• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita Remote Play (PS4) Is Awful

It works great you might just need to do some tweaking with your network set up to optimize the performance. I wouldn't bother if you cant get a hard wire connection to your PS4, I found that gave me the biggest improvement.

Works fine when im at work which is where i mostly use remote play.
Finished probably my hardest mission on MGSV via remote play
Mission 16 with S Rank aswell.
Btw i had no vehicle fulton so it was tough as heck.
GCODGNk.jpg

truth411

Works flawless for me, be sure to set the remote play for 60fps, assuming your internet is fast enough. I use it miles away, and it's awesome.

BigDug13

In the Vita network settings you have to select "power save" to "off" or you'll have a low power usage version of Wi-Fi strength. Vita defaults to use power save and so vita Wi-Fi default sucks.

Most people don't know about this setting and what it really does.

_woLf

OP, make sure you have your Vita set to not try to direct connect to the PS4 if the option is available. I had that same problem -- it worked great when I was 200 miles away, when I was in the other room it was awful. I turned that off to force it to use Wifi and it's worked flawlessly since then.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It works pretty damn awesome for me. Maybe it's your connection?

Back when my internet was spotty, I had a lot of lost connections, but once I got a better router, and my plan was upgraded to a faster service, it's been gravy. I expected it to be atrocious, but was pleasantly surprised at how good it worked.

truth411

It works great you might just need to do some tweaking with your network set up to optimize the performance. I wouldn't bother if you cant get a hard wire connection to your PS4, I found that gave me the biggest improvement.
Excellent point, remote play recommends that your PS4 is connected to the internet wired, not wireless.

King_Moc

Banned
Works very well when directly connected to the PS4, other than there not being enough buttons.

If you're connected via a router, you want the PS4 to be wired to it via Ethernet.

androvsky

In the Vita network settings you have to select "power save" to "off" or you'll have a low power usage version of Wi-Fi strength. Vita defaults to use power save and so vita Wi-Fi default sucks.

If this is in the wrong setting, Remote Play will act just like the OP described. Set it correctly and it's much better.

Hatty

it feels really half baked
Most PS4 games play pretty badly on the Vita. Either the screen is too small and the UI doesn't scale or the controls are bad

bomblord1

Banned

This is true. The exact setting is "Use Wifi in Power Save Mode"

What most people think this means "Setting will keep wifi on even if it's in power saving mode"

What it actually means "The system will keep wifi in low power state at the cost of connection stability and speed"

BibiMaghoo

I love it, and what i have used has worked very well.

But the missing triggers kill it, completely. If a game requires them to be used often, as many games do, it doesn't work. I'm still waiting for that grip that adds them.

I have to join in with the folks that have no problems. It's an awesome feature. I've used it hundreds of miles away on hotel Wi-Fi with zero issues. Sorry to hear it's not working well for you.

nakedeyes

Banned
I love it and I think it works great for me! Here are some things I have noticed in my experience though:
  • I have never been able to connect outside my local network.. not sure what is going on there.
  • I find I get a better latency/performance if I link it directly to the PS4's wifi, and bypass my local network ( didn't mention that you tried that OP, so give that a shot if you haven't ).
  • It still works really well for me on my local network though
  • I feel like I am not really getting the 60fps performance that is supposedly enabled with the last update with either connection method. I was playing MGSV on it the other day and it felt like ~40 fps or something.
  • My WiiU had gone unused for about a year and I just fired it up and it was losing connection while right next to the fucking console.

Worked perfectly for me a couple weeks ago. Spent the whole weekend remote-playing MGSV about 15 miles from my PS4 -- close to no noticeable lag.

I've played remote play on Vita before and it's really good.

I also have the hacked Android version of remote play on Nvidia Shield Tablet, and it works quite well too, although I had to do some tweaks to Android system files so that pressing the Nvidia button on the controller would count as a touch pad press.

Shield's own PC game streaming feature also works very well at 720p 60 fps. It is making me a true believer of streaming video games.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The missing triggers make most of the games I would enjoy with remote play unplayable, sadly.

Septimus

I played and completed Infamous Second Son First Light using remote play in Japan while my PS4 was in Canada and it worked great.

TalonJH

Most PS4 games play pretty badly on the Vita. Either the screen is too small and the UI doesn't scale or the controls are bad

Thats up to the developer and most don't take the time. because they aren't really thinking about the Vita.

FFXIV actually lets you arrange/size the UI for remote play and switches between the RP and normal UI on the fly.

• I feel like I am not really getting the 60fps performance that is supposedly enabled with the last update with either connection method. I was playing MGSV on it the other day and it felt like ~40 fps or something.

Did you enable it?

IMACOMPUTA

Despite what you mention, it sounds like a network problem on your end. Works great for me. Really impressive stuff.

Back and forth for me with every new PS4 update. It'll work great, it'll be glitchy as hell, back to working great... It's been working alright lately (though there's a level of lag that is obviously inherent to it and makes it useless for anything twitchy) so I'm hoping 3.00 doesn't make it awful again.

Blanquito

Thread backfire? Thread backfire.

Hopefully you can figure out what's messing up your connection and get it working better, though.

psylah

Playing my PS4 from work was one of those magical tech experiences.

It works great. It's just a shame about the lack of triggers.

Zareka

Remote play is garbage for me as well. Everything else in the house uses the internet flawlessly, and my download speeds are pretty good, but remote play mostly fails to connect and if it ever does it dies in minutes.

That said, my PS4 isn't hooked up by ethernet. I'm not able to try and see if that fixes it. All the same, nothing else has connection issues, only ever remote play.

CHC

It's always been shitty for me and I'm only a few feet away. But then again I never have good luck with those kinds of things, any kind of network technology seems to turn to shit in my hands.

aett

These are the biggest problems and what keep me from using Remote Play most of the time. I can usually get a pretty decent connection and it looks great since they enabled 60 FPS, but the front/back touchscreen buttons work intermittently at best for me. Sometimes my finger barely touches the edge of the screen and it registers as a button press, but other times I deliberately tap the "correct" area with no results.

I got the most use out of Remote Play when I was playing FFXIV, but even then I only used it for crafting and gathering.

AmyS

I've always had my PS4 connected via ethernet and I always use Remote Play directly at home. Never had a problem with it.

chadskin

Technically, I didn't have any problems. However, the lack of R2 and L2 on the Vita makes Remote Play really cumbersome to use in most games.

AwShucks

To make such a general statement as your topic title...wow. It might be awful for YOU, but clearly it isn't awful for everyone. I've been using it a lot lately and with the exception of minor quality loss, I've have a fantastic time using it.

I've shitty internet (Thanks Telnor/Telmex) and yet i've been able to play flawlessly GTAV from my bed (in another room).

Your Internet provider has no bearing on remote play when using your local network. In fact, the only reason you need an Internet connection when using remote play locally is to authenticate with PSN.

Edit: If you enable direct connect, you could use remote play on a local network without an Internet connection.

Although it got better over time, Remote Play is still too laggy for me to enjoy, even when I'm in the same room as the PS4. Also the fact that the Vita's analog sticks are too small and don't click, plus the lack of L2/R2 triggers makes playing some games a complete chore and would rather just play on the TV anyway. Perhaps I should get that DS4 stand.

Trace

Banned
Works perfectly fine for me. Even used it across town. While I wouldn't use it for anything requiring really twitch reactions, it's perfectly passable for most content.

Dogtooth

Banned
I find it works great using a direct connection. Even though my home LAN is snappy, I have problems with remote play over the LAN.

Top Bottom