• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wall Street Journal: Xbox One - "You own an object, but you merely access a service"

watership

I just read it, Its funny that this only applies to games and not Blu Ray movies and other things, basically things MS cannot control or put these rules.

If you read your terms of service for stuff like blu-rays or dvds, you don't own those either. By viewing the movie you're accepting the EULA agreement. Same with games you bought in many generations before... according the the text at least :).

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Xbox%20Go%20Wait%20Outside.jpg

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm actually starting to think that Sony are deliberately staying quiet while MS entrenches themselves in this shitstorm deeper and deeper so they can't flip-flop before E3.

At this point all they have to do to upstage MS at E3 is to play this one card.

Seik

Banned
Right now, Sony has a penalty shot with no wind, at just 1cm to the goalpost. It's their biggest chance for dominating after PS2 era, I hope for the sake of gaming they won't blow it.

No wind? More like no fucking goalie. :p

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If you read your terms of service for stuff like blu-rays or dvds, you don't own those either. By viewing the movie you're accepting the EULA agreement. Same with games you bought in many generations before... according the the text at least :).

Yea but you can sell or lend out a DVD/BluRay without any issues.

I honestly can't believe how they thought they could pull this off... It is hilarious at this point.

The console hasn't been released yet, honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this thing wound up being a success. Hell, movies get shit on all the time in mainstream media. Hating on Twilight is practically mainstream, yet the franchise is huge. I wouldn't place any bets about this console failing just yet, as much as I'd like you to be right.

2San

Is this considered the greatest PR disaster in gaming history?
Well that depends how many consoles they sell in the end. Imo the greatest PR disaster should have done irreversible damage. For example; Arthur Anderson was bankrupt after the Enron scandal. edit: Ah gaming history. I have no idea. xD

If MS suddenly have insanely good exclusives, I might be tempted to buy a x1.

I really don't mind the idea of games as services, but prices absolutely have to reflect that like every other digital distribution model out there.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
oh lord, they're not just on reddit and gaf
CzQvq16.png

What just about to post this. I wonder how many of the employees that were hootin' n hollerin' at the reveal are the same people astroturfing comments/boards.

Its sad and I get why people dont like it but welcome to the future.

And the sad part is we caused it by buying games on steam and buying apps on phones sending the message that we where ok with it.

Jomjom

Banned
If Sony could be the savior of gaming consumers, they would have done it already. Their silence is deafening.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Madden and CoD only on Xbox. LOL, who is he kidding?
Jaw-dropping graphics, oh wow.

Hey, he just gets paid to do those posts--he doesn't need to do any research.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
And the sad part is we caused it by buying games on steam and buying apps on phones sending the message that we where ok with it.

In those instances the trust was earned (Steam) and the incentives were good enough to justify the trade-off. I really dont care who owns a $0.99 time waster on my phone.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Won't matter, I think.

Sadly, Xbone will still be successful despite this garbage.

It's too much. It won't, and if the price is high, it'll crater after having a good launch. You don't want to see all those parents angry. Especially if there are server problems on first days and, then, no one can play anything.

WolvenOne

How are single player games a, "service."

I mean, Cloud Saves? Please, that may be a neat feature, but its not as its a huge advantage over regular saves. Access to the cloud? Pfft, we all know that the Cloud crap isn't adding anyting of substance to the game, EA tried the same claim with Sim City, and they were called out for their bullcrap, fast. Patches? Most patches are to fix bugs and glitches that weren't caught in time for the initial release. Its in a publishers best interest to be able to patch games, where as console games worked just fine before games could be patched.

No, I'm sorry, but physical single player games are a physical product, "NOT," a service.

Bowdz

Right now, Sony has a penalty shot with no wind, at just 1cm to the goalpost. It's their biggest chance for dominating after PS2 era, I hope for the sake of gaming they won't blow it.

Yep. If Sony were to announce the PS4 as having no new DRM (the same system as this current gen i.e. online passes), free online with paid PS+ service, and a $399/$499 price point, they would win E3 without having to show a single game and will win the hardcore crowd going forward. Hell, with all of the negative press MS has been getting, they could just emphasize from the get go that their system is DRM free and that their chief competitors is not to really just twist the knife in. I sincerely hope Sony sees how big of an opening MS has given them to reclaim their former reputation as the gaming centered kings they were in the PS2 era.

IvorB

This is f**king hilarious. The situation was bad for MS already and instead of defusing it they have managed to send it into full nuclear meltdown. These are mainstream news outlets, who normally try to keep a impartial facade, issuing stinging, negative editorial on the issue. That's epic.

I love how EVERY other games company is quiet as zip on this issue right now. None of the publishers or platform holders is saying even a word. They are at the back of the class looking straight down at their desks without a word. This is so hot right now and MS is getting hammered.

Sony, do you want a piece of this? Would you like some of this PR?? To join Microsoft at ground zero? I'm guessing no. So make a wise decision when the time comes.

In those instances the trust was earned (Steam) and the incentives were good enough to justify the trade-off. I really dont care who owns a $0.99 time waster on my phone.

But people HATED steam for years. Steam was the big evil when it launched and it wasnt until later it won people over. I think MS is trying to do that. They will get through this storm and hopefully have a successful console on the other side of it. E3 should be the first part of the winning people over process with boat loads of games and 3rd party exclusives from pubs who demanded this DRM mess in the first place.

Will it be enough? Hard to tell. I think the 24 hour check crosses a line that a lot of people will be unhappy. THATS the line Sony has to not cross. If they have a system that doesnt have a check every day or just leaves the check up to the publisher of that game on boot then they have the better system.

Deku Tree

Steam games can be $4.99 or $9.99 sometimes for a whole series. Apps on phones are 99c most of them. These things also have BC and access to the updates. MS is trying to create a Price floor that will be much higher. Big difference.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I think the cherry on top would be them announcing a $500 price point.

That and trotting out The Rock, who being the people's champion would then deliver a Rock Bottom to whomever was presenting the Xbone. This could be the best E3 ever.

nubbe

Big difference between €1-10 on backwards system compared to €60 on a one system brick.

None of this is really new, though. I'm sure I'm not regurgitating a unique thought, but I can't keep up with this board. I currently "own" games, movies, and books on:

-iOS
-Windows Phone
-Amazon Video
-Amazon Kindle
-Google Play
-XBLA
-Multiple Nintendo stores; Wii and 3DS

I know, and knew going in, that I actually don't own a single one of these. Or in the cases I do, it's tied directly to a very specific piece of hardware. I can't resell or loan out any of them - as far as I know. But I don't care, and based on my little world of influence, I don't see anybody who does care in actuality. The very real conveniences outweigh the theoretical, or I guess more appropriately, potential, drawbacks.

I just can't get concerned about this type of stuff anymore. I cared for a while when I first bought eBooks on the Kindle, but that's years ago.

I am put off by the XO hardware specs and resource utilization of the Hypervisor+2 VM approach. Have to see what E3 can do to alleviate that.

boyshine

There better be a protest planned at the MS E3 briefing. If everyone just sits through it applauding trailers nothing's going to happen. Twitter and GAF is great, but the place to really make MS take notice is at their briefing.

Why do I think they are going to fuck this up. :(

they have to stumble somewhere, no one's perfect. at this point, i'm expecting a somewhat high price for the console and it won't be perfect in terms of drm, but i don't think it will be as bad as microsoft's approach.

Please there is a huge difference between walking into walmart and spending $60 dollars on a disc or browsing a digital store and buying a game for <$10

even my mother can figure that shit out.

top of page.. yay..

Top Bottom