• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visually, what is your favorite Gen8 (PC/PS4/720/WiiU) tech demo or game so far?(56k)

Honestly Deep down is the most impressive, if it even is real time, that's how sick it is, people want to "Believe" it's real.

This says it all:

2enpmv.gif

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
My issue is that the more imaginative the setting, the more exciting it looks. I'm a little tired of the gun-totin' heroics w/ explosions v3.0 because we've been there and we've seen that. However one cannot deny that all of these engines are visually impressive in their own little ways.

I'm looking forward to the comparisons between some of these engines running on PC versus the consoles. Expecting a lot of hits to be done in quite a few areas unless optimizations are being done by coding wizards with a ball & chain around their neck.

bideogamer

Neo Member
Going to Fox Engine, not on a pure technical level Im sure the other engines might best it in some areas HOWEVER the modelers at Koji Pro are masters. Wonderful looking meshes, and no overly shiny maps. (An offense I see in a lot of the other demos.)

Boss Man

Honestly Deep down is the most impressive, if it even is real time, that's how sick it is, people want to "Believe" it's real.
In addition to Capcom stating that it was running on PS4 hardware, didn't GT also do a breakdown of the video that showed that it's the real deal?

It still does feel kind of unreal though, I mean I don't think anything else we've seen has even come close. I'm just sort of quietly/desperately waiting to see more stuff of that quality right now. I think the overall feeling for everyone is just sort of, "Wait, no seriously though..."

Going to Fox Engine, not on a pure technical level Im sure the other engines might best it in some areas HOWEVER the modelers at Koji Pro are masters. Wonderful looking meshes, and no overly shiny maps. (An offense I see in a lot of the other demos.)

Those materials, models and animations... good shit.

Hmm, tough choice.

I would put
1. Inflitrator
2. Agnis Philosphy

Than the more realistic stuff (in terms of actual games)
3. Killzone SF
4. BF4
5. MGSV. MGS is the game I want to play the most so the amazing visuals and animation bump the game up beyond where I would have placed it, had it been a no name game/new IP.

I have a feeling the FF tech demo will not turn out as well as what we've seen so far, I don't have much faith in SE.

Bonus for lighting, this is my favourite http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_186598&feature=iv&src_vid=wIG2qM476vc&v=0JvDbyZrlHA

i-Lo

Given WiiU's current technical superiority and I predict the WiiU will have an edge over the PS4, and possibly Durango, with DoF effects and lighting. Whereas the other two will have an edge with textures and particles.[/QUOTE]"][URL="http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48106031&postcount=3610"]this famous assertion[/URL] that it'll outdo PS4/XB3 in lighting and DoF, it'll obviously objectively have to be all WiiU games.
:p

That said, my biased views push me to choose these:

Infiltrator tech demo- Hoping one day, through creative technical trickery and optimizations, we'll get there (end of generation) on PS4/XB3.

Deep down- Same as above but sooner.

Fox Engine- Never did I imagine that I could be impressed by visuals that aren't on par with BF4. Despite the aliasing, the lighting demonstration shown here were very impressive. Snake has never looked better and somehow I came away more impressed. I think art direction is the root cause.

inFAMOUS Second Son- The skin shader looks appropriately next gen (even trouncing KZSF's counterpart). It's all the awe inspiring when one remembers this is a quasi-open world game.

Battlefield 4- Beautiful lighting and particle system. At the start of the demo, I thought I was looking at a real corridor for a second or so.

Driveclub- Lighting and what is hopefully detailed real time reflections.

Knack- Lighting. Some parts looked like watching animated CG movie.

Killzone Shadow Fall- Incredible particle effects showing off rectification to one of RSX's and bandwidth starved weaknesses, alpha effects. Explosions now look on par with KZ2 CG demo.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Deep Down, mainly because the thought of Devil May Cry and Resident Evil running on that engine excites me in ways I can't explain.

Really want to see the Fox Engine running on next-gen spec though.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I wonder what Nirolak choose. Maybe there is a reveal tomorrow and we all look silly because that is what will be posted as a response. ;-)

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
In terms of scale, nothing tops Killzone: Shadow Fall -- city scene looked like CG. I just hope the game pulls through with the more impressive visuals on a micro level.

In terms of overall quality -- Agni's Philosophy. Great marriage of art + tech - again, looks like CG.

Epic's infiltrator demo was also very impressive, but the art wasn't as good.

Deep down looks fantastic as well, but it's a very limited demo.

NotLiquid

My issue is that the more imaginative the setting, the more exciting it looks. I'm a little tired of the gun-totin' heroics w/ explosions v3.0 because we've been there and we've seen that. However one cannot deny that all of these engines are visually impressive in their own little ways.

Yeah, what the engines can manage look great but I want to see some more creative stuff like in The Witness.

If I had to pick I'd either choose Infiltrator or Zelda. Both balance it out with nice looking tech and appealing art styles.

Xilium

Deep Down and Agni's Philosophy for me. If those end up being the real deal, we're in for an awesome generation.

All the next gen stuff looks pretty amazing though with all the additional particle effects, clothing textures/details, facial expressions, lighting effects, foliage, ect. The best part being that these games are the front-runners of the generation, many of them likely to be cross-generational. Imagine what games will look like towards the end of the generation.

OryoN

I'm going with MGS V. I was more impressed with the FOX engine that any other engine seen recently. While engines like Frostbite 3 and Panta Rhei have their high points like particles and realtime level destruction, the Metal Gear demo - powered by the FOX engine - have them all beat where it matters for the game they are making. That is; the ability to simulate photo-realistic lighting & environments better than any of those other demos.

For a game like Metal Gear where lighting is a key element, this is exciting. Combine that with the trademark cinematic approach, and it's not hard to see how a director could use this capability to captivate players, pulling them into the game world and story. I connected Snake's pain and his desire to escape as he crawled along that hospital floor. Part of that was due to how believable and moody the scene was.

(Runner up: Zelda demo. I've seen better and more colorful videos of this demo, and the way all those different light sources and shadows were blending(night mode), on top of some really nice animation, was pretty amazing, on any hardware. Just imagining fighting a boss like that in a gorgeous HD Zelda game, excited me more than most of the other demos did.)

fuenf

Games:
I think Crysis 3 looks best. Both BF4 and KZ4 look amazing but their overall look is relatively sterile. Don't get me wrong, some set pieces / characters are indredibly detailed and offer a large sense of scale but somehow the boring and sterile environments stand out to me. Crysis 3 on the other hand offers a more complete package.

X - dat scale
Deep Down - for making me say holy shit
The Wonderful 101 - artistically my favorite 8th generation game so far
Zelda tech demo - impressing me with gamecube assets, great animations and lighting too
Watch Dogs - very nice animations, so much detail going on in the background

majik13

deep down(though a tech demo, we will see how it turns out)
some of bf4
X looks cool for the scale

Zelda is interesting as an artistic non realistic next gen look. Since we really haven't seen many others doing that yet. Though Links face looked a bit odd.

Sean

Banned
I would say Battlefield 4 is the most impressive of the "real" games shown so far.

Deep Down was the only thing so far to make my jaw drop - just seems so far beyond everything else shown that I question whether it's real. The animations and everything look too polished and perfect which makes me think it's some kind of target render. I want to believe it's possible since it's mostly two characters on-screen in small-ish enclosed dungeon areas, but who knows.

Zelda looks very nice but I highly doubt the final game will be anywhere near that level of visual quality.

majik13

It's worth noting that Zelda tech demos have always been surpassed in visual quality by the games that follow.

yeah and most likely a different style too. I have a feeling we may see an evolution of SS style. Though I didn't care for most of it.

Zelda or Killzone.

It would be Deep Down, but I still have...doubts :p

Also:

(Runner up: Zelda demo. I've seen better and more colorful videos of this demo, and the way all those different light sources and shadows were blending(night mode), on top of some really nice animation, was pretty amazing, on any hardware. Just imagining fighting a boss like that in a gorgeous HD Zelda game, excited me more than most of the other demos did.)

?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder what Nirolak choose. Maybe there is a reveal tomorrow and we all look silly because that is what will be posted as a response. ;-)

I'm not sure yet honestly.

I will say everything I put in the OP impressed me in one way or another.

Elsolar

I think the Battlefield 4 demo is the most impressive simply because it contained gameplay. This adds a lot to the complexity of the demo versus just rendering out a cutscene, and not just visually.

The demos all seemed really similar though, and I don't think that's an accident. Technology will become more homogenized as games become more complex and specialty engines get phased out by "jack of all trades" engines like Frostbite and UE4.

yeah and most likely a different style too. I have a feeling we may see an evolution of SS style. Though I didn't care for most of it.
I really think they may try that style used in the tech demo, it wont be exactly but itll be somewhat of a evolution of twilight princess say...Oot-->TP-->Zelda Wii U.

Yea I was going to say..Zelda has always surpassed the tech demos. Just imagine a raining outside dungeon in HD oh god.

LeleSocho

Banned
From all of what is shown only 3 have impressed me really and these are:

1) Deep Down is technically incredible even if take place in very closed spaces i still can't trust Capcom saying that runs real time on a console. On a Titan? sure but for ps4 seems a little too much.

2) Agni's Philosophy aside from a great art direction seems very solid all around with some really fancy tech (hair).

3) Samaritan over UE4 demos because it looks so much better (seriously who the hell cares about particles that not only don't exist in nature in that quantities but with that "windy" effect looks fake as fuck and looks like shit), it has incredible lighting and great polygonal detail. I would really like to see another UE4 demo that isn't focused on particles.

Azure J

Thread is destroying my Chrome in ways I didn't think possible. I loved what I saw of The Witness, Knack, Deep Down, Zelda Demo and Battlefield 4/Shadow Fall thus far.

baphomet

Tech-wise probably Infiltrator (although I think Samaritan seems to be a setting I like more). But from what we've seen if probably rather play Battlefield or Killzone. I haven't been this excited since I bought Tekken 1 before I got my PS1 Dec of 95. Sitting in school looking at the instruction manual just so excited to finally get to play it. Very promising future ahead for games it seems.

Edit: Actually, I'd probably rather play Drive Club than anything else I've seen so far.

Trickster

Definitely the new UE4 demo impressed me the most. It just looks insane.

Though I'm generally impressed with how good the next gen games that have been announced so far looks.

Top Bottom