genre's becoming. Those fangirls(and boys :p) must really be coming out in droves.

Not my cup of tea, but I'm glad they have a niche. Kind of wish we got more traditional dating sims, though. (And not eroge.)

Mangagamer has said that No Thank You was profitable for them, so we'll probably get more BL titles from them. Apparently this Sekai Project title is going on Steam so it's probably not an eroge.

There are yuri titles fan translated, but nothing official.

BL is emerging, but I think you're kinda overestimating the level of its presence right now. We have literally three officially released English BL games in the west right now, (not taking into account some small indies) and that's counting that one released way back in 2006. And there's currently only three on the way, all of them with TBA release dates. Traditional straight dating sims still tower over us in comparison.

GL isn't really a term. They're usually referred to as yuri games. And there's only one in English that I know of off-hand.

BL is emerging, but I think you're kinda overestimating the level of it's presence right now. We have literally three officially English BL games in the west right now, and that's counting that one released in 2006. And there's currently only three on the way, all of them with TBA release dates.

Traditional straight dating sims still tower over us in comparison.
Yeah, it's still a small trickle, but there are some indicators that that might change a bit.

cj_iwakura

BL is emerging, but I think you're kinda overestimating the level of its presence right now. We have literally three officially released English BL games in the west right now, (not taking into account some small indies) and that's counting that one released in way back in 2006. And there's currently only three on the way, all of them with TBA release dates. Traditional straight dating sims still tower over us in comparison.

GL isn't really a term. They're usually referred to as yuri games. And there's only one in English that I know of off-hand.

It's still an impressive number, all things considered.

Which one is that?

Yeah, it's still a small trickle, but there are some indicators that that might change a bit.
I hope so. I'd love to see the genre really take off in the west, hopefully with a lot more variety too.

I just think it's funny/weird to see some people act like BL/bara games are suddenly everywhere, drowning out the rest of the sub-genres, when really, that's not even close to be being true. (This isn't directed at you cj, it's just a general thing I've noticed amongst VN fans.)

It's still an impressive number, all things considered.
I'd probably use the word promising, not impressive. We've got a hell of a long way to go still.

Which one is that?
I don't remember if this is the exact name, but it's called The Menagerie I think.

cj_iwakura

I hope so. I'd love to see the genre really take off in the west, hopefully with a lot more variety too.

I just think it's funny/weird to see some people act like BL/bara games are suddenly everywhere, drowning out the rest of the sub-genres, when really, that's not even close to be being true. (This isn't directed at you cj, it's just a general thing I've noticed amongst VN fans.)

I think it's because they seem to be getting announced in rapid succession, when there's a lot of other VNs people expect to see that still haven't been touched. (And I imagine the yuri fans are probably feeling left out, too.)

I think it's because they seem to be getting announced in rapid succession, when there's a lot of other VNs people expect to see that still haven't been touched. (And I imagine the yuri fans are probably feeling left out, too.)
Hmmm, I still don't really see it that way. Maybe only because it just started happening these past two years does it seem so, but I can assure you that newly announced titles aimed at straight (male) audiences still outnumber BL by an overwhelming margin. Until this past week, there was only one confirmed BL/bara game in development for English markets. We just got the other two announcements in the past two days.

As for yuri fans, I'm sure they feel very left out, as the amount of actual available yuri VN content, in Japan or anywhere for that manner, is very limited.

cj_iwakura

That game looks super interesting imo.Any possibility of this coming overseas?

Slim to none. NISA pretty much gave up on VNs after Disgaea Infinite, otherwise we might have gotten their Vita VN here(which I was really interested in).

I don't remember if this is the exact name, but it's called The Menagerie I think.

Wow, that's definitely not a romantic one. Yeesh. Straight-up eroges really aren't my thing, but I enjoy romantic stories(see: the likes of Utena, Sailor Moon to an extent). One of the reasons I don't mind playing otomes. They're good about keeping it classy.

jzbluz

There's tons of games where you play as a guy who can date girls, but not nearly enough where you can date guys. And it makes me feel a bit frustrated and sad when other people think otherwise. But I guess it could be worse, I could be a Yuri fan.

BL is emerging, but I think you're kinda overestimating the level of its presence right now We have literally three officially released English BL games in the west right now, (not taking into account some small indies) and that's counting that one released way back in 2006. And there's currently only three on the way, all of them with TBA release dates. Traditional straight dating sims still tower over us in comparison.

Absolute Obedience, Enzai, and No Thank You!!! Then November Boy, I guess, but what are the other two?

takoyaki

That game looks super interesting imo.Any possibility of this coming overseas?

Very low, the game bombed hard in Japan.

Played the first few hours and we're probably not missing out on much. I really liked the idea of the game (was watching Mirai Nikki back then and the idea of a dating sim were you slowly find out that the girl you're dating is basically Gasai Yuno sounded like a cool concept), but the game itself lost me pretty quickly.

Vylash

There's tons of games where you play as a guy who can date girls, but not nearly enough where you can date guys. And it makes me feel a bit frustrated and sad when other people think otherwise. But I guess it could be worse, I could be a Yuri fan
we've been neglected for years, and when someone throws us a bone the product always bombs

jzbluz

Slim to none. NISA pretty much gave up on VNs after Disgaea Infinite, otherwise we might have gotten their Vita VN here(which I was really interested in).

Great Edo Blacksmith? I have to admit, I was interested in that game since I love courtesans. I was a bit surprised that NISA passed on it because it does have RPG elements, which might make it easier to sell than a straight VN.

cj_iwakura

Great Edo Blacksmith? I have to admit, I was interested in that game since I love courtesans. I was a bit surprised that NISA passed on it because it does have RPG elements, which might make it easier to sell than a straight VN.

Ha, not that one, Special Investigative Division. Came out like two years ago?

There's tons of games where you play as a guy who can date girls, but not nearly enough where you can date guys. And it makes me feel a bit frustrated and sad when other people think otherwise. But I guess it could be worse, I could be a Yuri fan.

Absolute Obedience, Enzai, and No Thank You!!! Then November Boy, I guess, but what are the other two?
I never heard of Enzai, so I guess that makes seven. You're missing Coming Out On Top, Super Health Club and Fantastic Boyfriends: Legends of Midearth. (The latter two are TBA as far as release dates go. COOT came out in November/December.)

jzbluz

Ha, not that one, Special Investigative Division. Came out like two years ago?

Haha, technically that was before my "time" so no wonder I missed it. It sounds interesting but I'm guessing their response would be the same as with UtaPri, something like "if we had plans to release it we would have already done it by now".

I never heard of Enzai, so I guess that makes seven. You're missing Coming Out On Top, Super Health Club and Fantastic Boyfriends: Legends of Midearth. (The latter two are TBA as far as release dates go. COOT came out in November/December.)

I bought COOT, but I didn't mention it since I thought you that's the kind of game you meant by indie, but I guess you meant free? Hhhhmmm, not really into the "bara" aesthetic but they both sound like something I might enjoy anyway.

So Sekai Project's new announcements:

Shizuku no Oto, a horror game
IIRQ3xB.jpg
aiueoKompany's Shizuku no Oto horror adventure game takes place at an aquarium. The aquarium with giant fish and a starry sky of jellyfish has had some unsettling rumors: that it is a "red aquarium" with human-faced fish, ghosts, and human souls shaped like jellyfish who swim in its tanks. The rumor is spreading specifically among female middle school students, and close friends Mayumi Nakanobe and Himeno Tamagawa decide to visit the aquarium. Soon, they get caught up in the bizarre phenomena happening at the aquarium.

Machina of the Planet Tree -Planet Ruler, a RPG. Sekai project has finished translating the game and will be working on editing and game testing soon.
As a field researcher, Cram Lanvelouche is regularly sent out to excavate artifacts from the Old World, called "Attributes". As he searches for the legendary Attribute, the "Machina", he unearths a conspiracy that could threaten the existence of all humans on the planet.

And Team ANAGO's Korean boys-love mystery adventure game November Boy. Which I can't find much information on other than apparently it's about obsessive, stalker romance.

blacksark

Very low, the game bombed hard in Japan.

Played the first few hours and we're probably not missing out on much. I really liked the idea of the game (was watching Mirai Nikki back then and the idea of a dating sim were you slowly find out that the girl you're dating is basically Gasai Yuno sounded like a cool concept), but the game itself lost me pretty quickly.

So it's not very good? It was just a first impression and the idea, I really liked the concept

takoyaki

So it's not very good? It was just a first impression and the idea, I really liked the concept

From what I played, I'd say it's not very good. Can't say for sure because I only played 5 hours or so and VNs are basically books; what you like and don't like is a lot more subjective than in other genres. I didn’t like the way it was written and it looked pretty cheap, the trailers look much better than the game itself.

cj_iwakura

I'm at Day 8 of Heaven's Feel, and I'm not sure I'm ready for this. The Interlude in Night 7 was really difficult to watch.

Marche90

So I just placed an order for Kara no Shoujo, and it should arrive within a week. How much suffering am I in for?

I take you already finished Princess Evangile?

As for suffering, quite a bit, try not to get attached to a few characters too much.

ACTUAL SPOILERS FOR KnS:
Tojiko ;_;

I take you already finished Princess Evangile?

As for suffering, quite a bit, try not to get attached to a few characters too much.

ACTUAL SPOILERS FOR KnS:
Tojiko ;_;

On the contrary, after 42 hours of Princess Evangile I am almost through my first route. Since the best girl is only available in the fandisc, I could only choose the third-best girl
Rise.
I was mis-informed initially about the game being
21 chapters, so I was honestly expecting to finish the route last night. BUT THEN THE "CHAPTER 22" TITLE CARD HAPPENED, I saved and haven't touched it since.
I'll prolly finish the route within a week, start on the next one. I greatly recommend it for fans of Moege, and I give Mangagamer a 10/10 for using my Steam review in their Euphoria april fools joke.

grim-tales

So Sekai Project's new announcements:

Shizuku no Oto, a horror game

Machina of the Planet Tree -Planet Ruler, a RPG. Sekai project has finished translating the game and will be working on editing and game testing soon.

And Team ANAGO's Korean boys-love mystery adventure game November Boy. Which I can't find much information on other than apparently it's about obsessive, stalker romance.

Shizuku no Oto sounds interesting :)

On the contrary, after 42 hours of Princess Evangile I am almost through my first route. Since the best girl is only available in the fandisc, I could only choose the third-best girl
Rise.
21 chapters, so I was honestly expecting to finish the route last night. BUT THEN THE "CHAPTER 22" TITLE CARD HAPPENED, I saved and haven't touched it since.
I'll prolly finish the route within a week, start on the next one. I greatly recommend it for fans of Moege, and I give Mangagamer a 10/10 for using my Steam review in their Euphoria april fools joke.

Each route is
chapters long. And yeah, it's a really long VN. I wish I had an hour counter because it took me a week to get through it.

Marche90

Rise.

I agree, the VN is excellent. I've been reading it nonstop since a few days ago and finished both Ayaka's and Ritsuko's routes already. I loved both, and sincerely after reading Ritsuko's route she's so far my favorite character from the ones available to choose, not to mention the best route so far, though Ayaka's no slouch, either. I really hope we get the fandisc after all of this, otherwise this will become my standard face:

x0Qxmaf.png

Btw, when you say best girl you mean
Ruriko
, right? RIGHT!?

Yuuichi

I wanna see the receipts for those 42 hours, that's an absolutely INSANE length.

I think you've gotta be a bit of a slow reader, the game is listed as 30-50 on VNDB (which is based on data pulled from EGS).

Marche90

I wanna see the receipts for those 42 hours, that's an absolutely INSANE length.

I think you've gotta be a bit of a slow reader, the game is listed as 30-50 on VNDB (which is based on data pulled from EGS).

Easy: see his profile on the Steam page for the VN. His review is the first one that appears there. And yeah, probably being an slow reader is the case.

Nope. Those are the hours he spent on the common route and a bit of Rise's. I've read it too and I assure you it isn't that long if you read at a normal pace

Oh, I see.

By the way, since I legitimately have it now, I am playing through Danganronpa.
I am at CH4, easily the worst case in the whole series.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
So many VNs getting announced lately :) That's awesome to see. The worst part of them is just waiting for them to get finished with translating and get released.

Arcadius

Banned
Hello everyone, I'd like to ask for some recommendations. I already know about Steins;gate and I believe I have some others in a document for review. I'm looking for slice of life or lighthearted stories to read through. I'm not sure what type of terminology is okay to use, so I'll spoiler tag it just incase, but
ecchi
content is not required, but won't put me off from any VN's.

Vylash

2 is ~75% translated, it's still just that one guy who's name I can never remember working on it.

As far as I know, the original never had a publicly announced project.
ugh, that sucks

Hello everyone, I'd like to ask for some recommendations. I already know about Steins;gate and I believe I have some others in a document for review. I'm looking for slice of life or lighthearted stories to read through. I'm not sure what type of terminology is okay to use, so I'll spoiler tag it just incase, but
ecchi
content is not required, but won't put me off from any VN's.

try Hoshizora no Memoria and Rewrite

Haha, technically that was before my "time" so no wonder I missed it. It sounds interesting but I'm guessing their response would be the same as with UtaPri, something like "if we had plans to release it we would have already done it by now".

I bought COOT, but I didn't mention it since I thought you that's the kind of game you meant by indie, but I guess you meant free? Hhhhmmm, not really into the "bara" aesthetic but they both sound like something I might enjoy anyway.
COOT is indie for sure, but I felt that because it was part of a successful Kickstarter campaign it stood out as a more high profile release. It's a really great game too, so I like to give it support however I can.

Bara is my favorite genre so the fact that both Super Health Club and Fantastic Boyfriends are the first true taste of it we're getting in the west makes me very excited. (I know COOT and NTY have bara characters too, but unless the cast is 100%, some purist always dispute it. Though IMO, everyone in COOT is bara to me.) I hope you give them a spin. I'd like to see more gaffers get into the genre. :)

Top Bottom