• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | July 2013 | Slow Month, Fast Games

Well, 4 out of 1000 is very little yes, but then again 4 out of 10 can be summed as "a lot" too.

We very rarely get English-released (I assume that Freedom game will be released in English since it's a 1st party game) full-fledged RPG games on Vita and a great number of what we actually get are all Monster Hunter like.

We have gotten 3 total, ragnarok, soul sac and some other thing that bombed iirc

vs the alteir games, p4g, Disgea and upcomig Ys, ffx/x2, Valhalla knights and demon gaze. About the only vita rpg releases we havent got are the tales remakes and the kiseki games but the latter aren't/didn't come to ps3 either

ReaperXL7

We have gotten 3 total, ragnarok, soul sac and some other thing that bombed iirc

vs the alteir games, p4g, Disgea and upcomig Ys, ffx/x2, Valhalla knights and demon gaze. About the only vita rpg releases we havent got are the tales remakes and the kiseki games but the latter aren't/didn't come to ps3 either

If your talking about Toukiden from Tecmo it actually seems to be doing really well. Sold a few Vitas in Japan.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Hmm, for some reason I forgot about Disgaea! Hahaha.

Yeah, you're probably right and I am wrong. Although surely it must also be noted that a lot of them are not original games?

Hmm, Disgaea 3 (port), Disgaea 4 (port), that Alterier game (port?), Ys, FFX/FFX-2 (both ports), Demon Gaze (confirmed english release?)... anything else that I might forget?

Original games, it seems like a lot of them are really MonHun-like games: Soul Sacrifice, Gods Eater 2 (let's just say this is a Vita game), Toukiden, Ragnarok Ace (though well this is basically the same as the 1st Ragnarok game), that Freedom game... hmm, anything else I missing?

Not really sure about Valhalla Knights 3, whether it will be a MonHun like games or not.

And I don't think we should count on games not leaving Japanese shore/not translated. I mean, for what if we can't play them? (well we can, but you know what I mean)

leroidys

Toukiden looks fantastic to me, but I don't want to get totally burned out on hunting games before Freedom Wars comes out if that's going to be better. I hope we see more of that game soon.

zulux21

I think we may see a God Eater 2 locaization at Gamescom.

Why would SCEA specifically pick God Eater Burst for PS+, So many other PSP games.

to be fair god eater burst was a replacement game after Orc Attack was no longer going to be given away with PS+

though it's possible that it could be announced for localization.... though I imagine if it will be it will be at a later date after namco can watch and see how the ps4 + a psv price cut effect vita sales and if it's worth releasing a game in english after those numbers come in.

I mean it doesn't even come out until Nov 14, 2013 in japan, and given it's a vita game they likely want to see in general how it will sell in japan first before they announce they are localizing it... I mean if it only manages to move 92.720 units in japan it's quite possible that they will not want to bother releasing it in english. I mean if i recall right the first game did horribly in english.

With how the new ip hunting games like soulsac and toukiden have been selling there is no chance something with some brand history like GE will bomb on vita in Japan. It will probably end up being the best selling vita game there by the end of it's first month.

Yeah, Toukiden looks from the upcoming games the most promisingly one to catch what makes monster hunter so addictive. Don't get me wrong Soul Sacrifice is fun but:
- lacks a good crafting system
- combat is compared to mh too simple
- armor is just cosmetic

Lore and monster design are great.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yeah, Toukiden looks from the upcoming games the most promisingly one to catch what makes monster hunter so addictive. Don't get me wrong Soul Sacrifice is fun but:
- armor is just cosmetic

Don't forget that the whole atmosphere is just so goddamn depressing.

- armor is just cosmetic

That's a good one. :lol

i C. Let XBone and WiiU absorb all the fumes for once lol
fashion_nod.gif

yeS, sis. That's the way to do things.

Preach it!
The Pwnee guys said to keep an eye on their twitter/facebook/website; if they could make crossbuy happen and confirm it while the game is in pre-order/PLAY 2013 promotion, it'd probably be a big deal to them, so hopefully they can figure that out sooner rather than later. I'm tempted to buy the PS3 copy for a "LIMBO" type surprise crossbuy, but I'd be pissed if I did and it didn't happen, because ideally I want the game on PC and Vita, as I want ALL my indies. :lol
Thank u for the investigation.

If they can confirm cross buy by Monday I'll get it along with stealth basterd.

If not, then I won't get either.

zulux21

With how the new ip hunting games like soulsac and toukiden have been selling there is no chance something with some brand history like GE will bomb on vita in Japan. It will probably end up being the best selling vita game there by the end of it's first month.

it most likely will do well, but given the current state of the NA and EU vita markets, holding off to have more information makes the most sense, since it also give more time for the NA and EU markets to pick up thanks to a price cut and ps4 remote play.

Massa

1st time I heard about Freedom Wars.

Now we have, what, 3 Monster Hunter-like games for Vita already? 4 if you count Gods Eater.

It is as if people are afraid to not creating full-fledged RPG games for Vita that doesn't copy Monster Hunter in some way in order to get some sales.

Well, not that I would blame them for being afraid, but it is just unfortunate.

At least we're gonna get Ys.

The reason you see Monster Hunter-like games coming out in Japan is because that's by far the most played genre in Japan right now. It's the same reason we saw so many shooters on PS3 and people did exactly what you're doing there, complained for years "oh no, another FPS". Hell, even XCOM was turned into an FPS.

Big publishers play it safe, that's how it is and how it always will be.

This also creates a snowball effect as creators also play these genres quite a bit and so are creatively interested in making a better entry themselves.

Thank u for the investigation.

If they can confirm cross buy by Monday I'll get it along with stealth basterd.

If not, then I won't get either.

I already pre-ordered Stealth Inc. (Stealth Bastard) for $8 since it is cross-buy.
Technically the Cloudberry Kingdom game doesn't come out until the update on 7/30, so they've got a bit of time if you're patient (or at least a ps+ member).

====

Did anyone mention Shahid saying this:
“2 Vita games, 1 PS4 game agreed today. About to see if I can get my US colleagues on the phone to do more. This week it’s been non-stop.”

Also, he's apparently trying to get Tengami, which looks like a 2D Tearaway 64 kind of...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jpgtduncCY

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The reason you see Monster Hunter-like games coming out in Japan is because that's by far the most played genre in Japan right now. It's the same reason we saw so many shooters on PS3 and people did exactly what you're doing there, complained for years "oh no, another FPS". Hell, even XCOM was turned into an FPS.

Big publishers play it safe, that's how it is and how it always will be.

This also creates a snowball effect as creators also play these genres quite a bit and so are creatively interested in making a better entry themselves.

but for FPS in the west other games actually sells (like Battlefield ,Crysis, Halo, Borderlands hell even Killzone) in Japan only Monster Hunter sells and the other can't even break half a million even if they are better than MonHun, I don't really know why they still keeping it, only MonHun is a big hit there and all the other games failed to get even in the same galaxy with it.

the western FPS situation while many think it's bad for gamers and publishers but still healthier and with more diversity than the MonHun and its clones situation in Japan.

Noi

but for FPS in the west other games actually sells (like Battlefield ,Crysis, Halo, Borderlands hell even Killzone) in Japan only Monster Hunter sells and the other can't even break half a million even if they are better than MonHun, I don't really know why they still keeping it, only MonHun is a big hit there and all the other games failed to get even in the same galaxy with it.

the western FPS situation while many think it's bad for gamers and publishers but still healthier and with more diversity than the MonHun and its clones situation in Japan.

So... Mon Hun is to the Hunting Genre as CoD is to FPS? You're actually contributing to his point.

FPS has had a long time to establish, most monhun clones are only very recent things.I would liken it more to ope world games. None of Mafia, Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs(true crime), Just cause etc are in the same galaxy as GTA (the only one to come remotely close is RRD which might as well be called GTA cowboy edition) but they all do well enough in their genre to keep getting made.

It's not like God Eater isn't a success because monhun sells better and the 300k that toukiden has done so far on psp/v is pretty good for a new ip in japan.

ReaperXL7

Did anyone mention Shahid saying this:

Also, he's apparently trying to get Tengami, which looks like a 2D Tearaway 64 kind of...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jpgtduncCY

That actually looks pretty awesome, reguardless of wether or not we are going to get many "AAA" announcements at Gamescom, I have a feeling there will still be allot of announcements for Vita there. Shahid talks about signing multiple games on a daily basis, so there still seems allot to announce. I enjoy indies so the more the merrier as long as they are good games. E3 had quite a few non old port indie announcements for Vita also which is a positive, and shows Sony is really starting to gain some major ground they did not have last gen.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
@pieatorium, well you have a point here as this is a still can be consider a "new" thing in Japan (MH is old as dirt tho but the clones started with God Eater 1)

So... Mon Hun is to the Hunting Genre as CoD is to FPS? You're actually contributing to his point.

he is completely right in that Japanese publishers try to copy MH and try to get that crowd just like CoD, but what I'm saying is this really the safe thing for them to do? because the Japanese market is different and so far there is not Halo or Battlefield like games for the hunting genre (as in other games that actually sell and have their million+ loyal userbase), that market is locked completely to MH and other games are just niche compared to it so it's not healthy to keep making clones that fail to sell.

crinale

At least Japanese audience don't see that...
If they give up on MonHun clones then that's pretty much end of Vita's presence in Japanese market (and relationship with Japanese third parties).

he is completely right in that Japanese publishers try to copy MH and try to get that crowd just like CoD, but what I'm saying is this really the safe thing for them to do? because the Japanese market is different and so far there is not Halo or Battlefield like games for the hunting genre (as in other games that actually sell and have their million+ loyal userbase), that market is locked completely to MH and other games are just niche compared to it so it's not healthy to keep making clones that fail to sell.

Among third parties, for Japanese market MH clones sell leagues better than any other genre, with the possible exception of DQ and FF.
GEB sold like 700K copies that not too many of Bamco's other IP's can beat.
Toukiden has just passed 300K (and still going) that has already surpassed KT's former biggest franchise (Dynasty Warriors).

Sid

@pieatorium, well you have a point here as this is a still can be consider a "new" thing in Japan (MH is old as dirt tho but the clones started with God Eater 1)

So God Eater didn't even sell a million?

I think you are over estimating how much games that aren't MH, Pokemon, and DQ sell in Japan. Mailine Resident Evil doesn't sell a million let alone a million+, same for MGS, Tales etc etc even 3d mario barely breaks a million.

Toukiden, one of those sales failure MH clones has sold more than Tekken 6 (or any semi recent fighting game release), More than Persona 4 on PS2 ect.

GE1 is above every individual Tales game except xillia 1 which it's only very slightly behind.

we know that GEB "shipped" only 700K http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/7176246.html

not sure if GEB and GB combined sold a million or not.

1 PSP 2010-02-04 3854 God Eater Namco Bandai Games 5229 617,828
2 PSP 2010-10-28 4581 GOD EATER BURST Namco Bandai Games 5229 436,158

Top Bottom