• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) - dead on arrival?

Will VRR be utilized in next-gen consoles?

• Total voters

ethomaz

Banned
Freesync Premium has low framerate compensation.
Yes and no.

FreeSync Premium allow LFC (low framerate compensation) like you said but it doesn't mean it was created to to low framerare like 20, 30, etc.

It is called like that because it can works with framerates that go below the minimum refresh rate of the monitor... in any case most monitor have a minimum refresh rate of 60fps so FreeSync Premium allow them to work with 40fps for example.

With monitors with minimum refresh rate of 45Hz you will probably can go lower close to 30fps (36fps if I'm not wrong).

LFC only works with monitors that have at least max refresh rate 2.5x the minimum refresh rate.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Yes and no.

FreeSync Premium allow LFC (low frameratecompensation) like you said but it doesn't mean it was created to to low framerare like 20, 30, etc.

It is called like that because it can works with framerates that go below the minimum refresh rate of the monitor... in any case most monitor have a minimum refresh rate of 60fps so FreeSynce Premium allow it to work with 40fps for example.
I thought you were talking about TVs, I've seen nvidia g-sync monitors able to change from 1 to 200 Hz, the compatible ones have a minimum hz of 40/48 Hz usually.

LFC helps reduce stutter from 30 fps content by duplicating frames rather than lowering the hz to the fps. It's still better to have it than not. That's why I hope PS5/XSX support Freesync premium.

Ashtyr

Neo Member
I thought you were talking about TVs, I've seen nvidia g-sync monitors able to change from 1 to 200 Hz, the compatible ones have a minimum hz of 40/48 Hz usually.

LFC helps reduce stutter from 30 fps content by duplicating frames rather than lowering the hz to the fps. It's still better to have it than not. That's why I hope PS5/XSX support Freesync premium.

And below 30 fps as well. Thanks to the LFC I have been able to play some games on the Xbox that hardly reached 30 fps, spending a long time in twenty-odd, with a tearing that cut your face, it was to activate freesync and be able to play it without tearing on the TV

We have people on neogaf who are saying 4k TVs are still niche. HDMI 2.1 TVs have been out for a few months. It will take AT LEAST half a decade for it to become mainstream.

Sometimes technology isn't dead it just takes time to be adopted.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Neither VRR or Freesync/GSync works with low framerate.

GSync is disabled below 30fps and FreeSynch doesn't work below 40fps.

I rarely play below 100Hz so I guess my personal definition of "lower framerates" is different than other's.

Last edited:

Soodanim

For anyone that hasn’t experienced it, if you start seeing fast motion at 80fps and above you’re never going to want to go back. When you start getting COD and GTA it WILL catch on. Wait until YouTubers start blasting out the positives. They all copy each other’s content anyway, then sales rocket.

Armorian

Banned
For anyone that hasn’t experienced it, if you start seeing fast motion at 80fps and above you’re never going to want to go back. When you start getting COD and GTA it WILL catch on. Wait until YouTubers start blasting out the positives. They all copy each other’s content anyway, then sales rocket.

Less than 1% of console players will have tv with RR above 60Hz, even less that will know how to set things up to actually see this on their screens (same for HDR to this day).

There are lots of people that can't see difference between 30 and 60FPS (or at least they claim that) :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Soodanim

Less than 1% of console players will have tv with RR above 60Hz, even less that will know how to set things up to actually see this on their screens (same for HDR to this day).

There are lots of people that can't see difference between 30 and 60FPS (or at least they claim that) :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I can easily see one company bringing out a middle range 120VRR to appeal to younger console players. They bring out a 32” for kids’ bedrooms and make it a reasonable price? Easy money. They don’t need to give it fantastic sound or colour either.

Companies easily sell accessories to give people any advantage, they’d buy something like that too.

games are usually designed and tuned with those frequencies in mind, like you said, it would kind of have to be supported by devs

i'd rather they work on the game itself and how it plays

if we're not careful, we'll end up like PC gamers that play with their hardware and settings more than anything

ever wonder why they like crysis?...You can turn up the foliage settings, and stroke your liquid cooling system

my recommendation?...maybe you're a pc'gamer'?

Neither VRR or Freesync/GSync works with low framerate.

GSync is disabled below 30fps and FreeSynch doesn't work below 40fps.

It does on LG CX/BX. Both have freesync premium, 4k VRR range from 40hz to 120hz and LFC which means they work from 0fps to 120fps.

I tested it on my 55cx and it works below 30fps. According to rtings those two are the only TVs that support full range VRR and LFC.

Last edited:
I know exactly what it is. You misunderstood my post. Most games that are locked at 60fps, actually target slightly above that framerate so that it makes it far less likely to get under 60 fps. Some games obviously do a better job than others. But unlocking those frames on an HDMI 2.1 will create the possibility to hit higher frames. There aren't going to be many (if any) games that target 120 fps on consoles since those with TVs capable at 4K will be so small. But I suspect that there will be some games who can get between 60 - 90 fps, that VRR will be able to take advantage of. HDMI 2.1 have a VRR range of 48 -120.

Non-HDMI 2.1 TVs are going to be limited to 60 fps since output at 4K is limited to 60Hz.
Even many 30fps games probably hold frame rates around 50... It's not unreasonable to assume that they hold at least 40 something over 95%of the time.

Honestly, as a console gamer, VRR + LFC is much better than proper HDR. It completely eliminates the need to lock games at 30fps/60fps. Even games like Wolfenstein on Xbox one X look smooth with the right panel. It's seriously a game changer. Unfortunately, it's really expensive right now unless you get a PC monitor.

The reason why I game on TV and not a monitor is size.

PC gamers sit behind a desk on a chair but if you're a few meters away on a couch or lounge fauteuil you kinda want a big screen. And TVs will always be more expensive because of that.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I hate these retarded polls that only have options to reinforce the views of the OP and not any dissenting views.

VRR is here and it isn't going anywhere.

Top Bottom