• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visually, what is your favorite Gen8 (PC/PS4/720/WiiU) tech demo or game so far?(56k)

UrbanRats

Am I the only one who thinks that Deep Down was clearly pre-rendered?

It isn't.
The footage has been looked at and deconstructed a million times, and people found a ton of glaring rendering errors and imperfections.
That said, even though it's in-engine, doesn't mean it's in-game.

Also, wait Killzone 3 was realtime at E3, you're thinking of Killzone 2, i guess.

nasos_333

20uzp89.jpg

bravely-default-ff-tgs-2012.jpg

vH3eg.jpg

fsPsN.jpg

62M77.jpg

GeWW3.jpg

96t6V.jpg

Bravely Default is by miles my top pick

Thread with more pics/art

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510483

Then

- FF15 Agnes (for both art and top technical side)
- Deep Down (same as above)
- Demons Souls 2 (art mainly)
- Zelda WW WiiU (art mainly)
- Layton Azran Mysteries (art)

ymmv

Banned
As a single scene? This.

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

But overall? Deep Down. The closest to cgi of any of the demos or games imo.

The funny thing is that Deep Down didn't impress me that much because it looked so close to CGI movies we've seen so often. I bet it's going to be different when you're actually playing the game and seeing those FX in realtime with you changing what's happening on screen.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Favourite tech demo has been Infiltrator or Luminous.

Favourite game - Deep Down, if it is in fact a game, if not KZ:SF.

Ein Bear

The funny thing is that Deep Down didn't impress me that much because it looked so close to CGI movies we've seen so often. I bet it's going to be different when you're actually playing the game and seeing those FX in realtime with you changing what's happening on screen.

Yeah, I keep finding this too. We've hit the point where the things look so good that cinematic trailers are like CGI movies... have to keep reminding myself that this stuff is playable :p

I'm impressed with every tech demo/game in the OP, cept for BF4. What really stands out are Deep Down, Agni's and Infiltrator. Those look like CGI.

I want games to look like this, next gen but not exactly next gen, know what I mean?

Good and creative artstyles and aesthetics usually impress me much more than just graphical prowess, and I love fantasy so this is an easy win for Japan for me. I can't get excited about bald ugly soldier dudes or military shooters, as impressive as they may be from a technological perspective.

My favourite is X because it's an actual game and will probably be amazing. The most impressive is Agni's Philosophy, it is both technologically and artistically outstanding.

Zelda and especially Deep Down are impressive as well, but they are both just a few models in a closed environment, and Deep Down is too generic and brown. I also think Deep Down will likely turn out like those Motorstorm and Killzone tech demos for the PS3 (which might very well be the case with Agni as well).

Nekki

1- Zelda
2- Deep Down
3- Agni's

To me, UE4 looks iffy, there's this filter where the colors look kinda distorted when there's the DOF blur. It's horrible.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I like what people respond to this topic. I want more.

GANGSTERKILLER said:
Samaritan tech demo! http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_unre...-19568_en.html

The new UE4 demo doesn't impress me like Samaritan (still running on UE3) did.
I think the new-new (Infiltrator) UE4 demo is super impressive, but Samaritan conceptually better looking to me because of the Bladerunner and cloth tech of the coat.

I also can understand with the people choosing The Wonderful 101. Visually very striking game.
It can't compete with the tech demos but I think it can hang with the other games listed.

Rolf NB

Battlefield 4 wins it. I know I'm never going to play the game, but the visuals are astounding.

Killzone Shadowfall second. Particularly the clarity of the large-scale scenes. I've always hated the excessive DOF in UE and other "modern" engines. It's good to see something that dials it all the way back to zero.

DOF is also the reason why I don't particularly like Agni's Philosophy and Deep Down.

The intro scene of Killzone : shadow fall was exceptionnal. It screamed "Next Gen".
Fire from deep down looks so good that it becomes instantly suspect

i just need now GT6 and the last Guardian. please...

Yawnier

Banned
The beginning scene of Killzone: Shadowfall. That city on Vekta was just stunning.

Now, if only the game will have MP as good as KZ2 then I am in.

Sendou

I like how grass looks in Crysis 3, how buildings look in Killzone and parts of the Zelda demo too. Overall probably Infiltrator made the biggest impression on me but it didn't exactly blow me away neither.

Frodo

To be honest, everything in OP looks amazing, even though I don't like the art style in The Infiltrator demo that much.

AP is the most impressive IMHO, again, maybe because I love the style. And Zelda is the one I'm personally waiting the most to see how it ends up as a game (most probably totally different than the demo, but... Still)

eso76

Missed the fox engine keynote, just watched mgsv trailers and thought it was all there was at GDC.
Those gifs made me dig the tube for videos and after watching the whole keynote I am astonished.
I think kojipro made strides in photorealism.
I might even go as far as claiming that's the single most substantial advancement in the industry in recent years, what they're doing with lighting and shaders is amazing.
And it's not even next gen since we're supposed to get that kind of fidelity on ps360.

As usual, Agni's looks wonderful but you can't tell how much of it is baked, being a non interactive demo.

Wolfie5

They all look great, but my favourite of those are:
Zelda(every time I see a gif on that tech demo, makes me excited to see the next Zelda. Looks great.)
Deep down (reminded me of project offset. Here is hoping this one will deliver the goods.)
Watch Dogs (Damn, that city looks so alive. Can't wait to play it.)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

ozfunghi

We've reached that point where they all look great, imo. I just hope devs can keep making games like that without charging an arm and a leg, yet without going out of business.

When is the official retail/PC release?

Q4 2013 according to a response they posted on their official facebook page.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Curious, is anyone else annoyed that we're getting these tech demos/previews so many months before E3?

statham

I don't understand the love for deep down, maybe I didn't see all of it. To me killzone and battlefield look much better

Man

I really, really hope someone will be able to do Deep Downs flame graphics this generation.
And with someone I mean From Software and Dark Souls.

Blades64

Banned
What was the native resolution for the Zelda demo? I watched one video of a guy saying, "Here's the Zelda demo running in full 1080p", but I'm skeptical about that.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I genuinely wanted to post this gif and it's not a stealth bump to what I consider an awesome thread in which I enjoy the responses.
zeldahdytk4j.gif

Top Bottom