• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wait do people still not know about the 11:11:11 save file trick in MGS1?

Uraizen

Banned
Considering it's you, I have no reason to doubt this happened. However, it happening because of the time he saved? Eh... maybe.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Considering it's you, I have no reason to doubt this happened. However, it happening because of the time he saved? Eh... maybe.

I can't really think of another reason it happened. I mean I saved where he did as well and I never had anything happen to me.

Jams775

This is like the time my friend and I could have sworn we saw a Gameshark code for MGS that let you use Cyborg Ninja's sword. WE COULD HAVE SWORN! But we never found that code ever again and never even tried it. We always questioned ourselves wondering if we actually seen it or our eyes were playing tricks.

This honestly shouldn't be that difficult to prove.

I mean, wouldn't you have to just turn on MGS, set a timer for like 11 hours and 5 minutes, save the game then, and then save the game in a different file right on the mark 11:11:11 mark?

The only real difficulty would be the timing.

Q is legit, he wouldn't lie for attention, whether true or not.

That said, I was once messing around with the cheat codes in Sonic 2 and managed to make a Super Tails. Wasn't a different sprite, it was just Tails with invincibilty. Can't remember how I did it and never saw it anywhere, probably because it's not important. Eh.

I recently started playing MGS again on my PS3, and there was one period where I left the game sitting on for several hours. my last save is at 8:07, so I'm tempted to see if this works by letting the game sit for the next 3 hours. However, It looks like the save files only record hours and minutes, not seconds.

linko9

This honestly shouldn't be that difficult to prove.

I mean, wouldn't you have to just turn on MGS, set a timer for like 11 hours and 5 minutes, save the game then, and then save the game in a different file right on the mark 11:11:11 mark?

The only real difficulty would be the timing.

Would be easy enough to do in an emulator with save states.

Toparaman

Banned
Imru’ al-Qays;128060153 said:
Well, you wouldn't really have to waste time. You could just start the game, get to a save point, and leave the console on for 11 hours, then save your game a little bit before 11:11:11 just in case you mess up.

If MGS supports multiple save files, be sure to utilize that as well just in case.

The burden of proof is on the OP, so he should do it.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I recently started playing MGS again on my PS3, and there was one period where I left the game sitting on for several hours. my last save is at 8:07, so I'm tempted to see if this works by letting the game sit for the next 3 hours. However, It looks like the save files only record hours and minutes, not seconds.
Hmm it was a long ass time ago, :l Maybe my memory added the seconds part from something else.

11:11 would be way easier to land on.

Im slightly confused, did your brother save the game after 11hrs, 11 mins and 11 sec... or was did he save when the system clock read 11:11:11... also during the day or night?

MormaPope

Banned
Proving this theory is challenging because anyone semi competent at MGS1 can beat it under 6-7 hours watching cutscenes, 3-5 hours without.

So, if I leave my PS2 running for 11 hours and this shit doesn't happen, you owe my PS2 those eleven hours.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Im slightly confused, did your brother save the game after 11hrs, 11 mins and 11 sec... or was did he save when the system clock read 11:11:11... also during the day or night?

It was the save file time. It's a ps1 game :p
Proving this theory is challenging because anyone semi competent at MGS1 can beat it under 6-7 hours watching cutscenes, 3-5 hours without.

So, if I leave my PS2 running for 11 hours and this shit doesn't happen, you owe my PS2 those eleven hours.

You have any saves near the torture part incase it's tied to that?

If anything I rather have someone try it out on an emulator to save time.

Well no, but the sketch bug in the Phoenix cave was something else.

"what am I going to do with hundreds of Atma weapons?"

Don't know if it was related but I had this weird glitch on the Triangle Island with Sketch where the entire UI became weird. Some of the pixels changed, like weird colours, and I think one of the characters became another one, and all the attack menu options changed, and I was able to throw Meteors or something. I remember it was Shadow, Relm, and I think it had something to do with trying to Sketch that invisible behemoth or something that spawns there on the Triangle Island during the World of Balance... I barely remember, it must have been nearly 20 years ago.

I do remember I tried to recreate it and I couldn't. Tried a lot because I was playing FF VI so much back then. Every character Lv99 purely-Vit-Spd-Esper-leveled a lot. So I think I was there grinding just 2 or 3 characters there with Bismark becaues I wanted to try not use too many characters to finish the story, so everyone was as low level as possible once I got Odin or whatever that +Spd Esper was. Anyhow, point is, if it was repeatable I think I would have been able to figure it out again.

One of the weird glitches I've ever seen in a game though. Hard to describe but it just seemed to randomly switch pixels and attacks/abilities for characters. Relm looked all weird and red and was throwing meteors or something like an attack. And I think Shadow became Setzer or something. No revived General Leo though :(

Anyone remember the unpetrify Porom and Polom rumours from IV? Maybe that was just a local thing haha. In my local arcade, there was a rumour you could revive Porom and Polom with a Pink Tail or a Spoon Dagger or something crazy rare like that, and they'd replace Rosa and Rydia. Maybe it was started by someone that had already seen the ending, but the rumour was genuinely that you could use them to finish the game.

AHA-Lambda

We need pics...

dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif

I went and fired up my copy of MGS1 on PS3. I actually had a save at 11:10, but there's no second tracker that I can see. I made a save game at 11:11 in the north warehouse. Loaded it. Nothing happened. IDK OP, sounds like we're pushing a truck at the harbour to find Mew to me.

The save file

What happens when I load it.

Granted, I didn't save at 11:11:11, but I don't see how you'd even be able to tell if you had. I call bullshit, OP.

It's funny how some people are so quick to mock the idea that an MGS title may have yet another obscure trick that hasn't been discovered yet. I mean, that's Kojima's thing.

Wait, so you'd need to save your game at exactly 11 hours, 11 minutes, 11 seconds? Seems like it would be nearly impossible to properly time it to save at the second mark. I'm calling BS on this.

You... Save at 11 hours, 10 minutes, then save to a different slot? If you fail, load up the old save and repeat?

Could have been a random save file corruption. Weird thing about MGS1 though is that all the level/gameplay data is on both discs, only the VO/cutscene data is different.

There's a group called RedCode Interactive that does a *TON* of hacking of the MGS series. They put out a dev menu (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpkb8jUXETo) that has the ability to select any level in the game, but if you go to a level normally on disc 2, it just won't have any VO/cutscenes. So it's possible that disc 2 has the data from disc 1 and it just didn't render the cutscene.

Anyway, RedCode Interactive's stuff is worth looking at if you're into MGS, they've found a ton of stuff hidden in the game code.

Wow, awesome.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Apparently you unlock the trailer for the PS1 version of MGS2 that was never released if you save at 55:55.55.

Or was it 66:66.66? :p

MormaPope

Banned
It was the save file time. It's a ps1 game :p

You have any saves near the torture part incase it's tied to that?

If anything I rather have someone try it out on an emulator to save time.

I have my PS2 hooked up via component cables and it doesn't want to output MGS1. And I don't own a cellphone that has a camera, so doing it that way wouldn't really help people believe.

Might have to emulate MGS1 and take screenshots that way, editing the save file time would also make the entire thing much easier.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I went and fired up my copy of MGS1 on PS3. I actually had a save at 11:10, but there's no second tracker that I can see. I made a save game at 11:11 in the north warehouse. Loaded it. Nothing happened. IDK OP, sounds like we're pushing a truck at the harbour to find Mew to me.

The save file

What happens when I load it.

Granted, I didn't save at 11:11:11, but I don't see how you'd even be able to tell if you had. I call bullshit, OP.

Is it possible to make that file the first save slot and see if that's tied to it? If it's not purely time based it must have been something else. I already mentioned that my memory was wack when it came to the seconds part this happened years ago and I just remember a row of ones and finding that cool that he saved it at that time.

The exact specifics of the situation was passed the torture, saved in the room *if I remember right*, time was 11:11 in slot 1

Plot twist. Your brother accidentally deleted or overwrote a save file and then he used a cheat device to get all items to make it seem like it was a weird glitch!

Yeah, I dunno man.

Is it possible to make that file the first save slot and see if that's tied to it? If it's not purely time based it must have been something else. I already mentioned that my memory was wack when it came to the seconds part this happened years ago.

The exact specifics of the situation was passed the torture, saved in the room *if I remember right*, time was 11:11 in slot 1

We're getting into the territory of oddly complex, but yeah, I think I can do that. I'm actually stepping out for a bit though, I'll return later with the results unless someone else ends up beating me to the punch.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Also I'm surprised no one has claimed that Q has 'played us like a damn fiddle' or something.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
That's true about the save files but each MGS game does count seconds as they're displayed along with your rank/scores at the very end. So it coulda been 11:11:00~59 for all OP knows.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sounds like a bug or glitch more than anything.

Looks like it might end up being that way :l I really wish my brother didn't delete his old data :l

was this a completed save file, or was it just in the middle of disc 2 somewhere?
Middle of Disc 2, after the Torture part, and if memory was correct he was successful with it. I remember him saying what a pain in the ass it was to beat it and one of the reasons why he was pissed his data was messed up. Plus I remember being there for when he saved it.

Top Bottom