• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: Bernie Sanders is the Democrats’ real 2020 frontrunner

Status
Not open for further replies.

djkimothy

I don't understand those who say if Bernie ran Trump would win 2020. That makes no sense. #NeverHillary may have been a thing but #NeverBern wasn't. Sure people didn't like how the democratic party was divided by BernieBros but with Hillary now out of the picture I could easily see the party unite behind Bern.

Those saying "NO" outright need to prepare for the possibility. It's the infighting that killed dems last time (among a million other things). You're creating a self fulfilling prophecy.

Never bern may not be a thing before but it could crop up next time if dems saw the last election as a result of neverhillary. The purity test may be applied to him this time.

No thanks

He did a good job but we need a new champion

I love the idea of Kamala Harris running but the opposition will be very fierce and nasty

Our country hates women apparently

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think you are missing the point. Why aren't Corbyn and Sanders themselves raising some young leaders under their supervision and promoting the same ideology? I refuse to believe they can't really find any suitable candidates among those young people they inspire to vote for them.

Why haven't them do so in the many years since they are in politics?

Because they can't? Suppose Corbyn found some promising person who wanted to be an MP, and we're still in 2006, 2007. Corbyn gets on well with this person, thinks they're bright stuff, tells them to run to be an MP, wants them to be a protege. This person puts in their application to Labour selection committee... and gets rejected, because there is a Blairite candidate and the selection committee is filled with Blairite politicians. What was Corbyn supposed to do?

djkimothy

No thanks

He did a good job but we need a new champion

I love the idea of Kamala Harris running but the opposition will be very fierce and nasty

Our country hates women apparently

I like the idea of Kamala Harris running. As a former prosecutor i feel like she can put Trump in his place.

'sanders is actually a conniving megalomaniac' is the funniest headcanon that weirdo dems have come up with

Polling consistently shows that anti-Sanders Democrats are much like #NeverTrump Republicans - they effectively don't exist outside of various online, media, institutional, and elite bubbles.

Obviously, one can't and shouldn't extrapolate too much from favorability polling - Sanders having extremely high favorability doesn't necessarily mean that he would win the 2020 primary, or that he should necessarily be the nominee. But the anti-Sanders vitriol is not even remotely representative of how the party rank and file sees him.

Fucking midwest

Who are you even quoting?

homeboy here sez bernie should quit politics to 'focus on himself' and that he'd prefer more trump over him

When your party is so down in the dumps it turns to Sanders. Bernie Sanders always and will only care about one thing, Bernie Sanders. I don't feel age is an issue here, I think character is the issue. I don't want Sanders representing me or the democratic party any longer. Didn't he just switch to being a Dem for the primaries and then switch again once it was all over?

Realistically I think he should retire from politics now to stop pulling focus towards himself as he will never ever ever ever be president. He is nothing but garbage. I'd rather deal with more Trump/Pence than vote for this man. Same goes for Zuckerberg. The democratic party needs to pull itself together and stop acting foolish with these horrible ideas for candidates.

I like the idea of Kamala Harris running. As a former prosecutor i feel like she can put Trump in his place.

After watching how she went in during the hearings I feel like she has enough fire in her belly

It just sucks that we know what is coming from the extremist opposition

There needs to be a real fight for decency in this country

His age is not my biggest worry, but he wont be able to govern. His ideas on scrapping Obamacare and redoing everything from scratch, 15/hr mandated minimum wage, free college for all are not feasible. Its just not pragmatic.

The absolute only reason him being 78 wouldn't be a big deal would be that trump would be 74, so it's not like he's that much older than who he's running against.

The democrats would be better served to find a young 35-45 year old person who can be a Bernie clone. The problem is they'd have to get Bernie to work with them and be with them a lot to actually foster that connection. Keep in mind Bernie didn't identify as a democrat until fairly recently.

I voted for him in the primaries last year, but after seeing how he ran his primary campaign and evaluating his performance, definitely no for 2020.

Iksenpets

Banned
If he wants it, I don't think anyone can stop him. And yeah, he'd win, because while there are a lot of Dems who would prefer someone else, none of them are going to turn down a chance to vote against Trump.

An 80 year old in 2020 was born in 1940. They were over 60 when facebook first started becoming a thing. Do you honestly think someone who was past retirement age for the dawn of the modern internet is best suited to navigate a country into its digital future?

Ronald Reagan and John McCain would like to have a word with you.

Because your body can collapse very quickly and it's an incredibly stressful job.

Completely different style of government so it's not an applicable example.

I understand that but the U.S isn't a monarchy or military dictatorship and should be able to deal with the death of a head of state/head of government (combined positions in your case) since all democratic systems in countries prevent any sort of weird power vacuum concerning succession. There is the vice president and more measures in place concerning succession after that. You are voting for the Vice President as well, the death of the president should not disrupt the foundation.

Granted the issue with Nixon and Agnew with Ford succeeding as someone holding office without a mandate, but this is not the same issue that arises from this particular issue, that was an anomaly.

I know that the president has more power as a single person than other countries but your other arms of government still operate, if someone is healthy to be elected for office then I don't understand the problem of having someone do their work while they hold office.

I find it weird how people are afraid of voting for someone based on their age in a democratic system because they're afraid what the death of a head of state and government will bring.

Jimothy

His age is not my biggest worry, but he wont be able to govern. His ideas on scrapping Obamacare and redoing everything from scratch, 15/hr mandated minimum wage, free college for all are not feasible. Its just not pragmatic.

Yeah cuz picking a "pragmatic" candidate worked so well last time.

Synless

So are you saying it isn't a valid concern? We already had one older president suffer from Alzheimer's in Reagan and Trumps mental capacity is still being debated. Why risk it for one of the most important jobs on earth? It's a valid concern imo, he's no Spring chicken.
You like other posters who have quoted me are making an assumption that he has those issues. If he doesn't, then it doesn't matter if he's older. If he falls under the appropriate age requirements then he's good to go. And I wasn't addressing people who at least try and make a point as to why like you, but the ones who are just saying he's too old, no thanks.

DonShula

Kamala Harris would be viewed as an elite, coastal liberal out of touch with the Rust Belt.

I wish it would be Kamala Harris, but I don't think she would appeal to the people Democrats need to win over the most in 2020.

She could also drive the Obama-level turnout that negated the Rust Belt factor in 08 and 12. Appealing to that group seems to be a losing proposition for the Democratic Party going forward. It will come around when it realizes the GOP will never bring its jobs back. In the meantime, Dems would be better served to stop chasing that group and encouraging other groups to turn out instead. Fostering a growing base has got to be better than convincing a dying one to ignore Fox News rhetoric.

kirblar

I understand that but the U.S isn't a monarchy or military dictatorship and should be able to deal with the death of a head of state/head of government (combined positions in your case) since all democratic systems in countries prevent any sort of weird power vacuum concerning succession. There is the vice president and more measures in place concerning succession after that. You are voting for the Vice President as well, the death of the president should not disrupt the foundation.

Granted the issue with Nixon and Agnew with Ford succeeding as someone holding office without a mandate, but this is not the same issue that arises from this particular issue, that was an anomaly.

I know that the president has more power as a single person than other countries but your other arms of government still operate, if someone is healthy to be elected for office then I don't understand the problem of having someone do their work while they hold office.

I find it weird how people are afraid of voting for someone based on their age in a democratic system because they're afraid what the death of a head of state and government will bring.
Because when a president gets sick, the staff covers it up. It happened with Reagan. It's happening w/ Trump now.

y2dvd

This whole ageist shit is weird. The guy is still touring across the country doing rallies and is continuously spreading his message that is resonating with more and more with people, even if it isn't with gaf. He has my vote if he runs in 2020.

Sephzilla

I mean, I'll definitely vote for him if he ends up being the Democratic nominee in 2020. But the dude is going to be pushing 80 by then. If they don't go with Bernie, they need to get some young blood.

Yen

GOP don't seem to care much about pragmatism.

By having someone that actually inspires and motivates the youth to get out to vote?

By having someone who'd motivate older white people to hold their nose and vote Trump to save the Republic from Communism, while the young people flake and older minorities just stay home.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

America is the richest country in the world and health care, a decent wage and education are apparently too much to ask for.

Guy is a bit too old fam.

Just accept that 2020 dem primary will be a field of new fresh candidates that we can't completely predict.

Kamala Harris 2020

Kthulhu

So are you saying it isn't a valid concern? We already had one older president suffer from Alzheimer's in Reagan and Trumps mental capacity is still being debated. Why risk it for one of the most important jobs on earth? It's a valid concern imo, he's no Spring chicken.

Trump's issues have nothing to do with his age lol.

Tarydax

Banned

I'm less worried about a president dying from Alzheimer's than I am of them governing with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom