• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: Bernie Sanders is the Democrats’ real 2020 frontrunner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oni Jazar

Amid a swirl of speculation about Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, Kirsten Gillibrand, Cory Booker, and practically everyone else under the sun as potential Democratic presidential contenders, most of the political class is ignoring the elephant in the room. Bernie Sanders is, by some measures the most popular politician in America, by far Democrats’ most in-demand public speaker, and the most prolific grassroots fundraiser in American history.

Sanders became their champion over the course of 2016 and continues to hold that status now. But while in 2016 he faced a unified — and intimidating — opponent and launched with a ramshackle campaign, today he has a strong national political organization, a proven fundraising track record, and is moving decisively to address his weak points on international affairs, policy development, and minority outreach. Everyone agrees that in a perfect world he’d also wave a magic wand and scrape 10 or 15 years off his age, but that’s not possible. The movement he’s created lacks an obviously more compelling successor, and he continues to be broadly popular with the public.

Predicting the future is a mug’s game. But if Bernie Sanders runs again, he’ll be hard to beat. And as far as one can tell, he’s doing everyone you would do to set yourself up to run again

Full article here:
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/7/5/15802616/bernie-sanders-2020

Are we ready to feel the Bern again? I supported Hillary from primaries to general but I would be ok with Bernie. He is a known entity, always on message and has a passion that the people can get behind in full force. This is something severely lacking in today's Dem pool. Obvious problem is his age. He'd be 78 if he wins. It's not a sure thing he will run but it's looking likely.

Too old, and I'm still worried he didn't weather enough serious opposition research.

Do what politics does: find someone more palatable to carry his message to the people.

mlclmtckr

Banned
If he runs and gets the nomination it will be Clinton all over again. He'll be grudgingly supported by the party and then lose.

Everyone already knows this but there is a lot of juicy Bernie opportunity waiting to be droppoed.

kirblar

Yglesias is obsessed with this narrative when Sanders is going to be 78 in 2020.

It's not going to happen.

Mathieran

Banned
I think Bernie is great but it would be better to get someone just like him but younger. Don't know who that would be though.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Go ahead and get on that train if you want trump to win again.

RPGCrazied

He is gonna be 80 in 2020.

tumblr_n1zi5rWB2V1r7b6cio1_500.gif

This post nails it.

fantomena

PoliGAF gonna go avada kadavra on this thread.

Anyways, hell yes from me. Bernie got my axe, sword, bow/arrow and whatever he needs.

jWILL253

Banned
The man that got mopped in the primaries is the next frontrunner simply because people keep wanting him to speak so we can re-live the primaries again.

Ok.

ezekial45

Banned
He's too old, and he was a part of the most toxic democratic primary run (the drama with Clinton and the DNC) in decades.

This is a big no from me. Sanders had the window in 2016, and he couldn't win. It's too late now.

Neoweee

Maybe a slight frontrunner, but only because he was the (distant) runner-up. He isn't going to be viewed as particularly threatening, and his presence won't discourage anyone from running.

When 20 candidates declare for 2020, his supporters are going to scream at that as evidence of DNC corruption during the 2016 election. But...

1) A weak primary front-runner, if any.
2) A very unpopular sitting president.

... both suggest there's going to be a shitload of candidates.

Sanders is too old, but he was too old this year, and that didn't stop him. I could see him running again just to shit on the Democrats. He'll be a lightning rod for people screaming "rigged!" when he comes in 4th in a 20 person field.

His age will definitely work against him, not to mention put all the eyes on who he picks as his running mate, I think he would be better suited as a VP.

br3wnor

Too old which unfortunately takes Biden out of the running for me as well. I’d actually be fine w/ either of them as a candidate, but it’s gonna be really hard to nominate guys in their late 70’s and be successful. All that being said, IF Bernie does run, I actually see him getting the nomination. He’ll have the biggest core support in the beginning and it’s going to be a madhouse w/ how many people will run and fracture the rest of the base.

Blader

Well he is literally the frontrunner, insofar as he is the most well-known and popular national Dem and was the runner up of the last primary.

He will be too old, and this thread is going to be a total shitshow.

I see a lot of age discrimination in this thread.

It's the most stressful job in the world and he would be by far the oldest to ever take the job. Age is absolutely a legitimate factor to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom