• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita Remote Play (PS4) Is Awful

When it works, its amazing. Understandable lag, but for certain games it's perfectly fine.

That said I do share connection issues, has a bad habit of dropping randomly.
Though i suspect my problem is with this terrible stock router the ISP gave me, Destiny's been giving me problems to. Need to replace it.

I find it works great but only on direct from PS4 to Vita.

If it's through router it's only max 540p60 stream and there is more input lag.

But direct from PS4 to Vita is 720p60 and is way more responsive though I do play RP like only 10 meters from my PS4.

SGRX

PS4 remote play was extremely unreliable for me until I replaced my router a few months ago (from an Asus AC66 to an AC87, due to the former having terrible coverage at home). It went from constant dropouts, disconnects and lag, to working pretty much perfectly. This is all from within my house; I haven't had a chance to try it out while away from home yet.

I wouldn't say that it is as responsive as playing on the PS4, and the Vita controls are significantly less comfortable for me, but it works very well for what it is, and definitely adds value to the system.

ayartalha

Neo Member
Even when some app is being downloaded on the ps4, i do not have any issues. Remote play was the main reason i bought vita.

ss_lemonade

Is it basically impossible to get decent remote play when the ps4 isn't hard wired to your router? Both my ps4 and vita have a 100% wifi link to my router and even then, things get hairy really quick. Eventually after a few minutes, the stream freezes and kicks me out. Also sometimes, when connecting, I would get a message telling me that my net connection is too slow or something, which doesn't make much sense since I'm trying to connect locally. Direct connect works just as bad too. While it doesn't kick me out too often, I almost always just get a stream that turns into a pixely mess unless I'm in the same room as the PS4

My ps4 is nowhere close to my router so I can't easily run a cable between them. Powerline doesn't work well too with the sockets close to my ps4. Every other device I have that offers similar streaming services work no problem so I don't think there's anything wrong with my network setup (I have an ac68u by the way). I just want to play bloodborne in bed :(

philz

I don't understand how such a large subset of a community so focused on graphics is ok with very noticeable input lag. And I'm not just talking about Vita and PS4, I'm talking about Shield TV and PC (over GbE), Steam Link and PC (over GbE), and PS4 to PS TV (again, over GbE). I own or have owned all of them and it all sucks.

Cant play on bed either. Wired PS4, direct connection. 100% signal to PS4 according to my phone yet my Vita can only maintain standard around 75% of the time.

barit

My Remote Play works flawless. Direct connection, same room, 100% signal. I love it cuz I can always watch TV while still playing Fallout 4 on Vita. Best feature on PS4 imo

ss_lemonade

I don't understand how such a large subset of a community so focused on graphics is ok with very noticeable input lag. And I'm not just talking about Vita and PS4, I'm talking about Shield TV and PC (over GbE), Steam Link and PC (over GbE), and PS4 to PS TV (again, over GbE). I own or have owned all of them and it all sucks.
Their a great way to get my pc games easily to my TV. Also maybe I'm just not as sensitive to input lag. Some games though seem to have more noticeable lag. Witcher 3 for example to my Shield Portable has been the worst for some reason. Steam streaming works great though. Xbox One to my laptop works well too, though I haven't had much reason to use its remote streaming feature.

Bottom line is they all work a billion times better than what I've seen with the ps4

Afa

Remote play works fine for me, I recently have just been playing Fallout 4 in my room (where the WiFi router is, PS4's in the next room).

btw Fallout 4 on Vita's pretty good, controls gets tailored for the handheld so no R2/L2/R3/L3 issues. Aside from resolution, i'd prefer the Vita.

philz

Their a great way to get my pc games easily to my TV. Also maybe I'm just not as sensitive to input lag. Some games though seem to have more noticeable lag. Witcher 3 for example to my Shield Portable has been the worst for some reason. Steam streaming works great though. Xbox One to my laptop works well too, though I haven't had much reason to use its remote streaming feature.

Bottom line is they all work a billion times better than what I've seen with the ps4

I agree that the lag varies from game to game on the PC solutions for whatever reasons, but I haven't played anything where I wasn't aware of it. Honestly I think the far better solution is to have everything run locally and cloud sync game states. Pretty curious what the NX does here.

Top Bottom