• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vote - Predict Xbox Scarlett sales. How much units it will sell?

How much units MS will sell of Xbox Scarlett?

• More than PS4 and Switch combined.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I feel like Microsoft turned a corner since the disaster that was the Xbox One launch. There’s still a way to go to capture the 360’s magic though so I voted as such.

It is mostly Sony’s game to lose though.

Stuart360

I picked 'More than Xbox One but less than 360. I feel Scarlett will probably sell 60-70mil life time, unless next gen is stupidly long like 8-10 years, then i could see it approaching 360 levels.
I think Xbox will def bounce back a bit next gen, but i feel Sony's hold will still be too strong to allow 360 levels.
I'm sure Microsoft would take those numbers right now as well if they could. I very much doubt Microsoft think, or even care, about 'winning' next gen, they core more about having a successful console they can sell tons of services and Gamepass from.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Less than Xbox One

When One launch the original game like Sunset Ovrdrive, Halo, Ryse, Killr Instinct were used to be Xbox One exclusives

People are now aware that from now on every xbox game are coming to PC

People will have more desire to upgrade PC ( Xbox+ PC game not coming to console)

More options more game to play

Last edited:

Codes 208

A bit less than the Xbox One.
Id argue MS is in a good position for a rebound after the failures of the xbox one. The xbo did so poorly compared to ps4 for a lot of reasons but namely the launch was abysmal and the frequent 180’s and mismanagement put it at a major disadvantage. Launching a new system with BC, promised higher quality games, an improved online infrastructure and aiming for a moderate price alone sounds 100x than tvtvtvkinecttv

First impressions can really make a difference. It took ps3 years to catch up to the 360 for those similar fuck ups.

Orta

Banned
Reckon it'll be a moderately respectable flop. Figures in the region of 40m.

The Playstation brand is just too strong and I can't see Sony fucking up after the lessons learned following the ps3. Their first party/exclusive content will again be the undoing of Microsoft.

Less than Xbox One

When One launch the original game like Sunset Ovrdrive, Halo, Ryse, Killr Instinct were used to be Xbox One exclusives

People are now aware that from now on every xbox game are coming to PC

People will have more desire to upgrade PC ( Xbox+ PC game not coming to console)

More options more game to play
Yes, you are right. PC gonna hurt it real bad

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Better than Xbox One, less than 360 I think.

Hoping it does well though. Better for everyone to have a healthy Xbox being around.

PocoJoe

Banned
1/3 of ps5

So maybe less than xbone.

Xboxs problem is, that it sells good on US, not so good around the world.

PS sells good almost everywhere.

Xbox is worse as a brand, worse as a gaming platform(less exclusives, bad exclusives, worse controller, worse and messy OS+store).

And this gen didnt do them any favours on those aspects, so I would bet it is impossible for them to win next gen, no matter what they have in specs.

I estimate 35-45m life time sales and 120-130m for ps5

Birdo

Banned
Hard to predict. Anything can happen, and the public are very unpredictable.

If someone asked me how the Switch would sell before it released, I would have said less than the Wii-U :messenger_confounded:

Last edited:
I voted more than xbox one but less than 360 because i see it doing very well in the USA.

Overwise, i see it bombing hard in Japan and Europe. I feel PS5 had already win with BC. XBOX needs to be in the same power league, less expensive, with a lot of great solo 1st party exclusive to be successfull like GOW, Horizon and TLOU.

The wost thing is that there is no real hype from Microsoft about it, not a great story telling. This E3 was so bad, and Sony will be massive for the next one. I don't see how they can turn things well, they have already launch game pass and bc and the more powerful machine and it does not work. They are still far from the actual PS4 sells.

Repeating the same loop is not going to fix things out.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Id argue MS is in a good position for a rebound after the failures of the xbox one. The xbo did so poorly compared to ps4 for a lot of reasons but namely the launch was abysmal and the frequent 180’s and mismanagement put it at a major disadvantage. Launching a new system with BC, promised higher quality games, an improved online infrastructure and aiming for a moderate price alone sounds 100x than tvtvtvkinecttv

First impressions can really make a difference. It took ps3 years to catch up to the 360 for those similar fuck ups.

Sony's start with the PlayStation 3 was much worse, but they were able to turn it around late in terms of console sales.

Xbox couldn't do that this generation, even pushing for consumer friendly services.

I expect PlayStation 5 and The next XBox to sell slightly less consoles compared to this generation, and part of that has to do with Nintendo being a factor compared to when they released the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles.

Zannegan

Trick Question: Scarlett is just the code name, and therefore won't sell any units. What do I win?

Also, sales speculation is absolutely pointless at this point. You wanna talk possible games, features, flops, secret sauce, etc. I'm down. But how can you even begin to guess at a console's value to you personally and the market at large when you haven't even seen the controller yet?

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Sony will bomb so hard with PS5. It’s going to be a bloodbath.

Curious to know why you think that when they've been the sales leader for 3 out of 4 generations, and 2nd in the one they didn't win. The hardware's going to be identical enough to the vast majority of people that buy consoles, it's been a year longer for Sony since their hardware revision, and they have first party games that aren't on PC. So how is it going to be a "bloodbath"..?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going with "More Than Xbox One but Less than Xbox 360" lifetime sales.
Sony will bomb so hard with PS5. It’s going to be a bloodbath.
It has the cinematic exclusive games mainstream gamers like though?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry to be 'that' guy but how do I vote in these, I can never seem to see the button just a list of options and results.
I Neo Member from 2013? Weird, I could have sworn I saw somebody that had a month or two here and became a regular Member. Maybe it is based off post count?

Airbus Jr

Banned
More than XBOX ONE for sure. No way it's gonna beat Play Station, too many ponies out in the wilds.

bruh..:messenger_winking_tongue:
tenor.gif

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
My guess less then the original Xbox (25m units) over a 4 year period, although I voted the last one because MS doesn't care about the hardware.

Right now Xbox One is tracking (monthly sales) way below original Xbox sales of about 5m units right now, it will sell its first 6 months than I think it nosedives below original Xbox numbers. The numbers continue to go down and at a constant rate.

Last edited:

yoyo67

I put it at more than 360, as long as there’s no drama going into next gen it should be a powerful console launching with halo, which is a great start for xbox. Like Zelda was for switch.

Dabaus

Banned
Depends on price. If it’s the same price as the ps5 and Sony dont do something extremely stupid then in it will probably be similar to how this gen played out.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I think it will sell less than the X1X. Brand recognition in Europe and Asia is still the same as before and with no more exclusives, anyone that has a gaming pc has zero reason to buy one.
The best next gen combo will be PC + PS5 (+ Switch).

The issue is that currently their existing strategy revolves around retention of their existing customers, but nothing about expanding their console sales. And even fans of Xbox are starting to parrot the marketing line that "console sales don't matter".

MS knows full well that console sales matters, otherwise they would have gone third party by now. But if their current marketing goes too well, it might convince their own loyal customers to not buy a Scarlet and gotten a PC instead.

With the rise of services like gamepass on PC i think it will sell less than Xbox One. Not by a big margin, but less.

The Xbox is still tainted as the console with no exclusives and MS promotes it mostly as a service, so in that department the service will go really good, the hw not that much.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
More than X, but less than the rest of the One line.

I highly doubt it'll shift more than 50m units life-time.

More than Xbox but less than Xbox One, assuming Xbox One sales are higher. It would be nice if we had official numbers from Microsoft instead of analyst estimates.

PS4 and Switch combined or all of last-gen and current-gen combined doesn't seem very likely. The fact that Xbox exclusives are also coming to PC means overall sales will be less focused; PS4 and Nintendo exclusives are still only available on their respective consoles.

Last edited:
IMO is too early for a poll, least we should wait for E3 20' , Anacondas price $ , exclusives+3rd party multi-plat gms accompanying systems launch..to get the general idea where we at..no?

Trogdor1123

I figure somewhere between the 360 and the x. The x would have done much better if the launch hadn't been so mangled so I think they will look to recover from that still.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Less than Xbox One. Microsoft is intentionally de-emphasizing* their hardware platform in favor of cloud and streaming. I don't see how that will lead to higher sales. Xbox One was meant to be an all-in-one box. Xbox Scarlett is likely just one option among several to access next-gen Xbox content.

I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox One was "forward compatible" with the Xbox Scarlett library via streaming.

*not to be confused with "completely getting rid of"

Less than Xbox One. Microsoft is intentionally de-emphasizing* their hardware platform in favor of cloud and streaming. I don't see how that will lead to higher sales. Xbox One was meant to be an all-in-one box. Xbox Scarlett is likely just one option among several to access next-gen Xbox content.

I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox One was "forward compatible" with the Xbox Scarlett library via streaming.

*not to be confused with "completely getting rid of"
The issue is that the less Scarlet sells, the less valuable Scarlet as a platform becomes. And yet no matter how few consoles you sell, you still had to pay full price to develop the hardware to begin with.
Hypothetically, if Scarlet MAU drops below PC Xbox customer MAU, Ms would likely have little choice but to cut Scarlet;s future replacement. Because at that point keeping the console ecosystem would no longer be efficient. You really need a critical number of consoles sold, to justify designing and making a console.

I mean, I am not saying it is likely. I assume that the side businesses would stay only as a distraction. I am just saying that Scarlet need to carry its own weight, and it would be harder to do that now that Xbox is splitting resources away from it.

We may want to wait until the reveals and "launch window" titles reception. Also the move to the new generation will be unlike anything we have seen, if I am not mistaken many games will work directly on machines from each generation out of the box, making it less likely that people will jump ship.

We may want to wait until the reveals and "launch window" titles reception. Also the move to the new generation will be unlike anything we have seen, if I am not mistaken many games will work directly on machines from each generation out of the box, making it less likely that people will jump ship.
However new gamers are born every day. And having a lead long enough can cause entire nations to pick a console over another and never look back. Mainland Europe and Asia had culturally shifted to the point that Xbox no longer hold big mindshare. MS can possibly reverse this, but not something that can be done in one gen unless the PS5 sets itself on fire.

Never say never, but changing of victors in console wars are usually caused by the former reigning champion making a mistake, more than anything.

DanielsM

Banned
However new gamers are born every day. And having a lead long enough can cause entire nations to pick a console over another and never look back. Mainland Europe and Asia had culturally shifted to the point that Xbox no longer hold big mindshare. MS can possibly reverse this, but not something that can be done in one gen unless the PS5 sets itself on fire.

Never say never, but changing of victors in console wars are usually caused by the former reigning champion making a mistake, more than anything.

The console warz are more or less over. Microsoft will produce hardware if serves a purpose, but at some point, they're fighting a uphill battle that gets steeper and steeper. Microsoft is trying to slowly convince its existing user base to move to Windows PC, or alternatively play Microsoft games on other platforms/devices or use their "services". It will eventually all be "service" based.

Last edited:
Top Bottom