• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: Bernie Sanders is the Democrats’ real 2020 frontrunner

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

Well he is literally the frontrunner, insofar as he is the most well-known and popular national Dem and came was the runner up of the last primary.

He's also the most popular thing/politician in the US according to that Fox News poll from march if I remember correctly.

If they can't field anyone who can beat Bernie in a primary, they deserve another four years of Trump. But that shouldn't be an issue, Hillary knocked him out easily (that is, without having to go negative or attack him literally at all - which is why his approvals are so high). And she was a pretty weak candidate.

As long as it's not Trump again who cares? If Bernie croaks I'm sure his vp will be good to take over and, once again, it's not Trump.

Tons of people care. Yes, smart people will vote for Bernie because Trump is terrible but we just saw that people will use any excuse they can come up with to not vote Democrat. Let's not give them some low hanging fruit.

Id vote for him. I dont care that hes old. I think the things he could accomplish in one year could steer the United States onto a real progressive path.

I see a lot of age discrimination in this thread.

This is for the President of the United States. Just about any criteria is fair game. Age is a fact of life and it is perfectly ok to question someone running for one of the most stressful jobs in the world at that age.

If he can do it and his health allows him to and the indications are he can win, then sure. But it is something that will be brought up constantly.

As long as it's not Trump again who cares? If Bernie croaks I'm sure his vp will be good to take over and, once again, it's not Trump.

I believe it was the Bernie supporters who said "just voting against Trump isn't enough, I need a real reason to vote for the person"

Kind of funny seeing that argument on the other side now

I see a lot of age discrimination in this thread.

The most stressful, scrutinized job in the world. Yeah health and age should be a consideration.

Anyway I really haven't been impressed with him since the election. He has the opportunity to put himself in the leadership role and a public one but continues to dodge putting criticism on the GOP/Trump and puts up friendly fire as much as he speaks out. Personally I think Al Franken has shown himself to be a better leader in being vocal and standing up to Trumpism.

Ac30

Someone who would end their second term at 86 should not run for president. You just don't know what health issues are going to hit fast

Carter is a right spring chicken at 92. A real Southern Democrat, robbed of his rightful second term.

Fuck it, I'm on the #Carter2020 train.

Meowster

That'd be really bad if the frontrunner is an ancient old man. Ugh. No Bernie. No Biden. Find some young blood, people.

theWB27

Too old which unfortunately takes Biden out of the running for me as well. I’d actually be fine w/ either of them as a candidate, but it’s gonna be really hard to nominate guys in their late 70’s and be successful. All that being said, IF Bernie does run, I actually see him getting the nomination. He’ll have the biggest core support in the beginning and it’s going to be a madhouse w/ how many people will run and fracture the rest of the base.

Pretty much the problem with the left. No one is good enough to run against trump of all people.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
1. I hear these same people say Biden is too old.

2. Bernie would get stomped in a national election. I used to think otherwise, but I've changed my opinion. His wife is under investigation for fraud, he says crazy things, etc.

Too old is a problem for tons of reasons. Aside from the physical issues, it also means he's been loitering around in Washington as a professional fence-sitter for decades, and the amount of dirt someone could dig up on him if so motivated is probably absurd.

I would be shocked if his wife's loan scandal was even the worst skeleton he's got in his closet. Even an otherwise solid candidate accumulates a lot of battle damage from decades spent in Washington. A major advantage of Obama was that he hadn't taken too many hits yet.

kirblar

Pretty much the problem with the left. No one is good enough to run against trump of all people.
We have plenty of good candidates not named Elizabeth Warren, Joe Biden, or Bernie Sanders. All will be too old. (Hillary was too old as well this cycle.)

You just don't know them. And this is a good thing because historically Dems win w/ younger candidates fresh to the national consciousness.

ISOM

Bernie Sanders has not done much to win me over since the election ended. We need some new blood, someone who can rally the progressives and the minorities. Because there is a reason why he didn't win the Dem nomination.

Futureman

I'm not really worried about him being too old. Like are people worried he doesn't have the mental faculties to do the job? Or are they more worried he'll die while in office?

SKINNER!

Banned
Biden or bust.

Love Sanders but I doubt he'd get any support and/or money from anyone except his loyal followers and average people. US Politics require you buy your votes and if he can't get in bed with any of the major corporations then he'll perform as well as Independent candidates.

Hell, even if it was Sanders/Trump last year instead of Clinton then the outcome would've been still the same. Wall Street saw Sanders as a joke. Wouldn't surprise me if that's the real reason why the DNC rigged it to get Hillary as their candidate.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The real problem for democrats is that he's like a cult leader and these people who follow him religiously are going to have to be appeased so they actually get to the polls.

He's like a year older than other potential candidates. But I guess there will always be an excuse.

(Age in 2020)

Of people who are either obviously gearing for a presidential race, are being tossed around as one, or have said they might be interested

Kirsten Gillibrand : 54
Al Franken : 70
Mark Zuckerberg: 37
Kamala Harris : 56
Cory Booker : 52
Elizabeth Warren : 72
Joe Biden : 78

Bernie Sanders: 79

"Like a year older"

Sanders is literally only a year older than Biden. Biden isn't the only one in the running.

NO.

1.) he is to old now, he was to old before and I voted for him int he primaries

2.) his wife is under investigation for potentially stealing funds from sanders campaigns
- also some rumor about her either getting a loan from russia for his campaign or getting money from russians injected into his campaign.

--------------

Democrats need a new younger face, someone 45-55 to re-energize the base. but with the current DNC, expect someone 65-70.

Kamala harris is great to watch her be a attack dog, but she wont make it in a presidential race, I'd love to see her as AG though. (potential VP pick but iffy)

Cory Booker is very forgettable unfortunately; he'll be the kaisch of democrats if run.

Mark Zuckerburg, Dear god no. NO. NO.

Al Franken, to old, fun guy that seems to have his head on straight but to old.

Kristen Gilibrand, I suspect the same issues as hilary, from new york, will be slandered similar to Hillary in the 90's.

sanders is to old.

so who does that leave?

I'm not really worried about him being too old. Like are people worried he doesn't have the mental faculties to do the job? Or are they more worried he'll die while in office?

Yes, and yes.

And, like I said, that he has decades of dirt in Washington for opposition research to dredge through. Even votes or solicited opinions that seemed completely reasonable at the time turn into bullets with twenty years of aging in the dirt. (See also: First Lady Clinton.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom