• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

Lain

With Littlewitch Romanesque now out on Steam I'm wondering how (and when) Jast will send out keys to the people that purchased the 18+ version.

So June 26th for Americans and June 27th for Australians are the magic dates.

If the countdown continues on its exact pattern till then, it's going to end one week after E3 and one week before the Anime Expo. So I'm going to assume that they'll reveal a short teaser just to wet out appetites and then do a full blown reveal at the Anime Expo. Regardless of how they reveal it, I'm just glad we finally have a date. I now don't have to visit this thread 10 million times a day. 83 days left!

Anime Expo is where Aksys and NISA try to reveal some of their big upcoming titles, so the projected end date makes a lot more sense now. Time to just check in every week or so and catch up on updates until then.

Yuuichi

With Littlewitch Romanesque now out on Steam I'm wondering how (and when) Jast will send out keys to the people that purchased the 18+ version.

Just as soon as they get out those other 4 games that are supposed to be out in the next 3? months or so.

hahahahahahahhahah

Anyways, the fact that there's still no ZE community thread baffles me, but I just talked with dresden and everything should be fine to stay here, so speculate away!

DeMatador

Neo Member
I'd still consider July 3 as a potential reveal date. May does have 5 weeks so the countdown could count from 0201 to 0105.

We'll see.

Lain

They (MG) just tweeted that preorders for Higurashi Ch.1 are live tonight.
Getting it on their website also gives a steam key, so I'm gonna get it there most likely.

Ohhh really like this piece of info:

For a while now, many have wondered why Higurashi‘s release has been delayed, and today we’re excited to finally share that our acquisition of Higurashi Hou has been one of those reasons! This acquisition means that our upcoming release on Steam will be the definitive version of Higurashi both for Japan and the West! This also means that we’ll be releasing every single chapter of Higurashi contained in Hou: all four Question Arcs, all four Answer Arcs (Higurashi Kai), all three arcs of Higurashi Rei (which were previously never released in English!), Hinamizawa Teiryuujyo (the never-before-released original concept story for the Higurashi series), Higurashi Outbreak (a chapter formerly available only in drama CD format), and a brand-new arc exclusive to Higurashi Hou–the Kamikanshi Chapter. All 14 of these chapters will be released individually on Steam and our website as translation progresses.

What does this mean for the Steam version of Higurashi? It means a long list of new features will be included!

Options to switch between the new sprites and the old
New Higurashi Hou sprites will also be redone in the new sprite style
The BGM that were replaced in the initial release will be restored to the original versions
Options to switch between playing in English and Japanese on-the-fly

upandaway

They (MG) just tweeted that preorders for Higurashi Ch.1 are live tonight.
Getting it on their website also gives a steam key, so I'm gonna get it there most likely.

Ohhh really like this piece of info:
I was always interested in the Higurashi content beyond the 8 story chapters, dunno if they're good or what they're about but I'd love to read those. I just hope I remember anything about the story by the time they're released

Myth is that doujin title that was put on Greenlight by the non-native English speaker right? I guess Mangagamer picked it up after that.

Happy to see the 4infinity pattern seems to be set in stone now, even though we still have a bit of a long wait for the reveal.

The fact that it presumably ends in June is interesting. >_>

So this is where the 4infinity hype train has been hiding. I was worried for a moment that I wouldn't have anywhere to sit and rock anxiously back and forth after the thread got locked.

*starts rocking back and forth*

grim-tales

The hype just died again a little for me. I hope more words/clues are added instead of just counting down for 3 months.
Why would a game like ZE be revealed at an Anime festival?

The hype just died again a little for me. I hope more words/clues are added instead of just counting down for 3 months.
Why would a game like ZE be revealed at an Anime festival?
There will definitely be more words. What they will entail though remains to be seen.

And there's tons of game stuff at Anime Expo. Like most big conventions now, they run the gamut. And Aksys already has a penchant for announcing stuff there.

yami4ct

Got my first ending in Never 7. First play-through of VNs I usually just go through blind and see where I end up without trying to get any specific ending or ending. Ended up getting the Yuka Good route, which is sort of surprising to me given how that story felt like it was going up until the 3rd act. Really enjoyed it if only for how many times it seemed the game directly went for screwing over Okuhiko. Seriously, fuck that guy. Womanizing jerk.

I really like so far how the game mixes in typical Uchikoshi sci-fi weirdness with a more down to earth core. It's super subversive. Really plays on your expectations for typical VNs and gives it a smaller, slower more character driven tale which I like. Seems like each route is slowly going to build more aspects to the world until it finishes with one crazy big end route. If that's the way it goes, I'm really interested to see what Uchikoshi has up his sleeve.

blacksark

No it's not. If this truly goes down once a week we're looking at a June 26 reveal. Two months, three weeks. Unless it does go from 0201 to 0105 like GSR said, then it could line up with Anime Expo on July 3rd.

Both are speculation, nothing is truly resolved.

I take it like 2 months and 4 weeks which is the same as 3 months(that's the way I see it). It's too much coincidence that an event where aksys goes and announces games is likely to be the date. So I take it like the real clues weren't the numbers at all(maybe the only one is the 0303) but the words they're going to give us every 1st of the month,and since all we got related to that are the uchikoshi's tweets(that points towards zero escape 3) and the greek tweet from aksys(there's nothing more greek than the alphabet) with the ring on 0 that makes sigma, so what I believe is that they've told us when they're going to announce it and teasing what it would be(zero escape 3)

So June 26th for Americans and June 27th for Australians are the magic dates.

If the countdown continues on its exact pattern till then, it's going to end one week after E3 and one week before the Anime Expo. So I'm going to assume that they'll reveal a short teaser just to wet our appetites and then do a full blown reveal at the Anime Expo. Regardless of how they reveal it, I'm just glad we finally have a date. I now don't have to visit this thread 10 million times a day. 83 days left!

Hey now, the mystery of "ring" and "salt" have not been solved yet.

Also, I am quite interested in the Higurashi release. Never read it before, sounds like a start as good as any.

grim-tales

Hey,
I just found today there was a very short lunar eclipse where the moon turns red (I think?), probably just coincidence. Not sure there'll be more clues for a while.

takoyaki

Hey,
I just found today there was a very short lunar eclipse where the moon turns red (I think?), probably just coincidence. Not sure there'll be more clues for a while.

There also was a solar eclipse quite recently and I thought there might be a connection. Another thing I thought might be connected was Easter because of the bunny.

But that's just what happens if you tease something for a quarter of a year...

There's maybe a 5% change that the long wait is a fake-out and something will be announced sooner, but there's no way of predicting anything right now.

At this point, I'm 95% convinced they really want us to wait a quarter of a year. I can't stress that enough, a quarter of a year...

There also was a solar eclipse quite recently and I thought there might be a connection. Another thing I thought might be connected was Easter because of the bunny.

But that's just what happens if you tease something for a quarter of a year...

There's maybe a 5% change that the long wait is a fake-out and something will be announced sooner, but there's no way of predicting anything right now.

At this point, I'm 95% convinced they really want us to wait a quarter of a year. I can't stress that enough, a quarter of a year...

90 days
2160 hours
129600 minutes
7776000 seconds

;_;

Hey now, the mystery of "ring" and "salt" have not been solved yet.

Eh, I don't really care now. I'm already convinced this is Zero Escape 3 and it's going to revealed on June 26th.

That's all I need to know...I'll keep checking up on this thread, but nowhere near as much as I was up until now.

grim-tales

It better be something amazing as we're waiting that long.
Even if it is ZE3, who's to say we're going back to the dark atmosphere of 999? You dont have to really "show" anything but just describe things well.

It better be something amazing as we're waiting that long.
Even if it is ZE3, who's to say we're going back to the dark atmosphere of 999? You dont have to really "show" anything but just describe things well.

Well let's not forget that Sigma
got his arms torn off and his eye taken out.
Zero Escape 3 will be filled with 'traps', so atleast it'll likely be gory.

takoyaki

90 days
2160 hours
129600 minutes
7776000 seconds

;_;

i_hug_that_feelg7sy9.png

takoyaki

Recent Vita owner here...

I had my eyes for a long time on Danganronpa and I was blown away by it.

Currently playing VLR, saddens me that I've forgotten much about my 999 playthrough.

Will start DR2 after that.

What other good VN games can you guys recommend me for Vita? Vita is my go-go VN machine (the sole reason I got it)

Right now, there aren't many other VNs available in English on the Vita. There's Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters and you have Steins;Gate, the Grisaia Trilogy and maybe Clannad to look forward to.

So you're best friend is PSP backwards compatibility. Both Corpse Party games are great (the second one is more of a VN than the first one), Sweet Fuse is similar to VLR/DR and the Hakuoki games are supposed to be quite good.

Right now, there aren't many other VNs available in English on the Vita. There's Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters and you have Steins;Gate, the Grisaia Trilogy and maybe Clannad to look forward to.

So you're best friend is PSP backwards compatibility. Both Corpse Party games are great (the second one is more of a VN than the first one), Sweet Fuse is similar to VLR/DR and the Hakuoki games are supposed to be quite good.

Wait... It's possible to buy Sweet Fuse on Vita?

cj_iwakura

Sweet Fuse is great. The highs aren't as high as Hakuokis, but it doesn't lose steam either. It's good all the way through.

Prelude.

Welp, I thought we were almost there.

Currently playing VLR, saddens me that I've forgotten much about my 999 playthrough.
You don't really need to know anything about 999, the only things that are referenced are conveniently explained by VLR.

What other good VN games can you guys recommend me for Vita? Vita is my go-go VN machine (the sole reason I got it)

Definitely Steins;Gate (coming out soon); if you played the two Corpse Party on PSP there's also Corpse Party Blood Drive that might, hopefully, come out this year; the two XBlaze (the first is already out but I didn't play it yet so I can't personally comment on it); VA-11 HALL-A is looking great; Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters (again, didn't play it but it should be more of a srpg than a VN) and obviously Danganronpa Another Episode, but I assume you were going to buy it anyway.
But yeah, now that you have a Vita you might also want to look more into its library than just VNs, we're never gonna get that many in english that you can play only those.

cj_iwakura

Be warned that I'm told the Vita version of TTGH has very small text. I have the PS3 version.

It's like 80% VN/20% SRPG, and barely an SRPG. You position people on a field and wait for ghosts to attack, without knowing where they are.

blacksark

Welp, I thought we were almost there.

You don't really need to know anything about 999, the only things that are referenced are conveniently explained by VLR.

Definitely Steins;Gate (coming out soon); if you played the two Corpse Party on PSP there's also Corpse Party Blood Drive that might, hopefully, come out this year; the two XBlaze (the first is already out but I didn't play it yet so I can't personally comment on it); VA-11 HALL-A is looking great; Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters (again, didn't play it but it should be more of a srpg than a VN) and obviously Danganronpa Another Episode, but I assume you were going to buy it anyway.
But yeah, now that you have a Vita you might also want to look more into its library than just VNs, we're never gonna get that many in english that you can play only those.

Mmmm that VA-11 HALL-A seems intersting didn't know that one, who is bringing it? Will it come in a retail package?

Prelude.

It's like 80% VN/20% SRPG
Really? I swear people were saying the opposite.

Mmmm that VA-11 HALL-A seems intersting didn't know that one, who is bringing it? Will it come in a retail package?
It's not japanese game, Sukeban Games are the devs but Ouren (he's also on gaf) is handling the Vita version and no, it's a digital only game. It'd be cool if they managed to find a way to fund a retail release, though.

The SRPG portions are more than 20%. I'd probably say it's more like half and half unless you're speeding through the game and ignoring anything optional.

Top Bottom