• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VITA: Retail Musings Edition

KaYotiX

Banned
This is the first time I've ever felt like I was playing a console game on a handheld. If Sony decided to focus on handhelds only from this point forward I'd be happy.

The whole "my smartphone does this" argument doesn't fly here. Smartphone games don't even come close to the full-featured and full-length games that are on here. Uncharted and MVC3 are fantastic and feel like console games.

Agree, i was thinking the same thing lastnight playing BlazBlu and U. MvC3 while at my inlaws :)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
To summarize this thread, "actual hardcore gamers" love the Vita, love the launch and know it has a ton of games. It delivers on the "console gaming anywhere" motif like no system past or present.

The other 99% of the gaming community (many of whom write for gaming publications, work at Gamestop and a number of which also post here - although usually in Off-Topic) believe it's an overpriced PSP Go, doesn't have Call of Duty, Monster Hunter, Pokemon or anything else they're interested in and that it will crash and burn to the almighty Apple & Nintendo empires until it gets marked down to $99 and games sell for $2.99 a pop (at which point their excuse for not buying it will be that it's a dead system with no publisher support).

Contrary to popular belief, most of us don't have a vendetta towards the Vita. In fact, I would already have one right now if it were not for the possibility of getting one for free in April (my GF has hinted at it for a B-day present).

The perceived problem with the Vita is that it has a bunch of niche titles that most people outside of us gaming enthusiasts could give one shit for. Then you have a bunch of titles like Uncharted, Origins, Marvel, Fifa, etc. which can be A. experienced on the consoles and/or B. offer extremely similar experiences to what is offered on the consoles. Finally, the titles that have any shot of bringing any casual gamers to the table like Little Deviants or Reality Fighter are god-awful.

I think PS Vita is in a very similar situation to what the 3DS was when it launched. The problem for the Vita though is that it's little brother was not the mega success that the DS was, it does not have much appeal towards kids, and it doesn't have any major gimmick to draw attention. But as we saw with the 3DS, games can and will change everything. Just like OOT 3D, Mario 3D, and Mario Kart 7 combined with a price drop brought the 3DS back to life, a $199 Vita (including a Memory card) along with a quality Call of Duty, Final Fantasy X, and Assassins Creed would most likely do the same.

But until then, I believe most of us agree that the Vita will struggle out the gate.

I went into a little mom n' pop shop in LA called World 8. They had two Vitas in a display case (presumably the only two they had judging by how the case was arranged) and no one bothered to ask about them/look at them while I was there. I've also not seen anyone playing one. I'm sure they're around somewhere though. I'd like to check my local Best Buy/Target stores soon and see what's going down.

Thoraxes

Guy posts pictures that are 100% relevant to the thread, and then he gets a snarky comment thrown at him? That's just mean. Dude was just participating/contributing in this thread more than a lot of people are.

Also, I was at Target this morning, and there were still 10 3G units, and about 20 wi-fi units at the store on shelf.

Yes. God forbid somebody have actual proof that the Vita is not selling.

FYI, pictures of a console sitting on a shelf are not proof that a console isn't selling (durr, except for that very instant in time that you are present at the store...)

During some of the Wii's most torrid sales months circa 2008 when supply finally caught up with demand, I would have been able to find stacks of Wii's sitting on store shelves.

It's proof that there's ample supply, but it gives no basis to judge demand.

Guy posts pictures that are 100% relevant to the thread, and then he gets a snarky comment thrown at him? That's just mean. Dude was just participating/contributing in this thread more than a lot of people are.

Also, I was at Target this morning, and there were still 10 3G units, and about 20 wi-fi units at the store on shelf.

Most of the 'snarky' posts are regarding him calling the console a 'turd' that had no games. Not that he posted pictures.

Thoraxes

Most of the 'snarky' posts are regarding him calling the console a 'turd' that had no games. Not that he posted pictures.
I'm talking about the first post in response to the pictures that was rude that started this all. It's clear that the comparison made was not good either in that one, because one system had been out for <1 week, and the other >1 week.

It's the inflammatory words that followed the pic that got the reaction.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I want a Vita; I think it's very impressive hardware and the "core" gamer in me is glad Sony took the risk and delivered a console-like experience to the handheld space. The hardware is solid, and the OS is much better than I expected. I purchased a PSP on launch day so many years ago, and (kinda) recently bought a 3DS on launch day, as well. However, I just don't have the money to drop $400 on a new console right now. I'm compelled to buy the top sku each launch, plus a memory card and a game. That's $360 if you find UC for $40, don't spend tax, and purchase nothing else. That's tough for me right now; especially on hardware most people are convinced will see a pricecut soon.

Again, I want the Vita to succeed; but with all that said, retail stores don't seem to be selling through. Toys R Us hadn't sold one system by 5pm or so when I went to pick up MGS3D on the 22nd. Best Buy had seven FEBs pre-ordered, got nine in, and only one person picked theirs up. This was on Friday (?). All my Walmarts around here have plenty of stock - most have 8+ systems. Gamestops around here said they sold through their FEBs quickly, but since launch on the 22nd, they've sold less each day.

Sure, we don't know how many Sony shipped; but I doubt *that* many. And like has been mentioned before, during a successful launch, usually consoles sell out when the stores open, and it's hard to find for a month or so. That's not the case here.

All of this is most certainly anecdotal. I live near Kansas City, so while not LA/NY/Chicago, it's certainly a decent area when it comes to selling new tech.

Pics for the curious:

Taken at Toys R Us on launch day, around 5pm. The lady said she couldn't speak for the morning shift, but she hadn't sold one since noon. My cousin who works there told me a couple days later he thinks they sold one on launch day, and have sold a couple since.

6932634139_88d442c8c0_z.jpg

Taken on Friday the 24th. The rep said they have six more that will go on display after the "preorder period/hold" had elapsed:

6927623635_abf1cf814e_z.jpg

EDIT: FWIW, I have yet to be at a store since the 22nd - Walmarts, BestBuys, Gamestops, TRU, Targets, etc - and seen an empty display case. Quantity is different, but you can get your hands on one anywhere you go around here.

P90

My local Target had three in stock. They had the units in a small locked display case that probably could hold ten total. Not sure how they have sold up to that point. They weren't sold out.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Went into my local ASDA on sat morning and they still had Vita's on the shelf.

Perkel

Banned
The Vita has a decent launch lineup, but it's incredibly overrated on GAF.

An overpriced Uncharted game, Hot Shots and Wipeout again, Lumines and a bunch of console ports.

Only one I'd think of spending retail price on, lol $50 Uncharted, would be Lumines.

"Wipeot again" love that quote. If you don't like it just say so. Many people here LOVE wipeot franchize and they say w2048 is awasome. Are they overreacting ?

I don't see reason why people should't be excited from their games if those are good games.

Oppo

I'm about as big a Wipeout fan as there is, and I do think 2048 is overpriced. By about $5.

Then again, WHD+Fury was underpriced by $20, so it's ok.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm about as big a Wipeout fan as there is, and I do think 2048 is overpriced. By about $5.

Then again, WHD+Fury was underpriced by $20, so it's ok.
Which is why the only retail games I bought were part of B2G1 sales. Buying $40 games for $27 on day 1 feels so good.

So are we still musing?

Went to my K-Mart today and they didn't have any Vita merchandise. No games, no consoles, no displays. Nothing.

Fucking bullshit.
No fucking way KMart is still in business.
Just no way.

What vita exels is Video and games. Video thanks to dat OLED. But Sony don't have any good movie store like apple.

In the US, UK, and other EU countries, Sony has a very capable video store, not as much content as apple's video store yet, but it has closed the gap. The pricing is similar with the main exception being that apple has .99 cent tv rentals and buying/preordering whole tv seasons for a cheaper price instead of buying individually.

Dragon

Banned

That's how you summarize what went on? No one is that oblivious.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
During some of the Wii's most torrid sales months circa 2008 when supply finally caught up with demand, I would have been able to find stacks of Wii's sitting on store shelves.

People had made a cottage industry of lining up at retailers during delivery days and reselling Wii's for huge profit.. not sure you want to bring up the Wii in this discussion. You could argue the exact opposite is true of the Vita.

I'm expecting GC deals within a month. We already saw the bundles with memory cards, which to be honest should have been bundled to begin with.

Phenomic

Been into a few stores since the launch and haven't really noticed any hype, and by this I mean there wasn't anyone else but myself in the area at the time. No one playing the demo units, or near the sections at all what so ever.

Target had a really small section devoted to a Vita with a demo unit. They had like maybe six to eight games on display and noticed another two random titles with some Ps3/PSP games and looked really out of place. They had like 4 and 8 gig cards, I think a case for sale and that was it.

Walmart had no Vita's the day they came out on display, so I'm not sure if people bought them or not because the space was empty where the Tag was. I'm guessing they never got put on the shelf because of how bad the Walmarts in my area seem to be. (To be fair though they did have a small case of games, so maybe people actually bought the units). I do find it strange though that Walmart would sell out when no one else seems to be. Regardless, anytime I went in there looking for new releases they never got placed on the shelves, and haven't bought a game there in years for that reason. They also had a playable one on aisle away from the other demo units (the others are in a cluster). Accessories wise they were pretty lax here too.

Gamestop had a decent setup in my mall with a playable unit and space for games. This was before it launched though so I have no idea if it changed or what accessories they had.

Oh, I still haven't bought one either and probably won't budge until Gravity Daze, Ys 4, Type 0 or Tales (if it washes up on the shores) gets announced with a solid release window.

mozfan12

Banned
Got mine on Friday, was forced to get the 3g since wifi units were sold out at the gamestop I went to. Went to another local Game store later on and they still had plenty units available.

I like the system and launch lineup, Fifa, Uncharted, Rayman, and Lumines are fantastic but I really think Sony should have pushed Activision to have a CoD at launch.

They were out of Vitas at my local Best Buy yesterday, and a lot of Vita games were sold out (Though they still had a lot of copies of Uncharted). Not that that means anything. *shrug*

Piggus

I went into a little mom n' pop shop in LA called World 8. They had two Vitas in a display case (presumably the only two they had judging by how the case was arranged) and no one bothered to ask about them/look at them while I was there. I've also not seen anyone playing one. I'm sure they're around somewhere though. I'd like to check my local Best Buy/Target stores soon and see what's going down.

In the past year I've seen maybe TWO people playing their 3DS. Seeing it out and about isn't a great indication of how it's performing.

Thoraxes

That's how you summarize what went on? No one is that oblivious.
I'm talking about the original instigation (as in the point in time that something first occurred, the beginning, the first thing) and not the shit show that followed. I'm not blind and saw what happened after, nor do I approve of it, but if some people could be nicer, these things wouldn't start in the first place.

Where I work we sold only 3 Vitas since the 22nd. IIRC, as a comparison, we sold around a dozen of 3DS on its launch day.

The advertising is almost non-existant here. Dunno what Sony Canada is thinking.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The creature behind the desk at my local Gamestop said I was one of only three people to preorder a Vita. Guess I won't be finding anyone on Near.
Near is actually showing me an improbable number of Vita players in the vicinity. I'm starting to think it was engineered by Sony's NPD PR team. The players around me are probably shipped, not sold.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I don't go into retail unless I have to, but I got a record of 28 people on Near today. Not a neighborhood I would to be Vita's demographic. I'm not sure how the app works though.

In the past year I've seen maybe TWO people playing their 3DS. Seeing it out and about isn't a great indication of how it's performing.

For the past 18 months, I take a very busy metro everyday to and from work. I have seen maybe 10 DS/3DS in this time (at the very most, hard to distinguish sometimes from a distance which one is which), 2 or 3 PSPs (none since Vita came out, so I know I have never seen anyone with a Vita), one Xperia Play. I lost count how many people I saw with kindles/readers/nooks, ipads, iphones, and android phones and tablets. I see more than 10 people using those devices everyday though, I can tell you that.

NateDrake

Went to 5 GameStops this weekend & all had FEB left & plenty of Wifi units. Though they had very little software remaining. So either a restock of Wifi units or the Buy 2/1 sale really sparked major interest in the software lineup.

Its not that expensive but the you dont get much for that 250.

If 250 got you a 8 or 16 gig memory card + a game then it would probably sell a lot more.

Right not you need a Vita plus a memory card plus a game. The real starting price is closer to 320 - 350.

They need pack in a Memory card. pack in a 4 gig one at least. that's enough to play some games, download some small games from PSN but its small enough that they will probably need a upgrade eventually.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Went to 5 GameStops this weekend & all had FEB left & plenty of Wifi units. Though they had very little software remaining. So either a restock of Wifi units or the Buy 2/1 sale really sparked major interest in the software lineup.

Yeah, I've been trying to take advantage of Walmart and Target's B2G1 sales, and while there are systems laying around, the software is --at least the one I'm looking-- is taking off. Still no VT4, Rayman and Shinobido2 for me in those stores (They also disappeared from Walmart's website almost instantly).

It's very controlled shipments, methinks.

Karish

This is the first time I've ever felt like I was playing a console game on a handheld. If Sony decided to focus on handhelds only from this point forward I'd be happy.

The whole "my smartphone does this" argument doesn't fly here. Smartphone games don't even come close to the full-featured and full-length games that are on here. Uncharted and MVC3 are fantastic and feel like console games.

Agreed. Go Lions!

Bullza2o

Its not that expensive but the you dont get much for that 250.

If 250 got you a 8 or 16 gig memory card + a game then it would probably sell a lot more.

Right not you need a Vita plus a memory card plus a game. The real starting price is closer to 320 - 350.

They need pack in a Memory card. pack in a 4 gig one at least. that's enough to play some games, download some small games from PSN but its small enough that they will probably need a upgrade eventually.
Thankfully Amazon gave me $20 credit for a 4gb memory card, and I got HSG for $30. So $280 with memory card and a game total.
I was just at Walmart earlier, and the shelf was filled with Vita hardware, but the software only had one or two of each game surprisingly. I'm not sure if they're hiding the rest or they've been selling out. I don't even recall seeing Uncharted, and only saw one HSG game.

gaming_noob

Richmond Hill (ON,Canada), EB games was practically empty with Vita's available. Still not feeling any hype about this thing.

I have reason to believe that Vita is selling better than the 3DS in it's first weeks. What really matters is every other month post-launch, though.
What's this reason?
I'm sincerly curious to know more about it,if you can talk about it :D
I've seen preliminary numbers from one major American retailer. I obviously don't have the whole picture.

I have reason to believe that Vita is selling better than the 3DS in it's first weeks. What really matters is every other month post-launch, though.

Yup, what truly matters is 2nd month and beyond. First month, in the grand scheme of things, don't really mean much. Just look at first week Vita sales in Japan and look what happened during 2nd week and beyond.

Alex

None of the big psp fans I know got one, they seem to be holding out for software, I know thats how I feel especially with the current price. I liked the psp a ton because it had a lot of software that clickedwith me and that wasn't current console styled, it felt more like a ps3 than the real one did for me. Lots of niche titles and Japanese games and the like. If I just wanted big budget shooters and fighting games and the ilk I'd rather just have them on a console or PC.

But thats because Portability isn't much of a factor for me though, there's precious few momentsI'd want to bring games with me out of the house and when they are smaller form products like iOS and android games fit the bill better. A few maps of 100 rogues when I have 5 or 10 minutes or so.

Since they tried this exact same thing in the past, bringing their console franchises to a strong portable in 2004/5 and it didn't seem to pan out until MH2G opened the flood gates in Japan. Maybe if they hit things harder and protect it from piracy a little better it'll secure more confidence in the west, but I worry. It's really nice hardware though, certainly makes the 3DS look like a flimsy toy, Nintendo has those killer family franchises they can avoid the pitfalls of this kind of device with pretty handily, though.

I'd probably crack for gravity daze, uncharted and that acquire ninja game if the prices weren't a bit too out there for me.250 plus memory, plus 40 to 50 per game.... Just a bad time for me to buy new stuff with all the software and random upgrades I've been doing lately.

If I could get uncharted, memory and the machine for 250 yeah I'd probably have already bit on it as someone put it.

Go to an airport to see what portable systems people are using. After all, they are a captured audience and the key kind of people to use the systems.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

What's this reason?
I'm sincerly curious to know more about it,if you can talk about it :D

Kusagari

3DS did slightly under 400k its first month. I'd be absolutely shocked if Vita beat that. If it does though, will be interesting to see how this board reacts.

i-Lo

I want don't want to spend over 250 plus tax on Vita where it's operable to play a game. This means that I'll have to wait for a price drop on the memory cards. Perhaps this year's fall.

With regards to units sold, the rate would increase significantly with the launch of Monster Hunter. Wish they'd sell it in NA.

So far, the devs of Vita have the right idea about cross platform play. In time, I hope it becomes a mainstay wherever applicable.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Then you have a bunch of titles like Uncharted, Origins, Marvel, Fifa, etc. which can be A. experienced on the consoles and/or B. offer extremely similar experiences to what is offered on the consoles. Fi

But as we saw with the 3DS, games can and will change everything. Just like OOT 3D, Mario 3D, and Mario Kart 7 combined with a price drop brought the 3DS back to life, a $199 Vita (including a Memory card) along with a quality Call of Duty, Final Fantasy X, and Assassins Creed would most likely do the same.

So the console style experiences you're claiming s a negative is also what Vita could use to help turn things around?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Go to an airport to see what portable systems people are using. After all, they are a captured audience and the key kind of people to use the systems.

Or if you have children you notice what systems their friends have. I don't think my kids had a single friend that didn't own a DS.

hatchx

Banned
You guys need to also acknowledge February is not a big month for sales. Vita is a sexy little machine, but no matter how you shake it February is an awkward time to launch a console.

Has hardware ever launched in February?

Top Bottom