• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voyager 2 confirms "wall of fire" (plasma charged by EM radiation) beyond our solar system

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

The critical information is this:
• Radiation in the Heliosphere (The Sun’s magnetic field of influence) is far lower than in external space.
• Temperatures and radiation levels rise steeply, incredibly so, outside the Heliosphere.
• The presence of hot plasma (charged particles) outside the Heliosphere is created by these very high levels of EM radiation, which remove electrons and create hot particles in large amounts. This is the “Wall of Fire”.
What the Wall of Fire means for the future
This sudden transition to a highly active environment will have a direct impact on any interstellar exploration. It’s a future obstacle course. It presents real issues for any sort of realistic exploration projects.
A few questions now raised by the Voyagers’ data:
• How would these very high levels of radiation affect onboard equipment, let alone people, for example?
• What types of radiation are the most dangerous?
• What shielding is required?
• How do future space missions handle the plasma, heat, etc.?
• What can be done to protect people in this environment?
• What instrumentation is required to identify radiation and other properties?
…It’s a much longer list, but you get the idea. These ARE the future problems, and this is the very first view of them. In context with the exploration and development of space, they’re the new story.

---

Radiation outside of our sun's magnetic sphere is so high, particles are charged and enter the plasma state of matter.

a.k.a "fire"

A video link is provided as well (I really like this guy, and it is his video that introduced me to this piece of news)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The Heliosphere is a giant magnetic field. It shields Earth from the stormy interstellar environments created by external sources. So, it’s a pretty good bet that this information is simply showing us that to beat EM fields and radiation, you need a good, mobile magnetic field.

“Duh”, you say? You’re right. It’s obvious. It couldn’t be more obvious. It has, in fact, always been obvious. Yet space exploration media has droned on interminably and inexplicably for decades about “hazards of radiation” as some sort of future insurmountable obstacle, however imaginary.

Now, we have the information required to demand proper development of EM shields to combat these murderous levels of EM radiation. Get out the buckets and spades, guys, because this is your next job. End this problem. Bury it, and make sure no pedantic SOBs get in the way of solving it.

At least we don't have to create a Gellar Field.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Disappointing news, but I'm sure we'll persevere. We've overcome what seemed to be insurmountable obstacles in the past, and I'm sure our species will be able to do it again.
The "wall" isn't impassible, it's just much hotter than the space within the sun's magnetic aura due to radiation exciting the space dust. The density of particles isn't thick enough to melt either of the Voyager probes, so I cannot imagine it would pose any real threat to space travel.

Kadayi

Banned
Cosmic Radiation?

1961648f4f90cea48c8b40eb86c90378dae6ec55a9318095c2ded64d88465035.jpg

That's not a problem... We Mexicans can dig a tunnel underneath that fire wall...... But in all seriousness, we still haven't reached Mars to "colonize and we're worried about a Fire wall that's far AF.

See, difficult shit like this to overcome is why, as a species, we need to get series about space travel.

No ones going to have time to quibble over the colour of your skin, get angry about what god you pray to or make up a new gender for themselves when we've got to knuckle down and put our heads together to find a way not to be roasted alive by space fire.

Last edited:
How does it get even HOTTER outside of the Sun's Magnetic Field? Is deep Space really that hot in comparison?

What happens when the Sun dies then? Even if the Sun ends up as a White Dwarf, what does that mean for the Planets such as Jupiter/Saturn etc that no longer have that protection of the Magnetic Field?

The "wall" isn't impassible, it's just much hotter than the space within the sun's magnetic aura due to radiation exciting the space dust. The density of particles isn't thick enough to melt either of the Voyager probes, so I cannot imagine it would pose any real threat to space travel.

I bet that the plasma will gradually fade as well with distance from the solar system. The high frequency EM will probably stay constant, though.

Theoretically, warp bubbles would give safe travel, as the radiation would bend around the bubble just like the rest of space. Deflecting light overwise is difficult.

John Day

I would assume, thinking on layman science here, that it’s very hot at the limits of our sun’s influence because particles running that distance from the sun slow down until reaching that distance. So, bear with me, maybe they don’t just dissapear away when stopping at that distance, but rather just accumulate there?

Talking shit here of course, but that news is rather exciting! Another barrier to break through!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
woah that is wild. temperature rises outside of the heliosphere? that is kind of weird, that the area around the sun would be colder than the area outside of it.

interstellar science is fascinating but very strange. what we think of as space isn't really just empty area, and heavenly bodies seem to have an immense impact on that "empty space". the future of space travel will require a level of understanding all of this that we have yet to comprehend.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cool to hear. Like the scare every few years an asteroid is approaching Earth and all it takes is a small change in angle and we're all dead. Batting 0.000.

Whatever hot plasma is out there A. Likely won't hurt us, and B. Even if it does, it'll reach Earth in probably the year 240,544,102

John Day

Cool to hear. Like the scare every few years an asteroid is approaching Earth and all it takes is a small change in angle and we're all dead. Batting 0.000.

Whatever hot plasma is out there A. Likely won't hurt us, and B. Even if it does, it'll reach Earth in probably the year 240,544,102
Nah i don’t think article is meant to alarm us that it’s coming to us. But rather, about our space exploration beyond the solar system, which is still very very, oh very, far away lol.

Thurible

this is the most depressing thing to come out in some time
I personally wouldn't call it depressing, disappointing perhaps. Maybe we can't send probes to instellar space now, but we may find a way in the future. Either way, I don't expect humanity itself ever moving beyond the solar system, if even that.

EDIT: Scratch that, I didn't properly understand what was going on.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Keep in mind that the "wall of fire" is because the space is not protected by the sun's magnetic field. A solution to keep any probes safe in this zone could be engineered. I want to reiterate that both Voyagers are in this zone without immolating and they've been sending back temperature data, which is how we know about this phenomenon in the first place.

It'd be more dangerous to land a probe on Venus or deeper into Jupiter than going into this outer region beyond the sun's heliosphere.

Mihos

Gold Member
The density of this radiation is still incredibly low. Low enough that tech from the 70s can survive it. I mean a density of 2 ionized particles per cubic kilometer up from 1 is a 100% increase and considered sharp in an op-ed piece

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is probably good news because it means there is a higher density of stuff out there that can be collected and utilized. It is very unlikely that we will ever be able to accelerate anything to a good fraction of light speed so collisions are less concerning than the ability to collect particles for remass using a mag scoop.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Ever seen that show "Ascension" where they've basically believed they've been in space, but its just an experiment to see how people would react to living out in space

Queue Johnny Cash

ExpandKong

Banned
We will be sending robots on interstellar missions, not humans.

I think this was the exact premise of beloved janky-ass PS2 game, Robot Alchemic Drive (R.A.D.)

In that game, “nectar radiation” or “the nectar barrier” was the thing prohibiting humans from further space travel, so the giant kickass robots were created to be our galactic progeny, so to speak.

Also best voice acting ever

Basically nasa is gonna start building gundams so get excited

Top Bottom