• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voyager 2 confirms "wall of fire" (plasma charged by EM radiation) beyond our solar system

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Baby steps. We should figure out how to walk around our own solar system before we go running headfirst at the hellwall.
Sure, but it's helpful to know this information so that we can possibly begin sending probes into the outer Kuiper belt and the Oort belt, the latter which would take over 100 years to reach at presently-feasible craft-speeds.

Romulus

Love space. Wish I was born like 300 years on the future though.

I'm not sure I would. Its looking like a daunting task to be able to sustain current society in the next 60 years without a collapse. 300 years from now just seems like the planet will be drastically different in terms of climate too, maybe in a rebuilding phase with pockets of civilization.

Super Mario

Banned
This is just so fascinating. that it's almost hard to believe. We built a probe in the 70s that traveled over 40 years on one power source, blasting at an extremely fast paced, while not needing a repair, and transmitting data extremely far away. Look at the technology we had back then.

Oh and, someone should tell NASA that walls are ineffective. This should be simple to circumvent

Bwesh

Just wear two space suits duh.

Seriously though, I think we're just stuck in our own neighborhood until we learn to create our own wormholes. I just hope the earth doesn't give up too early on us.

lock2k

Banned
Depressive why? We are not ever getting out of here. And if humanity does, we will all be long gone anyway. Enjoy the watery rock.

Ivory Blood

By the time humanity needs to deal with this, we'll all be cyborgs with metal made from alloy capable of resisting the flames of outer space. There, problem solved.

Last edited:
469.gif
2fc.jpg

If/when we are capable of building a space ship that can safely exit the solar system, I can only imagine how advanced a large swath of technologies will be. I hope to live to be old enough to see that stage of technological development.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's just another obstacle of many for interstellar travel. We'll overcome like we always do.

What I find fascinating is that it is also a shield. Just like how the Earth's magnetic shield protects us from the sun's radiation, the Sun's magnetic field protects the entire solar system from, whatever the hell else is out there.

-BLITZ-

Well, I have three things in my mind. The video description was superb.
- our solar system is a prison (a trap) for us, where superior beings want to keep us here and do experiments positive or negative.
- the sun is a protective field that helps protect our solar system while we move through the cosmos. (spiral / vortex theory)
- Nikola Tesla was right about the cosmic energy, present in our cosmos and that is unlimited.

Myths

This is pretty concerning if we’re looking to step outside our own house. But, what’s even worse is we’ll never be able to observe or acknowledge the presence of galaxies or even clusters moving away from us.

How does it get even HOTTER outside of the Sun's Magnetic Field? Is deep Space really that hot in comparison?

woah that is wild. temperature rises outside of the heliosphere? that is kind of weird, that the area around the sun would be colder than the area outside of it.

Temperature is a measure of the average energy of molecular motion in a substance. Since the heliosphere acts as some kind of deflector shield against interstellar particles, it makes sense that temperature within the heliosphere is lower as particle density and molecular motion decreases.

Temperature is not the same as heat, it merely measures the speed of atoms, molecules and particles of a substance. Higher particle density and faster moving particles equals more temperature. The sun keeps most of the interstellar particles away, hence why the region around it has a lower temperature.

That's some serious headline fuckery for sure. No, there is no literal 'wall of fire' at the edge of the solar system, and no it would not prevent a spacecraft, robotic or manned from passing through it.

Top Bottom