• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | June 2013 | Late Ports and Late Threads

mauaus

Shahid is about to come up with something for us:

@shahidkamal
Vitabros, Vita fans, GAFfers, listen up. Ready? This is for you.
My team is called Strategic Content. I’ll tell you what our mission is. Engage with developers and partners to sign great games.
We have a plan to deliver over 50 titles to PS Vita, some of which we have been announcing for many months. More announcements will come.
Those 50 titles are in just one year. Many from independent developers, some from publishers and others.
We are going to carry on working with developers and other partners to ensure great games come to PS Vita. We have senior management support
I spend my personal time to engage with customers and partners, relentlessly. If you know me, or have been following me, you know this
Some of the more upset fans (I love you, because you have passion for the machine that is my life) say this was not a good E3 for Vita.
I have to politely disagree. Here are some of the things specifically called out in what was mainly a PS4 conference
Walking Dead - Vita special.
God of War HD
Dead Nation
You know of Killzone and Tearaway

I had one diet coke to celebrate our beautiful press event yesterday, then I went back to my room and got back to work on Vita.
Here’s what we’re showing at E3:
Lone Survivor: Director’s Cut - massively enhanced, best on Vita
Hotline Miami - best on VitaStealth Inc: A Clone in the Dark - best on Vita
Luftrausers - day in date and frickin awesome on Vita - by award winning Vlambeer
Stick it to the Man on Vita - it is beautiful. See it.
Spelunky - best on Vita
And more. First time these games have all been seen together in public
We have over 20 titles on the slate which we haven’t announced for Vita. We are working non-stop to bring more.

I suddenly feel better

etrain911

Shahid is about to come up with something for us:

I just.....can't believe anything the dude says anymore without an extreme amount of salt and skepticism.
Vita was totally left out in the cold and it feels like the goalposts keep shifting. Now we're waiting til Gamescom, then TGS, and now some people have admitted defeat and are waiting out til the PS4 launch. If he says that they have over 50 titles then surely he can show us ONE that we haven't seen yet, right? Is that too much?

I have to politely disagree. Here are some of the things specifically called out in what was mainly a PS4 conference
Walking Dead - Vita special.
God of War HD
Dead Nation

All games already on the PS3 and more than a year old each at this point? That's not really showing much.

breakfuss

*not worth my tears anymore* Sorry, vita.

tumblr_men79qe8xM1qkuudp.gif

mauaus

Didnt know about these:

Luftrausers - day in date and frickin awesome on Vita - by award winning Vlambeer
Spelunky - best on Vita

etrain911

soooooo a bunch of indie games that you can get somewhere else for cheaper. Is that all sony has to hype the vita on?

There's also the big third party game that Shahid says is too soon to hype. Seeing as how this platform is fucking barren aside from indies, Tearaway, Killzone, and Muramasa, I don't know how "soon" you can consider "too soon" to be.

antibolo

Banned
I'm tempted to create a fake Shahid Twitter account now.

"The E3 presentation was so awesome! We announced a port, a port, a port, and two games that were already announced last year! Clearly the Vita has a bright future ahead! Now come see us at the booth so we can show you old indie games you've already played on everything else one year ago! Wooooo I am on fire!!!"

Novocaine

i for one like indie games

Me too. A lot of the sway towards me picking a Vita up was The Binding of Isaac Rebirth being released on it. Having Spelunky on the Vita will be nice too. With that being said though some new original titles would be so good.

xJavonta

Banned
I don't see why people are bitching. As long as Sony keeps bringing the games (indie or otherwise), the system isn't dead. I love my indies and 90% of the time they're better than a lot of the garbage we've been seeing in AAA titles lately.

I'm happy is what I'm saying.

etrain911

"Strategic Content"- the strategy appears to be starvation or some form of euthanasia.

I guess I'm super salty because I was really hyped for what this platform could do, I bought all of my games digitally, I got every major release, and I feel like all of that support is rewarded with nothing. Eh. I guess I'm just pissy tonight, I'm sure I'll try to see some optimism tomorrow. Say what you will about Shahid, dude is super passionate about his job and about the vita.

i for one like indie games
I liked them too, when I got them last year for 1 cent on Humble Bundle or $3 on Steam.

It would be in Shahid's best interests to just stop teasing. The 2378234th port of Walking Dead seems like a big deal when you're the one who signed it, but everyone else already played through it three times on their smart fridge.

He lacks any sense of perspective because he's too personally involved to gauge the strength of this "lineup" with any measure of objectivity. It's natural for someone so committed to a job the way he is. But it does him no favors to be this incredulous at our disappointment, somehow expecting "callouts" to GOW HD and Dead Nation to placate us.

I really wish Twitter and the gaming industry never met.

Yanksfan

I liked them too, when I got them last year for 1 cent on Humble Bundle or $3 on Steam.

It would be in Shahid's best interests to just stop teasing. The 2378234th port of Walking Dead seems like a big deal when you're the one who signed it, but everyone else already played through it three times on their smart fridge.

He lacks any sense of perspective because he's too personally involved to gauge the strength of this "lineup" with any measure of objectivity. It's natural for someone so committed to a job the way he is. But it does him no favors to be this incredulous at our disappointment, somehow expecting "callouts" to GOW HD and Dead Nation to placate us.

I really wish Twitter and the gaming industry never met.

I'm excited for them. It's getting hard lugging my smart fridge around with me everywhere I go.

I was really hoping for a Vita price drop this week. Bummed I passed on the $50 GC deal Amazon had last week. I may just succumb soon, thinking about just the WiFi one.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I just got back from E3, and I had a great time!

I played quite a few Vita titles. If you're interested, I can give you guys my thoughts on each one I played. They are:

Tearaway
Killzone: Mercenary (MP and SP)
Jak and Daxter Collection
Muramasa: Rebirth
Dragon's Crown
Flower
Batman: Arkham Origins: Blackgate
Y's Celseta

I didn't spend more than 10 or minutes on each title, so it's not like I have crazy in depth impressions, just my quick thoughts. Let me know.

I played quite a few Vita titles. If you're interested, I can give you guys my thoughts on each one I played. They are:

Tearaway
Dragon's Crown
Flower
Y's Celseta

I didn't spend more than 10 or minutes on each title, so it's not like I have crazy in depth impressions, just my quick thoughts. Let me know.

Impressions on
tumblr_m403dltfk91qmb7u4o6_r1_250.gif

Please.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
this was Vita E3.

tumblr_mkppqkY1zY1rje8eao1_r2_250.gif
tumblr_mkppqkY1zY1rje8eao2_r2_250.gif

we wanted fantasy dancing smiling girl but we just got the dirty homeless hungry girl that can't dace.

and I think Shahid helped with this even if he didn't do it on purpose and even if the "games" he was talking about will be on other events but his tweets timing his posts in here were just aiming for E3, because why hyping before E3, why at that time, it don't matter now but I know for sure that one of the reasons I rebought Vita was his hyping for Vita upcoming games, the super amazing game and the "dozens" of games (the other reasons was that I found PSP unplayable thanks to it's horrible stick) so even that I set my expectations low I was still waiting for at least two big games, but in the end we got nothing.

TWD being the holiday bundle mean Vita is screwed, sure that interactive comic thingy was a big hit on consoles and PC but this also mean there is no other games coming no COD no AC no nothing for the holiday season which can tell you a lot about Vita third party situation, also the no price cut tell you that they gave up and don't want to even try saving the thing and it's just not good at all, SCE Japan Studio turned it's back on handheld, they gave up and they focus on PS3 and PS4 now and I think Bend Studio (Sony only handheld studio now) will jump on that PS4 bus too just like Ready at Dawn (who got Santa Monica help to make a PS4 games)

PSVita was the wrong system in the wrong time for Sony, it was released in time Sony studios were preparing for PS4 it was fated to not have strong first party support and when they lost Japan and Japanese publishers (after Nintendo got MH) early on they gave up on getting third party support and left us with empty dreams of a better system, I feel bad, re buying the system two weeks before this complete disaster, the weakass lineup which was my problem and the reason I sold it didn't got fixed, but I now knew that the system is is basically as good as dead now and I really think they'll discontinue it in 2014 or maybe even earlier.

I'll get rid of the poor system for good this time after Tearaway (because look fun as hell) and wont be rebuying it again or any Playstation handheld ever again, lessons learned.

So God of War HD Collection is basically a port of a port.

PlayStation Vita: Portception

I don't know which is worse, SCEJ MonHun clones strategy or SCEA/SCEE old ports and indie games no one care about strategy.

Empty

Tearaway
Dragon's Crown
Flower
Y's Celseta

very interested in batman and how the touch stuff is in tearaway (is there much exploration too?)

Tearaway
Dragon's Crown
Flower
Y's Celseta

Dude, gimme the deets on Killzone MP, Dragon's Crown and Batman!

Flying Hamster HD just got released and is a good game worthy of you money.

Buy it, play it and let the sweet graphics erase that bitter taste.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Flying Hamster HD just got released and is a good game worthy of you money.

Buy it, play it and let the sweet graphics erase that bitter taste.

While other system enjoy big new releases, Vita get a port of a mini game that already playable on it. ahhhhmmazing

worthy of you money

now it's one dollar more and you can't play it on your PS3 like the mini version, worthy ur moniz dis version is not.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'll gladly believe he has more games coming but Walking Dead was announced a few months ago. A PS2 collection port of ports and a PS3 PSN port isn't a big deal. We knew about everything interesting and nothing new was surprising or... wanted, really (God of War, port of the 'sorry about the PSN hack' zombie game, free to play junk from Japan).

I came in expecting nothing and got nothing. At least Dragon's Crown had a good trailer.

While other system enjoy big new releases, Vita get a port of a mini game that already playable on it. ahhhhmmazing

now it's one dollar more and you can't play it on your PS3 like the mini version, worthy ur moniz dis version is not.

Redone graphics and dem trophies is worth more for me.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Cool, I'll just go down my list!

Tearaway: Media Molecule simply knows how to create charming, endearing game characters and worlds. Truth told, I wasn't sold on Tearaway, despite being a huge LittleBigPlanet fan. Visually, it looks fricking gorgeous on the Vita. Despite the simple art design, the visuals pop, and are very colorful and charming. The music is equally sublime, and the humor is great as well. I had a smile on my face the entire time I was playing through the demo. From the little bit I played, there didn't seem to be much exploration, but it was a demo.

Touch gimmicks: I actually liked them, and they were well implemented. The back touch stuff, which you use in different ways, but in the demo, activating the bounce pads your character uses to reach higher areas (he/she can't jump it looks like, so the only way to reach higher stuff is to use the bounce pads, which have some light puzzle solving in some areas. The platforming is pretty tricky sometimes, and it definitely doesn't seem as simplistic as I expected (although, LBP platforming also was deceptively simple at the start, and got pretty hardcore near the end). Overall, I enjoyed this game very much, and it is now on my must purchase list.

Killzone Mercenary: Holy shit. This game. Despite having some graphical showcases like Uncharted and Gravity Rush on the Vita, Killzone Mercenary is fricking gorgeous. Holy crap. To date, the best looking game on the Vita. Shit, more like the best looking game on a handheld I've ever played. The multi-player I played was fun, rewarding you with money and each time you kill an enemy, they drop a card, which you collect. After you get a certain number of kills, you can activate an augment of sorts, that gives you a cool ability, like seeing enemies that are hidden. This ability doesn't last long, but it's neat.

The single player portion of the game also looked and ran amazingly well. Rock solid framerate, and some of the most impressive textures I've seen on the Vita. Beautiful game, and the controls were still Killzone heavy, but very responsive. I was headshotting Helghast like a boss.

Jak and Daxter Collection: I'll keep this one short: On the Vita screen, the game looks great. The screens we've been looking at on our monitor don't really do the game justice. It looked better to me on the Vita's 5" OLED, than it does on my 40" HDTV on the PS3. The framerate also seemed pretty solid, but I don't think it was locked at 30 or 60. It controlled well, though, and I'll definitely pick it up. This isn't like Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault. That game is an embarrassment.

Muramasa: Rebirth: I admit I picked up the game after somebody sat it down, so I had no idea what I was doing. Looked gorgeous, and the combat seemed fun. I was getting my ass kicked, but I was enjoying myself. I'm definitely picking it up as well.

Dragon's Crown: Gorgeous game, and the combat was fun. I love the animation, and it's just all very fluid, with a silky smooth framerate with responsive controls (just like Muramasa above). I didn't play it for long, but it's a beat em' up. Not much else to really say about it. Really liked it a lot, and I want more time with it.

Flower: It's Flower on the Vita. What else is there to say? Looked fantastic! And her I thought all those blades of grass were taxing the PS3's SPU's, but I literally didn't notice much of a difference between the two versions visually. The motion controls work really well, although it's a little weird since you move the Vita (and therefore the screen), when you're controlling the game, and that can lead to you seeing the screen at a weird angle.

Batman: Blackgate: I was really excited for this one, but have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, it looks awesome. Sure, it doesn't look as detailed as Batman: Arkham Asylum, but it looks really fricking good. Crispy visuals, and fluid framerate. They also managed to translate the Arkham combat to the 2D plane really well. It flows just as smooth and naturally as the console game. While I was playing it, I couldn't help but wonder why they didn't just make it a 3D game like the console versions. I have a feeling it has more to do with the 3DS than it does the Vita's capabilities.

Now onto the not so great: The game felt really stiff. Batman moves really fricking slow. There doesn't seem to be any analog control to his movement, despite using the analog stick to control you. You have to press the X button to get him to sprint, but even that feels stiff. Maybe it's because I'm used to the smooth, responsive controls of a Metroid, or Castlevania: SOTN, or, more recently, Guacamelee, but Batman just feels so damn heavy.

I do like how they translated his gadgets and moveset to the 2D plane. Using the grappling hook and batarangs are neat, and the touch screen has a cool gimmick were you can put a finger on the screen, going into search mode, and highlight points of interest and get information out of them. Pretty cool. Tapping the screen will enable/disable his detective vision.

I did enjoy the game, but I'm hoping that they speed up Batman's movement. It was really early in the game (like, opening tutorial type stuff), so I'm optimistic. It's still on my radar as a purchase.

Y's Celseta: I'm still playing through Y's Seven, so I didn't play Celseta long, because I didn't want to inadvertently spoil myself. Graphically, it looks clean, but honestly just looks like a crisp PSP title. The combat was very familiar to me from Seven, and I enjoyed it. I didn't get to dive into the other options in the game, again, because I didn't want to spoil myself in some way. I'll probably pick it up, but after I finish Seven.

There were a lot of playable Vita titles at the show floor (granted they were all games that were announced already, I think), and lots of people playing them. Overall, I was really impressed with all the games I played (I targeted the ones that I was personally interested in, and passed on a lot of them that just didn't grab my attention).

Sadly, I'm not going to E3 for all 3 days (I could, but I gotta make money, and missing 3 days of work is quite a bit of money out of my pocket!). I have a great time, and I'm even more excited about the games I listed above than I was before.

The ones I enjoyed the most:

Tearaway (must buy for me)
Killzone Mercenary (must buy for me)
Dragon's Crown (must buy for me)

I'm an incredibly satisfied Vita owner, truth told. I'm optimistic for the future.

Vodh

When VitaGAF first told me they were following Shahid Kamal Ahmad I had one thing to say: "The guy from those God-awful tweets?" "AMAZING big title coming to Vita." Yeah, nice slogan, Shahid. But it caught VitaGAF's attention. And then I started to pay attention to Shahid and all that he's been doing as our new business development manager. And you know what? I believe in Shahid. I believe that on his watch, Vita can feel a little safer, a little more optimistic. Look at this face. This is the face of Vita's bright future.

Shai-Tan

Banned
How was the frame rate on Killzone? It didn't feel choppy?

edit: It's also good to hear about Jak. The only game I played in the series is Jak II and only until I got stuck early on (guess I was too young to figure it out) so it's a whole new series for me.

Thank you Fig for the impressions. I'll write my impressions on Sony's Vita coverage real quick:

They gave Vita a few minutes, touted sheer total number of game releases, but did no demos and revealed no big new games. I was pretty upset that we got no "big reveals", but overall I think there is some support. Still, it's not as good as we had hoped or wanted. I knew this conference was meant to be mostly PS4 coverage but with how much coverage PS3 got, I was pretty bummed Vita got very little. Please Shahid, don't let us down man. Keep it up, keep signing Vita games and hopefully that big one gets revealed at Gamescom :/

tyranid5

Neo Member
.....Vita needed some blockbuster caliber mobile hype. Got none.
Tearaway will be a solid game, i trust MM.
I love Killzone, but Nihilistic has ruined my hope for a good FPS after making CoD and Resistance....... so i'm not holding my breath.
I've been excited for Dragon's Crown. But it's not an Atlus game that will carry the weight like P4G tried to and none of these stand out to that level.

Time to ignore all the vita rumors from now on. The only one i had paid attention to was the one about Sony bringing Warrior's Lair to E3. But.... nope.

All these ports are going to be the death of the Vita.... i can wait till 2014-2015 to re-play some of these ports on my PS Vita through the Gaikai service. I own them all on my PS3, I'm not putting more money down for Jak & Daxter, GoW, or dead nation. All games that i have downloaded on my PS3 and haven't touched in at least a year. If GoW4 or Jak 4 had been announced.... build that hype train, but I don't see the point otherwise.

The Order 1886 seems cool and interesting.... but i gotta say it's terrible news for VitaGAF. It looks so good, but to make it one of the devs who gave us the awesome GoW PSP games & Daxter. If they are working on a PS4 game..... who's left? (that said ReadyAtDawn seems to be doing a great job with their console debut and i'm happy for them).

We probably won't see Freedom Wars again until, maybe TGS..... maybe.
SCE San Diego is probably working on next year's The Show.... and possibly Warrior's Lair (at this point i think that project was canned), but most likely are working on some kind of PS4 game to bring the new PSeye &/or the PS Move to PS4.
SCE London, is probably working on Sing/Eye/Wonder kinda thing for the PS4. If they made some kinda Eyepet game for the Vita, then i could have a companion to be depressed with me.
Zipper & Liverpool are shuttered. But shout out to them, because i enjoy playing their swan songs. And hope that Polyphony will be able to take a break and make a good simulation race game for the vita, inbetween GT6 and PS4 GT.
Then there's studio bend.... they've made multiple PS Vita games, even if the 2nd if just an add-on card game.
Any unmentioned studios, with unannounced projects are working on PS4-something without a doubt. Half of the active studios above are probably focusing on PS4-stuff.

The future is grim, very grim. PS Vita, the companion device.

Top Bottom