• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visually, what is your favorite Gen8 (PC/PS4/720/WiiU) tech demo or game so far?(56k)

Might have added 1313 there too. But then again, if it's cancelled... oh nvm.

It's really surprising that it seems like it'll never be released. That game had a ton of hype and is obviously set in a very popular universe. I guess it just shows how anxious Disney are to get out of the console market. Well, aside from trying to get that Disney Infinity game going.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I will say everything I put in the OP impressed me in one way or another.
That's a cop out!.

I'm also impressed with everything that is in the OP. There are various reasons why I didn't list them in my reply, however.

In general I'm automatically less impressed with games that are presented in a first-person perspective. So those are out in such a personal list, despite being powered by impressive technology.

That leaves a few demos. Infiltrator and Zelda don't look like something you could actually control.

X lacks movement blending in the very short scene at the beach, so it's not on a level of even the best current-generation games in that area. (Naughty Dog games, Assassin's Creed series)

I can conceive a world where Deep Down has close to what has been shown movement and animation states of the player character.

You must choose!

Infiltrator and Deep Down.

From a artistic perspective, Deep Down had a more appealing setting for me. I really really hope that demo wasn't just smoke and mirrors because it was a serious step above anything else shown during the PS4 conference.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's a cop out!.

I'm also impressed with everything that is in the OP. There are various reasons why I didn't list them in my reply, however.

In general I'm automatically less impressed with games that are presented in a first-person perspective. So those are out in such a personal list, despite being powered by impressive technology.

That leaves a few demos. Infiltrator and Zelda don't look like something you could actually control.

X lacks movement blending in the very short scene at the beach, so it's not on a level of even the best current-generation games in that area. (Naughty Dog games, Assassin's Creed series)

I can conceive a world where Deep Down has close to what has been shown movement and animation states of the player character.
I would say BF4 ranks highly for me given it mixes A.) actually being a game, B.) great rendering, C.) great scale, and D.) it has a lot of other things going on like vehicles and physics.

Watch Dogs gets a lot of similar props for being a game and having a lot going on.

That said, the render quality doesn't match up to something like Infiltrator, which looks insanely good to me render wise.

Once we throw in art direction, things like Agni's and TW101 look really nice to me.

Deep Down would rank a lot higher if it wasn't in a tiny room. Those fire effects are amazing though.

sp3000

I don't get how anything can match Deep Down. It's so far ahead of everything else there. KZSF didn't really impress me after playing Crysis 3.

I would say BF4 ranks highly for me given it mixes A.) actually being a game, B.) great rendering, C.) great scale, and D.) it has a lot of other things going on like vehicles and physics.

It's very scripted to look good though. Notice how only the scripted explosions look good while the ones triggered by random grenades look no better than BF3.

I still refuse to believe the deep down fire is real.
If it is then it has to be some unusually flattering shot of it and it'll fall apart completely in other situations.
It looks far too cgi, fire in other games is extreeeeeeeeeeemely primitive.

Looking at this little compilation I'm quite pleased with where graphics are going.
Other than battlefield 4 , watch dogs (the water in watch dogs is incredible if real, damn, everything else looks cross gen though) and the wii u stuff (props to wonderful 101 though it looks awesome) none of it reminds me of a current gen game anymore.

That's what I'd describe as a proper generational leap, even if it might take a few years to actually get to play stuff with these graphics (and especially with this image quality) on my pc.

Going from the ue3 2004 tech demo (and all the features in it) and the crysis tech demo with proper image quality in an actual game also took years.

toon_link

Gotta be Wonderful 101.
http://www.abload.de/img/awesomestuffmxu0s.gif
Perfect blend of tech and art style, running at a perfect 60 fps to boot.
yup, cant wait til its out
ibnNLNqaZ2aMQN.gif

Nibel

The Wonderful 101 could have a timeless look because of the simple yet striking art design just like Wind Waker, and it really is enhanced by 60 FPS

You know; as excellent as the MGSV reveal trailer was, there was a short "meh" moment when they showed scenes with fire - probably because of Deep Down which has the best fire I've ever seen, but I'm not completely sold if that thing is real or not. MGSV will probably end up as the best looking current gen game and would benefit greatly from a next-gen port

One another important aspect I want to say: those games I mentioned are games where I think that art design + tech blend superb; from a technical perspective, the entire PS4 line up is looking brilliant and so are some of those new techdemos from various companies - but art design wise they don't look good to me as the games I mentioned above

As someone who started gaming when Colecovision was the hot new toy, the fact that I will soon play a game as beautiful as Agni's Philosophy is a bit surreal.

Deep Down looks amazing as well. #ingameIbelieve!

onilink88

It's Monolith's X by a long shot. I don't know if Xenoblade is considered to be technically impressive or not, nor do I care, but the only term appropriate enough to describe it in terms of art direction is phenomenal. To see that same proficiency return in X, albeit with a more grounded anime art style, with even bigger vistas - well, bigger everything, actually - in addition to transformable, dinosaur decapitating mechs? I can't tell you how hard I'm sold on it.

X.

But i think it's mostly because I can't really separate the visuals from my hype for the games.

Crysis 3 is goddamn gorgeous on my PC. I don't think X will have half that amount of detail.

Mxrz

Putting the WiiU stuff next to the others just seems mean.

Deep down probably stood out the most for me, but Battlefield 4 & MGS5 are actual known games. If XV looks as good as Agni's, then I'm all in too.

Watch_Dogs doesn't seem as impressive anymore.

Durante

Agni's Philosophy wins in overall visual impression for me simply because it's aesthetics are the most appealing by far. Also, I've always been a huge fan of hair and cloth simulation.

Surprisingly I really love the look of the nintendo games - 101 style looks fantastic to me and Zelda if it can manage a gorgeous open world like im thinking they will attempt in those type of graphics then mmm mm mm

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Deep Down and others for a bit of that wow factor.
FOX engine GDC talk was really damn fascinating though. Especially the lighting which looked phenomenal to me. The level of depth and consideration they treat their lighting with is awesome.

I enjoyed the bird tech demo for the Wii U. To this day I want both that and the Zelda HD Experience showing as free, downloadable bonuses. Too bad it'll never happen.

Definitely The Witness. So pretty. I just want to wander around that world for hours.

Edit:

I enjoyed the bird tech demo for the Wii U. To this day I want both that and the Zelda HD Experience showing as free, downloadable bonuses. Too bad it'll never happen.
Me too. Or at least video of them that isn't a cam.

UrbanRats

It's really hard to say, i'm not a tech guy, so i'll be talking out of my ass anyway, but on that side the one that impressed me the most were Agni's for cloth and hair stuff, Deep Down for the fluid simulation and general detail and of course Infiltrator, also for the detail and scope of the whole thing.
I would say Infiltrator probably the most impressive one here, but the fact that it's not aimed at consoles kinda factors into it not being as impressive as, say, Deep Down or Agni's.

Aesthetically speaking, though, i just love the photorealistic yet restrained style of Fox Engine/MGSV, particularly the Ground Zeroes part of it.
I love photorealism, but when it's really photorealism and not some hyper exaggerated cinematography à là Crysis 3 or Battlefield 4.

iNAgLFT3DhXUZ.gif

The sky and the colors in this look so beautiful.

Another example of what i'm talking about, would be ArmA 3, which can also get very beautiful in its realism, though not as much as MGSV.

I think photorealism can achieve a somewhat Malickian quality for me, and that's why it excites me.

Derrick01

Banned
Deep Down is probably the most impressive from a pure graphical standpoint but I have no idea if it can even exist in an actual game form yet. It was also in a cave, a small and linear area.

Watch Dogs is the most impressive game I've seen so far due to it being open world. But I'm wowed a lot more by the tiny stuff working together in games than just texture bumps or tessellated faces in linear shooters (or other linear games).

Espada

Fox Engine. They used MGSV, a 7th generation game, to show it off. The technical aspects are impressive for current gen graphics, which has my head spinning as to how good it'd perform on next gen hardware. The lighting, faces, and animations... goddamn. It helps that it's in the context of an actual game, too (and one with large areas no less).

Agni's Philosophy is showing off an impressive amount of features while being very visually appealing.

Those are my picks, though I'm eager to see other awesome engines come out of the woodwork.

Top Bottom