• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VITA: Retail Musings Edition

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
None of those games are system sellers, at least in their console iterations. Why would it be any different for a handheld? IMO, the first shot the Vita has at a true system seller is CoD. If Sony puts a bundle together with CoD, a Vita, and a 4 gig stick for $199? They have a shot at turning this ship around.

The thing that does annoy me here is people are ASSUMING that the Vita is going to be a smashing success out of the gate. The Japanese shelled this thing. The chances of the Vita being in a 360-like situation where it sells zippo in Japan but gangbusters elsewhere? Not too likely. So, for a chance at these western audiences, you need to re-launch with a CoD in the fall.

For the record, *I* would buy a Vita in such a CoD bundle. Even though I am less than optimistic about the console's future, it's worth it just to get killstreaks on the can.

maybe for once the games arent what will sell a system, but the system itself. No one buys an iPhone for a game or an app from the app store. They buy it because they like what it provides as a basic feature set.

YOUR MIND IS NOW BLOWN

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Did Vita kill your cat ? Do you realize that there are only two games that are garbage, coming from company known of garbage ? Rest is good to godly.

While the launch line up definitely is good, I disagree. Is Sony known for garbage? Because Reality Fighters has to be one of the worst games I've ever played.

Cheech

maybe for once the games arent what will sell a system, but the system itself. No one buys an iPhone for a game or an app from the app store. They buy it because they like what it provides as a basic feature set.

YOUR MIND IS NOW BLOWN

What do you consider to be the "basic feature set" of the Vita? It's a handheld for gamers. If the games blow, there really isn't much else that compels, is there?

YOUR MIND IS NOW BLOWN

So far, in Japan that hasn't been the case.

Perhaps the hardware is what people want in other regions though. We'll see.

I don't really know what to say. When the system was announced, I thought the price sounded great. Honestly, the price of the memory and the fact that I have to double dip if I don't want to bring my PSP along also to play my UMD games really put me off to the price. I want one for sure, half the games I'm hyped for this year are on this system. It's not the system, it's not the games, it's the money.

My 360 bricked last week, food & gas are expensive, early adopters have a tendency to get burned, etc. Hell, I can't even afford a smartphone or a decent phone plan right now. $300 for an amazing handheld with a giant questionmark for a future is too much commitment for something non-essential right now.

I know, cool story bro, but there's no way my story is that unique. I know it's a Catch 22 situation for Sony, but I think Nintendo has proven that adjusting the price point can save a system. Sony has to determine right now whether the Vita failing will do more damage to their brand than the losses they'll sustain dropping it under $200.

I feel horrible that I'm hurting a system I want to succeed, but there's simply no way they are getting my money before I see the price I want on Black Friday or Craigslist. It's their choice if they want to give me that price before then.

Hellraizah

None of those games are system sellers, at least in their console iterations. Why would it be any different for a handheld? IMO, the first shot the Vita has at a true system seller is CoD. If Sony puts a bundle together with CoD, a Vita, and a 4 gig stick for $199? They have a shot at turning this ship around.

The thing that does annoy me here is people are ASSUMING that the Vita is going to be a smashing success out of the gate. The Japanese shelled this thing. The chances of the Vita being in a 360-like situation where it sells zippo in Japan but gangbusters elsewhere? Not too likely. So, for a chance at these western audiences, you need to re-launch with a CoD in the fall.

For the record, *I* would buy a Vita in such a CoD bundle. Even though I am less than optimistic about the console's future, it's worth it just to get killstreaks on the can.

Funny thing is that people in this thread seems to see you as the devil. I see you as the most down to earth.

Sony has a big battle ahead of them. I think that the launch lineup is very good FOR ME. Lumines, Virtua Tennis, Marvel VS Capcom and Rayman are very attractive for core gamers. In these times, though, they don't mean much to the general public.

Evidence of the system not selling too well compared to other consoles launches is evident, I don't understand why people even dispute that. It's like the beginning of the 3DS when people here were saying all was well in sales and then Nintendo cuts the price big time. You all know how Nintendo operates and you all knoe that this move was desperate. Sony might be able to turn things around but I highly doubt it.

I would really like to have that console myself, though, for he previously mentionned games. But my feelings =\= real world success, otherwise the Neo Geo would still be the dominant console today ;)

TGMIII

:lol

Who spends $250 to experience something that they already have on their phone, tablet, and other video game consoles/handhelds?

For me, this is pretty much the story of the vita. I want it to succeed and I'll be picking one up soon enough but at launch the only game I care about is gravity daze. I hope they've got some more big things lined up in the next 2/3 months.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I can't believe you guys are falling for Cheech's schick. This is the same guy that said (paraphrasing) the PSPGOs failure is proof that smartphones have taken over.

Seriously, I'm not joking.

davepoobond

Who spends $250 to experience something that they already have on their phone, tablet, and other video game consoles/handhelds?

hey man, he asked me what i thought the basic feature set of the vita was, and i said it.

it is netflix.

not everyone has a portable device that can actually use netflix. my android phone is crap.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is the first time I've ever felt like I was playing a console game on a handheld. If Sony decided to focus on handhelds only from this point forward I'd be happy.

The whole "my smartphone does this" argument doesn't fly here. Smartphone games don't even come close to the full-featured and full-length games that are on here. Uncharted and MVC3 are fantastic and feel like console games.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
The launch lineup is pretty damn weak, then again most launch lineups are weak. I know some people champion the launch, personally I think it's weak and filled with reboots and rehashes.

The 3DS had quite a few promising games on deck, the Vita has very few. The potential of the Vita greatly exceeds the 3DS, but install base is going to win developers money in the end.

The question becomes are developers willing to develop killer games with the intent that killer games will push up the install base or are they going to wait for the install base to grow in spite of the fact that their isn't enough games being developed?

I really really want the Vita to succeed, but it has bomba written all over it. I hope I'm wrong, I really really do. The hardware is sweet, the potential is great, but I'm scared the market for it doesn't exist in large enough numbers to ever meet that potential.

There is nothing in the Vita launch slate that has enough mass-level appeal to sell units. That's my point.

But you did say that it has no games.

If you're using metacritic as the basis of your words don't make me post the screen caps of 3DS's launch metacritic and Vita's launch metacritic because there's a huge difference.

Perkel

Banned
.....People like you are why reviews work on the 7-10 scale. Fucking hell

What this have to anything with 7-10 scale ?

Aliance is not only bland and not appeling but also has terrible framerate YS Seven from PSP just destroy it even zenonia was much better , assfalt is good iphone game but for a handheld with that price tag is just lol worthy. It should be max 5$ game.

As of 7-10 scale. People like to buy good games and 6/10 isn't considered good game. So 7-10 works only because of players not reviewers. Game with bugs can be fun and should be played if price is right.

whitehawk

Banned

I'm not buying the Vita solely because of Netflix, but the only other portable device I have that has Netflix is the 3DS, and Netflix on the 3DS sucks ass.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The launch lineup is pretty damn weak, then again most launch lineups are weak. I know some people champion the launch, personally I think it's weak and filled with reboots and rehashes.

I'll never understand this. Sony doesn't have many system-selling exclusive titles. Uncharted is one of them, and they put it out at launch. Gran Turismo is the only other one I can think of and they take over 5 years to make. LBP isn't a system-seller and that's coming out later.

I don't know what else Sony can do here. They've got good 3rd-party support. E3 is coming. They put out a TON of titles, several of them well-reviewed, at launch. It's the best launch in AGES.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
hey man, he asked me what i thought the basic feature set of the vita was, and i said it.

it is netflix.

not everyone has a portable device that can actually use netflix. my android phone is crap.

And you suggested that people might be buying the Vita for it's basic feature set. I imagine the number of people buying Vita for netflix is very small.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I think initial sales will be okayish and then it's going to tail of pretty rapidly. I can't see it selling in big numbers a month from now.

I know gaffers love it and I've played one and thought it was a fantastic bit of kit but I still think it's too expensive and the games are about twice the price they should be in the UK.
Some of the games are more expensive then full blown PS3 games.

/I wonder how many folks who are raving about it will have Vita's sitting on their shelves gathering dust or sold off in 6 months time...

NervousXtian

I'll never understand this. Sony doesn't have many system-selling exclusive titles. Uncharted is one of them, and they put it out at launch. Gran Turismo is the only other one I can think of and they take over 5 years to make. LBP isn't a system-seller and that's coming out later.

I don't know what else Sony can do here. They've got good 3rd-party support. E3 is coming. They put out a TON of titles, several of them well-reviewed, at launch. It's the best launch in AGES.

I disagree, because it's the single reason I haven't bought one yet. Uncharted was really all that I wanted. I'm not into 2D fighters, and outside of UC there just wasn't anything I really "wanted". Lumines, okay. Hot Shots? I'd play it in lieu of anything else... but.. yeah.. shit launch lineup.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I disagree, because it's the single reason I haven't bought one yet. Uncharted was really all that I wanted. I'm not into 2D fighters, and outside of UC there just wasn't anything I really "wanted". Lumines, okay. Hot Shots? I'd play it in lieu of anything else... but.. yeah.. shit launch lineup.

I'm curious to hear what you thought in the 3DS launch were "quite a few promising games" and which ones weren't "reboots and rehashes."

Here's the lineup to refresh your memory: http://www.destructoid.com/here-are-the-u-s-launch-games-for-the-3ds-194773.phtml

Chorazin

Completely disagree, this is the best launch lineup for a system since the Dreamcast, IMO.

So because they don't interest you, they're shit. K. Got it.

Perkel

Banned
Yeah point about people who buys vita for features are ridiculous. Most low end phones do things better than vita in therms of features like facebook twitter internet etc.

What vita exels is Video and games. Video thanks to dat OLED. But Sony don't have any good movie store like apple.

So in the end is gaming. And so far things looks uber for vita. 3rD party support on lunch is stellar and they did deliver 1st party titles like uncharted and wipeot.

What Vita needs is more new IP's like Gravity Daze. Cost of making new IP's for Vita should be way lower than big consoles.

PSP failed at beggining because it was literaly PORTable. I weren't even thinking about PSP on lunch because i had PS2 and PC. There were only like one or two titles in 2 first years that i wanted but still it wasn't big enought push for me.

Things changed because of games like Tactics Ogre, 3rd Birthday, Jeanne d'arc, patapon, MGSPW. After release of MGS and GTPSP i bought PSP. And so far for me there are just to many good games. I had more fun with PSP than with my PS3 from it's premiere. One after another there are games worth so much more than 9/10 of big consoles titles.

edit:

Currently wainting for FF type0 anf paycheck to buy corpse party and persona 3 psp.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The creature behind the desk at my local Gamestop said I was one of only three people to preorder a Vita. Guess I won't be finding anyone on Near.

Arklite

The store I work in only got about 8 models split evenly between Wifi and 3G and were gone by the time I worked Friday. Haven't checked other stores yet. On a side note, I got to play Virtua Tennis on our demo model. Mind blown, this thing is a PS3.

davepoobond

And you suggested that people might be buying the Vita for it's basic feature set. I imagine the number of people buying Vita for netflix is very small.

well, do people buy an iphone just because it can make calls? no, thats considered its basic feature, which is the catalyst to buying one, but its not the only thing people will use it for, correct?

i simply see Vita's inherent base use as Netflix.

Rat Salad

Banned
I was at a walmart about two days ago. Not sure how many Vitas they got in but I saw 4 sitting in a window. Noone seemed to care. This thing looks dull in my area.

Sean

Banned

YOUR MIND IS NOW BLOWN

iPhone is a cell phone and having such a device is essential for most people.

Vita will never be able to compete against smartphones on basic feature set, it'll never be able to compete against the massive number of apps these smartphones have either. And within a year or two (tops) the hardware will be eclipsed by your average smartphone too.

The only differentiator Vita has right now is more full-fledged "console style" games and physical buttons. I really can't see anyone purchasing a Vita for Netflix when that's available on just about every device with a screen.

Rat Salad

Banned
I can't believe this amount of trolling is allowed without consequences.

LOL. Oh come on. Theres fucking Vita threads all over the front page. They've been mostly all civil too. Now all of a sudden you want people banned for having an opinion that doesn't go with yours? Its not all rose colored glasses because you owners bought a Vita,thats never gonna happen with any launch. The Vita launch is far from perfect. And people have opinions.

UberTag

To summarize this thread, "actual hardcore gamers" love the Vita, love the launch and know it has a ton of games. It delivers on the "console gaming anywhere" motif like no system past or present.

The other 99% of the gaming community (many of whom write for gaming publications, work at Gamestop and a number of which also post here - although usually in Off-Topic) believe it's an overpriced PSP Go, doesn't have Call of Duty, Monster Hunter, Pokemon or anything else they're interested in and that it will crash and burn to the almighty Apple & Nintendo empires until it gets marked down to $99 and games sell for $2.99 a pop (at which point their excuse for not buying it will be that it's a dead system with no publisher support).

Forsete

I was wondering if the title "Simply the most desirable handheld yet released" would piss people off. Got my answer in this thread. :D

Carry on.

Cheech

I can't believe you guys are falling for Cheech's schick. This is the same guy that said (paraphrasing) the PSPGOs failure is proof that smartphones have taken over.

Seriously, I'm not joking.

I have no "shtick". I calls it as I sees it.

Sorry to not participate in this thread for last 5 hours, but I've been playing Dark Souls on my PS3. God, do I hate Sony! Hah.

well, do people buy an iphone just because it can make calls? no, thats considered its basic feature, which is the catalyst to buying one, but its not the only thing people will use it for, correct?

i simply see Vita's inherent base use as Netflix.
Except that's the very thing--at the exact same pricepoint as the Wi-Fi model, you can buy an iPod Touch, which, not only does it have a Netflix app as well, but also has a much better music player than the Vita, a better camera, a better browser, access to the App Store, etc. And it's much easier/more intuitive to transfer stuff like music files between a PC and a Touch then it is for a novice user to figure out how you're supposed to do the same thing with a Vita. Combine that with the brand power of Apple's name compared to Sony's and unless you have actual interest in playing the games it offers or are deliberately being railroaded by someone, there is absolutely zero reason to pick up a Vita over an iPod Touch as a multipurpose device, as, as far as stuff like Netflix, music, and pictures goes, the Touch does it better for the same price. No way does Vita have any sort of substantial chance of building itself as that kind of device, at least not as long as it sits at the same price as the Touch, which is already an extremely well known device and absolutely murders it in that area.

Kusagari

The Vita has a decent launch lineup, but it's incredibly overrated on GAF.

An overpriced Uncharted game, Hot Shots and Wipeout again, Lumines and a bunch of console ports.

Only one I'd think of spending retail price on, lol $50 Uncharted, would be Lumines.

kinggroin

Banned
To summarize this thread, "actual hardcore gamers" love the Vita, love the launch and know it has a ton of games. It delivers on the "console gaming anywhere" motif like no system past or present.

The other 99% of the gaming community (many of whom write for gaming publications, work at Gamestop and a number of which also post here - although usually in Off-Topic) believe it's an overpriced PSP Go, doesn't have Call of Duty, Monster Hunter, Pokemon or anything else they're interested in and that it will crash and burn to the almighty Apple & Nintendo empires until it gets marked down to $99 and games sell for $2.99 a pop (at which point their excuse for not buying it will be that it's a dead system with no publisher support).

Essentially. I find myself in both camps. Currently digging the system and its games, but feel its almost certain this thing will have as long a lifespan as the dreamcast.

I just hope it provides as a great a ride when all's said and done.

NervousXtian

You are kind of missing the point. I don't care if I can play CoD, MH, Pokemon, etc myself on the Vita.. but it'd be for the greater good if it had a title that was a must have that sold systems creating a larger install base. The bigger the install base, the healthier the system, the more games we'll see in the future.

If a MH came to Vita in Japan and they turned around sells overnight it'd be a great win for everyone. Not because we get MH, but because of the units sold we will actually get more games developed for it.

Opiate

I have no "shtick". I calls it as I sees it.

Are you a whale biologist?

Sorry to not participate in this thread for last 5 hours, but I've been playing Dark Souls on my PS3. God, do I hate Sony! Hah.

I want to point out that the specific retail musings you've provided are most definitely welcome and acceptable, even if those musings paint the system in a negative light. It's the editorializing afterwards that's less acceptable.

Or, put more simply: pictures of unsold vitas are very acceptable. Calling the system a "turd" that "has no games anyone cares about" is not -- at least, not in this thread. Facts good, antagonistic banter bad. This isn't a problem that is exclusive to you, of course.

Cheech

It was such a sell out Sporran was able to walk in 5 days after launch and buy one. If only he would to take photos and post them on the internet to really drive the nail in the coffin.

Yes. God forbid somebody have actual proof that the Vita is not selling.

Top Bottom