• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita Remote Play (PS4) Is Awful

Krakn3Dfx

I play my PS4 on my lunch hour at work using my Vita, and it works great, so I disagree.

Works fine when im at work which is where i mostly use remote play.
Finished probably my hardest mission on MGSV via remote play
Mission 16 with S Rank aswell.
Btw i had no vehicle fulton so it was tough as heck.

I'm playing MGSV on the PC, 68 hours in, and yet this post is making me super tempted to double for the remote play, lol.

Iorv3th

Remote play is garbage for me as well. Everything else in the house uses the internet flawlessly, and my download speeds are pretty good, but remote play mostly fails to connect and if it ever does it dies in minutes.

That said, my PS4 isn't hooked up by ethernet. I'm not able to try and see if that fixes it. All the same, nothing else has connection issues, only ever remote play.

Well thats your problem. Or at least one of them.

cakely

I think you're doing it wrong, seriously. I've had really great results, in the building and out.

Does your PS4 have a wireless network connection or an ethernet cable?

I don't agree with that in the slightest, I was just playing Destiny in bed last night on my Vita and remote play worked perfectly. I had it lag maybe once for four or five seconds in the hour I played. I'll also hop on from work pretty regularly and there is slightly noticeable increase in input lag but I've been able to do patrol stuff easily. Vita remote play is super cool and works better than I would ever expect it to.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's a shame more games don't put thought into remapping controls for remote play. Destiny and Ass Creed are two of the better examples of it.

Screen_Shot_2014-09-05_at_11.34.29_AM.0.png

The fuck?! This changes everything. Fuck! I didn't know about this! Fuck fuck!

Works flawlessly for me.

Not sure if you are getting some interference you haven't managed to pinpoint, but local Remote Play is flawless (within its limitations, of course) in my experience.

The lawsuit was over cross-save on MLB, by the way. Nothing to do with remote play or royally fucking it up.

That's not actually correct. The lawsuit involved cross save and remote play but with the PS3. Specifically, they advertised remote play with Killzone 3, which does not support it.

"Very few, if any, other PS3 games of similar size and complexity are remote play compatible," the ruling noted.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...d-early-vita-adopters-for-deceptive-marketing

ss_lemonade

You probably have to be wired for it to work well. It was the only way I could (via powerline, which was a bit flaky too in some instances) get a workable stream to my Vita.

I think this is partly because the PS4 doesn't support 5ghz, if you have a capable router. In comparison, the Xbox One seems to work very well for me via wireless to my netbook, both connected to my 5ghz network.

chrislowe

I had lots of problems with my previous router, not sure if something wasnt compatible, or some settings were different.

I also think the screen on my OLED Vita seems to have gotten worse, or if its the codec used by Sony to transmit the video... its so dim compared to whats being shown on my tv.

Lagwise seems ok, about the same as the Wii U.

But I only use remote play to be able to use the vita as a extra controller mainly.

It was fairly useless in my old apartment unless I angled the vita towards an open door. I was in the next room and the machine was wired.

Haven't tried it since, but sometimes it worked alright with some glitches. Much more impressed by the WiiU play purely on the wiiU tablet...but that doesn't have the sweet internet capability that the vita's remote play has (which I never tried).

BumRush

I was actually blown away by how well it works. Played through all of strider on it and have done a ton of simple grindy RPG things on it fluidly.

Klossen

Banned
So much this. Devs need an extra appreciation when they do things similar to how Bungie re-maps keys for the Vita.

Would've been ideal if we could configure the controls ourselves on an OS level. Meaning there'd be no need for devs to remap the keys on a case-to-case basis as we could do that ourselves. The touch screen is a really good place to map all the buttons that don't have direct gameplay implications.

It's not as good as the Wii U's remote play, but it worked well enough at home that I was able to replay the first area of Bloodborne successful. Although I gave up afterwards figuring I wasn't skilled enough to do the harder parts of the game with Vita controls.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Yes, the usual troubleshooting steps were taken -- my network is NOT congested, I have great download speeds, and I'm not even that far away, either.

just an FYI, but your download speeds have jack shit all to do with the upload speeds from your PS4.

your upload is probably crap, especially if your PS4 isn't wire-connected

Works just fine for me. Never did it off a mobile hotspot, only over WiFi in people's houses and my own. PS4 is hardwired to a switch which is also hardwired to my router (long house).

brainpann

Ive found it works really well for me. Even used it at my parents house 700 miles away to keep up on Destiny. It wasnt perfect but I was able to do the Nightfall and a few other strikes without issue.

At first when I had the connect directly to my PS4 option checked, the connection was very slow and choppy.

After, I turned off that option, I connect via internet now and the connection is lightning fast and I barely see slowdowns now even when using my phone to remote play. Try that option if that improves your connection.

Also, you may need to open the ports on the PS4 in your router settings.

Apath

Would anyone mind helping me get my remote play to work decently?:
- PSTV is in another room and connects via WiFi.
- PSTV has low power WiFi disabled.
- Direct Connection to the PS4 is disabled (though I've tried with it enabled as well)
- PS4 is hardwired to the router.
- WiFi signal is always dropping out, however the PS3 and 360 (when I still had it) had zero issues from the same location.

Does anyone know anything I can do? I would not be against buying more equipment if it would help.

squall211

The only time it hasn't worked well for me was playing Omega Quintet, but I think that had more to do with the game itself than remote play. RP has been pretty flawless for me.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
There are only a few things needed to remote play that feels just like playing the console itself:

Step 1: Hardwire the console. The ps4 wifi chip is so fucking terrible it hurts. Let this chip only work on connecting to the Vita, don't bog it down with data from your internet connection too.

Step 2: Have a router provided by your isp? Burn it and throw it in the garbage. Put those shit tier modem+router combo units (every one is trash) in transparent bridge mode. Use a quality router to pass the ISP login credentials and routing. Now you have the beginnings of a big boy network that is actually set up properly.

Step 3: Wifi signal strength is extremely important. Ensure you are getting top signal strength everywhere you want to play. The ps4 and Vita have garbage tier wifi chips. The range is bad so be sure to check with the Vita itself so you know what the garbage tier wifi strength is.

Enjoy your minimal lag and excellent picture quality!

Settings->Power Setting-> Uncheck Wifi Power Save Mode
This is very important.
The wifi power save setting on Vita has a terrible name that makes it counterintuitive.
I'm not saying this will solve every connectivity issue for everyone but anyone having trouble should check they've done this.

j-wood

I had glitchy lag when my ps4 was wireless.

Then I wired my PS4. Now with remote play i might as well be on the damn ps4 itself. My wireless connection wasn't terrible either. But the wireless chip in the PS4 is ass.

Wire it, and you'll see the magic.

schaft0620

I have to tell my story here

"Top of the line" Comcast router modem combo 25 mb/s just me living there.

PS4 is not hardwired in and is on the other side of my house as my router is.

Bad lag in Drawn To Death and Rocket League so I am not really 100% sure if the issue was me exactly.

Abnormal DL times from PSN (could have been PSN no way for me to know).

Unable to remote play from my Vita in the house at all.

I set up port forwarding, things seemed to get better then it dawns on me Vita to PS4 is all local traffic there should be no issues at all with remote play, something is up with my router.

Spend $280 on a new router and modem HOLY SHIT EVERYTHING IS AWESOME NOW.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJHDZSI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FB45SI4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

In my experience, the biggest problem was the Vita not having one to one button mapping with the DS4. No shoulders (or triggers, depending on how you look at it) and no thumbstick click means using the touch screens as a substitute, and that's a horrible experience. I find the back touch thing to be one of the dumbest ideas in the history of gaming devices, it's terrible.

Z..

It not working for you doesnt make it a "Completely unplayable, broken, mess." As evidence of the replies in this very thread

Read my post again. What part of "for me" are you not understanding? Oo

It works awesome in the home, btw, just unplayable when away, and lord knows I keep trying. Playing stuff in bed is nice, but what would really be awesome is playing at work during lunch break. I keep trying different connections but the result is always the same, sadly.

lyrick

Would anyone mind helping me get my remote play to work decently?:
- PSTV is in another room and connects via WiFi.
- PSTV has low power WiFi disabled.
- Direct Connection to the PS4 is disabled (though I've tried with it enabled as well)
- PS4 is hardwired to the router.
- WiFi signal is always dropping out, however the PS3 and 360 (when I still had it) had zero issues from the same location.

Does anyone know anything I can do? I would not be against buying more equipment if it would help.

I have the same setup through a Gigabit router, although I have an extra switch that I've had the PSTV hardwired to on occasion. It works on low reaction time games but on anything reaction time sensitive it's a fucking joke.

Essentially running around is Destiny works fine, Resogun doesn't.

I disagree but Remote Play is very YMMV. Mine works flawlessly and played through most of the Order and Infamous with it.

Koralsky

My only problem with VITA RP is the lack of some DS4 buttons.

Otherwise, I’m often playing 1+ hour sessions at home and away (300+ miles) - only in 60FPS mode. There must be some technical hurdle in you setup OP.

Z3M0G

Your issues are environmental, OP...

I play my PS4 90% through remote play on my Vita. I get disconnect sometimes from upstairs, but I know that's my home's fault.

I've played remotely from my buddy's place through his internet connection extensively (Destiny)... more stable than in my own home, honestly.

Top Bottom