• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voting-GAF: Best Online FPS of all Time

Cartman86

Banned
Half-Life 2

EDIT: Oops ONLINE fps. This much harder for me to answer then I thought it would be. Quake III, Unreal Tournament, CS and Battlefield 1942 were part of my online FPS formative years.

I think i'll go with Counter Strike (any).

I was slowly introduced to PC gaming at the time of the internet becoming a thing. I think the first "online" FPS I played was Unreal Tournament on two player LAN. Due to a combination of circumstances, this multiplayer use of the internet eluded me.

I think it might've been the first game I played online. In any case it's the one that's etched into my memory. Because by the gods had I not before experienced anything of the like. And judging by everyone else also running around like headless chickens and one after another ramming a plane into that one palm tree, no one had. Few cared about bothering to find out what you were supposed to be doing, just weeeeee! The scope, scale and chaos blew my mind. And it never really stopped.
396447-screenshot114.jpg

Salute, Battlefield 1942.

Tunin

Unreal Tournament 1999 and CS 1.6.
I spent countless hours playing UT99 with bots and honestly I still miss it, Deck16 is one of the best maps ever created.

Nowadays I usually play BFBC2, the best choice out there IMHO.

daevv

I haven't played many PC shooters but I do like Battlefield Heroes.

My top 2 based upon time played are from this gen of consoles:

1- Battlefield Bad Company 2 I played both the 360 and PS3 versions to 100% trophies and achievements. about 140-150 hours total. That's the most I've played anything online ever.

2- Warhawk Back when I only had a launch PS3 to game on there wasn't anything good to play for almost the first year I fell in love with this game. 50+ hours total. I know it's not a FPS...

I also played alot of FEAR and Resistance: Fall of Man online that first year on PS3

~d

PuppetSlave said:
CS. Doesn't really matter which version to me. Joined the cs train on beta 0.5 and for a while I was one of those that preached how beta 0.6 was the best version and how much the later betas sucked. Well I got over it. Different is not always worse or better, just different.
How about CS Source? I tried that again a couple of weeks ago, and can't believe how shitty it is now with the achievements/TF2 style bullshit (the 2d overlay interfaces aren't really different from TF2, just feels extremely cheap and shitty in Source). The fucking view of all team members minimap. Source always got a lot of shit, but it was still pretty entertaining, but what the hell happened to this game. Someone should clearly kidnap Counterstrike from Valve. They are completely irresponsible when it comes to these games.

Top Bottom