• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | May 2013 | Lovecraftian Wasteland

VanWinkle

Anyone tried that Imaginstruments app they quietly added last week?

Messed a bit with it, I don't really understand it. It seems worse than that Beat Trellis on PS Mobile (which is sad, a PSM app being better than a native Vita app, sigh).

Seems utterly useless. I had a moderate amount of fun for about 30 seconds.

DiscoJer

Anyone tried that Imaginstruments app they quietly added last week?

Messed a bit with it, I don't really understand it. It seems worse than that Beat Trellis on PS Mobile (which is sad, a PSM app being better than a native Vita app, sigh).

According to the co-developer's Facebook page they had problems: "Due to diverse production issues, the outcome is smaller than the amount of efforts spent".

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
When I first played it on ps3, I didn't like that much, but playing on the vita was just perfect. Great for gaming on the go

I play it 99% on the Vita. I think it's just a fantastic handheld game, and it looks and plays so damn well on it. That's why it guts me so much that Ratchet: FFA sucks so bad on the Vita. There is really no excuse why it runs as poorly as it does.

All Stars is pretty much a perfect port of the PS3 version, with only a slight hit to graphics. Framerate and controls are perfect.

xJavonta

Banned
Man I forgot how much Toto complains. It's like being privy to an old grumpy man's thoughts.
It's pretty bad. I've been contemplating putting Toto on ignore. And I NEVER put anyone on ignore.

Almost bought another Vita game today. Then I remembered that I still haven't finished P4G and AssCreed and didn't. I felt proud lol

Now if only I could do that on my PC...

I play it 99% on the Vita. I think it's just a fantastic handheld game, and it looks and plays so damn well on it. That's why it guts me so much that Ratchet: FFA sucks so bad on the Vita. There is really no excuse why it runs as poorly as it does.

All Stars is pretty much a perfect port of the PS3 version, with only a slight hit to graphics. Framerate and controls are perfect.

agree

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Still no june thread?

I love how totori+ makes fun of its limitations, like when totori screams "barrel" at the omnipresent barrels lol

I noticed that the english dub is nowhere near as complete as the japanese one, the english one voice only certain events, while the japanese one voices everything, i like to understand what characters say, but i want everything voiced :(

Takao

Banned
Still no june thread?

I love how totori+ makes fun of its limitations, like when totori screams "barrel" at the omnipresent barrels lol

I noticed that the english dub is nowhere near as complete as the japanese one, the english one voice only certain events, while the japanese one voices everything, i like to understand what characters say, but i want everything voiced :(

I'm pretty sure NISA only dubs as much as they're required to pass SCEA's submissions, lol.

TheChaos0

Still no june thread?

The barrel thing is a long running thing in Atelier games. So are the punies and Hagel, Pamela shows up in a lot of them too.

English dub is only partial, another reason why I preferred the Japanese VO.

Jennipeg

Look at this again
screen_00178-noscale.jpg

and this
screen_00298-noscale.jpg

this is bad, jaggies-fest,bad shadows, low polygon count, very short draw distance they're trying to hide using fog (like something on N64), and just ugly looking.

Yeah I can see the jaggies in those shots, are they upscaled? I haven't noticed anything like that in gameplay videos, and I really like the art style myself so i'm not too worried about it. The sound effects do make the game super cute, I can't resist it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I got Virtua Tennis 4 in a fire sale for 1.25 euros (!).

This game runs AMAZING.

It's a solid game and I enjoy it, but I'm not quite feeling it the way I did with previous VT games. I think the series needs a bit of a reboot. Then again at the same time I wouldn't want them to make the series turn away from its arcade and really accessible roots. I certainly don't want to see the series turn in to Top Spin, but some major changes need to be made. Like I said it's a very enjoyable game though and I'd imagine especially so if it's your first VT game. It just hasn't gripped me the way VT1 or 3 did. But yes, it does run very well on Vita.

It's a solid game and I enjoy it, but I'm not quite feeling it the way I did with previous VT games. I think the series needs a bit of a reboot. Then again at the same time I wouldn't want them to make the series turn away from its arcade and really accessible roots. I certainly don't want to see the series turn in to Top Spin, but some major changes need to be made.

Care to elaborate? I only played the VT on Dreamcast and this one on Vita. Never played any Top Spin. So I'm not sure what you mean really.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Care to elaborate? I only played the VT on Dreamcast and this one on Vita. Never played any Top Spin. So I'm not sure what you mean really.

Top Spin is to Virtua Tennis what Gran Turismo is to Need for Speed. One is more arcadey and accessible and the other is a better simulation of the sport with more depth.

This is more a personal problem to be honest. I should elaborate. I am NOT saying VT4 is a weaker installment in the franchise. It isn't. I'm just personally not feeling it as much because VT isn't new anymore. It just hasn't evolved all that much, and I think the series could use some gameplay advancements that have more depth, without going all the way to Top Spin territory. Don't take this the wrong way either. VT4 does have differences in gameplay to VT3, but it still feels like same old Virtua Tennis and the gameplay does feel a bit too simplistic at this point.

It's a tough thing for Sega to overcome. The appeal of the series is the easy to pick up and play arcade nature and I wouldn't want them to change that too much, but at the same time without major changes and more gameplay depth added the series is inevitably not going to be as fun to me as previous games. Like I said, maybe it's just a personal problem but even them I do enjoy the game a lot.

I like these.

We need a hype E3 thread title while maintaining the literary class of this months title. lol

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | June 2013 | Great E³xpectations
I like what you did with it. I tried to come up with a similar pun, but Great Exp3ctations seemed like just a slightly worse idea than having Electroplankton make the thread.

Jennipeg

Where are you guys pre ordering Dragon's Crown? I checked Amazon (UK) and they don't have it listed. Do we have a release date yet? Really can't wait to get my hands on it.

Where are you guys pre ordering Dragon's Crown? I checked Amazon (UK) and they don't have it listed. Do we have a release date yet? Really can't wait to get my hands on it.
It's an Atlus game, so expect to be waiting a while for a UK/EU release. :/

I might import, but I'm worried it'll get DLC.

Arkain

I feel like playing Final Fantasy VII and IX again, but I live in the EU and I heard that most PSOne classics on the EU PSN are the PAL versions, slowdown included.

Anyone here play them? Was the slowdown noticeable?

leng jai

It's a solid game and I enjoy it, but I'm not quite feeling it the way I did with previous VT games. I think the series needs a bit of a reboot. Then again at the same time I wouldn't want them to make the series turn away from its arcade and really accessible roots. I certainly don't want to see the series turn in to Top Spin, but some major changes need to be made. Like I said it's a very enjoyable game though and I'd imagine especially so if it's your first VT game. It just hasn't gripped me the way VT1 or 3 did. But yes, it does run very well on Vita.

The gameplay of Virtua Tennis has turned to utter shite since number 2. The Vita version is outrageously unrealistic and (shockingly) not in ways that actually make the game more fun.

Tomodachi

I feel like playing Final Fantasy VII and IX again, but I live in the EU and I heard that most PSOne classics on the EU PSN are the PAL versions, slowdown included.

FF9 is a slow game on its own (de)merits. But yeah, PSOne games on the store are EU versions unless otherwise specified (see Resident Evil 3 and a few others). That means slowed down and with messed up aspect ratio (but you can correct that manually on the Vita, although I think that might cause some graphical unpleasantries).

Jennipeg

It's an Atlus game, so expect to be waiting a while for a UK/EU release. :/

I might import, but I'm worried it'll get DLC.

Aw that's too bad. I got all excited when I saw people pre ordering. I'll just have to check Amazon every so often. Who normally publishes Atlus games in Europe? Is it Deep Silver? I think they published Catherine.

I'm playing 9 right now and it is honestly really slow. But I think it was always that way, it just seems worse because I haven't played it in years. Plus I don't think it looks great, I turn Bilinear filtering off because it just looks blurry with it on. I'll stick with jaggies, on a positive note, i'm on disk 4 and don't even notice the issues any more. After a few hours it's totally fine, and a great game.

LTWheels

Can anyone see the ps4 remote play with the vita being not that great? As the vita has no clickable sticks and is lacking shoulder buttons, I can see it limiting the effectiveness of the remote play function for a lot of games. The backtouch screen is not adequate enough to simulate those buttons.

Also picked up VT4 for £4; great game.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The gameplay of Virtua Tennis has turned to utter shite since number 2. The Vita version is outrageously unrealistic and (shockingly) not in ways that actually make the game more fun.

Virtua Tennis has always been unrealistic. Maybe you should go back and play the original VT. VT4 really isn't much more unrealistic than previous games other than the new super shot mechanic. VT3 was actually far more unrealistic to be honest. Besides if you want a realistic simulation Tennis game that's what Top Spin is for.

Top Bottom