• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita Remote Play (PS4) Is Awful

Rocky

Banned
I mean, it works. But, yeah, I was disappointed as well. So far, only the Wii U has provided a streaming solution that works flawlessly. Very strange that only Nintendo has seemed to figure out how to pull it off hardware wise.

Not really. It doesn't work from more than 20 feet away from the Wii U.

I mean, it works. But, yeah, I was disappointed as well. So far, only the Wii U has provided a streaming solution that works flawlessly. Very strange that only Nintendo has seemed to figure out how to pull it off hardware wise.

There is a thread in front of you post of people for whom it's works flawlessly.

When Nintendo gets it to work across the Internet they'll really have something. :)

taybul

I was able to play a good bit of Bloodborne remotely, 4 states away around December of last year. At home ironically I would get time outs sometimes even a room away. Guess it's hit or miss. Haven't tried since I upgraded my wifi router but will see later.

My vita 1000 is pretty terrible at remote play but my friend's 2000 seems to work better, even though we're on the same PS4 for some reason.

Prezhulio

Like others have said It works like shit for me unless you:

1) Ethernet network your ps4
2) enable direct connection for remote play on ps4
3) turn off wifi power save mode on vita

After doing these three thing and once they updated to "high" remote play settings option, I was genuinely impressed with how well it works. If only there were true r2/l2 and r3/l3 on the vita, would be flawless.

It's so infuriatingly hit or miss.

Sometimes it works perfectly.

Other time it's unplayable.

Often it has better performance at other people's houses than in my own...and I've tried all the setting combinations. I have no clue what the deal is with remote play.

I have used it a lot, with GTA Online, but my overall opinion of it is not great.

jaxpunk

Works like a champ at my house and I'll occasionally take it to my sisters when I watch my niece, works great there too.

I've taken it to a few friends houses and the only one I had a issue at is the cheap ass friend who literally bought the cheapest no name router money could buy at walmart. It will connect but I get alot of video corruption.

I respect the tech, how smooth remote works with PS4 and all that, but playing a console game on the Vita plus controls ( which is a nightmare on every game ) its just not there and never will be.

It's a shame more games don't put thought into remapping controls for remote play. Destiny and Ass Creed are two of the better examples of it.

Screen_Shot_2014-09-05_at_11.34.29_AM.0.png

The fuck?! This changes everything. Fuck! I didn't know about this! Fuck fuck!

Um yeah what Vince said, holy shit... does this actually work pretty well? I took Destiny for a Remote Play spin a year ago, but in my mind I was trying to shoot with the back pad or something. If this really works well, then that's kind of a huge deal to me.

danthefan

Just played an hour of Diablo 3 via remote play, bit of judder now and then but overall it's fantastic and I don't make nearly enough use of it really.

Conduit

Banned
Works really well for me.

Thank you. This. it's just not a well implemented feature. Period.

I never believe the people who say it works well. That or they're just ok with ridiculous lag. I have the vita wifi power save feature turned off, and 40mb dsl to a fiber line. Awesome asus router. Security settings are WEP on the router, as suggested. Shit is terrible and always has been. Have had both the OG vita, vita tv, and new lcd vita. It sucks on all of them. Direct wifi connection to ps4 is also terrible.

So, you two don't believe others when they say that Remote Play works well?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Vita TV has too much lag but vita itself is pretty great with it. I wish I could get one of those r2 l2 grips though.

It's a shame more games don't put thought into remapping controls for remote play. Destiny and Ass Creed are two of the better examples of it.

Screen_Shot_2014-09-05_at_11.34.29_AM.0.png

Not listed:

Back Touch Pad (Right) - Lock/Unlock the Dismantle Option for Gear
(maybe left too, I can't remember)

And I agree that Destiny is a great example of remapping controls for the Vita Remote Play. I probably log more hours on this game via my Vita than the PS4 and it feels so natural.

j-wood

Um yeah what Vince said, holy shit... does this actually work pretty well? I took Destiny for a Remote Play spin a year ago, but in my mind I was trying to shoot with the back pad or something. If this really works well, then that's kind of a huge deal to me.

Yeah, Destiny is fantastic with remote play. Granted I would raid on it or whatever, but it's perfectly for doing the grindy tasks like bounties, the daily, etc.

Apath

Are we still talking about remote play performance here?

You lost me.

Edit: maybe PStv WiFi is all around, a bit shit?
Yes, sorry--I was trying to say that the PSTV's WiFi seems to be the issue more than anything. If the PSTV's WiFi is shit, then remote play will be shit for it.
Like others have said It works like shit for me unless you:

1) Ethernet network your ps4
2) enable direct connection for remote play on ps4
3) turn off wifi power save mode on vita

After doing these three thing and once they updated to "high" remote play settings option, I was genuinely impressed with how well it works. If only there were true r2/l2 and r3/l3 on the vita, would be flawless.
Doing all three of things does nothing to improve my remote play experience, which ranges from a blurry laggy mess to unplayable.

I only use it to watch movies from my PS4 with media player and it works great. I did try it with MGSV once and everything looked fine, but I only messed around in the FOB menues so there was no actual real gameplay involved.

R2/R3 and L2/L3 being on the rear touchpad is definitely the biggest reason why I havn't been playing on my vita much. Extremely uncomfortable.

It feels awkward as hell to me, but I don't know how it could be mapped better.

Keratay

Neo Member
I don't know how you guys manage to play on a public network. When I tried to connect to my ps4 from home during vacation (it was in my dorm at uni) it wouldn't even connect. Just fails and tells me my connection is too slow.

Yeah I normally don't bother unless I am already in the same room and don't feel like getting out of bed.

I did mange to finish TLoU on grounded over Wi-Fi an accomplishment I find not to shabby.

Hollycat

OMG, everyone who said to turn off the direct connection is a genius. I'm playing dark souls 2 and I cant tell if theres any lag.

DrXym

I think the biggest issue with remote play aside from control differences is that most PS4 games simply aren't designed to run on a 5" display. Things like menus, huds, maps etc. are miniscule and in some cases almost unreadable especially since the resolution is lower too.

I don't have much problem with the streaming however. Aside from arcade / twitch shooters the response is okay.

ZOONAMI

Works really well for me.

So, you two don't believe others when they say that Remote Play works well?

I think that "works well" and especially "flawlessly" is extremely exaggerated. That, or I've bought 3 defective pieces of vita hardware.

Regardless, my experience with Sony and remote play is not good at all. And the generally mixed perception of it leads me to believe it just doesn't really work that well, at least consistently. It's kind of a known quantity that the wifi chips Sony uses are garbage, so it isn't really surprising.

wrowa

I gave up on it, since for me it's always just hit and miss: Sometimes it'll work great, sometimes it won't at all. It's nice when it works, but it's just too unreliable for me to use. Not to mention that the controls are always quite iffy as well, since the Vita just doesn't has enough buttons. Games that require the rear touchpad are pretty much unplayable: I hate that damn thing.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I think the biggest issue with remote play aside from control differences is that most PS4 games simply aren't designed to run on a 5" display. Things like menus, huds, maps etc. are miniscule and in some cases almost unreadable especially since the resolution is lower too.

I don't have much problem with the streaming however. Aside from arcade / twitch shooters the response is okay.
I agree with this.

ElCidTmax

Works perfectly for me. I have my PS4 hooked up via ethernet. I was able to play GTAV on my Vita in Los Angeles, connected to my PS4 in San Francisco and it was 100% solid.

Some tips:

1) Turn off power save mode on the Vita

Settings > Power Save Settings > 'Use Wi-Fi in Power Save Mode' should be off

2) If you can connect the PS4 up via ethernet, it's way better.

Frankly, this is the way to go even if you don't own a Vita. You'll get much much better download speeds on the PS4. Not wired for ethernet? You might want to consider ethernet over power solutions which work pretty well (eg. http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/)

3) If you ever plan to connect via the Internet, you should forward the correct ports on your router.
http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9539/~/ps4™-remote-play-and-second-screen

Recommended:

Minimum upload/download connection speeds of 5mbs down and 1mbs up for Remote Play via the Internet.
Port forwarding of TCP port 9295, and UDP ports 9296 and 9297. If these ports are unavailable, it might be possible to use ports 9295 through 9304 for both TCP and UDP.

4) If you want to connect wirelessly, you can choose to connect directly instead of through your router. There is a setting on the PS4 side for this to connect to the 'PS4 as Wireless Access Point'

5) Adjust the Video Quality - in the Remote Play app, you can set the Video Quality to 60fps if needed. Test at 30fps first, as 60 will be double the bandwidth.

6) You may want to run through the PS Now network troubleshooting steps. Running their network test may also give you an indication if the problem is on the PS4 side.

https://support.us.playstation.com/...bleshoot-Wired-or-Wireless-Network-Connection

7) Test from within the same room as the PS4 first, then move to other rooms. Wi-fi is pretty bad with dealing with walls or other sources of interference (microwave ovens, etc.) If you can't get it to work well in the same room, then try to figure out why. There are lots of ways wi-fi can go wrong.

It's worked well the few times I've tried it. Kind of cool to see Bloodborne running on that little screen. I've only ever done it on the same WiFi connection though.

kunonabi

Vita TV has too much lag but vita itself is pretty great with it. I wish I could get one of those r2 l2 grips though.

Really? I was thinking of using a Vita TV to play my PS4 games since I don't want to move my PS3 out of my entertainment center.

It was an issue for me until I changed the framerate setting to high. It was originally very laggy and constantly stuttered and dropped connection on the standard (30fps) option. In an effect for correct it, I changed to high framerate and it became absolutely lag free and completely playable with no stuttering or connection issues.

It was kind of bizarre but it now works flawlessly. I can be a few rooms away and it works great.

SnowTeeth

Banned
Remote Play works almost flawlessly for me even on High settings. It looks great and is for the most part silky smooth. I have a small apartment though, perhaps that's the reason why. Regardless, the thread title couldn't be more wrong.

I think that "works well" and especially "flawlessly" is extremely exaggerated. That, or I've bought 3 defective pieces of vita hardware.

Regardless, my experience with Sony and remote play is not good at all. And the generally mixed perception of it leads me to believe it just doesn't really work that well, at least consistently. It's kind of a known quantity that the wifi chips Sony uses are garbage, so it isn't really surprising.

It works great for me, especially with direct connection or on my own home network...Works exactly as advertised, it's awesome....

Vroadstar

Work great for me, both with my old Vita and new Vitao. So I think the thread title is misleading when it works for the majority.

Chris R

I want to be able to use the Vita screen as my screen, but play on a Dualshock 4.

Doesn't seem to work yet, doubt it ever will :(

Vroadstar

How is it an exaggeration when it really "works well" and "flawlessly" for others? The majority here think so too. Just because your experience is not good and comparing that to others where their experience is great doesn't make it an exaggeration on their end.

On the other hand the extreme exaggeration is on your end I think when the majority disagrees with your experienced.

I have 2 Vita (old and new one) and it works extremely well for me, that, or I've bought 2 perfect Vita hardware.

Top Bottom