• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Soulflarz

Banned
Her name is Itou Kanako. Some of her stuff is available on itunes if you search for いとうかなこ. I think she also did the song for Chaos Child and some other games/anime. Love her work.

I hate doing that. I know her by Itou Kanako. Why do I have to look up her japanese name ;_;

yo52

Neo Member
Hey everyone, I'm brand new to visual novels but I'm interested in a few. Specifically Stiens;Gate and Fate/Stay vs. I've watched the animes for both which is why I'm interested in them. I heard about the Stiens;Gate vs coming to ps3 and vita sometime this year so I'll be getting that.

My question is, how can I get a hold of the Fate/stay vs? and where is the best place to play it on?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
They (MG) just tweeted that preorders for Higurashi Ch.1 are live tonight.
Getting it on their website also gives a steam key, so I'm gonna get it there most likely.

Ohhh really like this piece of info:

Is that then equivalent to the PS3/Vita version released by Kaga Create recently? Then I might consider it, but again I really like to play my VNs in handhelds.

cj_iwakura

Hey everyone, I'm brand new to visual novels but I'm interested in a few. Specifically Stiens;Gate and Fate/Stay vs. I've watched the animes for both which is why I'm interested in them. I heard about the Stiens;Gate vs coming to ps3 and vita sometime this year so I'll be getting that.

My question is, how can I get a hold of the Fate/stay vs? and where is the best place to play it on?

It's on the PC and PSP/PSV. Maybe the PS2 also? Most play the fan translated PC version. It's your call whether to play the adult or edited version, but I'd suggest the edited outside of the final arc where it actually means something(though only somewhat as opposed to not at all).

Shizuka

Names posted on the PSN topic:

4infinity.jpg

Prelude.

I'd like to know the reasoning behind 0204, btw.

The OP of this thread "predicted" it.

I thought it was just a typo since the digital root theory seemed right until now.

Wow. Straight up nothing to "decrypt", then.
What about the letters?
Well, we don't know for sure, but it's seems very plausible because the countdown will end right after E³ and right before Anime Expo. Aksys tends to make big announcements at the latter.

The words are still a complete mystery, but the location of ring under one of the numbers might indicate that the words need to be strung together somehow. (Or it could mean nothing at all.)

Prelude.

Well, we don't know for sure, but it's seems very plausible because the countdown will end right after E³ and right before Anime Expo. Aksys tends to make big announcements at the latter.

The words are still a complete mystery, but the location of ring under one of the numbers might indicate that the words need to be strung together somehow. (Or it could mean nothing at all.)
I see. It's kinda disappointing they started teasing so early, there's no momentum at all between the updates.

Shizuka

I spent the entire day playing Freedom Wars, now I feel like playing a visual novel. I wonder if I should go for Phenomeno (got it working, I think), Planetarian, TGGH or Xblaze. Also, does anyone know how MG is handling Higurashi's pricing?

Wazzy

Banned
I'm finally checking this community out(thanks Hours!) and I'm hoping to find some good visual novel recommendations since I love the genre. I've played Zero Escape series, Dangan Ronpa series, Phoenix Wright series, Corpse Party, Time Hollow, Hotel Dusk series, Another Code, Ghost Trick, Professor Layton, Trauma Center and Jake Hunter. Would love games similar to the first three most.
Names posted on the PSN topic:

Ahhhhh it's gone down even more? I wish we could get something a bit more clear.

Shizuka

I'm finally checking this community out(thanks Hours!) and I'm hoping to find some good visual novel recommendations since I love the genre. I've played Zero Escape series, Dangan Ronpa series, Phoenix Wright series, Corpse Party, Time Hollow, Hotel Dusk series, Another Code, Ghost Trick, Professor Layton, Trauma Center and Jake Hunter. Would love games similar to the first three most.

Steins;Gate when it's released for the Vita and PS3.

Burnburn

I spent the entire day playing Freedom Wars, now I feel like playing a visual novel. I wonder if I should go for Phenomeno (got it working, I think), Planetarian, TGGH or Xblaze. Also, does anyone know how MG is handling Higurashi's pricing?

Go for Phenomeno! It's short and sweet, and afterwards you can go right back to Freedom Wars. The game is worth it just for the beautiful art alone and the actual story and atmosphere are very good too.

cj_iwakura

You still haven't played that? :(

takoyaki

The only game that's a bit like those three is "Sweet Fuse", a PSP game that runs on vita. If you're on iOS, then definitely check out "Banshee's Last Cry". It's the localized version of "Kamaitachi no Noru”, a classic VN that more or less popularized the genre in Japan.

The only game that's a bit like those three is "Sweet Fuse", a PSP game that runs on vita. If you're on iOS, then definitely check out "Banshee's Last Cry". It's the localized version of "Kamaitachi no Noru”, a classic VN that more or less popularized the genre in Japan.

I second this recommendation. It's an excellent visual novel that plays well on the phone. It's also inexpensive, so that's a bonus too.

Soulflarz

Banned

Thirded, because it's damn good for a random iOS VN :p

Welcome! :) Happy to see more stairlifters here.

Both these games are great. And someone already recommended Steins;Gate too which I will also second. If you like dating sims, there's a few more I could suggest also. :D

gaiages

Banned
So guys, I was going to catch myself up on the Infinity games, with all this hype going around about Zero Escape 3 reminding me it exists. The thing is, I'm not quite sure which ones are part of the canonical series?

From what I'm seeing, there are three Infinity games: Never7, Ever17, and Remember11, which are in that order. But, there's also Code18 and Riven12. It seems as though most people don't consider Code18 canon, so it seems safe to ignore if I want to.

I think I got all that right. So, my three questions are:
1. Where exactly does Riven12 fall into all this? I can't tell if it's canon or not, or if it's worth looking into.
2. Regardless of their canon status, are Riven12 and Code18 good VNs? Are they worth a read?
3. I've already played Ever17, so should I tackle Never7 or Remember11 next? Or does it not matter too much?

Thanks guys~

Wazzy

Banned

I second this recommendation. It's an excellent visual novel that plays well on the phone. It's also inexpensive, so that's a bonus too.
Steins;Gate when it's released for the Vita and PS3.

I'll check it out! I was wanting Sweet Fuse but forgot to pick it up when it was released so I'll also definitely play that as well.

Thanks for the recs!
Welcome! :) Happy to see more stairlifters here.

Both these games are great. And someone already recommended Steins;Gate too which I will also second. If you like dating sims, there's a few more I could suggest also. :D

Thanks Hours! :D

I'm a Persona player so I'm totes into the dating sims as well(Marriage was my favourite aspect of Fire Emblem Awakening) so I'd love to hear your other recommendations!

cj_iwakura

Sakura Wars V is a great one if you have a PS2 or Wii. (People will try and tell you it's the worst one in the series, those people dislike joy.) Growlanser Generations has it moments, too.

As for the PC, Katawa Shoujo.

LX_Theo

Banned
So guys, I was going to catch myself up on the Infinity games, with all this hype going around about Zero Escape 3 reminding me it exists. The thing is, I'm not quite sure which ones are part of the canonical series?

From what I'm seeing, there are three Infinity games: Never7, Ever17, and Remember11, which are in that order. But, there's also Code18 and Riven12. It seems as though most people don't consider Code18 canon, so it seems safe to ignore if I want to.

I think I got all that right. So, my three questions are:
1. Where exactly does Riven12 fall into all this? I can't tell if it's canon or not, or if it's worth looking into.
2. Regardless of their canon status, are Riven12 and Code18 good VNs? Are they worth a read?
3. I've already played Ever17, so should I tackle Never7 or Remember11 next? Or does it not matter too much?

Thanks guys~

Preface... I've played Never7, Ever17, and Remember11

Those are hard to answer. Well, the first two moreso since I've never touched them.

All the stories are quite isolated. Never7 is more like Ever17 with character routes and a true end. It also feels like a first attempt at doing what the series does well with the plot twists. Remember11 is also very good, but different (in terms of structure).

I'd suggest Never7 and then Remember11. It doesn't matter that much though. Probably the better way to enjoy them since you do the better one last and you're sticking with the familiar format for longer.

Thanks Hours! :D

I'm a Persona player so I'm totes into the dating sims as well(Marriage was my favourite aspect of Fire Emblem Awakening) so I'd love to hear your other recommendations!
Cool. Well, I'd definitely start with Sweet Fuse. I really like that game a lot, and since you enjoy Ace Attorney, I think you'll find the characters quite appealing as they're done by the same designer. The story is kinda cliche but really fun, due to the (mostly) stellar cast and funky premise. Another one for is Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom. It's much slower than Sweet Fuse, and the MC is kinda bland, but the overall story is really interesting, and the artwork is very beautiful. Once it gets going, there's lots of action too.

(I really like the marriage/relationship aspects of Fire Emblem and Persona too. Personally, I'm hoping the next iteration in both series has some same sex relationships so I can really get into them.)

Sakura Wars V is a great one if you have a PS2 or Wii. (People will try and tell you it's the worst one in the series, those people dislike joy.) Growlanser Generations has it moments, too.
I can vouch for both these games, especially the Growlanser series. Generations is awesome, Wayfarer of Time for PSP is incredible. (Heritage of War is alright, but definitely the weakest of the translated games.)

Wazzy

Banned
Cool. Well, I'd definitely start with Sweet Fuse. I really like that game a lot, and since you enjoy Ace Attorney, I think you'll find the characters quite appealing as they're done by the same designer. The story is kinda cliche but really fun, due to the (mostly) stellar cast and funky premise. Another one for is Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom. It's much slower than Sweet Fuse, and the MC is kinda bland, but the overall story is really interesting, and the artwork is very beautiful. Once it gets going, there's lots of action too.

(I really like the marriage/relationship aspects of Fire Emblem and Persona too. Personally, I'm hoping the next iteration in both series has some same sex relationships so I can really get into them.)

I can vouch for both these games, especially the Growlanser series. Generations is awesome, Wayfarer of Time for PSP is incredible. (Heritage of War is alright, but definitely the weakest of the translated games.)
Cool I'll check these all out! Thanks!

I'm also rooting for Same Sex marriage in Fire Emblem. Diversity is always good and representation for people to relate to is never a bad thing.

Plus I will totally marry a bunch of my guy characters to each other.

cj_iwakura

I'm also rooting for Same Sex marriage in Fire Emblem. Diversity is always good and representation for people to relate to is never a bad thing.

Some people will tell you Ike and Soren is the OTP.
I'm in the Ike and Elencia camp. It's quite lonely.

Hurray! I hope you enjoy the suggestions. :)

Wazzy

Banned
Some people will tell you Ike and Soren is the OTP.
I'm in the Ike and Elencia camp. It's quite lonely.
It's okay, I'm also in that camp but that's mainly because there's a million hotter men he could end up with.

*cough* Boyd *cough*
Hurray! I hope you enjoy the suggestions. :)

I'll definitely post my thoughts of them once I've started! It's now deciding which to start with heh.

It's okay, I'm also in that camp but that's mainly because there's a million hotter men he could end up with.

*cough* Boyd *cough*
Agreed, but Boyd is already with Mist, and that's where Priam came from in my mind. (There's no why he's a direct decedent of Ike IMO.) Ike and Soren (or Ranulf), while not the optimum pairings, are my heart's canon. ;_;

Elincia is just a bro to Ike.

I'll definitely post my thoughts of them once I've started! It's now deciding which to start with heh.
Awesome. I made an OT for Sweet Fuse a while back, so if you'd like to check it out, please feel free.

cj_iwakura

Agreed, but Boyd is already with Mist, and that's where Priam came from in my mind. (There's no why he's a direct decedent of Ike IMO.) Ike and Soren (or Ranulf), while not the optimum pairings, are my heart's canon. ;_;

Elincia is just a bro to Ike.

Beats letting her become a spinster queen.

Vylash

As for the PC, Katawa Shoujo.

Sakura Wars is legit, i had such a damn good time with it
#TeamRatchet

Radiant Dawn seems to imply she's basically Elizabeth I. :(
This is when you employee a common FE coping technique of selective canon observation. There's too many variables to ever say what's what unless we get a sequel, so pick a ship and sail away to brighter days on it!

Wurliwurm

After all the ZE3 hype i really want to play never7 ever17 and remember11. but i really have no idea where to find them to play. Would be really nice if someone could pm me.
At least its a bit disappointing that the countdown will last so long. Hope its worth waiting.

Can anyone help me?

I saw a game in one of these threads, the thing I thought interesting was all the girls had 2 versions, 1 was the usual sweet and innocent then the others where much darker.

I just don't remember dark in which way! But there was 2 separate art for each character in the post.

I've been searching threads for a few days now with no luck.

Sorry for the lack of info!

Can anyone help me?

I saw a game in one of these threads, the thing I thought interesting was all the girls had 2 versions, 1 was the usual sweet and innocent then the others where much darker.

I just don't remember dark in which way! But there was 2 separate art for each character in the post.

'Thought this was Harem Heaven, but it’s Yandere Hell' maybe?

jzbluz

Sekai Project licensed some random Korean BL game called November Boy. I guess I expected too much, but I hope it's at least a good game.

Vylash

Can anyone help me?

i716antyvRr45.gif

?

Top Bottom